PDA

View Full Version : What if RW hires Cowher and he fails? Then what will the fans say?

Ebenezer
01-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Bill Cowher won a super bowl....but Bill Cowher did not coach all by himself, he didn't scout the talent, draft the talent or sign players out of free agency. Now Bill Cowher has been out of football for three years and Bills fans want him over anybody else as their next coach...but have Bills fans asks themselves these questions?

1. Who will pick the college talent? There is no evidence that Bill Cowher is a master evaluator of college talent or that he has ever single handedly put together a draft. The Bills currently have Modrak in place to do the drafting...how has that worked out in the last nine years?

2. Who will pick the pro talent? There is no evidence that Bill Cowher is a master evaluator of pro talent or that he has ever single handedly put together a plan to acquire pro talent through free agency. The Bills currently have Guy in place to do the drafting...how has that worked out in the last nine years?

3. Who will BC choose as the assistant coaches? BC won a super bowl but it took 14 years. During that time his staff took on many, many different assistant coaches. Although they were winners it took a long time for BC to assemble a staff to win it all. BC has been out of football for three years. Does he still keep lists of competent coaches? Will potential assistants want to work for/with him and where will these potential assistants come from?

All three of these are major, major hurdles that Bills fans appear to be overlooking. What if RW grants the Bills fans their biggest wish...and then BC comes here and falls flat or fails?

Discuss.

Mudflap1
01-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Cowher won't fail. Can't happen. The Bills will be a playoff team again with Cowher.

X-Era
01-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Bill Cowher won a super bowl....but Bill Cowher did not coach all by himself, he didn't scout the talent, draft the talent or sign players out of free agency. Now Bill Cowher has been out of football for three years and Bills fans want him over anybody else as their next coach...but have Bills fans asks themselves these questions?

1. Who will pick the college talent? There is no evidence that Bill Cowher is a master evaluator of college talent or that he has ever single handedly put together a draft. The Bills currently have Modrak in place to do the drafting...how has that worked out in the last nine years?

2. Who will pick the pro talent? There is no evidence that Bill Cowher is a master evaluator of pro talent or that he has ever single handedly put together a plan to acquire pro talent through free agency. The Bills currently have Guy in place to do the drafting...how has that worked out in the last nine years?

3. Who will BC choose as the assistant coaches? BC won a super bowl but it took 14 years. During that time his staff took on many, many different assistant coaches. Although they were winners it took a long time for BC to assemble a staff to win it all. BC has been out of football for three years. Does he still keep lists of competent coaches? Will potential assistants want to work for/with him and where will these potential assistants come from?

All three of these are major, major hurdles that Bills fans appear to be overlooking. What if RW grants the Bills fans their biggest wish...and then BC comes here and falls flat or fails?

Discuss.

That only God himself could save the Bills? :idunno:

Ingtar33
01-11-2010, 05:58 PM
That only God himself could save the Bills? :idunno:

yep.

listen. if Cowher came in, made us respectable and took us to the playoffs half as regularly as he took the steelers he could coach this team as long as he wants to.

I'm at the point right now i just want to look forward to football on sunday.

and yes. those are really lowered expectations

Cntrygal
01-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Consistent competive games would certainly be nice.

SABURZFAN
01-11-2010, 06:01 PM
i'm just going to answer the questions in the title of this thread. it's a big IF hiring Cowher for one and it depends on how much meddling and how tight The Old Fart was gripping the wallet that would lead to Cowher's failure.

mikemac2001
01-11-2010, 06:02 PM
atleast ralph went out and got a big name expensive coach i wouldn't blame him for not trying just maybe the hiring

TacklingDummy
01-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Cowher will fail based on what he has to work with at the QB position.

X-Era
01-11-2010, 06:04 PM
yep.

listen. if Cowher came in, made us respectable and took us to the playoffs half as regularly as he took the steelers he could coach this team as long as he wants to.

I'm at the point right now i just want to look forward to football on sunday.

and yes. those are really lowered expectations

Cant believe Im going to say this.

But it is actually possible that a coord comes in and turns us around. I'm never going to believe it will happen until I see it. But it technically is possible.

I think anyone other than a HC with a big pedigree will face:

1) A front office that's stuck in their ways and will do more of the same
2) A front office that doesn't need to listen to the new guy with no proven track record as a HC
3) Free agents that cant be convinced to come to this team by a guy who isn't a proven winner
4) An entire locker room of current players who will think the new guy will just simply be more of the same
5) A significant portion of the fan base who will be convinced its just more of the same

Luck could strike and we may get it done.

But after 4 straight trips without a win, Music City Miracle, a team that actually fired Bill Polian, etc... I'm not betting on luck anymore.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Fail? BC walks on water. there is no fail in BC.

FlyingDutchman
01-11-2010, 06:05 PM
I want Marty over cowher. He was consistant as hell. Sure maybe his playoff record wasnt the greatest, but his winning % is better than Cowher and hes a firey disciplinarian in which we need. We can break the super bowl curse, and he can break his playoff curse all together...that would be my dream

X-Era
01-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Unlike Cowher, Marty HAS already said no.

Zero
01-11-2010, 06:08 PM

Discuss.

My philosophy here is the same as my philosphy in life: I 'd rather try to do something correctly and GO DOWN IN FLAMES than elect to take the easy way out.

We have tried to hire on the cheap in the past avoiding big named candidates who perhaps required bigtime money- hasn't worked. We have built teams from the skill positions in, rather than start with the lines- hasn't worked. What's the worst that could happen by attempting the opposite?

Ingtar33
01-11-2010, 06:10 PM
I never thought i'd say this but i actually envy Jets fans.

sure, their football team is always massively overrated. they're always pissed because the team never measures up with the hype. They waste 1 round picks on draft busts at a rate faster then the Bills, and go through mediocre coaches like they're going out of style.

yet through it all every other year... or 1 out of every 3 years or so they make a run into the playoffs, mediocre schedule or teams laying down to help em in, or just the luck of the draw gets them there and for a few weeks they get football in January and the chance to look forward to the following season (of course the following year they inevitably fail to live up to expectations and miss the playoffs again, but it would be fun just for a year to see football in January).

X-Era
01-11-2010, 06:12 PM

sure, their football team is always massively overrated. they're always pissed because the team never measures up with the hype. They waste 1 round picks on draft busts at a rate faster then the Bills, and go through mediocre coaches like they're going out of style.

yet through it all every other year... or 1 out of every 3 years or so they make a run into the playoffs, mediocre schedule or teams laying down to help em in, or just the luck of the draw gets them there and for a few weeks they get football in January and the chance to look forward to the following season (of course the following year they inevitably fail to live up to expectations and miss the playoffs again, but it would be fun just for a year to see football in January).

Gholston is the last bust I can think of

Revis
D'Brick
Mangold
Now Sanchez

Wheres the busts?

Mudflap1
01-11-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm with Ingtar33, I just want to watch a football team I'm proud of again. It's been a really long time. Maybe after 10 years of that I'll want something more, but until then, it would be nice to just be able to enjoy Bills football again.

BILLSROCK1212
01-11-2010, 06:14 PM
we'll say WE STINK and B-Schott will go on to become one of the league's best HC

WagonCircler
01-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Great thread. I totally agree.

We need to hire one of those 100% guaranteed not to fail coaches.

Oh.... wait. There's no such thing.

Novacane
01-11-2010, 06:42 PM
If Ralph can pull this off and get Cowher hired I forgive him for all the **** coaches, GM's etc he's given us the last few years. I don't see Cowher failing but if he did I would not blame Ralph.

Jamiezzz
01-11-2010, 06:58 PM
As much as I want Cowher, I am moving on. Get me someone who wants to be in Buffalo, and "build" a winner. Go Bills

McBFLO
01-11-2010, 07:09 PM

Discuss.

I appreciate the post. Good questions raised here.

1. Excellent point. Cowher did not run the show alone. He had a future star coach underneath him in Ken Whisenhunt, and potentially Russ Grimm, not to mention a coaching legend (he is) in Dick LeBeau running that D, plus a very well run organization behind him. Nix is running the show now for the personnel. His talent evaluation and is very highly regarded and respected. Modrak, while being a strong voice in the room, is still just a voice in the room. Nix will call the shot there (unless there is some "final say" thing with Brandon).

2. The pro talent is another question. We all want Guy gone, and if Nix doesn't drop this "guy", well... it might be the first sign that this new regime may not be headed in the right direction.

3. I think it was Florio who questioned whether or not the game may have passed Cowher by just a bit, and that it will even more so if he sits out another year. The history isn't on the side of previous SB winning coaches going back and winning it with a second team (Has it ever happened before? Im lazy ad dont feel like looking), and one more thing needs to be remembered by all the people who insist on the next HC having been before HC before: at one time Bill Cowher was a first-time HC. If he coached the Bills, it would be his 2nd team, so what Cowher did in Pitt, he did as a first time HC. Just keep this in mind when knocking the co-ord route but at the same time willing to accept Cowher as the only acceptable choice here.

I know I've mentioned it in numerous threads, but this is why I'm so high on Russ Grimm. The guy would run the style of football us Buffalo fans would LOVE to see, he'd be the perfect guy to rebuild our OL, he's had a lot of experience in coaching on successful organizations, coaching under the beloved Bill Cowher and Ken Whisenhunt (who, before our very eyes is becoming quite a coach himself). I think this guy, working with Buddy Nix could be a great step towards winning again.

YardRat
01-11-2010, 07:10 PM
I don't see Cowher failing but if he did I would not blame Ralph.

This horse**** is too deep to ignore :D

As far as I'm concerned, I would expect him to 'succeed' in a manner that the team will return to the playoffs, but in all honesty I see that happening with a handful of guys that may end up here. I expect him to 'fail', because he won't get the team back to the Super Bowl, let alone win one. If he pulls that off and becomes the first HC ever to do so I will stand corrected.

For a couple of your other points, Cowher does have to assemble a staff, it will be interesting to see his coordinator choices, and IMO those positions are even more important than the HC right now. Drafting and FA's? Nix has a decent track record, and Modrak may stay if Cowher comes...no problem.

What will the fans say? Most I'm sure, will blame Ralph Wilson. For not 'ponying up' for flashy FA's, or meddling with the draft, or not spending mega-millions on assistants, or keeping Russ Brandon, or not selling naming rights, or not building a new stadium....yada, yada, yada.

If Cowher does get hired, regardless of the outcome, he's the rubber to Wilson's glue. Any 'fault' will bounce off of the Chin and stick to Ralph.

Book it.

YardRat
01-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Let's not forget the last bright and sparkly, shiny 'proven-name' thing we brought in from Pittsburgh...that didn't turn out too well.

McBFLO
01-11-2010, 07:14 PM

I gotta say too, I like Rex Ryan. He's interesting. He actually speaks when he's at the podium. He's not afraid to talk to trash, make some predictions, be a little ****y.... and it's fun to watch. It'd be fun to have a guy like that as our HC, someone with a little Bravado.

X-Era
01-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Let's not forget the last bright and sparkly, shiny 'proven-name' thing we brought in from Pittsburgh...that didn't turn out too well.

We brought in on of the Steelers HC's who had won a SB and gone to the playoffs multiple times?

EDS
01-11-2010, 07:21 PM

Discuss.

I don't think any reasonable fan expects Bill Cowher or any other coach if similar stature to work a miracle in Buffalo. Obviously other things need to fall into place. The real issue is whether the guy can coach and build a staff. Cowher has proven he can do both and his track record of success is why he is highly sought after. He could fail miserably but unless Ralph Wilson or the front office completely hamstrings him then it would be hard to find fault in the hiring.

Novacane
01-11-2010, 07:23 PM
What will the fans say? Most I'm sure, will blame Ralph Wilson. For not 'ponying up' for flashy FA's, or meddling with the draft, or not spending mega-millions on assistants, or keeping Russ Brandon, or not selling naming rights, or not building a new stadium....yada, yada, yada.

I was speaking for myself not the fan base. If he can pull this off I would not blame him if it "failed". Besides, he'll probably be dead by the time it's determined whether it was a sucess or failure ;)

YardRat
01-11-2010, 07:28 PM
We brought in on of the Steelers HC's who had won a SB and gone to the playoffs multiple times?

We brought in a front office person that was #1 on the 'hot list', if I remember correctly.

Typ0
01-11-2010, 07:29 PM
actually eb the way it turned out Cowher ended up looking like he was being held back by the guy upstairs. We heard about a power struggle over all these things for years between he and Donahoe. What did it take a season after Donahoe left for them to win the big one?

X-Era
01-11-2010, 07:31 PM
We brought in a front office person that was #1 on the 'hot list', if I remember correctly.

Ahh, you meant Donahoe

Run_Two_Three
01-11-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm sure it will be really civil.

Ebenezer
01-11-2010, 09:50 PM
actually eb the way it turned out Cowher ended up looking like he was being held back by the guy upstairs. We heard about a power struggle over all these things for years between he and Donahoe. What did it take a season after Donahoe left for them to win the big one?
Six years...Donahoe signed with the Bills before the 2000 season...Pittsburgh won it all in 2005.

Thief
01-11-2010, 10:00 PM
I would say "Thank you Ralph Wilson. You tried." when Ralph passes, rather than saying the opposite.

WagonCircler
01-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Ahh, you meant Donahoe

Yes, the refuse that we garbage-picked from Pittsburgh like a thrown-away console tube TV.

Jan Reimers
01-12-2010, 08:09 AM
"I told you so."

jamze132
01-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Cowher is the anti-Jauron. Failure is not an option.

As reported last week Cowher "reportedly" said that he was interested in the job and that he wanted assurance from Ralphie and Brandon that he would have the funds to buy and develop talent. I think Cowher know's what is at stake with his reputation and wants guarantees from OBD that they will be 100% commited.

Bosco
01-12-2010, 10:39 AM
'It is better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all'

Ed
01-12-2010, 10:48 AM

Revis
D'Brick
Mangold
Now Sanchez

Wheres the busts?
That DT from Kentucky that they took #4 overall. I can't remember his name. Robertson?

DraftBoy
01-12-2010, 10:53 AM

Revis
D'Brick
Mangold
Now Sanchez

Wheres the busts?

D'Brick has failed to live up to expactations.

Revis and Mangold were great picks the rest are kind of ugly.

Night Train
01-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Let's put it this way.

I'm more than willing to take that chance.

Michael82
01-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Let's put it this way.

I'm more than willing to take that chance.
Exactly! :hi5:

ByrdsTheWord
01-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Cowher will fail based on what he has to work with at the QB position.

Yea and he had GREAT QBs in Pittsburgh. Neil O Donnell, Brister, Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart. Top notch.

Mr. Pink
01-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Yea and he had GREAT QBs in Pittsburgh. Neil O Donnell, Brister, Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart. Top notch.

Brister played 4 games under Cowher and then was out the door.