PDA

View Full Version : Tony Dungy.......to the college game?

Coach Sal
01-11-2010, 08:51 PM
OK, I know this is not directly related to the Bills. But since some people would like us to at least talk to Dungy, and also because it's NOT a Cowher thread, I thought I'd share this here.....

Sources say former Colts/Bucs coach Tony Dungy was on the USF campus today meeting with AD Doug Woolard.

I have no idea if the meeting was anything regarding the head coaching position, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't discussed.

Dungy's son is a USF recruit.

He still lives in Tampa, and he of course is very revered in that city. He's loved.

This would be big news if he went to USF to coach the Bulls and his son.

Think he could do it?

BigZ
01-11-2010, 08:52 PM
In a heartbeat.

DBrown77
01-11-2010, 08:53 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/11/seahawks-wanted-dungy-to-become-team-president/

He says here that he wants to keep doing what he is doing now. I would love Vick/Dungy, but it wont happen.

Coach Sal
01-11-2010, 08:57 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/11/seahawks-wanted-dungy-to-become-team-president/

He says here that he wants to keep doing what he is doing now. I would love Vick/Dungy, but it wont happen.

I know that's what he told the Seattle Seahawks, who are an entire country away from Tampa.

But his son is in Tampa. He'll be playing for USF next year.

His other son committed suicide. He'd probably love to be with this son (Eric) for four years on the football field.

He's loved in that city.

I'm just saying it's an intriguing thought.

McBFLO
01-11-2010, 09:00 PM
It really is an intriguing thought. The guy seems to be really interested in mentoring people, a la Mike Vick. I think his personality would translate well to the college game and recruiting.

Dr. Lecter
01-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Tony Dungy is pure class and if he wants this I hope he does it.

I think he would be a great college coach. But is he too calm for the college game?

ZAZusmc03
01-11-2010, 09:03 PM
I think he would be a great college coach. He would be a great influence on these young guys in school, and who better to learn from as a college athlete than THE Tony Dungy

Jamiezzz
01-11-2010, 09:08 PM
He is really loved in Tampa. I lived in Sarasota for 15 years and saw it everyday he was apart of the Bucs. I could see this happening.

Saratoga Slim
01-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Wow - that could be a fantastic boost for the Big East. Just what the conference needs is a jolt of extra credibility, as every year lately their hottest coach seems to bolt for a higher profile gig (Rodriguez, Kelly). I like it.

USF is on the verge of being a very strong program. This would make them a powerhouse. As a big 'Cuse fan, it's a little scary. But in the long run, I think the 'Cuse would benefit from a stronger overall conference.

better days
01-11-2010, 09:15 PM
OK, I know this is not directly related to the Bills. But since some people would like us to at least talk to Dungy, and also because it's NOT a Cowher thread, I thought I'd share this here.....

Sources say former Colts/Bucs coach Tony Dungy was on the USF campus today meeting with AD Doug Woolard.

I have no idea if the meeting was anything regarding the head coaching position, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't discussed.

Dungy's son is a USF recruit.

He still lives in Tampa, and he of course is very revered in that city. He's loved.

This would be big news if he went to USF to coach the Bulls and his son.

Think he could do it?

Living down in S.W.Fla as I do also Sal, I'm sure you know that Dungy loves Tampa. If he were to get back into Coaching this would be a perfect fit. Nice post.

Demon
01-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Some tv station in Tampa also reported Dungy would be meeting with USF officials today. I read it on another forum.

BILLSROCK1212
01-11-2010, 09:20 PM
i think he would most certainly do it or at least consider it, i think the final decision will fall upon his son

Mudflap1
01-11-2010, 09:55 PM
I think it's an intriguing thought, and maybe one of the only jobs he'd consider. But I don't think he'll do it. I've read both of his books. Tony is pretty clear that once he hangs it up from coaching, he hangs it up. He almost retired from coaching after the Tampa job. He retired from the NFL at a young age without pushing his luck.

I would say a more likely scenario is that since his son goes to the school, the AD probably brought Tony in to consult about how the school can do a good job picking a new coach, since the past one (Leavitt) unfortunately has left in circumstances that were related to being detrimental to the team/players. Kind of an informal consultant about how they can bring in a high moral guy.

cocamide
01-11-2010, 11:02 PM
This would suck. He should come to UCF!

NoVabillsfan89
01-11-2010, 11:19 PM
He said on PTI yesterday that he never considered coaching at the collegiate level. He said he spent almost all of his career in the pros and the thought never crossed his mind.

And he is one guy I take at his word.

DraftBoy
01-12-2010, 07:26 AM
Im thinking and hearing that the University want him as a candidate but more than likely is being brought in to help USF in there search.

Dungy in the college game though is a question mark, not sure his Cover 2 philosophy would play well against spread option offenses, that he would see in College.

DraftBoy
01-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Update: USF officially signed Skip Holtz today to be their new HC.

BlackMetalNinja
01-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Update: USF officially signed Skip Holtz today to be their new HC.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4826420

DraftBoy
01-14-2010, 03:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4826420

:up: