PDA

View Full Version : BillsWin's candidate spotlight: Brian Schottenheimer

BillsWin
01-11-2010, 09:05 PM
http://www.newyorkjets.com/image_assets/4683/053107_brian_schottenheimer_320.jpg

Over the next week or two more candidates for the Buffalo Bills head coaching job will be interviewed. A lot of people recognize the names, but know little about the candidates themselves. So I thought I would go through, one at a time, and highlight their careers, experience, and give my own opinion on whether or not they fit the mold of a potential Buffalo Bills head coach.

First on my list is, newly interview requested, Brian Schottenheimer.

Brian was born in 1973, making him a relatively young candidate. He has NFL coaching in his blood with both his father and uncle recently departing the league.

His father, Marty Schottenheimer, experienced an abundance of success in the National football league. In 2004, Marty won AP Coach of the year award, the Pro Football Weekly coach of the year award and the Maxwell Football Club coach of the year award. Schottenheimer Sr. had a 200-126-1 regular season record, he finished his career 5-13 in the post season. So there is little doubt that Brian's pedigree points towards future success.

Brian played football in college, first for Kansas, then for Florida.

Once into the coaching profession, Brian learned under his father. Following him to three different employment opportunities. In Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Brian studied under Marty as an assistant.

Brian also worked as an assistant at USC, Syracuse, and with the St. Louis Rams throughout the late 90's.

His true, welcome to the nfl, position came with the Redskins in 2001, where he was hired on as the Quarterbacks coach. From 2002-2005, Schottenheimer worked on the Chargers staff as their quarterbacks coach. In 2006 he left the west coast and traveled east to join the NY Jets where he has been ever since.

Schottenheimer's first gig as an offensive coordinator did not start well. The Jets finished 25th in the league in total offense, however that was 6 spots better than the Jets did the year before. In 2007, the Jets defense dropped to 26th in the league.

It wasn't until 2008 when Brian began to come around as an offensive mind in this league. The Jets sky rocketed to 16th in the league in total offense. A whopping 10 spots better than the year before. 2009 was a disappointing season for the young coordinator, however, with a green rookie in tow, Schottenheimer coached the Jets to 20th in the league in total offense. Just a four place drop moving from Brett Favre to Mark Sanchez.

Brian Schottenheimer has been considered a head coach candidate for now three AFC East teams, in 2007 it was the Dolphins, in 2009 it was the Jets and in 2010 it will be the Buffalo Bills.

Schottenheimer removed his name from consideration for the Miami job, and was passed over in NY for ex-Baltimore defensive coordinator, Rex Ryan who currently has the Jets in the playoffs.

THE BOTTOM LINE:

Brian Schottenheimer comes from a good football family. He learned from one of the better football coaches to ever coach the game and not win a championship. He has experience with five professional teams and two division one college programs.

He is young, and growing pains are to be expected with a coach like this. Schottenheimer has enough experience in the league to be considered a serious candidate, but his results are mixed. One could argue lack of talent, or solid surrounding staff may have contributed to his bipolar track record in NY.

He does not have the amount of time as a coordinator to necessary to call him a dud or an offensive genius, but he may have talent. He has shown glimpses of potential as a coordinator and leader, but they have been just that, glimpses. He has not really had the consistency and patience it takes in bringing up a rookie quarterback until towards the end of the season when he really slowed the game down for Mark Sanchez, relying on the run game even more, and creating gameplans that have worked well for the rookie.

THE BREAKDOWN/ OPINION:

Scottenheimer won't be a flashy name or big time prospect unless the Jets go deep in the playoffs. He also doesn't have any head coach experience. He will most likely want to implement the 3-4 after witnessing the success it has had in NY. He won't be a year one wonder like Harbaugh or Mike Smith. He will need 2-3 years to build his team the way he wants it and get a solid staff built around him. The one thing he may have that Buffalo could use is a good sense of confidence and guts. Something the Bills lacked under Jauron, and something that could make football in Buffalo bearable to watch.

Best case scenario, the Bills sign Marty Schottenheimer to 3 year contract and have Brian come on as an offensive coordinator with an agreement that Brian will become head coach after the contract is up. That way Brian can have his father bring in a good staff and begin the rebuilding process through the draft and free agency. Then, when Brian is a little more mature and accustomed to the Buffalo area, staff, front office and players, he takes over. The franchise could be very successful with this scenario. Another way, is for Brian to get hired as a head coach and for him to hire Marty as an adviser.

Does this mean Brian can't come in and be good without help from his father? No. But it would help to have a proven person helping him out.

What would I think of Schottenheimer to Buffalo? I would like it better than some other signings, but he will most likely need an experienced staff underneath him to make him successful in the league early in his career.

Commissioner
01-11-2010, 09:08 PM
We will be looking for another head coach in 3 years.....

BillsWin
01-11-2010, 09:14 PM
We will be looking for another head coach in 3 years.....

That's possible.

Commissioner
01-11-2010, 09:17 PM
That's possible.

The odds are good with this front office.... it's what we do in Buffalo... hire good coordinators who can't head coach...

Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron....

the last head coach to take us to the playoffs... Wade Philips... Ralph stuck his nose in the way...

BillsWin
01-11-2010, 09:22 PM
The odds are good with this front office.... it's what we do in Buffalo... hire good coordinators who can't head coach...

Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron....

the last head coach to take us to the playoffs... Wade Philips... Ralph stuck his nose in the way...

I won't argue with you on that. The Bills have shot themselves in the foot over and over again. I thought this time it would be different, but with the whole Cowher thing and the hiring from within, its not looking good. Lets hope Nix can handle the responsibility.

BillsWin
01-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Is it too long?

Thief
01-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Thank you for the insight. I still consider him much too inexperienced for this gig.

TigerJ
01-11-2010, 10:01 PM
I agree on the experience issue. Brian really needs to spend more time in the coordinator's position before he makes theleap to head coach. Heck, I think Alex Van Pelt could be head coach material in 7 or 8 years. Brian Schottenheimer has a little more experience than Doughboy, but not that much.

justasportsfan
01-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Josh McDaniels had way better credentials than that and he has experience defensively and was great at it. Comparing McDaniels vs. Brian I don't think Brian can do better job than what Denver did this year which isn't much.

shelby
01-12-2010, 04:13 AM
Good read, thanks.

BillsWin
01-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks Shelby.

Beebe's Kid
01-12-2010, 10:11 AM
BillsWin,

Thanks!! That is interesting, and very well written. Too long depends on your attention span, I have actually read one or two, whole books before, so I can stay with an informative piece, such as this, for a couple minutes.

Great job! I am looking forward to the next installment.

BillsWin
01-12-2010, 08:00 PM
BillsWin,

Thanks!! That is interesting, and very well written. Too long depends on your attention span, I have actually read one or two, whole books before, so I can stay with an informative piece, such as this, for a couple minutes.

Great job! I am looking forward to the next installment.

Why thank you. I was just about to start it. :up:

Mad Bomber
01-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Is it too long?
No.

It was a great read, and gave enough information to let me know that I don't want him as head coach. I'd love to have him as offensive coordinator with his dad as HC, though.

BillsWin
01-13-2010, 09:14 AM
No.

It was a great read, and gave enough information to let me know that I don't want him as head coach. I'd love to have him as offensive coordinator with his dad as HC, though.

Yeah, I doubt he is ready yet.

ddaryl
01-13-2010, 09:29 AM
no it's was not too long... for those of us who want as much detailed info as possible

Sounds ot me Brian is too raw on his own to take the chance at making him a HC

Marty/Brian combo, yes

Brian by himself, no

at least that is how I feel right now. Marty would have to take the HC gig for 2-3 years and get Brian ready and to establish the organization of the HC position, and the shape the direction of the team before Brian takes over in 2012/2013

Mad Bomber
01-13-2010, 05:31 PM
He doesn't want the job. He won't even talk to the Bills.

Ebenezer
01-13-2010, 05:42 PM
good...I didn't want a coach who couldn't put together a game plan against our defense...twice.

Prov401
01-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Shotty Jr. is a bum, fool ass, ***** made punk.

Nighthawk
01-13-2010, 05:48 PM

You need to change your avatar and have a picture of Ralphy sticking it in the Buffalo Bills fan's ass. This guy has singlehandedly ruined this franchise!