PDA

View Full Version : Six young Buffalo Bills with significant upside

shelby
01-12-2010, 05:10 AM
As we continue to wait for news to break regarding the Buffalo Bills (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/BUF)' search for a new head coach (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/tag/buffalo%20bills%20coaching%20search), we thought it'd be prudent to break away from the repetitive coverage and start talking about the shell of a football team that's on the verge of getting re-molded.
One of the key sticking points that's often bandied about when talking about top coaching candidates' unwillingness to come to Buffalo is their overall lack of talent. This is a valid concern, even if it's hyperbolized in Buffalo to an extent. Let's face it - Seattle isn't exactly brimming with untapped potential, either. While it's true that Buffalo does lack young, potentially elite talent in key positions, namely quarterback, there are young players on this team with the ability to turn into star players at their respective positions.
On the day he was introduced as Buffalo's new General Manager, Buddy Nix spoke briefly about his belief that the Bills' 2009 draft class has the potential to be a great one. He's right; there is a ton of talent to work with, and some of those players will be key in the re-building effort that Nix and his choice for head coach are about to spearhead. There aren't many names on this list, and I'm guessing that there are other players that you'll try to convince me belong on this list. As I see it, there are six players currently on Buffalo's roster that should be centerpieces of the initial re-building effort, that are locks to be on the 2010 roster regardless of who the coach is, and have the talent to become elite players at their positions.
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5547.jpg
Shawn Nelson (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71166/Shawn_Nelson) (24). Whenever you're talking about a skill position player, offensive line play and quarterback play are necessary ingredients to good seasons. Buffalo didn't have good, consistent play in either area this season, which is why Bills receivers, from the big names straight on down to Nelson, had poor seasons statistically. Nelson has some hurdles to overcome from a durability standpoint; he struggled with head, shoulder and ankle issues this season, and missed three games in total. But the 6'5", 240-pound tight end also proved this year that he's an excellent athlete capable of making difficult receptions in the middle of the field; that's something Buffalo hasn't had in quite some time. When you look at the success of a player like Jermichael Finley (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34559/Jermichael_Finley) (55 catches, 676 yards, 5 TD in his second season), you see the type of potential that Nelson has. They're very similar player types. It will take better quarterback and line play, along with full health from Nelson and sensible offensive play-calling, but Nelson has the type of talent to play a heavy role in an offense, very similar to the one Finley plays in Green Bay already.
Andy Levitre (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71164/Andy_Levitre) (23). Say what you want about Buffalo's offensive line play this past season - believe me, it's warranted - but one wonders how different that unit might have looked had the original starting five been able to play together even the majority of the season, let alone all of it. Levitre did play the whole season, the vast majority of the time at left guard, and the fact that he made any strides at all playing next to a revolving door at left tackle speaks volumes to his intelligence and mental fortitude. Levitre isn't the type to overwhelm anyone physically, but he's nimble, plays with power and grit, and is technically sound to the point where he can surprise people. He looks like a perfectly natural fit at left guard, and he should probably be the only player considered to be a lock as a starter on the 2010 offensive line. He could develop into one of the more underrated interior linemen in the league in short order.
Eric Wood (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71167/Eric_Wood) (23). Obviously, Wood's case is somewhat unique, given that he's currently beginning to work back from a devastating and gruesome leg injury suffered in mid-November. No one is even sure yet that he'll be ready for training camp or the regular season next year, though I believe that concerns over whether or not he'll play again are a bit over the top. That said, he was making strides at right guard - a position he probably shouldn't keep playing - and has the type of on-field demeanor that turns young linemen into unit leaders. Wood has a Nick Mangold (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1249/Nick_Mangold) quality about him in that he's a tough SOB that plays hard, smart, and with a "follow me" gravitational pull. He should be the anchor of the unit, as his mentality is the type that teams strive to replicate up front. Linemen will follow his lead. If he's ready to go next season - and again, that's a big 'if' - I suggest putting Wood at center and letting him grow alongside Levitre and whoever else ends up on the unit next year.

read more.... (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/1/11/1245467/six-young-buffalo-bills-with)

Cntrygal
01-12-2010, 05:29 AM
A positive article!!!! :10:

YardRat
01-12-2010, 05:38 AM
I'm more excited right now about our young guys than I have been in a few years.

Night Train
01-12-2010, 06:22 AM
You could declare prematurely that Maybin is a bust... and we still got 4 starters out of last years draft. If Maybin switches to OLB and contributes next year...5.

That's how the winners keep winning..through the draft. FA is primarily for role players and depth.

Now hire the right coach.

jamze132
01-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Yeah, outside of the Maybin pick, this draft will probably go down as the best of the decade. Hopefully the next few are similar so we can get to .500!

DraftBoy
01-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Good article!

I would of added guys like Jarmon Meredith, and Ashlee Palmer to the list, but that's more nit picking than anything else.

patmoran2006
01-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Forbidden non-coaching Bills talk by Brian Galliford

As we continue to wait for news to break regarding the Buffalo Bills’ search for a new head coach, we thought it’d be prudent to break away from the repetitive coverage and start talking about the shell of a football team that’s on the verge of getting re-molded.

One of the key sticking points that’s often bandied about when talking about top coaching candidates’ unwillingness to come to Buffalo is their overall lack of talent. This is a valid concern, even if it’s hyperbolized in Buffalo to an extent. Let’s face it – Seattle isn’t exactly brimming with untapped potential, either. While it’s true that Buffalo does lack young, potentially elite talent in key positions, namely quarterback, there are young players on this team with the ability to turn into star players at their respective positions.

FULL STORY (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2010/01/six-young-buffalo-bills-with-significant-upside/)

Run_Two_Three
01-12-2010, 08:30 AM
already posted.

shelby
01-12-2010, 08:32 AM
merged

patmoran2006
01-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Oh, ok cool.

I didnt know BZ posted no coaching articles this week!

LOL. Just joking.

Brian is a great writer, I love having him work with me. Im the "jump to conclusions" guy while he's always "even keel"

Jan Reimers
01-12-2010, 08:39 AM
You can see the fine hand of Buddy Nix at work already.

Cleve
01-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Leodis McKelvin? I thought he was a Patriots MVP?

ddaryl
01-12-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm more excited right now about our young guys than I have been in a few years.

Last years draft was solid... but think how insane our 2009 draft owuld have been if we took Oher, Orakpo or Cushing

we would have had the best draft ever possibly

so at least in the face of all the BS we endure, last years draft was a postive for the most part :10:

Alos rock solid article Brian

ddaryl
01-12-2010, 09:45 AM
You can see the fine hand of Buddy Nix at work already.

Great point Jan

Nix was hired in January 2009, and in a few short months was able to help this team draft considerably better then they have in more then a decade (judegmetn is still out there for this draft though, but its looking real good)

So now he is been there for a year, and has the GM position, hopefully 2009 was just a tatse of things to come from Nix..... :dancers:

jamze132
01-12-2010, 10:23 AM
We did have a great draft but how many of our picks would be starters on a contending team? 2? Probably. But **** it, they are playing like they deserve to start anyways...

Nice job rookies!

Buddo
01-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Potentially an excellent draft, with a pretty solid 'core' of guys who can develop together. The possible exception being Maybin, who needs to step up in some serious manner. While you got a favourable initial impression of him, saying most of the right things, he now seems more in tune with the latest fashions in tweeting and hairstyles, than with the latest additions to a playbook.
Byrd was definitely a surprise, probably from the moment he was drafted, when you could hear the collective 'not another CB!' from Bills fans worldwide. Then we were told he was a ball hawk who was converting to safety, and he promptly became better than advertised, which in itself is a rarity, in respect of Bills players.
I like Nelson. He is already the best pass catching TE we have on the roster. He has, to me, the most natural 'hands' of any receiver on the team. He's already made some great grabs, and one awesome tip away, of a probable interception, when Fitz's radar wasn't operating quite right (as usual - it's an inaccuracy thing).
I don't think you can fault the attitude of Wood and Levitre. both showed enough to say they do have a decent future ahead of them, providing they stay healthy. Wood does seem as though he should be center tbh. I think that's a move that may well happen,especially with Wood having got his rookie season over with. The Hangman would be a genuine contender for a guard spot anyway. Also, the Brohm connection shouldn't be underestimated, and if he comes on, having Wood as center, is a handy sort of 'comfort blanket' for him.
McKelvin still has some learning to do, but he definitely has the ability to do well, and it will be good to have him back.

PECKERWOOD
01-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Levitre outplayed Wood and Nelson is getting better.

bigbub2352
01-12-2010, 02:23 PM
i still believe we have to add hardy and johnson consdiering that this coaching staff had to play the guys getting paid more instead of developing talent for next yr
and i agree with Draft Boy with Meredith, and Palmer, and would like to add Ellis Lankster, Demetrius Bell, and Nic Harris as well

Dr. Lecter
01-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Levitre outplayed Wood and Nelson is getting better.

Levitre did not outplay Wood.

Ron Burgundy
01-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Shawn Nelson has a future. And we've needed a guy like that on the roster forever.

ddaryl
01-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Levitre did not outplay Wood.

Yeah I agree with that... Wood and Levitre both had up and downs and to be honest in the end I thought it was damn close to a tie.

and that tie says they are both going to be pretty damn good IMO :drool2: