PDA

View Full Version : My take on the coaching search and how it's played out

BlackMetalNinja
01-12-2010, 10:53 AM
I just published an article on the mess known as a coaching search we've all been following avidly. Read if you so desire and I'd appreciate all feedback about both the article and the new look for the site. We're moving towards a focus more on the Bills and Sabres since it's what we know best, and two of us trying to write about everything under the sun in the sports world wasn't exactly ideal.

Again, all feedback is appreciated and welcomed, so I thank you in advance!

http://www.dandssports.com/2010/01/never-ending-buffalo-bills-coaching.html

Chances are that if you're a Buffalo Bills fan, you've been intently scouring all forms of media for any bit of news you can find as it relates to their coaching search. Many names have been tossed about as of late, but with very little word actually coming out of Orchard Park itself, it's anybody's guess as to what the Bills are actually doing. There is a list of former head coaches that may be looking to get back in the game and of course there is an ever growing list of assistants out there looking for their chance to finally become the main man. The question, besides the obvious "who is it going to be?", on everybody's minds is "what's taking so long?"

DraftBoy
01-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Good article, sums up what's happen simly and purely without getting too much into the nitty gritty.

Well done! :bf1:

HAMMER
01-12-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't get where the anxiety comes from in this search for a coach. The big fish don't want to come to the small pond and be suffocated by Ralph Wilson, deal with it Bills fans. Two or three of the top coordinator candidates are embroiled in a chase for the Super Bowl and shouldn't even be discussing another job, it is unprofessional IMO. I would rather the Bills FO interview more candidates and then make an informed decision which is what it appears they are doing.

BlackMetalNinja
01-12-2010, 11:11 AM
I don't get where the anxiety comes from in this search for a coach. The big fish don't want to come to the small pond and be suffocated by Ralph Wilson, deal with it Bills fans. Two or three of the top coordinator candidates are embroiled in a chase for the Super Bowl and shouldn't even be discussing another job, it is unprofessional IMO. I would rather the Bills FO interview more candidates and then make an informed decision which is what it appears they are doing.I think it's partly due to the Bills past failures, and more largely due to the fact that this fan base is getting increasingly rabid in terms of wanting something to look forward to.

Rationality seems to have gone out the window for most already...

ddaryl
01-12-2010, 11:14 AM
I think it's partly due to the Bills past failures, and more largely due to the fact that this fan base is getting increasingly rabid in terms of wanting something to look forward to.

Rationality seems to have gone out the window for most already...

PARTLY DUE ???

It's completely due to the Bills decade of disaster, coupled with the fact that Ralph has made many mistakes the entire time he has owned this franchise

ddaryl
01-12-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't get where the anxiety comes from in this search for a coach. The big fish don't want to come to the small pond and be suffocated by Ralph Wilson, deal with it Bills fans.
It really chaps my ass to hear anyone telling me to deal with it.

Nothing personal Hammer, seriously but EDITED FOR TOS VIOLATION for telling me to deal with it. I am quite capable of protecting my own feelings and I don't beleive fully what you swear ot be fact.

I still billieve Cowher to Buffalo has legs left, and more so then the I have no more hope crowd will let themselves feel.

The only thing the nay sayers are doing is protecting their fragile pyschies, because being turned down is painful, no different then when you want ot ask a girl out but you just couldn't work up the nerve because you fear rejection IMO.

BlackMetalNinja
01-12-2010, 11:18 AM
PARTLY DUE ???

It's completely due to the Bills decade of disaster, coupled with the fact that Ralph has made many mistakes the entire time he has owned this franchiseWell, there are those that just always want instant gratification with this sort of thing, so I said partly... but Yes, it's more or less because the results of the past decade have caused people to lose sight of all the reasons HAMMER mentioned and demand immediate actions.

I certainly understand both points of view...

DraftBoy
01-12-2010, 11:24 AM

Nothing personal Hammer, seriously but EDITED FOR TOS VIOLATION for telling me to deal with it. I am quite capable of protecting my own feelings and I don't beleive fully what you swear ot be fact.

I still billieve Cowher to Buffalo has legs left, and more so then the I have no more hope crowd will let themselves feel.

The only thing the nay sayers are doing is protecting their fragile pyschies, because being turned down is painful, no different then when you want ot ask a girl out but you just couldn't work up the nerve because you fear rejection IMO.

I dont believe he meant deal with it in an antagonizing way but rather, we have to realize as a franchise what we are right now. We are not a contending franchise, or even close. We are a small market team, that has been bad for a long time, with less money, and less appeal than the bigger market teams. That's the facts, do they suck? Yes, do we have more passionate fans? Yes, but is that going to be able to make up the difference to big name coach who wants a ring? Probably not.

ddaryl
01-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I dont believe he meant deal with it in an antagonizing way but rather, we have to realize as a franchise what we are right now. We are not a contending franchise, or even close. We are a small market team, that has been bad for a long time, with less money, and less appeal than the bigger market teams. That's the facts, do they suck? Yes, do we have more passionate fans? Yes, but is that going to be able to make up the difference to big name coach who wants a ring? Probably not.

probably not, but so many have been tossing it out there in a very antagonizing way

my reply was actually more of a playful attempt at saying you can't sway my felings

and the mods have wagged their finger at me for it. Gotta live on the edge some though, and push those boundaries :canada:

HAMMER
01-12-2010, 12:58 PM

OK, keep on believing, we all need dreams.

shelby
01-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Good read Scott, thanks!

ddaryl
01-12-2010, 01:11 PM
OK, keep on believing, we all need dreams.

and I will...

If I was to give up on this I might as well just stop watching the Bills all together, because if I didn't believe then being a fan is completly uselss, and worthless and a waste of time.

I think its sad that so many can give up so quickly.. is that what Bills fans are reduced to completely faithless :loser: . Now if the Bills didn't do the impossible in the past like trade for Bledsoe and Spikes and sign TO when so many said it wouldn't happen then I could give up, but there is a track record of being pleasantly surprised with this organization, and why couldn't it happen one more time

Not believing is significantly harder then giving up hope IMO....

and if Cowher does coach the Bills I get to rub it into so many peoples faces, and if he doesn't coach the Bills then I get to be wrong with no consequences because it wasn't supposed to happen anyway.. :coffee:

BlackMetalNinja
01-12-2010, 01:16 PM
and I will...

If I was to give up on this I might as well just stop watching the Bills all together, because if I didn't believe then being a fan is completly uselss, and worthless and a waste of time.

I think its sad that so many can give up so quickly.. is that what Bills fans are reduced to completely faithless :loser: . Now if the Bills didn't do the impossible in the past like trade for Bledsoe and Spikes and sign TO when so many said it wouldn't happen then I could give up, but there is a track record of being pleasantly surprised with this organization, and why couldn't it happen one more time

and if Cowher does coach the Bills I get to rub it into so many peoples faces, and if he doesn't coach the Bills then I get to be wrong with no consequences because it wasn't supposed to happen anyway.. :coffee:But what is quick about it??? I'm 27 years old, and the Bills haven't been contenders since I was 13... That's more than half my life already. Now, I clearly haven't given up completely, or I wouldn't even be here typing this, but I sure as hell am highly discouraged.

For me, I'm at the point where I can no longer justify spending $400/season to get Sunday Ticket just to watch this team disappoint me over and over. I'm not going to buy myself another new jersey each year... Etc. etc. etc.

At some point it stops being fun for everybody. Obviously different people have different tolerance levels, but I think a lot of people have reached there point in the past few months.

elltrain22
01-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Great article!! Cousin Mose would be very proud!!

ddaryl
01-12-2010, 01:22 PM
But what is quick about it??? I'm 27 years old, and the Bills haven't been contenders since I was 13... That's more than half my life already. Now, I clearly haven't given up completely, or I wouldn't even be here typing this, but I sure as hell am highly discouraged.

For me, I'm at the point where I can no longer justify spending $400/season to get Sunday Ticket just to watch this team disappoint me over and over. I'm not going to buy myself another new jersey each year... Etc. etc. etc.

At some point it stops being fun for everybody. Obviously different people have different tolerance levels, but I think a lot of people have reached there point in the past few months.

I'm 41 and been going to Bills games since I was 5. Even saw OJ run the rock, and was there when he crossed 2000 yards in a season

I hear you loud and clear on the your fandom, and being discouraged Believe me I am too.

I have proclaimed here that if the Bills do not try and land a proven HC I will probably be reduced to a fair weather fan and just keep an eye on the team and wait until they become contenders again before jumping back in. I haven't bought any Bills paraphernalia in 3 or so years because there has been little for me to want to support.

So as I stay hopeful it is my only saving grace. I find it harder to give up then to stay hopeful... and that's how I decided I was going to play it. Sure I could jump on the Cowher ain't coming bandwagon and then go home and kick my dogs... but why should I reduce myself to that misery... I like that feeling go hope, and their is more then enough time to embrace despair in the future

and to be honest I'm willing to give a coordinator a shot here again, but only after the most exhaustive HC search in the history of the NFL. AND only after we receive a firm no from Bill Cowher

(somebody buy me a pizza)

HAMMER
01-12-2010, 01:30 PM
and I will...

and if Cowher does coach the Bills I get to rub it into so many peoples faces, and if he doesn't coach the Bills then I get to be wrong with no consequences because it wasn't supposed to happen anyway.. :coffee:

I would hardly qualify as a faithless loser. I have followed and stood by this team since OJ was cutting and slashing through defenses....and an estranged wife (allegedly). Anything is possible, but common sense, and many other sources, say Cowher is not coming to Buffalo. It is all about the man at the top, no one with an established legacy wants to come to Buffalo and be under Ralph's oversized thumb. You are going to be a very disappointed young man in a few weeks when the Bills hire a coordinator. I am forgiving, I will look past your insults and be here as a shoulder for you to cry on when the dust settles.

Buddo
01-12-2010, 01:55 PM
In certain respects, one of the particularly poor ways that the Bills go about their business, is in respect of communicating what they can, when they can, to the fans. So much of what is actually known, is from third hand sources.
Now, that's not to say that we should expect hourly bulletins, but there are things that have happened, and are happening, that they should be very comfortable about reporting.
Examples include actually saying that Frazier has interviewed. Telling us that we have applied for permission to speak to x,y or z coordinator - and that it has been granted. Then telling us that an interview has taken place - officially.
The Cowher situation is somewhat different, in that it's quite possible that he rquested media silence, and that has to be respected. Similar wishes of any other candidates, would also be respected, but simple statements that interviews have taken place, have been set up etc. aren't out of order at all imho.