PDA

View Full Version : If I'm Buddy Nix and somebody offers me a 4th Round Pick...

DraftBoy
01-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Im going to trade Marshawn Lynch for it.

Here are my reasons;
1. We need all the picks we can aquire, especially if we are switching over to a 3-4 D

2. Lynch is now our #2 back and is on his last strike, his value is way down.

3. Guys like Mike Bell (NO), Jerious Norwood (ATL), LenDale White (TEN), and Chester Taylor (MIN) are all Free Agents and could be had for probably less than what Lynch makes now and could produce more.

Just my opinion, what are your thoughts?

Would you trade Marshawn Lynch for a 4th Round pick?

justasportsfan
01-12-2010, 11:55 AM
I would wait and see what the new HC says. He may have a running game that suits Lynch better than Jackson.

DraftBoy
01-12-2010, 11:56 AM
I would wait and see what the new HC says. He may have a running game that suits Lynch better than Jackson.

Offer doesn't last that long, it expires today. What do you do?

My scenario, my rules. :respect:

Good point though.

Bone
01-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Eh I wouldn't agree with it because he would get traded and then just tear **** up for whatever team he would play for. Marshawn is a legit running back. I feel like he was unable to get into the swing of things with the 4 game suspension and all.

justasportsfan
01-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Offer doesn't last that long, it expires today. What do you do?

My scenario, my rules. :respect:

Good point though.

NO less than a 3rd. :D

There may be vet defensive players that will be released in the offsseason

robgon
01-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Trade him , he maybe get himself suspended for a few games anyway....

Beebe's Kid
01-12-2010, 12:05 PM
No. I am a Lynch fan, and I hope a real coach gets his hands on this KID, and shows him how to be a professional. Dick wouldn't have said s@#t if he had a mouthful, and Perry wasn't going to rock the boat, he wanted to be a "buddy."

Would it be best for the team...only time would tell, but I hope that Lynch the person and the player can turn it around.

elltrain22
01-12-2010, 12:06 PM

Here are my reasons;
1. We need all the picks we can aquire, especially if we are switching over to a 3-4 D

3. Guys like Mike Bell (NO), Jerious Norwood (ATL), LenDale White (TEN), and Chester Taylor (MIN) are all Free Agents and could be had for probably less than what Lynch makes now and could produce more.

I would do to, but the question is, would another NFL team do that??

Demon
01-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Reject the trade. Jackson is turning 30 and who knows how many miles he has left. I wouldn't be opposed to trading Marshawn, but Nix and the new coaching staff need to make that decision, not Nix on his own.

trapezeus
01-12-2010, 12:19 PM
This is tough because

1. i don't see anyone offering a fourth or anything for lynch. they can draft a back with more upside with less miles.
2. the bills trade lynch and then they have 1 running back and couple practice squaders. so we'll have to waste a pick on RB when we have a ton of more pressing holes.
3. lynch can be a really good back if his head is in the game. i worry that if you let him go to free agency that sparano or belichick gets him going. So trading isn't that bad of an option.

In the end i ride marshawn one more year. he's getting to the cheaper part of his contract, he knows he's fallen greatly. i'd rather let him play and sign elsewhere in a year or two.

alohabillsfan
01-12-2010, 12:20 PM
No, but I would trade him to Wash (Portis out with Shanny their coach and Shanny takes everyones rejects), and swap first and second round picks! Buff gets pick 4 and 37, Wash gets picks 9 and 41 and Lynch...

Jaybird
01-12-2010, 12:20 PM
His value is not very high right now. His potential however still is. I would not move lynch for a 4th round pick. He will need to be replaced anyways with a draft pick or free agency. Why let go of something to create another hole that must be filled

Night Train
01-12-2010, 12:21 PM
I agree completely, DB. A 4th is worth ridding ourselves of a major distratction.

Backup RB's & WR's are so easy to find every year. We got TE Nelson in Round 4 this year.

Mr. Pink
01-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Bye Stonehands Inch!

Dr. Lecter
01-12-2010, 12:29 PM

I will disagree with this part. Lynch in still in his rookie deal and his salary this year is probably fairly low.

EDS
01-12-2010, 12:32 PM
I like the idea of having two capable running backs (even if Lynch is a total idiot and thug) more than I like having an extra 4th rounder that may amount to nothing.

I am pretty sure there were people on this board only a year ago who believed Lynch was a better running back than Chris Johnson and almost on par with Adrian Peterson. Seems funny now.

Buddo
01-12-2010, 01:06 PM
I'd be taking their arm off for that deal atm.
Apart from anything else, if he manages to get himself in more trouble this off-season, he will get a further suspension, maybe as much as half a season.
He's not worth the trouble tbh, and he's now had two chances to set himself straight already, and it doesn't appear to have made an iota of difference.
There are far too many 'snippets,' relating to boorish behaviour, coming out about Lynch. The guy needs to grow up, but I honestly doubt that he will do that in Buffalo now.

DesertFox24
01-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Lynch is a lot younger than Fred and still have 2 year left on his contract and depending on the labor deal will be restricted after his 5th year.

His value is at an all time low and to be honest I think he is the better back talent wise. I would keep him on the roster and let Brian Schotty decide what to do with him.

PECKERWOOD
01-12-2010, 01:31 PM
4th would make sense, more ammunition to trade up back into the 2nd.

DraftBoy
01-12-2010, 02:22 PM
I will disagree with this part. Lynch in still in his rookie deal and his salary this year is probably fairly low.

Rookie deal of being picked 12th overall

5 yrs for 19 million. I dont know the specifics but you think Mike Bell (who I think is the best FA of all) is going to cost more than 2 million per year? Bell is making 535K in 2009 for the Saints by the way.

Ed
01-12-2010, 02:24 PM
I would probably take the 4th. I had high hopes for Marshawn, but they've dissapeared. RB's are a dime a dozen and it would be one of the easiest positions to fill through free agency. I'm assuming we'd be using the money that Marshawn would make too, so it's not like it costs us anything either. If we can get more production with less headaches from a free agent, then we're basically gaining an extra 4th for nothing.

I heard on the radio that Bill Walsh used to say that when it comes to RB's, you're either special or interchangable. There's really nothing in between. And Marshawn has not been special.

With that being said, I could also be convinced by a new coach to keep him. So really I don't care what happens with Marshawn this off-season. He's a non-factor to me.

Mahdi
01-12-2010, 02:36 PM

Here are my reasons;

No. I would not trade Lynch for a 4th round pick. We got him with a first rounder and selling low is never a good idea. How do you think the Jags, Panthers, Lions and Raiders feel about trading players the invested a lot in for 3rd round picks (Stroud, Jenkins, Rogers and Moss) compared to how much value those players currently have for their respective teams.

If we do ever trade Lynch let's do it when we get a good OL in here that can open holes up for him and raise his value.

Lynch is a beast but our OL sucks. Give him a chance. Also, this latest incident seems bogus. Even the Police are denying it.

Bulldog
01-12-2010, 03:12 PM
I never really thought that Lynch was that good anyway. I think he's a dime a dozen in the NFL. The only thing that would prevent me from moving Lynch would be Jackson's age. If Freddy were a few years younger, I trade Lynch in a heartbeat. I honestly don't understand how people can still think Lynch is the more talented back. I would have loved to see what kind of numbers Jackson would have put up if Lynch wasn't around.

ddaryl
01-12-2010, 03:18 PM
keep him...

T-Long
01-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Take it and never look back.

mikemac2001
01-12-2010, 03:38 PM
who is our backup....

Rather hope he has a solid year and trade him the following or enjoy two starting RB's

kernowboy
01-12-2010, 05:11 PM
I'd be happy to trade Lynch for a 4th and then maybe draft James Starks in the 5th or 6th to run with Fred-x.

If he'd not missed his senior season he'd have a 3rd round grade and has many have said, RB is one of the easier positions to fill.

baalworship
01-12-2010, 05:16 PM

Here are my reasons;

Terrible idea. 2nd or mid 3rd rounder I would look at. Rather have Marshawn here than a 4th round pick. He had a sub-par year but he is a very good back.

I have never seen so much whining over a player as Marshawn. If this guy was actually running in a gang or stealing from old ladies then ship him out. I think his dreads and his hometown make the average fan blow everything he does out of proportion.

Ed
01-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Terrible idea. 2nd or mid 3rd rounder I would look at. Rather have Marshawn here than a 4th round pick. He had a sub-par year but he is a very good back.

I have never seen so much whining over a player as Marshawn. If this guy was actually running in a gang or stealing from old ladies then ship him out. I think his dreads and his hometown make the average fan blow everything he does out of proportion.
I don't think his dreads have anything to do with it. He was involved in a hit and run, and got caught with a gun and drugs. His actions got him suspended for 3 games. Another stupid off-season incident and he's probably suspended for at least half a season. So now you have an expensive back-up that can't even play and has zero trade value. That hurts the team.

I like Marshawn a lot, but the bottom line is that he hasn't really produced and carries a lot of risk.

A 4th round pick is pretty valuable and I'd be shocked if anyone actually offered that.

baalworship
01-12-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't think his dreads have anything to do with it. He was involved in a hit and run, and got caught with a gun and drugs. His actions got him suspended for 3 games. Another stupid off-season incident and he's probably suspended for at least half a season. So now you have an expensive back-up that can't even play and has zero trade value. That hurts the team.

I like Marshawn a lot, but the bottom line is that he hasn't really produced and carries a lot of risk.

A 4th round pick is pretty valuable and I'd be shocked if anyone actually offered that.

There is a difference between being immature and someone who is a criminal, thief, etc. You say the word drugs. Do you know how many NFL players we could field if we only drafted players that had never smoked pot?! Hell, Lee Evans got caught in a car with pot.

You say oh wow, guns. It's well known that almost every NFL player, especially those from bad neighborhoods, feels pressure to carry a gun. Marcellus Wiley who is not exactly a gangster said he HAD to have a gun when he was in the NFL because he felt like he was a target.

I am not condoning everything that goes on in the NFL. But I am surprised how naive some of you are. Your player expectations would be better reserved for one of Leslie Frazier's "Exemplifying Christ" Bible camps.

Ed
01-12-2010, 07:52 PM
There is a difference between being immature and someone who is a criminal, thief, etc. You say the word drugs. Do you know how many NFL players we could field if we only drafted players that had never smoked pot?! Hell, Lee Evans got caught in a car with pot.

You say oh wow, guns. It's well known that almost every NFL player, especially those from bad neighborhoods, feels pressure to carry a gun. Marcellus Wiley who is not exactly a gangster said he HAD to have a gun when he was in the NFL because he felt like he was a target.

I am not condoning everything that goes on in the NFL. But I am surprised how naive some of you are. Your player expectations would be better reserved for one of Leslie Frazier's "Exemplifying Christ" Bible camps.
I personally couldn't care less if Marshawn wants to carry firearms or smoke pot. I smoke pot sometimes too, so it's no big deal to me. My point is that the league does care. Goodell clearly cares a lot about player conduct off the field as he showed when he handed out his 3 game suspension last year and rejected Marshawn's appeal. If Marshawn's immaturity gets him in trouble again, he's useless to us because he won't be able to play. So to me it's not about judging his character or only wanting bible thumpers, I'm simply weighing the pro's and the con's. Right now a 4th round pick has more value to me then an unproductive Marshawn Lynch who's walking a very thin line. Does that make sense?

djjimkelly
01-12-2010, 07:59 PM
lynch is the best running back on this team.

however if he doesnt fit into the plans of buddy nix or the new head coach.

then a trade is a must however i think he would be worth more then a 4th rounder.

minimum a 3rd

DraftBoy
01-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Interesting results, I expected it to be very split on this idea.

Dr. Lecter
01-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Rookie deal of being picked 12th overall

5 yrs for 19 million. I dont know the specifics but you think Mike Bell (who I think is the best FA of all) is going to cost more than 2 million per year? Bell is making 535K in 2009 for the Saints by the way.

A good hunk of that deal is in bonus money and has already been paid out.

Base salary for rookie deals is usually relatively low. That was my point.

DraftBoy
01-13-2010, 07:48 AM
A good hunk of that deal is in bonus money and has already been paid out.

Base salary for rookie deals is usually relatively low. That was my point.

And my point was that the FA backs I specifically mention also have low base salaries. Mike Bell base salary is a little over 500K a year, so I dont see the contractual issue as an issue at all.