PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the backup QB spots

LABillsFan
06-04-2003, 02:56 PM
If AVP and Brown are not performing to the level a backup QB should be at, do we take a look at Griese? Reports are they are far apart. While Griese is willing to be paid back up money, he is looking for starters incentives if he has to go in. Miami doesn't have that much money and at worst, interest by the Bills may force them to spend more than they want to.

venis2k1
06-04-2003, 03:05 PM
I got faith in AVP, but i would like to bring BG in.

lordofgun
06-04-2003, 03:06 PM
I'd be for it. Griese is underrated.

LABillsFan
06-04-2003, 03:22 PM
I too still have faith in AVP. He can't stretch the field like DB, but when he plays within himself he is a good BU. With the emphisis on running the ball this year, it will only help him out. Anytime you can make life difficult on a division opponent I think you should try and take advantage of it though. There's no friendship on the field, so why should there be off?

Mr. Miyagi
06-04-2003, 03:27 PM
No way we even consider Griese. We have Drew as the undisputed QB and AVP is not threatening to Drew. If we brought in Griese we'd be betraying Drew and putting him back in the position he was in NE when he had to constantly look over his shoulders and ended up losing his job to his backup.

Bad for team chemistry. No no.

Dozerdog
06-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Until Drew breaks an ankle or something. I'd bet you would change your tune

venis2k1
06-04-2003, 03:32 PM
I want to do it just to see all the fin fans say how sucky Griese is.

LABillsFan
06-04-2003, 03:50 PM
I don't put Griese in the Brady catagory at all. Bledsoe is the leader of the team and EVERYONE knows it. Anyone who the Bills interview will KNOW it. But that doesn't mean if DB goes down the Bills should forfeit the rest of the season either. If DB misses a week or two becasue of injury AVP can handle it, if DB goes down for six weeks, the offense will suffer.

My original point was to force Miami's hand and get them to spend money they don't want to. Griese has been avoided by other teams because it was a lock that a deal with the Dolphins was all but signed. It seems while a deal will probably be struck, there is an in for other teams to get into the picture. Buffalo could be one of those teams.

DB has a long career left in Buffalo, but I don't see AVP or Brown being the answer if something happens. Besides last year, when was the last time a Bills starting QB played the entire season? QB's go down, back ups have to step in for a series or multiple games. Look at what happened to Miami last year, look at the steps they are taking to prevent that from happening again this year.

Mr. Miyagi
06-04-2003, 03:53 PM
Griese wouldn't be interested in a Bills job anyway. He thinks he has a shot at beating out Fiedler for the starter spot sometime down the road. And Fiedler gets hurt more often than Drew too. That's why Griese wants to have the starter's incentives because he thinks the possibility is high.

deathadder
06-04-2003, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't want Griese for the fact that he is injury prone. Couple more hits to his shoulder and his career could be done.

I like the guys we have now. We will see how Travis Brown perform in preseason as he will be taking a ton more snaps this preseason. He might move to #2 on the chart if AVP doesn't impress during training camp and preseason .

Jan Reimers
06-04-2003, 04:31 PM
Griese is a kind of "tweener," not a great starter, but probably not content to be a backup, either. Our guys accept their roles, although there will be some competition for the #2 and 3 spots.

I like the lack of a QB controversy. I'd rather spend the $ on other positions. As I said earlier, we should draft a good QB next year or the year after, and bring him along slowly.

The_Philster
06-04-2003, 06:05 PM
It'd be nice to get another starting-caliber player at QB, but I think we'd be better off developing one or going with someone who won't cost as much.

Billsouth
06-04-2003, 07:49 PM
why would griese sign wiht us? he wants to be a strater. he would never be our starter even if Db got hurt. if he doesnt sign in miami he will sign in dallas or maybe even pittsburgh or oakland.

venis2k1
06-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Dallas doesn't want him, they have said this, Oakland cant afford him, and on top of that they have the MVP at QB.

Demon
06-04-2003, 08:18 PM
This is the 3rd thread on the same topic!!!

I am going crazy, i keep losing track of what i say in which "Backup QB thread".

Draft Casey Clausan next year in the 2nd round and keep Van Pelt as backup for this season. Easy as that. Check one of the other 2 threads about this to know why.

LABillsFan
06-04-2003, 09:01 PM
Demon, if it drives you crazy don't reply. I don't look at each and every thread that gets posted so if it's a dead horse, me so sorry. But the news out of Miami's camp is relatively new so I started a thread. Easy as that. Besides, I need more zone bucks.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1563309.html

Demon
06-05-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by LABillsFan
Demon, if it drives you crazy don't reply. I don't look at each and every thread that gets posted so if it's a dead horse, me so sorry. But the news out of Miami's camp is relatively new so I started a thread. Easy as that. Besides, I need more zone bucks.

No worries man.

I was just saying, i love chatting here but last few days i was talking about the QB in 2 different threads and then i come today and see this. Kinda hard to keep up you know.

LABillsFan
06-05-2003, 12:24 PM
You must be completly out of your mind today then with those new Griese threads today. :)