• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

BillsWin's candidate spotlight: Russ Grimm

Over the next week or two more candidates for the Buffalo Bills head coaching job will be interviewed. A lot of people recognize the names, but know little about the candidates themselves. So I thought I would go through, one at a time, and highlight their careers, experience, and give my own opinion on whether or not they fit the mold of a potential Buffalo Bills head coach.

First on my list was Brian Schottenheimer. You may read that thread here: http://billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=186008

Tonight's candidate put under the BillsWin microscope will be Russ Grimm.

Russ Grimm is 50 years of age (Born in 1959). He has professional playing experience, unlike Schottenheimer. Grimm was drafted in the third round of the 1981 draft (69th overall) by the Washington Redskins.

Prior to being drafted, Grimm was an All-American Center at Pittsburgh University. He played guard with the Redskins.

Grimm shows an odd trait not often seen in NFL players now-a-days. He stayed loyal to the team that drafted him. Russ played eleven seasons with Washington, ending his career in 1991. He played in 140 games, starting 114 of them.

Grimm was a four time pro bowler with Washington (1983, 1984, 1985, and 1986). Other awards given to Grimm were three AP First Team All Pro selections, Selection to the 1980's NFL All-Decade team and nominated as one of the 70 greatest Redskins.

Russ was a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2006, and 2008.

Ever loyal, Grimm made his coaching debut with Washington in 1992 and coached there until 2000. Grimm was the tightends coach from 1992-1996 and offensive line coach from 1997-2000.

Grimm then joined the Pittsburgh Steelers staff to coach their offensive line (and promoted to assistant head coach) from 2000-2006. In 2007, Grimm joined the Arizona Cardinals and arguably oversaw a complete change in offensive line play under his tutilage. The Cardinals have now made the playoffs two seasons in a row. Grimm remains the offensive line/ assistant head coach there today.

Grimm was a finalist for the Steelers head coaching job when Bill Cowher retired, however amid conflicting reports, Mike Tomlin was awarded the job. (After it was initially reported by the media that Grimm and the Steelers had reached a deal.) Grimm left that season.

Over his playing and coaching career, Grimm has received FOUR Super Bowl rings.

Grimm is a member of the Western Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame.

THE BOTTOM LINE/ BREAKDOWN AND OPINION:

Grimm is a little older than some of the other candidates on the Bills' list. He has an impressive resume of winning. Wherever Grimm goes, winning follows. It is hard to argue with four Super Bowl rings. Four as a player and one as an assistant head coach. Grimm has learned under Bill Cowher and Joe Gibbs (First Washington go-around). He has been instrumental in reconstructing offensive lines in Washington, Pittsburgh and Arizona. He has also improved the rush offense and pass protection on each team he has coached. His track record is impressive, and he has made enough contacts in the league to most likely build a solid staff.

Grimm has a fire, attitude and drive to win desired in a football coach. He understands the importance of a good offensive line. He has been around offenses that focus around the run, and he has been around offenses that focus on the pass. He has a good football background and nice track record. There is a reason teams like Pittsburgh and Arizona made him their assistant head coach.

The downside to Grimm. Does he really want to coach here? There is a good possibility he is just focused on coaching the Cardinals to a win this weekend. But, there is also a possibility he isn't really interested in coaching the Buffalo Bills.

Lack of experience is also a problem. He has enough COACHING experience to warrant consideration, but has absolutely zero head coaching experience.

However, although the Steelers won a title under Tomlin. There are some Pittsburgh fans that feel he has begun losing that roster, and that Grimm would have done the same, maybe better in Steel-town over the past few seasons (including that Super Bowl run.)

There is support among the coaches in the league for Grimm and he has been a hot candidate for the past few years.

If the Bills were to hire Grimm, it would probably be a good hire. Grimm could bring some intensity and offensive focus to Buffalo. He learned under some of the best, and knows his way around cold weather.

He can command respect from a young roster, as well as some respected assistant coaches that he could bring in.

In my opinion, Grimm could bring better assistants than a Brian Schottenheimer (without Marty). He could possibly do better on the free agent front too, as he has been in the league longer and has more respect from fellow coaches, former players, recruiters and agents.

What would I think of Grimm to Buffalo? A start in the right direction, low bust factor, low probability of immediate success. Grimm is a guy that will most likely need at least a full season, maybe two to completely change and restock the roster with his type of player. But trust me, that is the type of player you will want on the Bills' roster.

Next time: Leslie Frazier...
    Last edited by BillsWin; 01-12-2010, 11:21 PM.
    I am The Batman.
  • Beebe's Kid
    • Nov 2009

Re: BillsWin's candidate spotlight: Russ Grimm

Excellent job, again. I really enjoy these.

I like the prospect of Grimm. I also like the Shottenheimer connection...I wonder if I will like Frazier after your expose on him?

I don't like Tampa-2, and I do not really go for mild-mannered, so I doubt it.

I am starting to get a little resentful towards Cowher, and if it doesn't happen, I won't be heartbroken. In fact, I am starting to get a little excited about getting a coordinator...and I'm not even drinking.

Thanks again!!

Comment

• TerrellOwensSharpie8
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
      Excellent job, again. I really enjoy these.

I like the prospect of Grimm. I also like the Shottenheimer connection...I wonder if I will like Frazier after your expose on him?

I don't like Tampa-2, and I do not really go for mild-mannered, so I doubt it.

I am starting to get a little resentful towards Cowher, and if it doesn't happen, I won't be heartbroken. In fact, I am starting to get a little excited about getting a coordinator...and I'm not even drinking.

Thanks again!!

some patience might help make you feel better.....

Comment

• shelby
        The Vanilla *****
        • Jul 2002

Good read, thanks!

Comment

• BillsWin
          man amongst boys
          • Oct 2008

Thank you.
          I am The Batman.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

Thanks for the effort Bills Win...think it was kind of wasted if what we hear is correct in that Grimm has no desire to even interview for the job but thanks nontheless.

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

you're doing a real good job with these write up Billswin...

I personally feel better educated about these coordinators who until these last few weeks didn't know much about them or if they even existed.

I think grimm is turning down interviews for one reason only. he is dedicated to his team and their playoff run...

He doens't want any distrations, because to me it sounds like that is the kind of loyalty you get from a guy like Grimm. Loyalty was even a stong part of this article
              Last edited by ddaryl; 01-13-2010, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
                Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl
                I think grimm is turning down interviews for one reason only. he is dedicated to his team and their playoff run...

He doens't want any distrations, because to me it sounds like that is the kind of loyalty you get from a guy like Grimm. Loyalty was even a stong part of this article
                This is my sentiment as well. He's a super loyal guy, which would bode well for our situation because god knows we don't want someone who might jump ship when faced with adversity.

I like Grimm the most out of all the coordinator options. I feel like he's a blue-collar guy who will rebuild our offensive line and his success will command immediate respect.

The biggest negative regarding Grimm is he's going to have to hire some excellent coordinators/assistants because he's not going to run either the offense or the defense. He's more of a delegation-style coach.

God give me style and give me grace
                God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                  Thanks for the effort Bills Win...think it was kind of wasted if what we hear is correct in that Grimm has no desire to even interview for the job but thanks nontheless.
                  I'm learning to pay less attention to ESPN on a daily basis.

Lesson learned on my end.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• plundar
                    • Mar 2006

Sounds like he would be a great choice. I like the fact that he is a little older. I think we need a guy with that old school mentality. This team has lacked discipline for years.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                      I'm learning to pay less attention to ESPN on a daily basis.

Lesson learned on my end.

Just because ESPN is anti-Buffalo doesn't mean they are wrong.

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                        Just because ESPN is anti-Buffalo doesn't mean they are wrong.
                        Well seeing they said Grimm will NOT interview and he is, seems clear as day to me that there wrong.

Comment

Working...
                        X