PDA

View Full Version : Maybin Playing weight vs Listed Weight

Mahdi
01-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Ok, looking at the picture of him that is up on the Bills Official site front page, the guy looks like a WR. He looks like he can't be one ounce over 230, maybe even 225. Yet, the roster lists him at 250 pounds...? That is 7 pounds heavier than Schobel and that makes no sense.

1. I am curious to know his true weight and

2. How did he lose so much weight between his Pro-Day and the start of the season.

http://blog.pennlive.com/bobflounders/2009/03/medium_maybin_before_after.jpg

The guy on the right is definitely not this guy .....

http://prod.static.bills.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/zip/2009/11-November/Week_11/Week_11-DSC_4599--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG

ddaryl
01-13-2010, 09:08 AM
he never put on muscle weight for the combine, so by the time he was thru with camp he melted all that added weight away

The guy was 240lbs tops this year IMO

Prov401
01-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Muscle weighs more than fat. And by the looks of it, Maybin doesn't have an ounce of fat on him.

During the season, it looked like Maybin kept getting skinnier. He probably is having trouble keeping on the weight. It's my guess they weighed him at 250 before the season, because right now, he looks about 220. However, like I said, muscle weighs more than fat, so he's probably 230ish.

Raptor
01-13-2010, 09:44 AM
He played at 245 this year, he said it and Fewell said it before the Colts game on Sirius

Mahdi
01-13-2010, 09:47 AM
He played at 245 this year, he said it and Fewell said it before the Colts game on Sirius
Yeah. He was not 245. Don't care what Fewell said. Look at the pic for yourself. The guy looks like an NBA player.

No way Maybin or Fewell would come out and say he is 225 or 230 anyways and open themselves up to more criticism.

Tatonka
01-13-2010, 09:51 AM
i don't know how much he weighs.. but i would give a nut to be built like that.. don't know if he will be a good player or not.. but he is in some serious physical condition.

Mahdi
01-13-2010, 09:54 AM
i don't know how much he weighs.. but i would give a nut to be built like that.. don't know if he will be a good player or not.. but he is in some serious physical condition.
He was. That before and after split was around Pro-Day time. He lost a lot of that muscle.

And although you or I would be happy with that, it won't work for a DE or even a 3-4 OLB.

Mr. Pink
01-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Maybin is WAY too small to be a DE in the NFL.

Period.

ParanoidAndroid
01-13-2010, 09:58 AM

What a conundrum..... you need both nuts to pump out the testosterone in order to look like that.... :D

Tatonka
01-13-2010, 09:59 AM
i can see the condition he's in on the sidelines.. he is still in great condition.. he is just too light to be a DE.

Mahdi
01-13-2010, 10:00 AM
i can see the condition he's in on the sidelines.. he is still in great condition.. he is just too light to be a DE.
Conditioning is one thing, power and leverage is another.

k-oneputt
01-13-2010, 10:18 AM
See what happens when you hit a cycle of roids, and what happens when you go off them.

He is only 21 though so he should fill out more naturally in the next couple of years. Still he is not an NFL d-end, he's a 3-4 olb.

Another great move by Jauron or whomever wanted to pick him at #11.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
he is not a everydown de, i keep telling u people this, he is a pass rusher only... derrick thomas was only 235 and jason taylor 240... let his body fill out. mathis is only 235....

even if he can keep his weight at 250 he is only a 3rd down pass rusher only... i would have drafted orakpo but maybin could turn out to be a great pass rusher...

Mahdi
01-13-2010, 12:35 PM
he is not a everydown de, i keep telling u people this, he is a pass rusher only... derrick thomas was only 235 and jason taylor 240... let his body fill out. mathis is only 235....

even if he can keep his weight at 250 he is only a 3rd down pass rusher only... i would have drafted orakpo but maybin could turn out to be a great pass rusher...
1. Mathis is 6'2 245. Which means he is more compact than Maybin and can produce more power and leverage at that height and weight.

2. Maybin is no where near 250.

3. Maybin could not even pass rush when he was given the chance because he can only run in a straight line and there is no worry of a bull-rush.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-13-2010, 12:40 PM
maybin played at 240-245 this year, fewell said this.... if he gets stronger he will be able to shed blocks easier. give him a full offseason of power training...

cameron wake was 230 lbs at penn st too, now look at him... again, give maybin some time

Mahdi
01-13-2010, 12:45 PM
maybin played at 240-245 this year, fewell said this.... if he gets stronger he will be able to shed blocks easier. give him a full offseason of power training...

cameron wake was 230 lbs at penn st too, now look at him... again, give maybin some time
I agree that Maybin needs time... what I dont believe is that Maybin is 240 pounds or 250 like the official roster states.

Maybin is no more than 230.

streetkings01
01-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Wow.....I remember making a thread when he signed about how small he looked and got ripped for not knowing what I was talking about. Then the mods put a corny message under my avatar!

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=178242

realdealryan
01-13-2010, 01:12 PM
In practice you can't look at someone at know their weight. You can have an idea but at times be very far from the person's true weight. I'm 5'10" at most and weigh 250lbs; people typically guess 30lbs less. Maybin could easily weigh 250 even when he appears to weigh less than Schobel.

Whether or not this guy can play in the NFL will be decided later, and not by his weight.

Mahdi
01-13-2010, 01:28 PM
In practice you can't look at someone at know their weight. You can have an idea but at times be very far from the person's true weight. I'm 5'10" at most and weigh 250lbs; people typically guess 30lbs less. Maybin could easily weigh 250 even when he appears to weigh less than Schobel.

Whether or not this guy can play in the NFL will be decided later, and not by his weight.
With athletes it is much easier to determine weight.

Raptor
01-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Yeah. He was not 245. Don't care what Fewell said. Look at the pic for yourself. The guy looks like an NBA player.

No way Maybin or Fewell would come out and say he is 225 or 230 anyways and open themselves up to more criticism.

So your some type of expert on judging weight by pictures? I see a 6'4 ripped SOB that easily could be 245, but then again I'm not trying to push some sort of weird agenda

One of the most pathetic things about this fan base is the ridicules obsession with the weight of players. Seriously it doesnt matter, J.Taylor played in the 240's his entire career and was great. Weight doesnt determine how good a football player you will be talent does,

Mahdi
01-13-2010, 01:41 PM
So your some type of expert on judging weight by pictures? I see a 6'4 ripped SOB that easily could be 245, but then again I'm not trying to push some sort of weird agenda

One of the most pathetic things about this fan base is the ridicules obsession with the weight of players. Seriously it doesnt matter, J.Taylor played in the 240's his entire career and was great. Weight doesnt determine how good a football player you will be talent does,
You don't have to be an expert to know he is not close to 240. And for the record I am not too concerned with weights when it comes to players but there has to be a realistic range that players in certain positions have to play in. Maybin is too far away from that range.

Raptor
01-13-2010, 01:51 PM
You don't have to be an expert to know he is not close to 240. And for the record I am not too concerned with weights when it comes to players but there has to be a realistic range that players in certain positions have to play in. Maybin is too far away from that range.

So you are going on nothing but that picture which does nothing to help your point because he could very easily be 245 in that pic Once you realize he's 6'4?

Fewell said, oh but thats right he's lying
Maybin said, oh but he's also lying
Everyone said he played in the 230's in college and clearly has gained weight from his college days but is still no where near 240 because that extra weight is a mirage

So what we have is a grand conspiracy to keep Maybins weight a secrete but you have unlocked that secrete with your expert analysis of that picture lolol WTF?

What else do you think the Bills are hiding??? Could Marcus Stroud be pregnant??? We better upload some more pictures to confirm or deny

Mahdi
01-13-2010, 02:03 PM
So you are going on nothing but that picture which does nothing to help your point because he could very easily be 245 in that pic Once you realize he's 6'4?

Fewell said, oh but thats right he's lying
Maybin said, oh but he's also lying
Everyone said he played in the 230's in college and clearly has gained weight from his college days but is still no where near 240 because that extra weight is a mirage

So what we have is a grand conspiracy to keep Maybins weight a secrete but you have unlocked that secrete with your expert analysis of that picture lolol WTF?

What else do you think the Bills are hiding??? Could Marcus Stroud be pregnant??? We better upload some more pictures to confirm or deny
Organizations usually exaggerate player weights for a variety of reasons. How do you think it would make the Bills look that their prized first round pick is only 225 or 230? Especially at DE.

Again, you don't have to be an expert to see that he has very little bulk on his body. He is very defined, but very trimmed down.

Look at the picture I posted in the original thread post from his Pro Day... are you telling me that he is anywhere near that 252? You really think there is only a 7 pound difference between the Pro-Day pic and his current pics?

Raptor
01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Organizations usually exaggerate player weights for a variety of reasons. How do you think it would make the Bills look that their prized first round pick is only 225 or 230? Especially at DE.

Again, you don't have to be an expert to see that he has very little bulk on his body. He is very defined, but very trimmed down.

Look at the picture I posted in the original thread post from his Pro Day... are you telling me that he is anywhere near that 252? You really think there is only a 7 pound difference between the Pro-Day pic and his current pics?

Your confusing a laziness to update players weight in the media guide to teams wanting to keep there players weight a secrete

I've seen the pic and he looks a lot bigger than he did in college. Plus you might want to find a better pic then just a side shot of his arm in which I still disagree because his arm still looks a lot closer to his 252 weight than his 235 college weight

Mahdi
01-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Your confusing a laziness to update players weight in the media guide to teams wanting to keep there players weight a secrete

I've seen the pic and he looks a lot bigger than he did in college. Plus you might want to find a better pic then just a side shot of his arm in which I still disagree because his arm still looks a lot closer to his 252 weight than his 235 college weight
I didn't ask if he looks bigger than he did in college. I said does he look as big as he did in the Pro-Day picture....

And obviously there is a huge difference. If you can't see that then the argument is pointless.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-13-2010, 02:48 PM
i think maybin can be like cameron wake if he works on his explosivness more in his upper and lower body....

Tatonka
01-13-2010, 04:17 PM

so they are much more concerned with his perceived weight than if he can play? i am sure all they care about is his production and not his perceived weight by the public who thinks that you can only be successful at DE if your 270 or more, regardless of the multiple current players who have proven that completely wrong.

Mahdi
01-13-2010, 04:35 PM
so they are much more concerned with his perceived weight than if he can play? i am sure all they care about is his production and not his perceived weight by the public who thinks that you can only be successful at DE if your 270 or more, regardless of the multiple current players who have proven that completely wrong.
My point is not whether he can play or not at that weight. I am usually one of the ones saying that you don't have to be 260 or 270 to play DE.

On this subject im just saying that Maybin is not anywhere near his listed weight or the weight he was at around his Pro Day.