PDA

View Full Version : Per Schefter on SportScenter......

Saratoga Slim
01-13-2010, 10:21 AM
11:15 on Wednesday:

Says that after further reflection, Brian Schottenheimer has told the Bills that he is going to decline to be interviewed for the Bills' HC job. He's really happy working with Rex Ryan, and doesn't want to leave.

Also said that Russ Grimm will interview, and that "it will be up to the Bills to convince him to take it."

Finally, reitarated that Cowher isn't coming.

Take it for what you will. I didn't really want Schottenheimer, but was hoping that we'd at least get an interview. As accurate as Schefter and all these other guys have been thus far, who knows, maybe we still will.

Demon
01-13-2010, 10:22 AM
wow. this just can not be true. We may have hit a rock bottom if Marty's son is saying no to us.

Mahdi
01-13-2010, 10:23 AM
I have a feeling that the Jets did that on purpose just to embarrass the Bills. Would be very Rex Ryan.

Overall though, this is very embarrassing that an NFL franchise cannot bring in coaching candidates.

Dicknoze69
01-13-2010, 10:26 AM
I have a feeling that the Jets did that on purpose just to embarrass the Bills. Would be very Rex Ryan.

Overall though, this is very embarrassing that an NFL franchise cannot bring in coaching candidates.

I think the Bills are a complete afterthought to Rex Ryan at this point and in general.

Novacane
01-13-2010, 10:28 AM
This is getting pathetic. I did not want him but hell, this is embarassing.

Mr. Pink
01-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Why would Rex Ryan give two shakes about the Buffalo Bills?

Seriously.

I'd love to be a head coach, but I say that with an asterisk," Schottenheimer said Sunday after the Jets beat the Bengals in the wild-card round of the playoffs. "That's my dream, but I want to be a head coach when the time is right, when the situation is right. I don't want to just take a job to take a job."

trapezeus
01-13-2010, 10:29 AM
anyone care to wake up ralph and show him what his wishy washy nature on the state of the bills has bred for us fans?

Douchebag.

Mahdi
01-13-2010, 10:29 AM
I think the Bills are a complete afterthought to Rex Ryan at this point and in general.
Well when you make someone look bad and minimize their image, they don't look as desirable.

Keeping quality HC candidates away from Buffalo is always good for a division rival.

Michael82
01-13-2010, 10:30 AM
You gotta be ****ing kidding me! I don't care what it takes now, Ralph better pony up $10 million per year and TOTAL control to Bill Cowher to convince him to come. This is ridiculous!

WeAreArthurMoates
01-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Good I didn't want Schotty. To inexperienced and would of been able to grab any good assistants.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-13-2010, 10:31 AM
You gotta be ****ing kidding me! I don't care what it takes now, Ralph better pony up $10 million per year and TOTAL control to Bill Cowher to convince him to come. This is ridiculous!

Not amount of money and control will convince Cowher and his WIFE to take this job. With all the kids in college, this is now a two person hire.

Dicknoze69
01-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Are we now in a position where we throw a significant offer at Grimm? Because right now, it's looking like Frazier wins by default and our fan base immediately lights themselves on fire.

Novacane
01-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Good I didn't want Schotty. To inexperienced and would of been able to grab any good assistants.

I did not want him either but what does it say about the Bills when an inexperienced guy that would not have been able to get good assistants is not even interested in interviewing for our job?

Mahdi
01-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Why would Rex Ryan give two shakes about the Buffalo Bills?

Seriously.

I'd love to be a head coach, but I say that with an asterisk," Schottenheimer said Sunday after the Jets beat the Bengals in the wild-card round of the playoffs. "That's my dream, but I want to be a head coach when the time is right, when the situation is right. I don't want to just take a job to take a job."
Did we not take a win away from him this season and are we not going to play him twice next year???

Of course he cares... and he would probably prefer to see us end up with Frazier than someone with some real credentials like Garrett.

I'm not saying he spent a day and a half devising this scheme. But he and Brian might have thought it would be damaging to the Bills if they accept the invitation then decline it after some thought.

If a small fish like Schottenheimer rejects the opportunity to coach the Bills do you think a big fish like Garrett accepts what Schott wouldn't touch???

Prov401
01-13-2010, 10:35 AM
We are seriously the Oakland Raiders of the East. This is f****** pathetic. Shotty Jr. turning us down, is about as good as the Jets' waterboy turning us down.

Novacane
01-13-2010, 10:36 AM
At this point it will be a major coup if they can get Grimm. What an effing joke. :cynic:

Novacane
01-13-2010, 10:37 AM

The Cowher door is closed.

Billsfan3
01-13-2010, 10:38 AM
what other candiates are out there that we might go after?

Novacane
01-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Also said that Russ Grimm will interview, and that "it will be up to the Bills to convince him to take it."

:lmao: We have the only HC job open and we have to beg Grimm to take it. Wow.

Michael82
The Cowher door is closed.
I refuse to believe that, especially after listening to Sal's show last night.

trapezeus
you give the bills too much credit, guys. Rex Ryan and other NFL coaches don't fear the bills. they don't need to play mind games with the bills. Simply put, Schotty has a rookie QB, a great running game and a studly line. He doesn't have to do anything but run, run run. He has an awesome defense bailingout his INT happy QB.

It's a bad fit for him to come here.

A truly pisspoor team like the bills need a guy who knows what to do immediately. they don't need a newbie learning on the job with second rate assistants. but winning isn't important.

trapezeus
01-13-2010, 10:41 AM

sal said that cowher said no last night. and now kelly has to magically make cowher say yes. It's not going to happen. money, power, and anything else isn't going to sway cowher's mind. unless he is Kelly's father, i don't see cowher subjecting himself to this patheticness. This team sucks and apparently that's how ralph wants it.

I can't wait for him and those idiots in the front office to see a barren stadium next year. That's on them. Not us.

Novacane
01-13-2010, 10:41 AM
what other candiates are out there that we might go after?

Fewell.

Mr. Pink
01-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Did we not take a win away from him this season and are we not going to play him twice next year???

Of course he cares... and he would probably prefer to see us end up with Frazier than someone with some real credentials like Garrett.

I'm not saying he spent a day and a half devising this scheme. But he and Brian might have thought it would be damaging to the Bills if they accept the invitation then decline it after some thought.

If a small fish like Schottenheimer rejects the opportunity to coach the Bills do you think a big fish like Garrett accepts what Schott wouldn't touch???

Do you really think if Schottenheimer thought this was a good place to come and wanted to be a HC that Rex would have any say in it?

Would you allow someone else to make decisions in your life who doesn't directly affect your life?

if Brian wanted to coach the Bills, he'd interview. It's really that simple.

Mahdi
01-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Fewell.
Jauron.

Mahdi
01-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Do you really think if Schottenheimer thought this was a good place to come and wanted to be a HC that Rex would have any say in it?

Would you allow someone else to make decisions in your life who doesn't directly affect your life?

if Brian wanted to coach the Bills, he'd interview. It's really that simple.
I never said Rex made the decision. I'm saying Schott was going to say no anyways but Rex and him thought it would be more damaging to say yes first then decline later on.

Novacane
01-13-2010, 10:45 AM

What did Sal say that would make you think this? He said Cowher told the Bills no but that the Bills kept trying with Kelly etc. If he said no what makes you think he's going to change his mind?

ddaryl
01-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Brian and Marty combo is a yay

Brian solo is a nay

so if Marty is not in this equation then this is for the best outside of the fact he just blew off the Bills and a HC interview

THATHURMANATOR
01-13-2010, 10:47 AM
I don't believe Shefter or any of these guys to have 100% definite knowledge of anything that will or will not happen. All just guesses from things they have heard others who may or may not be close to the situation say.

Dicknoze69
01-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Brian and Marty combo is a yay

Brian solo is a nay

so if Marty is not in this equation then this is for the best outside of the fact he just blew off the Bills and a HC interview

I agree 100%.

Michael82
01-13-2010, 10:52 AM
This was after his show...

I'm not sure it was exactly Jan 6 Cowher said NO, but I was told on JAN 6. That's when I was told they were putting on the "full court press."

Ralph's comments were the NEXT DAY.

I haven't heard one peep since.

That's why I think something could still happen, but am waiting just like everyone else.

realdealryan
01-13-2010, 10:55 AM
I know that the ship has sailed for most and that the hope for Cowher only remains with the "homers", but we don't have that many coaches left that the Bills are/were considering.

The other interesting part of this for me is that I actually get to root for Jim Kelly, which is still more fun a decade+ after his retirement (during offseason overtures towards a coach who might not want our job) than rooting for any of our quarterbacks on the field this year.

shaunm000
01-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Why dont you hire Jim Kelly?

EDS
01-13-2010, 11:07 AM
This is why Ralph should have hired a good GM - someone who could convince a decent coach to come on board.

Brilliant.

chernobylwraiths
01-13-2010, 11:14 AM

Another overreaction. :rolleyes:

OH NO, A COACH WE DIDN'T WANT ANYWAY DECLINED AN INTERVIEW!!! PATTI IS RIGHT, THE WORLD IS ENDING!!!

Tbuffalobills
01-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Rex Ryan Probably put a Gun to his head! Ryan is a total control freak! Let's wait until Monday when the Jets are done in the playoffs! I bet his tone changes!

Michael82
01-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Another overreation. :rolleyes:

OH NO, A COACH WE DIDN'T WANT ANYWAY DECLINED AN INTERVIEW!!! PATTI IS RIGHT, THE WORLD IS ENDING!!!
What is an overreation? :scratch:

Mr. Pink
01-13-2010, 11:19 AM
What is an overreation? :scratch:

Maybe it's when you go to the Old Country Buffet and just have to go up and get that 6th plate?

chernobylwraiths
01-13-2010, 11:25 AM
What is an overreaction? :scratch:

What you do about 1000 times a day.

Yeah, I had a typographical error, sue me.

Mr. Pink
01-13-2010, 11:26 AM
What you do about 1000 times a day.

Yeah, I had a typographical error, sue me.

I did not know the grammar nazi was prone to those!

Michael82
01-13-2010, 11:27 AM
:rofl: Exactly!

Night Train
01-13-2010, 11:35 AM
What about his Dad ?

chernobylwraiths
01-13-2010, 11:39 AM

Grammar and typographical errors are completely different.

Demon
01-13-2010, 11:41 AM

Sorry Mikey, but I disagree. If this is all true, then i wish the Bills just move on from Cowher. It's obvious he's using us and has no interest. After the real offer was offered and maybe a little bit of begging, if he still didn't like it, then who cares? We need to find a guy who WANTS to be here. I really hoped for an offensive mind in Buffalo, but it looks like it's between Frazier and Grimm. As Sal said last night, Grimm was our #2 on the list. Not sure what type of offense he can bring or who he can get as D.C. but i really think these are our options.

I really started to like Brian Schottenhiemer and it's too bad he said no. I would have liked to see what an offensive mastermind can do.

If Cowher doesn't want to be here, we need to move on. Offering him everything isn't a smart business decision.

deviantwolf
01-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Looks like it's getting to be that time where we can write the Bills off as being a factor for another decade. They can't get any quality candidates to take them seriously. They are going to be left hiring someone that isn't fit for the job and we will see what we have seen for the past ten years. Mediocrity and worse.

The FO needs to sit down and re-evaluate their situation. Ralph needs to re-evaluate the idea of selling this team before he dies or at the least publicly releasing his plan when he passes.

No one out there is going to take Buffalo seriously with all the question marks looming nearby.

ddaryl
01-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Grammar and typographical errors are completely different.

know there nto

Buddo
01-13-2010, 03:49 PM
In all honesty, I think there's much more in respect of the playing side 'situation', than anything else. What has been 'reported' by Shefter, is that with both Shanahan and Cowher, the $ were not an issue.
While we actually do have a number of pieces in place, what we don't have is an obviously viable QB, or LT. Also, as I understand it, both Shanahan (now anyway) and Cowher would be looking to run a 3-4 D. We certainly don't have all the right pieces in place for that, most notably a viable NT.
Strikes me, that the Bills are suffering from bad timing again. Shanahan and Cowher both want to be able to turn things around quickly. Their preferred schemes, aren't going to let them do that in Buffalo.
It could also be the case, that they see the Bills as having little opportunity to actually get a viable QB for another year, as this year's draft isn't overly blessed with top candidates, and neither is FA, or what might transpire as FA if there is no CBA. The same actually probably applies to a NT, although we should be able to get a decent LT.
Guys like Shanahan and Cowher, don't get to be successful without the ability to 'forward plan', and that would no doubt include a serious assessment of what needs to be done to our roster, to get the right pieces in place. I rather suspect that they looked at it and thought, 3 years, then maybe we can compete in a way I'd want to.
For the Bills to turn things around quickly, they probably need to hire a guy like Grimm, who will sort the O-Line out and just run the football for the time being, or Frazier, who would likely get the additional couple of pieces we need to have a better all round 4-3 D, while bringing with him Saunders, who is a proven NFL OC.