PDA

View Full Version : I think its time to call Brian Billick

patmoran2006
01-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Im not a huge fan of his, and he wasn't first, second or third among my choices.

But I think its time to give this guy a call.

There are at least two things I like about him

1- He's a credible name

2- He has an excellent history of hiring great assistants and coordinators.

I really have a bad feeling if Leslie Frazier is our coach its going to hurt at the box office big time.

Plus, to be honest I'm not sold as Frazier being the kind of coach this team is in need of.

Grimm's my guy at this point-- but Billick could bring some respectability back here, cause getting turned down by coordinators is embarassing.

Mr. Pink
01-13-2010, 01:36 PM
If he has interest, like he's stated, right now he should be choice 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

Whatever it takes to get it done to get him on the sidelines next year.

ddaryl
01-13-2010, 01:36 PM
if we haven't called him now we won't be... That's a call that should have been made a week or so ago

at to be honest I don't think Billick brings much that a top Coordinator couldn't match

Dujek
01-13-2010, 01:37 PM
I'd have called him right after Cowher. I understand he's upset some people with his comments a few weeks back, and I understand that some people who don't like real football don't like the smash-mouth style his teams play, but he's a winner, he consistently took the Ravens to the post-season, and he won a SB with an awful QB AND he seems to want the job.

Mudflap1
01-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Here's what I don't get about Billick. Why does everybody think Billick is a has been, but everybody loves Jon Gruden? They have had very similar careers. The only thing you could say about Gruden is that he did well with the Raiders as head coach before Tampa Bay. However, both won Super Bowls over 7 seasons ago, and both have had some good playoff seasons since, and missed the playoffs some since. Both are humongous upgrades compared to whom the Bills have had on the sidelines for the past decade.

Call Billick. He's a similar coach to Gruden, can probably be had for a more reasonable price, is exceptionally bright, has had succes including a Super Bowl win, and he wants to coach. He's actually a guy that would come here. I don't understand what the hold up is.

Dicknoze69
01-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Here's what I don't get about Billick. Why does everybody think Billick is a has been, but everybody loves Jon Gruden? They have had very similar careers. The only thing you could say about Gruden is that he did well with the Raiders as head coach before Tampa Bay. However, both won Super Bowls over 7 seasons ago, and both have had some good playoff seasons since, and missed the playoffs some since. Both are humongous upgrades compared to whom the Bills have had on the sidelines for the past decade.

Call Billick. He's a similar coach to Gruden, can probably be had for a more reasonable price, is exceptionally bright, has had succes including a Super Bowl win, and he wants to coach. He's actually a guy that would come here. I don't understand what the hold up is.

I think the logical answer is the difference in their personalities.

And yes, he certainly has the credentials/experience to merit at least an interview.

Mudflap1
01-13-2010, 01:49 PM
I think the logical answer is the difference in their personalities.

And yes, he certainly has the credentials/experience to merit at least an interview.

So Billick is considered too much of a hot head control freak, but Chucky is not? HE IS CHUCKY!

For the record, I really like both coaches. I don't understand why Gruden is looked at as a savior, and Billick is looked at as yesterday's garbage.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Just remember this about Les. He brings terrific motivational skills and holds people accountable, both things Jauron lacked. Secondly he will bring Al Saunders compared to Billick bringing Tice as the OC.

Dicknoze69
01-13-2010, 01:54 PM
So Billick is considered too much of a hot head control freak, but Chucky is not? HE IS CHUCKY!

For the record, I really like both coaches. I don't understand why Gruden is looked at as a savior, and Billick is looked at as yesterday's garbage.

I think it's more the ego that Billick is supposed to have. However, I agree with you that Gruden/Billick appear to fairly similar coaches.

It makes you wonder if Billick burned some NFL bridges or some other unknown negative exists. He certainly has the experience we were supposed to covet.

Jaybird
01-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Just remember this about Les. He brings terrific motivational skills and holds people accountable, both things Jauron lacked. Secondly he will bring Al Saunders compared to Billick bringing Tice as the OC.

whats so special about Al saunders?? his massive playbook?

Mudflap1
01-13-2010, 01:56 PM
I think it's more the ego that Billick is supposed to have. However, I agree with you that Gruden/Billick appear to fairly similar coaches.

It makes you wonder if Billick burned some NFL bridges or some other unknown negative exists. He certainly has the experience we were supposed to covet.

Agreed. Is there some dark shadow around Billick? If not, then there is no reason he has not been interviewed here yet. As Ingtar33 pointed out with Jim Harbaugh, big egos and control freaks are not reason enough to be out of the NFL, all coaches have egos and are control freaks to a certain extent. What is the extra baggage, if any?

ChristopherWalken
01-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Is he even going to want to interview having not been called until after several other choices declined?

Dicknoze69
01-13-2010, 02:00 PM

I think most people's issue with Frazier is how similar he appears to be Jauron. However, that similarity doesn't preclude someone from being a good coach because Dungy is in much the same mold. Frazier's defenses don't seem to be straight Cover 2 either; they appear to be much more physical.

Both Frazier and Grimm have solid NFL connections and would build decent staffs I believe.

I don't necessarily think Frazier will be a bad hire per se, but the fan base would pour gasoline on themselves and run for a match.

cocamide
01-13-2010, 02:05 PM
If coordinators don't want to come here to be the head coach, then why would any of them want to come here to be coordinators? We're screwed.

BigZ
01-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Guys, you've all been there.

It's 2:30 in the morning and the bar is starting to clear out.

All the good looking women have left with other guys.

Some of the "not so bad" girls are leaving with their girlfriends and coming back next week.

You know what's left.

For the Bills, it's about 12:45 AM.............

cocamide
01-13-2010, 02:21 PM

Some of the "not so bad" girls are leaving with their girlfriends and coming back next week.

You know what's left.

To complete your analogy, we'd go home alone and imagine ourselves with Jennifer Love Hewitt, because that's all we have as Bills fans: fantasies.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-13-2010, 02:32 PM
I agree bring him in

ddaryl
01-13-2010, 02:33 PM
he consistently took the Ravens to the post-season, and he won a SB with an awful QB AND he seems to want the job.

You might want to review that one some more. in fact I'll help you

Now lets review shall we

he's been to the playoffs 4 times in 9 years as HC

he won 5 playoff games. he won 4 of them the year he won the SB and then won a wildcard game the next season. Since then he has not won a playoff game

He has 5 winning seasons in 9 years. 1 8-8 season and 3 losing seasons

Go here for stats and just change the year in the url for each season you want to review
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2007/

His offenses have been league bottom

14th in 99
14th in 00
18th in 01
23rd in 02
32nd in 03
20th in 04
25th in 05
12th in 06
24th in 07

His Defenses are solid but he has had a stocked Ravens D...

6th in 99
1st in 00
4th in 01
19th in 02
6th in 03
6th in 04
10th in 05
1st in 06
22 in 07

IMO Billick in on par with a top coordinator

but for me I need some offense on our team. I can't watch any more unexciting low scoring Bills offenses anymore.. So my choice will lean towards a coach that can bring our Offense back to life

Iehoshua
01-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Anyone with a shred of credibility toward even sniffing a playoff appearance would be a stellar choice in my book.

Yeah it's that desperate.

Novacane
01-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Grimm or Billick. Those are the only 2 names left that I will find any hope in. Anyone else and I am going to be extremely depressed.

Ingtar33
01-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Grimm or Billick. Those are the only 2 names left that I will find any hope in. Anyone else and I am going to be extremely depressed.

I'm with you there.

Prov401
01-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Right now, it seems that nobody wants to become the head coach of our team. Billick and Martz have been the only ones quoted as saying they would be interested, along with obviously Fewell and Frazier. None of these four were any of my choices, and I'd truly rather would have Fewell come back than have Mike Martz here. I agree with a comment above...Billick, in my perspective, is a coordinator type of guy. What I mean by that is, he isn't in the upper class of Ex-head coaches out there.

Assuming Cowher is out, and now that Shotty Jr. is gone, my list is as follows.

Marty (long-shot)
Rivera
Grimm
Billick

Frazier/Martz/Fewell/McDermott/Anybody else with the last name not being Dungy, Cowher, or Gruden...Is a bust IMO.

madness
01-13-2010, 03:10 PM
No thank you. I'd easily take Frazier, Grimm, or Rivera over Billick.

Saratoga Slim
01-13-2010, 03:12 PM
I found this portion of an ESPN.com article by Shefter from a few days ago kind of interesting, in a "what does he mean by that" kind of way:

"Bill Cowher is not going to be the Bills' next head coach, no matter how much money the franchise has offered him, according to league sources. Brian Billick never was considered once Buffalo hired new general manager Buddy Nix, sources said. But Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier is said to have had a highly impressive interview. Buffalo still is planning on conducting more interviews with more coaches involved in the playoffs, and their outlook always could change, but heading into the start of the postseason, Frazier is the temporary leader in the clubhouse."

Link. (http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4813240&name=schefter_adam)

Maybe there's some bad blood there? Maybe Nix knows or thinks something about Billick that makes OBD think he's not a great fit? Maybe Billick wanted a personnel role too? I think it's probably more likely one of the latter, as if there was bad blood, I don't think Billick would be expressing interest (as he has).

Anyway, just more food for our little rumor mill.

Mudflap1
01-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Great, so our 70 year old, in house, first time GM thinks that Super Bowl winning coaches aren't acceptable enough to interview. I'd love to know more about why this is the case.

Iehoshua
01-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Great, so our 70 year old, in house, first time GM thinks that Super Bowl winning coaches aren't acceptable enough to interview. I'd love to know more about why this is the case. Because, he only won 1 Superbowl, and most of the playoff games he won were that year. His teams weren't stellar on BOTH sides of the ball.

Its clearly the standard that Buffalo needs a head coach who can produce an offensive and defensive juggernaut.

Billick's Superbowl WIN also is way out of line with the Bills franchise goals too...

:sarcasm:

ddaryl
01-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Because, he only won 1 Superbowl, and most of the playoff games he won were that year. His teams weren't stellar on BOTH sides of the ball.

His D's were stellar, but it was a talent stacked D.

His Offenses weren't very good

and he doesn't have a real fantastic overall record playoffs or regular season

However beggars can't be chosers, but I personally don't rank Billick above guys like Grimm.

Billick should be interviewed but I view him as equal to the top coordinators we are interviewing... He should be interviewed

Tiburon1724
01-13-2010, 04:25 PM
It really frustrates me and I can't for the life of me figure out why they haven't contacted Billick!! Really, you want an o-line coach as head coach over Billick?!

paladin warrior
01-13-2010, 05:40 PM
YEs YES YES YES!!!! call him . Somebody grab him and tie him. Bring over to the Buffalo Bills.

Nighthawk
01-13-2010, 05:42 PM
I found this portion of an ESPN.com article by Shefter from a few days ago kind of interesting, in a "what does he mean by that" kind of way:

"Bill Cowher is not going to be the Bills' next head coach, no matter how much money the franchise has offered him, according to league sources. Brian Billick never was considered once Buffalo hired new general manager Buddy Nix, sources said. But Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier is said to have had a highly impressive interview. Buffalo still is planning on conducting more interviews with more coaches involved in the playoffs, and their outlook always could change, but heading into the start of the postseason, Frazier is the temporary leader in the clubhouse."

Link. (http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4813240&name=schefter_adam)

Maybe there's some bad blood there? Maybe Nix knows or thinks something about Billick that makes OBD think he's not a great fit? Maybe Billick wanted a personnel role too? I think it's probably more likely one of the latter, as if there was bad blood, I don't think Billick would be expressing interest (as he has).

Anyway, just more food for our little rumor mill.

Nix was a bad hire and it's starting to look worse with each passing day.

Beebe's Kid
01-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Nix was a bad hire and it's starting to look worse with each passing day.

This may not be the case. I don't feel Nix was a bad hire, I feel Nix took a raw deal. he seems to be well respected, and I didn't see any national media calling out the Nix hire, only disgruntled (justifiably) locals, for what seemed like more of the same.

Could you imagine if this was Brandon making these calls? We would get a "There has been a Verizon truck at OBD all day, as it appears there must be a problem with the phone lines. They say that outgoing calls are not reaching an of the desired parties. Incoming appears to be working, but has yet to be tested, as there has been no calls to OBD in two weeks."

Ingtar33
01-13-2010, 06:03 PM
This may not be the case. I don't feel Nix was a bad hire, I feel Nix took a raw deal. he seems to be well respected, and I didn't see any national media calling out the Nix hire, only disgruntled (justifiably) locals, for what seemed like more of the same.

Could you imagine if this was Brandon making these calls? We would get a "There has been a Verizon truck at OBD all day, as it appears there must be a problem with the phone lines. They say that outgoing calls are not reaching an of the desired parties. Incoming appears to be working, but has yet to be tested, as there has been no calls to OBD in two weeks."

I don't understand Bills Fans obsessive belief that Nix was a good hire.

He's a rookie GM, who never really made any draft day decisions (especially if the spin out of OBD is to be believed that Jauron was picking our drafts).

He's a respected talent evaluator but that means little if he's not going to spend or be allowed to spend Ralph's money.

Dying_-2-_Live
01-13-2010, 06:06 PM
If Grimm declines, i really feel billick will be interviewed

Nighthawk
01-13-2010, 06:08 PM
I don't understand Bills Fans obsessive belief that Nix was a good hire.

He's a rookie GM, who never really made any draft day decisions (especially if the spin out of OBD is to be believed that Jauron was picking our drafts).

He's a respected talent evaluator but that means little if he's not going to spend or be allowed to spend Ralph's money.

Exactly...the guy is a puppet and it's showing now with all the coaching candidates turning him down for interviews. They know that his hiring was just a sign that nothing has changed or will change. If he was so respected, then why couldn't he even get one of his good friends son to interview for the position? This belief that Nix is a super respected NFL figure is a bunch of crap that Bills fans have made up to make themselves feel better about the hire. In the end his hire was the same old thing from One Bills Drive.

elltrain22
01-13-2010, 07:15 PM
With all thats gone on already this offseason, if we hire Frazier, the fanbase is gonna flip out. Season ticket sales will suffer beyond epic proportions. I think if we hire Frazier it totally contradicts us firing trickie dick. If we bring in another calm-demeanored, cover 2 coach, how is this any different from Dick Jauron. The players, ya think, would react the same way to him, as they did to Jauron.

Billick would at least give us a name and not make us look like the Buffalo Raiders.

BigZ
01-13-2010, 10:09 PM

You know what's left.

Billick still looks good. Please look at him before the bar closes..........

Michael82
01-14-2010, 02:10 AM
I'm with you. I've liked Billick for a while. He's interested. I think we should call him in.

clumping platelets
01-14-2010, 03:14 AM
That's the :surrender move

Michael82
01-14-2010, 03:26 AM
That's the :surrender move
If Frazier is our only choice, it's time to wave the ****ing white flag immediately and bring in Billick!