PDA

View Full Version : Grimm will Interview

homeslice5484
01-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Grimm to interview; SI's King talks candidates

Nick Mendola

nick@wgr550.com

(WGR 550) -- Despite reports to the contrary, Arizona assistant coach Russ Grimm will interview with the Buffalo Bills either Wednesday or Thursday, according to the Arizona Republic.

Here's Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk.com's take:

"Even if Grimm has misgivings about taking the job, it makes sense for him to talk to the Bills. The more he interviews, the better he'll be when interviewing -- and the more he'll be asked to interview. Eventually, a sense will develop that it's inevitable Grimm will get an offer. And when that happens, Grimm will have to think long and hard about whether it's the first of many, or the first of only a few. Sometimes, the window closes as quickly as it opened."

Sports Illustrated's Peter King said he believes the Bills have given up on Bill Cowher and Jim Harbaugh, and outlines his front-runners and sleepers for the gig in his Tuesday morning edition of Monday Morning Quarterback (I know: it's weird). For King's take on the Bills coaching fiasco, click here (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/12/mail/index.html).

Email: nick@wgr550.com

Prov401
01-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Assuming the top guys (Marty and Cowher) are out of the picture, the only coordinators I'd be happy with are: Rivera, Grimm, Garrett in that order. Oh and...they all come before Billick IMO.

homeslice5484
01-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Channel 2 confirmed this..also showed part of Wisenhunts press conference where he said Grimm deserves to be a HC, blah blah blah

Dying_-2-_Live
01-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Grimm has been tied for my second favorite candidate for quite a while now

Demon
01-13-2010, 04:25 PM
This is our last hope. lol

TrEd FTW
01-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Grimm or bust now. I'd actually be perfectly fine with him.

Dying_-2-_Live
01-13-2010, 04:35 PM
LETS GET Russ "THE REAPER" Grimm

trapezeus
01-13-2010, 04:43 PM
as long as the bills are comfortable experimenting i'll be happy saving money and time from the bills until they prove they know how to work the chemicals at the lab.

This is such a joke. grimm isn't being interviewed. he's conducting an interview on us.

Night Train
01-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Let's view his HC and coordinator resume

EXPERIENCE :

Wow, that's impressive.

Demon
01-13-2010, 05:13 PM
lol well yeah, can't really argue against that.

What do you suggest? Time to become very desperate and call Mike Martz? He said a while ago he was interested. lol

shelby
01-13-2010, 05:16 PM
At least he's interviewing.....

Prov401
01-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Let's view his HC and coordinator resume

EXPERIENCE :

Wow, that's impressive.

I'm not going to lie...That does scare me a bit. However, these type of coaches are what we are left. The Cowher, Dungy, Gruden, and Marty wagon has all but lost it's 4th wheel. Out of all thats left out there, the only person I would take over Grimm is Ron Rivera. I'd take Grimm over Shotty Jr. (already took himself out), Garrett, Harbaugh, Martz, Frazier, Fewell, and Billick. I really think Ron Rivera is going to be a great HC one day.

patmoran2006
01-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Its never even been reported that we met with Harbaugh.

They gave up on him already? Geesh

mikemac2001
01-13-2010, 05:26 PM

3 weeks left in recruiting he can't talk about it

Prov401
01-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Oh, and people put so much stock into Superbowl rings, well...here's a fun fact.

Russ Grimm has more Superbowl rings (4), than anybody we've considered thus far. Including Cowher, Shanahan, Marty, etc.

He's been on teams that have been to the big stage, and got it done. He's won rings as a player, and coach. Learning from people like Joe Gibbs and Bill Cowher, I'm sure he knows a thing or two about coaching.

Demon
01-13-2010, 05:54 PM

Like Mike said, if the Bills did meet with Harbaugh, he probably asked them to keep it as private as possible and he would do the same, because, if it was announced he was in talks with an NFL team, and something didn't work out, still, his recruiting would be a disaster.

Demon
01-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Oh, and people put so much stock into Superbowl rings, well...here's a fun fact.

Russ Grimm has more Superbowl rings (4), than anybody we've considered thus far. Including Cowher, Shanahan, Marty, etc.

He's been on teams that have been to the big stage, and got it done. He's won rings as a player, and coach. Learning from people like Joe Gibbs and Bill Cowher, I'm sure he knows a thing or two about coaching.

For anyone interested, here's a article from 2007 from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about Grimm being the favorite for the Steelers job.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07011/752956-66.stm

SquishDaFish
01-13-2010, 05:57 PM
I would have no problem at all with Grimm. Hes my #1 choice after Cowher

plundar
01-13-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm glad we can help Grimm out so he can practice his interviewing. This organization is a joke. I'm starting to get pissed about all these guys turning down the Bills. There are 32 of these openings in the world. We shouldn't have to beg someone to take it.

Kenny
01-13-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm glad we can help Grimm out so he can practice his interviewing. This organization is a joke. I'm starting to get pissed about all these guys turning down the Bills. There are 32 of these openings in the world. We shouldn't have to beg someone to take it.

that's my thoughts exactly. I was excited early on with the possibility, -but after word got out that we have to 'convince' him to come here, -forget about it. I want a guy who actually wants to be here.

Grimm's just doing this to get experience, -so when a job does come his way, -he'll know what to do.

Dying_-2-_Live
01-13-2010, 06:05 PM
mike martz anyone?

Ingtar33
01-13-2010, 06:07 PM

the bolded part is why we have to beg people to interview. It's not the candidates fault they want nothing to do with this team. I had interviews after i left the front office work to try to get back into coaching with teams and for positions i knew would be a career killer if i took.

Right now our HC vacancy is looking like a career killer.

Oaf
01-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Great to be used a professional tool by coordinators around the league.

Michael82
01-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Well....my list is whittling down. But he's the best assistant Coach on my list. I have heard that he's compared to Bill Cowher. If we can't get Cowher, let's get Grimm!

Mike Shanahan --- GONE!
Bill Cowher --- Still holding out hope!
Marty Schottenheimer --- Not interested in coaching again
Brian Billick --- The Bills aren't showing him any interest
Russ Grimm --- (He's the next best thing and at least he knows that you need to build starting at the lines)
Ron Rivera --- Built a very good defense in San Diego and has been a coach for a while and is very respected throughout the league

Dying_-2-_Live
01-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Rivera wouldnt be bad at all either

BigZ
01-13-2010, 10:18 PM
My prediction a while back in the zonebucks contest was

Russ Grimm 1/14

I can still be right.

I still want Cowher.

Right now, I'd settle for April.

ArcticWildMan
01-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Right now our HC vacancy is looking like a career killer.
I wonder if any lightbulbs have come on yet at OBD? Ralph has to realize at this point that his team is nothing more than the east coast version of the Raiders.

About the only option Ralph has now is to hire the only guy who seems interested in the job (Frazier) and break the bank on some free agents in the hope that is what it takes. Too bad this is a terrible year for free agents and next year looks worse with a potential lock out looming.

Folks, we are the laughing stock of the NFL. Face reality.

NorthCarBills
01-14-2010, 10:46 AM
I wonder if any lightbulbs have come on yet at OBD? Ralph has to realize at this point that his team is nothing more than the east coast version of the Raiders.

About the only option Ralph has now is to hire the only guy who seems interested in the job (Frazier) and break the bank on some free agents in the hope that is what it takes. Too bad this is a terrible year for free agents and next year looks worse with a potential lock out looming.

Folks, we are the laughing stock of the NFL. Face reality.

Any definitive time for this Grimm interview yet? Sorry if I missed. Thanks!

Tatonka
01-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Ing, what do you propose the easiest fix to the perceived "career killer" perception would be?