PDA

View Full Version : Some noteworthy stuff on Grimm and a potential problem

patmoran2006
01-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Mark Gaughn from the news points out that Grimm and Mularkey have the same agent, and that he and Mularkey are friends who coached together for three years in Pittsburgh.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2010/01/grimm-mularkey-.html

Perhaps that's why Grimm's interest in Buffalo is lukewarm at best.

I cant stress to all you guys enough how much I talk to people that range from who cover the team full-time to people around the league and some with inside knowledge of the organization tell me that the Bills have an awful, awful reputation on a league-wide basis.

Billz_fan
01-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Absolutely pathetic :laughter: He is gonna be a tough sell if he wasn't already.

patmoran2006
01-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Spelled Mark's name wrong. .It's Gaughan. Sorry

Billz_fan
01-13-2010, 06:26 PM
He is gonna interview just for the sake of going through the process and gaining more experience in HC interviews.

THRILLHO
01-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Mark Gaughn from the news points out that Grimm and Mularkey have the same agent, and that he and Mularkey are friends who coached together for three years in Pittsburgh.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2010/01/grimm-mularkey-.html

Perhaps that's why Grimm's interest in Buffalo is lukewarm at best.

I cant stress to all you guys enough how much I talk to people that range from who cover the team full-time to people around the league and some with inside knowledge of the organization tell me that the Bills have an awful, awful reputation on a league-wide basis.

Well, not sure how many of us wanted Grimm, but it sucks to hear that we are not well received around the NFL. It is not shocking either. So the question is, what is it going to take (winning, duh) and how long is it going to take to get some 'cred' back?

Nighthawk
01-13-2010, 06:29 PM
The Bills being a joke around the league is not a shock...hell, anybody with half a brain knows that Ralph is a joke and his organization is too.

patmoran2006
01-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Well I only speak for me, but he was my choice after Cowher.

Dr. Lecter
01-13-2010, 06:30 PM
The Mularkey part is partially (mostly?) on the fans for the way they treated his family, especially his kids.

Although this organization ha been mismanaged for way too long. I do think Brandon is trying to fix it, but it might be too late.

jamze132
01-13-2010, 06:31 PM
:rofl:

Might as well keep Fewell...

patmoran2006
01-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Well, not sure how many of us wanted Grimm, but it sucks to hear that we are not well received around the NFL. It is not shocking either. So the question is, what is it going to take (winning, duh) and how long is it going to take to get some 'cred' back?

its going to take finding a coach willing to take a chance and getting really lucky to find a guy who will build a winner.

It has to start all over, which I dont think got off the best start with Nix being named GM instead of an outsider.

its just further proof that Ralph wants "yes men" to keep things closer to his vest. I dont know how much proof is needed.

Michael1222
01-13-2010, 06:33 PM

GO BILLS! (crys)

Nighthawk
01-13-2010, 06:33 PM
its going to take finding a coach willing to take a chance and getting really lucky to find a guy who will build a winner.

It has to start all over, which I dont think got off the best start with Nix being named GM instead of an outsider.

its just further proof that Ralph wants "yes men" to keep things closer to his vest. I dont know how much proof is needed.

I've been saying this since Nix was hired...it sent a terrible message to the rest of the league that absolutely nothing has changed with the Bills. They are not committed to winning and Ralph is still only worried about how much money he is making.

patmoran2006
01-13-2010, 06:38 PM
I've been saying this since Nix was hired...it sent a terrible message to the rest of the league that absolutely nothing has changed with the Bills. They are not committed to winning and Ralph is still only worried about how much money he is making.

I dont think Ralph is worried about how much money he's making.

But he's obviously unwilling to let outsiders run his team ever again, and at 91 he's never going to wake up and change.

If they were truly truly serious about Cowher, they would've hired him and let him bring his own GM in there to right this ship.

patmoran2006
01-13-2010, 06:39 PM
The Mularkey part is partially (mostly?) on the fans for the way they treated his family, especially his kids.

Although this organization ha been mismanaged for way too long. I do think Brandon is trying to fix it, but it might be too late.

it is too late.. They're down to getting Frazier or someone like him, and blindly hoping the guy turns out to be Dungy and can bring us respectability again.

I"m sure Mularkey has or will relay his experiences in Bufflao with the front office to Grimm.

BILLSROCK1212
01-13-2010, 06:45 PM
we need this next coaching hire to be a successful one otherwise we will be in the same boat as the Raiders

patmoran2006
01-13-2010, 06:49 PM
we need this next coaching hire to be a successful one otherwise we will be in the same boat as the Raiders

Going by what you're seeing right now, I think its too late for that.

The difference is that Al Davis is openly an *******

YardRat
01-13-2010, 06:59 PM

But he's obviously unwilling to let outsiders run his team ever again, and at 91 he's never going to wake up and change.

If they were truly truly serious about Cowher, they would've hired him and let him bring his own GM in there to right this ship.

You're assuming Cowher ever was truly truly serious about the Bills. I don't think he is, or ever was.

Nighthawk
01-13-2010, 07:05 PM

Ok, then let's just say this...Ralph is an idiot!

ChristopherWalken
01-13-2010, 07:05 PM
I don't have all the facts but didn't Mularkey call from his cell phone on the way out of town?

I guess what I'm saying is that the issue regarding Mularkey leaving was all Mike Mularkey. I kind of remember reports of Ralph begging him to stay.

Regardlesss, there are plenty of guys I work with that I would consider friends, but find their skills lacking, and the ability to make certain decisions based solely on what works for them. Doesn't mean that what they do should reflect on me or my opinion.

In other words, Grimm is his own man with his own mind and at the end of the day he doesn't have Mike Mularkey to answer to.

Ingtar33
01-13-2010, 07:07 PM

I can verify that.

ChristopherWalken
01-13-2010, 07:11 PM
I can verify that.

Could you elaborate please?

patmoran2006
01-13-2010, 07:12 PM
I don't have all the facts but didn't Mularkey call from his cell phone on the way out of town?

I guess what I'm saying is that the issue regarding Mularkey leaving was all Mike Mularkey. I kind of remember reports of Ralph begging him to stay.

Regardlesss, there are plenty of guys I work with that I would consider friends, but find their skills lacking, and the ability to make certain decisions based solely on what works for them. Doesn't mean that what they do should reflect on me or my opinion.

In other words, Grimm is his own man with his own mind and at the end of the day he doesn't have Mike Mularkey to answer to.

Well, Mularkey's conduct was debatable.

But what really matters is that he's friends with Grimm, so he's going to tell him what he tells him, if he hasn't already.

Ingtar33
01-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Could you elaborate please?

certainly. the buffalo bills have a terrible reputation around the league, in coaching circles and among the league players. I have colleagues who remain in the front offices of certain AFC teams and that's what i've been hearing the past 2 or 3 years (it was never a good reputation in the first place but it's gotten much worse recently).

Simply put, Ralph is too cheep, the facilities are 2nd rate, the city is boring (for the players) the scouting department is poor, and the front office is more interested in saving money then spending it.

in short nearly the same things they said about the Bengals during the 90s.

Tatonka
01-13-2010, 07:44 PM
sounds about right.

although i am not concerned in the least about mularky being the reason that grimm does or doesnt take the job. it is not like the two are best friends.. they worked on the same staff years ago.. and mularky got 3 years here.. he got a fair shake.. he just sucked.

Novacane
01-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Well, not sure how many of us wanted Grimm?

The majority of us want him considering our other choices.

Bmax
01-13-2010, 08:46 PM
So this is news .. Most that follow the league knew that the two coached together in Pittsburgh.. The same agent ? Well i will tell you this Eric Mertz is also the same agent that got former Bill Reben Brown a huge contract from the Bills....Not only that but he was also John Fina's agent who got him a boat load of money....

So i guess he could take some advice from Mularkey.. But at the End of the day ...Grimm is 50 He has watched Tomlin get a job over him..Wisenhunt and other young coaches...

His chances are running out...It's a young coaches game now...Russ better think about himself and only himself....

I remember when i was applying for a Job and every one told me don't go they are cheap...etc... except for one guy who simply said one man's prison is anothers paradise.

Yes they were right but that place gave me great career growth and much success...If he wants to be a coach in the NFL he takes the Job...if offered Frazier will because he knows that he might never get another chance to so he is worthy of leading a NFL team

BMAX

Goobylal
01-13-2010, 08:58 PM
certainly. the buffalo bills have a terrible reputation around the league, in coaching circles and among the league players. I have colleagues who remain in the front offices of certain AFC teams and that's what i've been hearing the past 2 or 3 years (it was never a good reputation in the first place but it's gotten much worse recently).

Simply put, Ralph is too cheep, the facilities are 2nd rate, the city is boring (for the players) the scouting department is poor, and the front office is more interested in saving money then spending it.

in short nearly the same things they said about the Bengals during the 90s.
Ralph isn't cheap. The Bills rank in the top half of player salaries annually. As for the facilities, SJF is a very nice place and the Ralph is what it is: a 30-year old stadium in an area that can't afford to build a new one. As for the city being boring, high taxes, small market/exposure, climate, those are major things, or should I say (mis)perceptions, working against the Bills.

BTW, what makes Grimm a top candidate for HC? He got passed-over for HC of th4e Bears, and the Steelers, despite being groomed for that job. He's not even an OC with the Cards. I also don't get the love for Brian Schottenheimer, unless people think he can lure his dad out of retirement.

Ingtar33
01-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Ralph isn't cheap. The Bills rank in the top half of player salaries annually. As for the facilities, SJF is a very nice place and the Ralph is what it is: a 30-year old stadium in an area that can't afford to build a new one. As for the city being boring, high taxes, small market/exposure, climate, those are major things, or should I say (mis)perceptions, working against the Bills..

Listen.. i didn't say i believe in all of those; i said that was the perception. you can bury your head in the sand or stand from a mountain top and scream it till your blue in the face, it won't change what other people think of your team. Before Reggie White signed in Green Bay the perception was the team was run by a bunch of white supremacist cheep assed pennypinchers who had no interest in winning.

It wasn't true, but because that was the perception no one would voluntarily go to greenbay no matter how much money you offered them.

We're in the same boat right now. Players see all of our probowl talent we draft getting their first "big" contract with any team but the bills, it makes us look cheep. when we cut dockery and walker, it made us look cheep. when we didn't sign an OT or get a QB heading into the season we looked cheep. when juaron wasn't fired in last off season we looked cheep. When the bills hire buddy nix to be GM we look cheep.

sure we spend money, but NFL rules and the salary cap DEMAND we spend money. Name one player we drafted who reached the end of his rookie contract and got a massive payout. I can think of 2 such players. Evans, who we signed for less the top WR money. and Schobel who we also signed for less then top DE money. In the last decade that was it.

Goobylal
01-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Listen.. i didn't say i believe in all of those; i said that was the perception. you can bury your head in the sand or stand from a mountain top and scream it till your blue in the face, it won't change what other people think of your team. Before Reggie White signed in Green Bay the perception was the team was run by a bunch of white supremacist cheep assed pennypinchers who had no interest in winning.

It wasn't true, but because that was the perception no one would voluntarily go to greenbay no matter how much money you offered them.

We're in the same boat right now. Players see all of our probowl talent we draft getting their first "big" contract with any team but the bills, it makes us look cheep. when we cut dockery and walker, it made us look cheep. when we didn't sign an OT or get a QB heading into the season we looked cheep. when juaron wasn't fired in last off season we looked cheep. When the bills hire buddy nix to be GM we look cheep.

sure we spend money, but NFL rules and the salary cap DEMAND we spend money. Name one player we drafted who reached the end of his rookie contract and got a massive payout. I can think of 2 such players. Evans, who we signed for less the top WR money. and Schobel who we also signed for less then top DE money. In the last decade that was it.
I said that they were (mis)perceptions of Buffalo. And a lot of things (weather, economy, market, "things to do") Ralph has no control over.

As for Evans and Schobel, they received market value and then some. Kelsay and Denney also got huge deals. Dockery was paid a ton, only to play like garbage. Who else didn't they pay? Clements? He didn't deserve it? Pat Williams? That was a mistake. Peters? He was a cancer after the Bills refused to give him a raise immediately after making the Pro Bowl, and people in Philly are starting to realize it was a bad trade.