PDA

View Full Version : NFL Officiating is a Joke

IAG
01-13-2010, 06:52 PM
I was just watching Mike Pereira on the NFL Network. Regarding the last play of the Packers and Cardinals game, he had the audacity to say the Cardinals defender had a "finger" on Rogers facemask...A FINGER.

I cannot stand how the NFL spins the most controversial calls.

Perhaps because the Bills also get screwed by every close call as well.

It is such a joke.

YardRat
01-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Looked like a facemask to me, but I'm glad the Cardinals won.

Dying_-2-_Live
01-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Looked like a facemask to me, but I'm glad the Cardinals won.
So am I... The Cardinals deserved that game after the whooping they gave em most of the game

Ingtar33
01-13-2010, 07:02 PM
it was probably a facemask. the trick is you can put your hand on the facemask you just can't grab it.

the fumble came before the facemask either way so it would have been AZ ball even if it was called. (no, a facemask while the ball is lose does not give the ball back to the team who fumbled)

Goobylal
01-13-2010, 08:36 PM
it was probably a facemask. the trick is you can put your hand on the facemask you just can't grab it.

the fumble came before the facemask either way so it would have been AZ ball even if it was called. (no, a facemask while the ball is lose does not give the ball back to the team who fumbled)
Not true. The Packers would have kept the ball. That's like saying when a QB throws an INT but the team commits a RTP penalty while the ball is in the air, it's still the other team's ball.

G Wolly
01-13-2010, 08:38 PM
It's all about judgment calls and from where they see the foul happen.

Maybe from his angle he saw a finger, but there's holding on 99% of the plays yet get called every so often.

IAG
01-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Doesn't anyone have an issue of the spin that goes on when the NFL has questionable calls? Remember the Music City Miracle explanations?

G Wolly
01-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Doesn't anyone have an issue of the spin that goes on when the NFL has questionable calls? Remember the Music City Miracle explanations?

Did you think they would really overturn that call?

In Tennessee?

To advance in the playoffs?

They would've been murdered. Literally.

feldspar
01-13-2010, 09:48 PM
It wasn't only the facemask...

The refs TOTALLY screwed Green Bay on that overtime drive in that game. On a play that the Packers made a first down, the refs called holding on them, setting them back hugely on the ten instead of having it be first and ten at around the 30. But, on that play, a Cardinals defender (Berry?) clearly speared Rodgers in the head with his own helmet...he lead with he head in a helmet-to-helmet collision. Absolutely no doubt about it. THAT was NOT called. That call/uncall was HUGE, and it was what put the Packers in the situation they were in when the facemask was not called.

The facemask should have been called, but they screwed them in the first place to put them into that situation. The Packers were likely to be able to run on the Cardinals at this point. Sometimes I wonder if these games are fixed.

gonzo1105
01-13-2010, 09:49 PM
I actually know an official in the NFL and they are very very thorough ....I've seen their grading reports and the film that they get sent and everything ....most of these guys get docked points for even the most minor things its actually quite amazing.

feldspar
01-13-2010, 11:17 PM
I actually know an official in the NFL and they are very very thorough ....I've seen their grading reports and the film that they get sent and everything ....most of these guys get docked points for even the most minor things its actually quite amazing.

Docked points...ouch. That really helps when the team that should have won lost. Docking points might mean something if all of them didn't suck. It's partly or even mostly the fault of the system itself...that is if you believe that there no corruption going on, which isn't out of the question.

What does the official that you know do in the offseason. In other words, what's his real job? The NFL needs full-time officials, and not a bunch of insurance salesmen, etc. They also need the crews to be calling the same things consistently across the board instead of different crews being more lenient or more strict, etc.

The officials totally botched what had been a completely classic game up to that point in the Packers/Cardinals game.

They ruin games and call the winners every week in a couple of games at least. I understand that it's a tough job, but WTF?

gonzo1105
01-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Docked points...ouch. That really helps when the team that should have won lost. Docking points might mean something if all of them didn't suck. It's partly or even mostly the fault of the system itself...that is if you believe that there no corruption going on, which isn't out of the question.

What does the official that you know do in the offseason. In other words, what's his real job? The NFL needs full-time officials, and not a bunch of insurance salesmen, etc. They also need the crews to be calling the same things consistently across the board instead of different crews being more lenient or more strict, etc.

The officials totally botched what had been a completely classic game up to that point in the Packers/Cardinals game.

They ruin games and call the winners every week in a couple of games at least. I understand that it's a tough job, but WTF?

Those Docked points cost them thousands of dollars.....the top 6 officiating crews go to the playoffs and the difference between ur staff making it and not making it i believe he said is 17,000 dollars. And he is a physical education teacher at a high school and I'll give you a hint the guy that I know and actually have worked with in Physical Education was not in any of the games this week but his staff did make the playoffs. He is apart of Alberto Riveron's staff

realdealryan
01-14-2010, 12:44 AM
a) the Berry play started to look like a pretty strong helmet-to-helmet play until I watched a few replays and it was clear that he dipped into the hit a HAIR but then backed off while A Rodg dropped like a fly

b) the sack-fumble play was a weird situation where it didn't matter if he stripped the ball, poked him in the eye 3 Stooges style, and sacked him.....because the ball never hit the ground; A Rodg illegally kicked the ball and gave Dansby the TD. You can say what you want about Adams' contact, but the unfortunate thing for Packers fans is that it all happened after the ball was in the air as a fumble.

On a side note, I the Bills are competitive next year, because I would definitely like to go to the Bills @ Packers game. Lambeau is Lambeau.

Buffalogic
01-14-2010, 02:28 AM
Better than NBA refs

YardRat
01-14-2010, 05:28 AM
http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedia/2010/01/10/22/nflsep1-111.ART_GDT11QK9N.1+Packers%20Cardinals%20Football.embedded.prod_affiliate.156.jpg

MikeInRoch
01-14-2010, 06:42 AM
Looks like a finger to me...

Thief
01-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Looks like a face mask to me.

Cleve
01-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Looks like a face mask to me.

Yep. Doesn't really matter if it was one finger, two or three. I can exert quite a bit of pull with just that one "little" index finger , and I'm not a highly conditioned professional athlete charged up with adrenaline. It was a blatant foul that happened right in front of the official, AND to the quarterback - and the NFL has made a goal to try and protect the QBs from unnecessary harm/injury

And Rodgers was blatantly fouled in the immediate play before, with a serious helmet to helmet hit from a defender. And that wasn't called either.