PDA

View Full Version : Quinn's state of the Sabres

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-13-2010, 08:20 PM
“Every day I come into the office, more so Darcy and Lindy, and that’s all that we think about. Now what road do you take to get there? “

Identifying a player to put the team over the hump would be one way. How open is the team to trading for a high-priced talent at the deadline?

“You should do it if it’s the one piece from the Cup. We have to believe that that’s the way to go and we’re not afraid of it.”
http://www.wgr550.com/Quinn-s-state-of-the-Sabres/6109414

DMBcrew36
01-13-2010, 08:41 PM
I'd rather the Sabres NOT get a rental this Spring. I think we're a contender but I don't think we're ready to make a big leap like Chicago. Rentals cost too, too much.

casdhf
01-13-2010, 09:00 PM
I think we're a contender without a rental.

SabreEleven
01-13-2010, 10:59 PM
“You should do it if it’s the one piece from the Cup. We have to believe that that’s the way to go and we’re not afraid of it.”

If they aren't afraid to do it, why haven't they EVER done it?

clumping platelets
01-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrGraves
01-13-2010, 11:13 PM
We have a good team but this team has no chance of winning a 7 games series against a NJ, Pitt, Was.... and obviously ottawa and atlanta has our number....

we need that piece to put us over the edge

DMBcrew36
01-14-2010, 10:53 AM
If they aren't afraid to do it, why haven't they EVER done it?

Because they have liked the team they have and don't see a glaring hole or need? Regier will do it if the deal is right, but he's not going to make a one-sided deal, just to get a guy. He isn't going to be 'taken' by some team just because he wants a player.

DMBcrew36
01-14-2010, 10:55 AM
We have a good team but this team has no chance of winning a 7 games series against a NJ, Pitt, Was.... and obviously ottawa and atlanta has our number....

we need that piece to put us over the edge

Kovie is the only player that will be available that is SO GOOD as to push a team 'over the edge.' And guess what? He'd cost so damn much to have for a mere 3 months that there's no way we do it. Regier isn't that dumb.

RockStar36
01-14-2010, 10:56 AM
I'd rather the Sabres NOT get a rental this Spring. I think we're a contender but I don't think we're ready to make a big leap like Chicago. Rentals cost too, too much.

I totally understand what you're saying. I would pray that if someone like Kovalchuk was ever in the discussion, he wouldn't be a rental.

Obviously I'm no expert, but I would think based on the expiring contracts this year + who they would have to give away to get Kovalchuk, they could easily give him the huge deal he wants and lock him up.

The Sabres would be so good with someone like him and someone like Miller between the pipes.

DMBcrew36
01-14-2010, 11:01 AM
I totally understand what you're saying. I would pray that if someone like Kovalchuk was ever in the discussion, he wouldn't be a rental.

Obviously I'm no expert, but I would think based on the expiring contracts this year + who they would have to give away to get Kovalchuk, they could easily give him the huge deal he wants and lock him up.

The Sabres would be so good with someone like him and someone like Miller between the pipes.

Can Kovie play in Ruff's system? Does he backcheck?

I think Kovie is the caliber player that you can overlook SOME of his defensive-lapses. The good outweighs the bad, no matter what. He may not fit your system, or play your system perfectly, but he will make up for it.

ddaryl
01-14-2010, 11:04 AM
I think we're a contender without a rental.

playtoff contender yes

Stanley Cup contender no

this team is missing a piece, and I think they are the right rental away from having a real shot at winning it all this year. :cas:

but hopefully they could extend any such rental player to form a dynasty

DMBcrew36
01-14-2010, 11:07 AM
playtoff contender yes

Stanley Cup contender no

this team is missing a piece, and I think they are the right rental away from having a real shot at winning it all this year. :cas:

The Sabres only need is scoring. It's rare to find a single player that can truly boost your team noticeably - guys like Hossa, Kovie, etc. The only player that is available that is even good enough to think he'd boost your team is Kovalchuk, and he will be so expensive that it is absolutely not worth it.

ddaryl
01-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Because they have liked the team they have and don't see a glaring hole or need? Regier will do it if the deal is right, but he's not going to make a one-sided deal, just to get a guy. He isn't going to be 'taken' by some team just because he wants a player.

I agree we don't want to be raped for a rental player.

but if they don't see the need for a player to put the over the top then maybe they shouldn't be in th eposition they are in, this team needs that player...

DMBcrew36
01-14-2010, 11:09 AM
but if they don't see the need for a player to put the over the top then maybe they shouldn't be in th eposition they are in, this team needs that player...

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here.

The Sabres would get raped for Kovie, and then Kovie would walk in 4 months to the Rangers or Flyers, who would be willing to pay whatever.

ddaryl
01-14-2010, 11:09 AM
The Sabres only need is scoring. It's rare to find a single player that can truly boost your team noticeably - guys like Hossa, Kovie, etc. The only player that is available that is even good enough to think he'd boost your team is Kovalchuk, and he will be so expensive that it is absolutely not worth it.

I do agree.... but a real creative mind should be able ot find a way to make it work or at least try

I want the cup anything less is just more lame ass Buffalo crap

ddaryl
01-14-2010, 11:12 AM

pretty simple

this team needs a player or 2 to put them over the top. If Reiger/Quinn don't see that need and feel the team is ok the way it is then they shouldn't be in the positions they hold IMO.

I can clearly feel and see that this team is missing a very important piece that would make then a real cup contender IMO... and yes it an offensive prescence. If not a guy like Kovalcheck then a bigger gritty forward that can work magic in the corners and along the boards. More toughness down low with an ability to make the touch pass

RockStar36
01-14-2010, 11:16 AM

The Sabres would get raped for Kovie, and then Kovie would walk in 4 months to the Rangers or Flyers, who would be willing to pay whatever.

I personally don't see how either of those two teams would clear enough cap space to accommodate Kovalchuk.

DMBcrew36
01-14-2010, 11:27 AM
I do agree.... but a real creative mind should be able ot find a way to make it work or at least try

I want the cup anything less is just more lame ass Buffalo crap

Well lets look back at what it took for the Penguins to get Hossa for 3 months.

They traded:

Colby Armstrong (former 1st round pick)
Erik Christensen (former 3rd round pick)
Angelo Esposito (top prospect),
1st round draft pick

To Pittsburgh, parting with Armstrong and Christensen isn't really a big deal because they had Malkin, Crosby, Stall, etc. Losing Esposito (who is disgustingly good) and a 1st round pick are what hurt them.

The Sabres would wind up having to give up something like Stafford, Kennedy, Luke Adam, and a 1st rounder to get Kovalchuk. All I have to say is... F**K THAT for a guy we keep for 3 months.

Luke Adam is going to be a damn good player (which many of you saw during World Junior), and our draft picks are vital - we draft well and our picks are the bread and butter of how Regier builds our teams.

chernobylwraiths
01-14-2010, 11:29 AM
We could trade Roy and Pomminville for Kovalchuk. Maybe throw in Hecht as well.

chernobylwraiths
01-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Well lets look back at what it took for the Penguins to get Hossa for 3 months.

They traded:

Colby Armstrong (former 1st round pick)
Erik Christensen,
Angelo Esposito (top prospect),
first-round draft pick

To Pittsburgh, parting with Armstrong and Christensen isn't really a big deal because they had Malkin, Crosby, Stall, etc. Losing Esposito (who is disgustingly good) and a 1st round pick are what hurt them.

The Sabres would wind up having to give up something like Stafford, Kennedy, Luke Adam, and a 1st rounder to get Kovalchuk. All I have to say is... F**K THAT for a guy we keep for 3 months.

They made it to the Stanley Cup finals probably because of that move. Then they won it all the next year without all those players. It didn't seem to hurt them.

I have never heard of Esposito (except for Phil or Tony).

DMBcrew36
01-14-2010, 11:36 AM
They made it to the Stanley Cup finals probably because of that move. Then they won it all the next year without all those players. It didn't seem to hurt them.

I have never heard of Esposito (except for Phil or Tony).

They made it to the finals with Malkin, Crosby, Fleury, etc. Yeah, Hossa had like 26pts in 20 games, but he was playing alongside Malkin and Crosby. I don't think they needed Hossa.

Rnd 1: Beat Sens 4 games to 0
Rnd 2: Beat Rangers 4 games to 1
Rnd 3: Beat Flyers 4 games to 1
Rnd 4: Lost to Detroit 4 games to 2

They would've made it that far without him.

And Angelo Esposito is ***** disgusting (no relation to Phil or Tony). If you watched World Juniors last year, you would've seen him. He will be in the NHL very soon.

SabreEleven
01-14-2010, 01:58 PM
When it comes winning the Cup, the Sabres have always been standing on the side lines, even in 99, 07, 08, when they could have pulled off a trade and jump in the pool. Let's try a major trade, even if we get screwed a little bit. I'd trade a little bit of future for a Stanley Cup win.

Let's win a Cup for once.

DMBcrew36
01-14-2010, 09:50 PM
When it comes winning the Cup, the Sabres have always been standing on the side lines, even in 99, 07, 08, when they could have pulled off a trade and jump in the pool. Let's try a major trade, even if we get screwed a little bit. I'd trade a little bit of future for a Stanley Cup win.

Let's win a Cup for once.

Uhh what would be the point of pulling off a trade in '07? Our team was stacked.

JD
01-15-2010, 02:56 AM
Ilya.

SabreEleven
01-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Uhh what would be the point of pulling off a trade in '07? Our team was stacked.

Stacked? Yes they had injury's on defense but where was the offense? They should have made a move at the trade deadline for more scoring. A stacked team would have at least made it to the finals.

DMBcrew36
01-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Stacked? Yes they had injury's on defense but where was the offense? They should have made a move at the trade deadline for more scoring. A stacked team would have at least made it to the finals.

No offense? In '06-07 they had the most goals in the league. And even stacked teams can get beat - especially to the team we always struggle against in Ottawa. Saying that they HAVE to get to the finals if their stacked is flawed logic.

chernobylwraiths
01-16-2010, 01:15 PM
A stacked team at least makes the playoffs.

DMBcrew36
01-16-2010, 10:39 PM
A stacked team at least makes the playoffs.

Yep, as they were and did in '05-06, '06-07.

Typ0
01-17-2010, 06:19 AM
at some point you have to trust these guys to make good decisions. They've built teams that came close before. They lost Drury and Brier and those guys are approaching the crapper now. Everyone was pissed at them last year and they said to be patient and look where that group is now. Plus, they've got deep playoff experience together some of them. I love what Quinn is saying here that if they felt the fit was right they wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. You've got to be excited about the Sabres for WNY maybe they can bring some real pride into town by hoisting a cup in HSBC arena. That even is almost beyond imagination to everyone don't say it isn't. It's hard to do but possible it could happen in our lifetime.

chernobylwraiths
01-17-2010, 07:29 AM
Yep, as they were and did in '05-06, '06-07.

Yep, I made a mistake thinking we were talking about the next year.