PDA

View Full Version : Interview: Brohm ready to compete for No. 1 job

patmoran2006
01-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Tyler Dunne sat down with Brian Brohm this week.. good read

Like everyone, Brian Brohm is playing the waiting game. He hears the rumors. An offensive coordinator here, a defensive guru there. He’s waiting and wondering. Any day, the Buffalo Bills will have a new head coach.

“I’m just anxious to see who it’s going to be,” Brohm said, “so we can get to work.”

Because then, Brohm’s strengths take over. Diving into a playbook. Learning the nuances of a scheme. Memorizing audibles. Knowing which on-the-line checks to make and when. Brohm is a self-diagnosed “football junkie.” Laughing, he admits that he rarely escapes the game. Green Bay’s Mike McCarthy once said Brohm picked up his offspring of the West Coast offense faster than anyone he’s ever had.

High praise, indeed. But it didn’t matter.

FULL STORY (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2010/01/interview-brohm-ready-to-compete-for-no-1-job/)

ddaryl
01-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Looking forward to seeing what the kid can do with a full year offseason of prep, and possibly some coaches that are actually good at preparing a young QB

THRILLHO
01-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Not to hate on Brohm, cause I want to give him his shot, but havent we had enough of the "smart" QBs?

hydro
01-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Not to hate on Brohm, cause I want to give him his shot, but havent we had enough of the "smart" QBs?

Name one good QB out there that isn't smart? That isn't the problem. As long as he isn't tentative and gun shy I am certainly alright with him being cerebral.

DraftBoy
01-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Good read, and great to hear about Brohm!

bigbub2352
01-14-2010, 12:10 PM
i got to think he has potential
he has to be given a full year in a system that he can get to know his players in, also a real scheme not the crap AVP ran
and oh yeah OLINE

BidsJr
01-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Name one good QB out there that isn't smart? That isn't the problem. As long as he isn't tentative and gun shy I am certainly alright with him being cerebral.

JP Losman

sillenb61
01-14-2010, 12:15 PM
If the bills hire frazier might as well kill his chances of developing now!

justasportsfan
01-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Brohm should pay for a sign out of his own pocket for Grimm to come here.

elltrain22
01-14-2010, 12:17 PM
excited to see how good this kid could be.

realdealryan
01-14-2010, 12:18 PM

I've had enough of bad QBs, whatever their strengths may be...

sillenb61
01-14-2010, 12:19 PM
If you want him to develop then you need to bring in someone like martz to develop him either as OC or heck even as HC at least he has won in this league before better then frazier!

Beebe's Kid
01-14-2010, 12:23 PM
If the bills hire frazier might as well kill his chances of developing now!

Please justify this comment.

This is ludicrous. The OC and QB coach would be responsible for grooming a QB, unless the HC happened to be an offensive guru, and pitched in.

The HC is very important, but equally important is the staff that he surrounds himself with. I am not a Frazier advocate, mainly because I question the staff he could assemble, but to say something like the hiring of Frazier kills Brohm's development is nuts.

Demon
01-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Awesome article. I read it on the buf.scout.com few days ago.

Via twitter, Tyler Dunne posted a few quotes which he did not use for the article. Two of the best ones i really like were these....

BROHM: “I like the town, love the fans. To get into Ralph Wilson for the first time was a great experience, just to be in that atmosphere.”

BROHM: "We have the ability to be an explosive offense with the right system in place.”

Beebe's Kid
01-14-2010, 12:27 PM

Smart isn't the issue. It was a set of noots for Edwards, who ended up a mental wreck, and with Fitzy, he just can't throw a football. Throwing a football is a very important quality in a QB.

sillenb61
01-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Please justify this comment.

This is ludicrous. The OC and QB coach would be responsible for grooming a QB, unless the HC happened to be an offensive guru, and pitched in.

The HC is very important, but equally important is the staff that he surrounds himself with. I am not a Frazier advocate, mainly because I question the staff he could assemble, but to say something like the hiring of Frazier kills Brohm's development is nuts.

because from some reports he will bring saunders with him who has not done anything since 2005 and was fired from redskins and removed from call playing then went to st. louis where he was for ine year before was fired and how joined balt. this year as offensive consultant and the running game is better this year for them but he doesnt call the plays, i do not think saunders would be a good fit.

Joe Fo Sho
01-14-2010, 01:17 PM

I know this is using the term "good QB" loosely, but Vince Young. I hate the guy and he's an idiot, but he wins ball games.

THRILLHO
01-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Smart isn't the issue. It was a set of noots for Edwards, who ended up a mental wreck, and with Fitzy, he just can't throw a football. Throwing a football is a very important quality in a QB.

I understand that, Fitz was from Harvard, and Trent was from Stanford, both considered to be "smart." But clearly lacking in true NFL skills such as throwing the ball more than 5 yards, etc. We need some brute instead of brains in here!

better days
01-14-2010, 02:46 PM
I understand that, Fitz was from Harvard, and Trent was from Stanford, both considered to be "smart." But clearly lacking in true NFL skills such as throwing the ball more than 5 yards, etc. We need some brute instead of brains in here!

In my opinion, Trents biggest problem is he lacks passion for the game. Fitz lacks physical skills. Brohm in limited action has shown he has the physical skills. So add in the passion & intelligence & Brohm could develop into a very good QB.

madness
01-14-2010, 02:57 PM
In my opinion, Trents biggest problem is he lacks passion for the game. Fitz lacks physical skills. Brohm in limited action has shown he has the physical skills. So add in the passion & intelligence & Brohm could develop into a very good QB.

As much as I supported Trent in the past, he bothered me the most when he said he wasn't much of a football fan.

RockStar36
01-14-2010, 03:00 PM
(Tyler Dunne is the Publisher of an excellent website called Buffalo Football Report (http://buf.scout.com/), part of the Scout.com network. You can read this article as well as numerous insightful Bills peices regularly by visiting Buffalo Football Report.)

:scratch:

Dr. Pepper
01-14-2010, 04:54 PM
so Brohm is super smart, but Fewell said he wasnt ready to play in our pop warner system??

homeslice5484
01-14-2010, 07:37 PM
That was an excellent interview...he gives us something to watch this year.

TigerJ
01-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Name one good QB out there that isn't smart? That isn't the problem. As long as he isn't tentative and gun shy I am certainly alright with him being cerebral.I have no problem with smart QBs, but there are some Wunderlic duds who have had great NFL careers. Brett Favre is one of them. Dan Marino was another.

TigerJ
01-14-2010, 10:39 PM
I like the comment made about Brohm that he likes to play in the cold. If he starts in Buffalo, he'll certainly have his opportunities.

trapezeus
01-14-2010, 10:44 PM
nice interview and a well written piece.

That being said, i hate that for years, we get these interviews about people who talk the talk, but can't walk the walk.

i want just once for one guy to come in and blow us away, like byrd but at a more key position. i want the guy who wins games on his own and lifts others to rise above in close games. we don't have a single guy like that on the roster.

jamze132
01-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Is Brohm considered a RFA that belongs to Buffalo? Or is he a UFA?

DraftBoy
01-15-2010, 07:36 AM

If his contract is up he's an RFA. I dont think his contract is up though, I could be wrong however.

Risin
01-15-2010, 09:07 AM

Pretty sure we signed him to a 2 year deal.

Thief
01-15-2010, 09:15 AM
" Green Bay’s Mike McCarthy once said Brohm picked up his offspring of the West Coast offense faster than anyone he’s ever had."

Yet the Bills never gave him the chance to learn ours prior to us throwing it all at him in one week? NTM, the Bills had the least complicated offense in the league.

I do have a question though? How does a coach come in, and day one start implementing an offense? Shouldn't he first assess the strengths of the roster?

madness
01-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Pretty sure we signed him to a 2 year deal.

Yep, it was reported a 2 year deal in which GB tried to match.