PDA

View Full Version : Headcoach

DesertFox24
01-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Does it really matter who the head coach is?

In all seriousness you can hire the best guy in the world but if you do not have good coaches around you it does not matter how good you are.

As a head coach, he will not be able to coach one aspect of the game, he has to coach all aspects of the game. He also will have to guys around him that he can trust (Bill Belichek press conference was perfect example of a good HC and OC and DC relationship).

That being said the biggest decision a head coach makes is who is coordinators are.

I have heard that Frazier will bring Al Saunders as our O coordinator and I honestly like that. As for the Defense I am not sure but someone from the vikes or eagles if I had to guess.

In conclusion I want the best coaching staff not the best HC, because all that is going do is much of the same.

Nighthawk
01-14-2010, 12:26 PM
It does when no other changes were made in the organization...

elltrain22
01-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Does it really matter who the head coach is?

In all seriousness you can hire the best guy in the world but if you do not have good coaches around you it does not matter how good you are.

As a head coach, he will not be able to coach one aspect of the game, he has to coach all aspects of the game. He also will have to guys around him that he can trust (Bill Belichek press conference was perfect example of a good HC and OC and DC relationship).

That being said the biggest decision a head coach makes is who is coordinators are.

I have heard that Frazier will bring Al Saunders as our O coordinator and I honestly like that. As for the Defense I am not sure but someone from the vikes or eagles if I had to guess.

In conclusion I want the best coaching staff not the best HC, because all that is going do is much of the same.

Are you kidding, it makes all the difference in the world. Ask and answer this question to yourself, and be honest with yourself. Hypothetically speaking, if Cowher & his staff drafted, coached, and put this 09-10 team together, would they have been 6-10. If you said it wouldn't have mattered you're lying to yourself. They wouldn't have drafted a project w/ their 1st pick, they wouldn't have traded Peters, wouldn't have let Dock & Walker walk, and surely would've done what it took to field a competitive team. Dick Jauron and any 2nd rate coach, players dont buy into, and don't follow or respect. Case in point, Marshawn Lynch who's dumb butt can't stay outta trouble. Kawika Mitchell tweeting his head off about in house stuff. This would not be tolerated by coaches who uphold players to their accountability.

Please, coaching is everything.

ddaryl
01-14-2010, 12:34 PM
huge difference. The HC get all the final say in gameplans etc... The HC is the key organizer who makes sure all the team is on the same page, and the HC is the one who sets the tone for training camps and practices.

plus there are probably many other good reasons on why the HC does matter

DesertFox24
01-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Buddy Nix is going to have final say in the drafts unless Cowher comes here, so cross off the draft picks argument.

You mention assistants as another argument. What I said is what if a guy we dont want (Sparano, Smith, Tomlin) guys that were assistants and not well known come in, but hire very good and eager assistants. That would be better than getting a coach with a resume with an average coaching staff. Just because a guy has a resume does not make him the best for the job. Hell look at Jimmy Johnson he did not do well in Miami with a hall of fame QB, and he had some of his super bowl winning coaches with him.

My point is this, before I call any HC hire we make good or bad I want to see the assistants. I will tell you one thing I was not happy with Jauron's assistants when they were named. If frazier comes in with Al Saunders though it will be the first legit OCoord we have had in quit some time. That being said we better not run the stupid cover 2, I want an attacking defense.

Also to be honest I really do not think the alignment matters (34 vs 43) as long as you attack, stop the run, and get pressure on the QB you will win games. Everyone cares about sacks but the fact that we led the league in picks means we were getting good pressure on the qb and I will take that every year over big sack totals.

DesertFox24
01-15-2010, 07:18 AM
I know the jets run a 34 but we could be just as aggressive with a 43, the eagles and giants have done it.

Point being is every good leader has good men around him, a great leader with poor men around him will fail, that is fact not fiction folks. Just ask Ford, GM, and all the banks they had very smart qualified people at the top but those guys had poor people around them that gave them bad information.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-15-2010, 07:22 AM
belicheck....
Dicky J

You make the call

DesertFox24
01-15-2010, 07:31 AM
belicheck....
Dicky J

You make the call

What is your point Belicheck actually had some decent teams in Cleveland. Dick Jauron had one good year because he got lucky.

Belicheck had great assistants around him, 4 guys have left to become head coaches, and he has had other assistants on his staff that have been excellent Dom Capers.

So thank you for making my point, I appreciate the help.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-15-2010, 07:38 AM
What is your point Belicheck actually had some decent teams in Cleveland. Dick Jauron had one good year because he got lucky.

Belicheck had great assistants around him, 4 guys have left to become head coaches, and he has had other assistants on his staff that have been excellent Dom Capers.

So thank you for making my point, I appreciate the help.

is it intrinsic in every poster that when someone does not agree with them that they be a dick in the reply?

Im just asking.

if half of you people spoke to others in real life the way you speak to people on this forum youd spend most of your life with a black eye

TacklingDummy
01-15-2010, 08:15 AM
This team needs a franchise QB more than it needs a former Super Bowl winning coach.

Talented players make or break the coach.

DesertFox24
01-15-2010, 10:27 AM
is it intrinsic in every poster that when someone does not agree with them that they be a dick in the reply?

Im just asking.

if half of you people spoke to others in real life the way you speak to people on this forum youd spend most of your life with a black eye

Lol, you are correct and I apologize.

However, I am not sure what you were trying to say.

DesertFox24
01-15-2010, 10:28 AM
This team needs a franchise QB more than it needs a former Super Bowl winning coach.

Talented players make or break the coach.

Agree players make plays, not the other way around.

However, good coaches will make players better and put players in situations to make plays.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Lol, you are correct and I apologize.

However, I am not sure what you were trying to say.

I would be referring to the overall body of work.

one lucky season in chicago is all DJ has to hang his hat on.

Belicheat has an impressive body of work.

Thank you for your apology. classy move :)

justasportsfan
01-15-2010, 10:41 AM
It does matter when the HC who has the final say holds his assistants back.

In Dicks case, it's safe to say he tld his assists. to call plays designed to control the ball instead of plays that are designed to score. He also decides which players are better suited for the play not to lose philosophy .

mikemac2001
01-15-2010, 11:56 AM
We should get bill walsh to be our next HC

have it like weekend at bernie's

instead be sunday's with walsh

DesertFox24
01-15-2010, 12:14 PM
I would be referring to the overall body of work.

one lucky season in chicago is all DJ has to hang his hat on.

Belicheat has an impressive body of work.

Thank you for your apology. classy move :)

I agree Bill Bilicheat is a better coach, but he also has or had a great group of assistants and Tom Brady. I also agree that Dick Jauron was a HORRIBLE hire when it was made, horrible record in Chicago, horrible in Detriot (its not like they did anything better after Mouch got the can), horrible as a D Coord in JVille.

Dick ran a soft training camp that almost rivals club marv from back in the glory days, but we had Jim, Thurman, Bruce, Andre, Talley, Bennett and those guys would not allow us to lose. Also Dick did not have the best assistant coaches around him and as a result we fans suffered.

I understand the Jauron and Frazier comparisons but I am not sure if that is a reason for us to not hire the guy. Heck Tomlin comes across the same way and he does not have a problem motivating his players.

BertSquirtgum
01-15-2010, 12:27 PM
somebody should take a dump on this thread.