PDA

View Full Version : What actually happens in a head coach interview?

THRILLHO
01-14-2010, 01:40 PM
So when we think of interview, we think of going in, talking to the boss, selling ourselves to the company. Is that how it happens in the NFL, or is it the team, selling its self to the candidate?
What questions are asked?
Is it strictly asking questions off a sheet of paper, or are there graphics and playbooks and pie charts involved?

Does anyone really know what goes on? I am just nosy I guess.

justasportsfan
01-14-2010, 01:41 PM
In our case, whoever doesn't make Ralphy fall asleep gets the job.

Pinkerton Security
01-14-2010, 01:47 PM
In Dick's case, it was BSing with Ralph and Levy about years of old...like really old.

DBrown77
01-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Whoever orders the cheapest meal at Dennys gets the gig!

Demon
01-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Btw, John Wowrow just said Ralph Wilson doesn't have a preference if it's offensive or defensive.....

@BloRumblings (http://twitter.com/BloRumblings) #Bills (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bills) owner Ralph Wilson stated he has no preference regarding off or def-minded coach. Is there a bigger source than Ralph?

Link- http://twitter.com/john_wawrow

Demon
01-14-2010, 01:51 PM
^^ my bad, i posted that in the wrong thread. Sorry BZ gods.

trapezeus
01-14-2010, 01:52 PM
i thought i read somewhere that its a wide variety of questions.

1. what are the philosophy of the coach on both sides of the ball
2. how does that work with the personnel they currently have vs. what they'd like to get through draft and free agency
3. how their leadership skills work with the average NFL player. How do they get the most out of people
4. get schedules on how TC will go.
5. names of the staff targeted.

i think they take that information and then look at what they want to do.

If the GM thinks, "this team is 4-3 and close to benig good with another solid draft." he doesn't want a 3-4 guy saying, "it's the system i like, i need time and players to convert."

so like a regular interview, if the prospect is answering based on what the bills are looking to do, that bodes well.

i think buffalo is asked more questions. they know the player budgets and player selection has been piss poor for 10 years and everyone involved is still on the team. So you need assurances as a first time HC that they aren't putting you in a position that this is your last time being an HC.

Ingtar33
01-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Its the same basic stuff that goes on in a regular interview.

They ask you things like how you deal with trouble players, what you do when confronted with adversity. How you've overcome that adversity. They ask about your past in coaching to get a feel for what you thought about your past coaching experiences. They ask about (in college at least) what you think about recruiting, and what type of difficulties or successes you've had.

I was asked about past players i coached, how i helped them develop. You're asked about what you know about the program. What you think about the current roster. How you'd improve it, what you think is missing, what your professional goals are. You're asked about your coaching philosophies, what systems you like, and how you'd implement them. You're also asked about assistant coaches, who you know in coaching, who you might want on your staff.

finally they'll ask you about compensation, let you throw a number out there and if they're interested in you, you negotiate from that point over the course of the following few weeks until you have a deal both of you are happy with.

It's just like a normal job interview.

justasportsfan
01-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Anyone here have sources to Greg Williams?

Jeff1220
01-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Its the same basic stuff that goes on in a regular interview.

They ask you things like how you deal with trouble players, what you do when confronted with adversity. How you've overcome that adversity. They ask about your past in coaching to get a feel for what you thought about your past coaching experiences. They ask about (in college at least) what you think about recruiting, and what type of difficulties or successes you've had.

I was asked about past players i coached, how i helped them develop. You're asked about what you know about the program. What you think about the current roster. How you'd improve it, what you think is missing, what your professional goals are. You're asked about your coaching philosophies, what systems you like, and how you'd implement them. You're also asked about assistant coaches, who you know in coaching, who you might want on your staff.

finally they'll ask you about compensation, let you throw a number out there and if they're interested in you, you negotiate from that point over the course of the following few weeks until you have a deal both of you are happy with.

It's just like a normal job interview.

Ing, wouldn't these guys have all the $ questions deferred to the agent?

Joe Fo Sho
01-14-2010, 02:13 PM
So when we think of interview, we think of going in, talking to the boss, selling ourselves to the company. Is that how it happens in the NFL, or is it the team, selling its self to the candidate?
What questions are asked?
Is it strictly asking questions off a sheet of paper, or are there graphics and playbooks and pie charts involved?

Does anyone really know what goes on? I am just nosy I guess.

I am only speaking from the 1 opportunity I had to interview for an NFL coaching job, but I can tell you one thing...

There is always punch and pie.

Patti120
01-14-2010, 02:15 PM
I think that Ralph comes at the guy wearing a slinglet and if that doesn't work I think he breaks them with a musket and bayonet charge.

Ingtar33
01-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Ing, wouldn't these guys have all the $ questions deferred to the agent?

I negotiated my own contract. it wasn't hard, i just asked a few colleagues for a copy of their contracts and made a note of what seemed to be the standard features and what features some contracts had i wanted; then i made a few unique demands of my own.

I wasn't really in a good position to "demand" anything.. they were making a significant investment to hire me in the first place. But i guess my initial requests were normal enough that we were able to fine tune it over the course of 3 meetings and get it done.

(i did have a lawyer look over the final draft for me. but that's it)

Novacane
01-14-2010, 08:29 PM
How do the Bills conduct an interview or how do most NFL teams conduct an interview? The Bills simply ask 1 question. How much will you do it for. The candidate answers then they say we'll get back to you. It's more like a bidding process. Lowest bid wins :ill:

JRyan154
01-14-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm guessing it's something like Ralph asking "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" If the coach interviewing says, "going back to being a offensive/defensive coordinator, where I belong", then they're hired.