PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons I: Russ Grimm

Ebenezer
01-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Let's start to review the possible Bills HC candidates. For this I am going to assume that Shottzy, Sr., Shottzy, Jr., Billick and Cowher are all off the list. Let's go through each candidate and tell why each of us either supports or is against this candidate.

I. Russ Grimm

BertSquirtgum
01-15-2010, 12:16 PM
i just like the name. lets hire him. i assume that's how OBD works.

Mitchell55
01-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Good- AZ, Seems tough, OL

Bad- Never a NFL HC, never a coordinator

psubills62
01-15-2010, 12:19 PM
I support Grimm. He's improved the offenses and OL's wherever he's been.

Having no experience at coordinator may not be a bad thing. After all, 7 of 16 "elite" head coaches (deemed by an NYU study) were never coordinators, including Marv Levy. He was also heavily in consideration for the Pittsburgh HC job, along with Whisenhunt. We've all seen what those two have done in Arizona to help that team.

Ebenezer
01-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Good- AZ, Seems tough, OL

Bad- Never a NFL HC, never a coordinator
I am not asking for a list of strengths and weaknesses, I think we all got that..

Tell me why you support or are against each candidate. Take a stand.

Mitchell55
01-15-2010, 12:21 PM
I am not asking for a list of strengths and weaknesses, I think we all got that..

Tell me why you support or are against each candidate. Take a stand.

You said pros and cons. If you said that about Trent id say

Pros

Accurate, occationally mobile, quick release

Cons

Scared, weak arm, Jelly for a head

Beebe's Kid
01-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Wow..this started off bad, and is deteriorating from there....

I would support Grimm, and the reason is I am of the impression that he is a blue collar kind of guy. His resume is impressive, in the fact that he has improved the situation on every team he has coached. He is also considered to more of a disciplinarian versus "player's" coach.

There is some talent on this team (read Lynch, Marshawn) that is struggling mightily due to lack of a a strong direction. I think that Grimm could provide that.

One bad bit of news that I saw this moring on Two Bills Drive, was that a poster with a connection to Grimm said that he was interested in the hassle of dealing with a power struggle and questioning the future of the team when Ralph passes. His is, apparently concerned enough to be considering turning down the interview.

Link to the post on TBD (http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=105827)

Don't Panic
01-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Pros - Been around success for a very looooong time. Knows what it takes to win. Would fix our O Line on day one (or try to), which is essential. Has an offensive pedigree, which is necessary.

Cons - No HC experience (or coordinator experience?). Who does he bring in to address the D?

The King
01-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Look at the 180 he's been part of in AZ....

RockStar36
01-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Pro - Was a member of a team that valued strong offensive line play, strong running game, and won multiple Super Bowls because of the fact.

Was a part of the staff that helped win Pittsburgh their first Super Bowl this past decade.

Went to Arizona with Wisenhunt, took a team that has never been any good, and immediately turned them into a team that almost won the Super Bowl.

Consistently surrounded by or a major part of a winning culture.

Blue collared guy who would appreciate Buffalo and coach to their strengths.

BillsWin
01-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Offensive background, good football past, winning follows him wherever he goes, learned under Cowher, learned under Gibbs (in his prime), knows how to build an offensive line, knows what it takes to win in this league, has four super bowl rings, so you know that he knows how to get there and win in the playoffs, favors the run but has learned under a pass happy offense in Arizona too.

Just a gut feeling really. I like the guy. I think he is a winner, and will continue to win wherever he ends up. I hope that is in Buffalo.

elltrain22
01-15-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm not going to pry into his Pros, but I'll chose to point out his cons, or mainly his con. That main con is I don't think he's interested in this job at all. I think, if he does interview, its only a formality, and has no intention of taking this job. I very much hope I'm wrong though

Thurmal
01-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Con -- Pittsburgh passed him up for a coaching spot for Tomlin, who was an unknown at the time