PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons II: Ron Rivera

Ebenezer
01-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Let's start to review the possible Bills HC candidates. For this I am going to assume that Shottzy, Sr., Shottzy, Jr., Billick and Cowher are all off the list. Let's go through each candidate and tell why each of us either supports or is against this candidate.

II. Ron Rivera

Prov401
01-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Would love this hire, assuming of course like you said, Cowher, Marty etc. were off the list. However, he is my top coordinator if I were choosing. He has learned under the late great Jim Johnson in Philadelphia, serving as their LB's coach, as well as under Andy Reid. He turned Chicago into the 2nd best defense in 2005, and in 2006 had them in the Superbowl ranking number 3 in points allowed.

People are mis-informed as to his 'firing' in Chicago. He was interviewed by Pittsburgh, Arizona, Dallas, and San Diego for a possible HC position. Chicago felt as though he didn't want to be there anymore, and they mutually parted ways.

Ted Cottrell lost control of the Chargers defense last year, and was fired almost halfway through the season, where it looked like the Chargers were not going to make the playoffs. Enter: Ron Rivera. They went on a run, and snuck into the playoffs, beating the Colts and smothering number 18 in the wild card game.

He's been in the playoffs almost, if not every year this decade, with 3 different teams. He gets it done wherever he goes. Don't let the Chargers' D's numbers fool you this year. They've had many lingering injuries to their secondary, and Merriman has been a ghost. However, I'd watch for them in the Superbowl.

Don't Panic
01-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Pros: He knows what it takes to build a good defense.

Cons: We do not have the personnel nearly in place to run a Rivera D and he would need an experienced OC in order to provide balance and address what is ailing this team.

Saratoga Slim
01-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Pros: He knows what it takes to build a good defense.

Cons: We do not have the personnel nearly in place to run a Rivera D and he would need an experienced OC in order to provide balance and address what is ailing this team.

Weren't his Chicago defenses pretty similar to ours? 4-3 and Cover 2?

The last buffalo fan
01-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Weren't his Chicago defenses pretty similar to ours? 4-3 and Cover 2?

Yes, and I sick and tired of this!

TigerJ
01-15-2010, 08:32 PM
If he ran a 4-3 Cover 2 in Chicago and he's running an aggressive 3-4 in San Diego, you have to give him credit for versatility. He also played the old Ryan 46 defense. I like the notion that he has the reputation for having a little fire.

Biggest negative is the same as every other candidate who's never been a head coach. He's an unknown quantity as a head coach.

BillsWin
01-15-2010, 08:43 PM
I don't really like Rivera, but in my opinion I would rather have him than Frazier.

Michael82
01-16-2010, 01:30 AM
Good post, TE2Hard. Rivera is right behind Grimm on my 2nd tier list. He's a very versatile DC and has coached some very good defenses. He's also well respected and has a connection with Buddy Nix.

G Wolly
01-16-2010, 01:52 AM
I like San Diego.

Not familiar with his work, but as I read up there, we don't have the tools that he has used to mold the defenses he has coached.

Prov401
01-16-2010, 02:58 AM
If he ran a 4-3 Cover 2 in Chicago and he's running an aggressive 3-4 in San Diego, you have to give him credit for versatility. He also played the old Ryan 46 defense. I like the notion that he has the reputation for having a little fire.

Biggest negative is the same as every other candidate who's never been a head coach. He's an unknown quantity as a head coach.

Your right, he has been apart of many different schemes on the defensive side of the ball. He changes up coverages, and usually does a great job at getting the best out of his LB's, (Trotter in PHI, Briggs in CHI), both of whom have never been better after Rivera left. His players are wonderful tacklers, and work hard for their coach. He commands a certain respect.

As to your negative being the fact that Rivera has never been a head coach before, well,...you have to start somewhere. Every single Superbowl winning coach got their first head coaching gig with no expierience at one point or another. And if you want to play the numbers game, well, then we all know that no coach has ever won a Superbowl with 2 different teams.

I, again, would love to see Rivera come here.