PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons IV: Leslie Frazier

Ebenezer
01-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Let's start to review the possible Bills HC candidates. For this I am going to assume that Shottzy, Sr., Shottzy, Jr., Billick and Cowher are all off the list. Let's go through each candidate and tell why each of us either supports or is against this candidate.

IV. Leslie Frazier

Don't Panic
01-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Pros: The D could transition very easily. Theoretically, they would be better than any of the T2s we've seen thus far.

Cons: Doesn't seem to be ready to be a HC in terms of his experience. Would need an experienced OC to come with him... if it is Al Saunders than that may move this to neutral.

more cowbell
01-15-2010, 03:51 PM
one of the worst moves this franchise will ever make. and thats saying a lot

patmoran2006
01-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Pro: Right now the only one who WANTS the job, and seems be "regarded" around the league.

Cons: Nearly everything else

T-Long
01-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Any advice Harbaugh would give the Broncos, who 12 days ago fired Mike Shanahan, as they take their turn replacing a strong coach?

"Hire Leslie Frazier," Harbaugh said in the locker room after his Ravens defeated the Tennessee Titans 13-10 in a second-round AFC playoff game. "That's my advice."

LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Harbaugh-to-Broncos-Hire-Leslie-Frazier?urn=nfl,133532)

T-Long
01-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Frazier certainly has the resume to be a serious head coaching candidate. He has won Super Bowls both as a player with the 1985 Chicago Bears and an assistant coach with the 2006 Indianapolis Colts. In three seasons with the Vikings, he has helped mould the veteran defence into one of the best in the league and continued their recent history as one of the stingiest against the run.

"Hopefully he lands one, but I'm not worried about it right now," All-Pro defensive tackle Kevin Williams said. "He's our defensive co-ordinator now and we're going to hog him right now while he can. Hopefully he gets that job he's looking for, as soon as we win the Super Bowl."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5iM3GDqvvbdHH6ShbEtXbK086Bf3w

patmoran2006
01-15-2010, 04:18 PM
There's little doubt he's the leading candidate now, and maybe the only one.

If Minnesota loses we'll sure find out real soon.

elltrain22
01-15-2010, 04:26 PM
There's little doubt he's the leading candidate now, and maybe the only one.

If Minnesota loses we'll sure find out real soon.

if Minnesota loses and we hire him, there's gonna be anarchy in Buffalo. People are gonna be PO'ed.

more cowbell
01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
I almost hope they make him the coach just to see how the front office tries to spin it as a good thing...

but then again I don't because i've seen that movie WAAAAAY to many times

TigerJ
01-15-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm not sure I know how to respond, Eb. From a fan's standpoint we are tired of the cadaver approach to head coaching, and Frazier has the reputation of being unemotional on the sideline, but a calm demeanor does't necessarily mean bad coaching. Fans want someone with head coaching experience, but coordinators have a history of lots of success stories when moving to the top spot. Buffalo just happened to have a series of duds. Fans are sick of the Tampa 2, but when it's run well it can be an effective defense. The criticism that it's tough to find personnel who can run it well might actually be more true of the 3-4, since the 3-4 is the in defense currently and the demand for good nose tackles and good 5 technique defensive ends in the 3-4 generally outstrips supply. It's been pointed out that Tony Dungy always had defenses that were superior to Frazier's when Dungy was a DC. True, but Dungy having pioneered the scheme generally had his pick of the players who were best adapted to it since he was running it when no one else was. Frazier has lacked the good safeties he's needed in Minnesota though he's had a terrific front seven. Fans point out the need for the offense to be turned around, and Frazier is a defensive coach. However, reports are that Frazier would bring in one of two very experienced OCs who have had a lot of success. Fans are tired of a training camp that is run more like Club Med. Frazier is known as a players coach, but since he's never been a head coach we don't really know that he'd run a training camp as soft as Jauron's "Player's coach" doesn't necessarily mean he's never physical in his approach.

I would say the positives are that Frazier is smart, well connected with potential high quality candidates for at least some assistant positions. He has integrity, and is forthright and articulate in his dealings with the press.

I have to say on an emotional level I would feel a little better about Ron Rivera, Jason Garrett and maybe one or two others who are still possibilities at least according to fan sentiment, but Frazier could turn out to be a good head coach.

BillsWin
01-15-2010, 08:47 PM
:pray: Minnesota wins and Arizona loses :pray:

Stewie
01-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Pro: He's alive

Con: He's not bill cowher

Result: He's not going to play qb, so what does it matter. we don't have a qb. we're doomed.

Syderick
01-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Pro: Good Defensive coordinator
Con: No NFL Head Coach experience

But overall he's an interesting candidate.

Ground Chuck
01-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Pro: Not just a cover 2 guy, knows Ryan schemes from Bear days and also worked for Jim Johnson.

Con: No experience running an offense.

Buddo
01-16-2010, 06:28 AM
'Unemotional' on the sidelines issomewhat over-hyped I think. What I find interesting, is the comment from Singletary (of all people - lol), that says something like 'there is an inner rage to Leslie'.
For all he may well come off as a 'players coach', if that 'inner rage' is on show on the practise field, then he will have discipline, and respect, from players.
To me, many of the 'players coach' definitions that seem to abound around here, make the assumption that it means 'easy'.
I think what has more meaning, is that a coach is unwilling to publicly criticise his players, whereas in meeting rooms etc. he could be as caustic as the best, but keeping criticism, 'in house'. I think players appreciate that approach, and if it is the way that Frazier operates, I don't think it's a bad thing.

Novacane
01-16-2010, 06:34 AM
:pray: Minnesota wins and Arizona loses :pray:

I hope they both lose. I want this to end one way or another.