• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Pros and Cons IV: Leslie Frazier

Let's start to review the possible Bills HC candidates. For this I am going to assume that Shottzy, Sr., Shottzy, Jr., Billick and Cowher are all off the list. Let's go through each candidate and tell why each of us either supports or is against this candidate.

IV. Leslie Frazier

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Re: Pros and Cons IV: Leslie Frazier

Pros: The D could transition very easily. Theoretically, they would be better than any of the T2s we've seen thus far.

Cons: Doesn't seem to be ready to be a HC in terms of his experience. Would need an experienced OC to come with him... if it is Al Saunders than that may move this to neutral.

Comment

• more cowbell
      • Apr 2006

one of the worst moves this franchise will ever make. and thats saying a lot
      The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Pro: Right now the only one who WANTS the job, and seems be "regarded" around the league.

Cons: Nearly everything else

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• T-Long
          Circling the Wagons since 1982.
          • Sep 2003

Any advice Harbaugh would give the Broncos, who 12 days ago fired Mike Shanahan, as they take their turn replacing a strong coach?

"Hire Leslie Frazier," Harbaugh said in the locker room after his Ravens defeated the Tennessee Titans 13-10 in a second-round AFC playoff game. "That's my advice."

LINK
          Last edited by T-Long; 01-15-2010, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• T-Long
            Circling the Wagons since 1982.
            • Sep 2003

Frazier certainly has the resume to be a serious head coaching candidate. He has won Super Bowls both as a player with the 1985 Chicago Bears and an assistant coach with the 2006 Indianapolis Colts. In three seasons with the Vikings, he has helped mould the veteran defence into one of the best in the league and continued their recent history as one of the stingiest against the run.

"Hopefully he lands one, but I'm not worried about it right now," All-Pro defensive tackle Kevin Williams said. "He's our defensive co-ordinator now and we're going to hog him right now while he can. Hopefully he gets that job he's looking for, as soon as we win the Super Bowl."

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

There's little doubt he's the leading candidate now, and maybe the only one.

If Minnesota loses we'll sure find out real soon.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• elltrain22
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                There's little doubt he's the leading candidate now, and maybe the only one.

If Minnesota loses we'll sure find out real soon.
                if Minnesota loses and we hire him, there's gonna be anarchy in Buffalo. People are gonna be PO'ed.
                If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• more cowbell
                  • Apr 2006

I almost hope they make him the coach just to see how the front office tries to spin it as a good thing...

but then again I don't because i've seen that movie WAAAAAY to many times
                  The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

I'm not sure I know how to respond, Eb. From a fan's standpoint we are tired of the cadaver approach to head coaching, and Frazier has the reputation of being unemotional on the sideline, but a calm demeanor does't necessarily mean bad coaching. Fans want someone with head coaching experience, but coordinators have a history of lots of success stories when moving to the top spot. Buffalo just happened to have a series of duds. Fans are sick of the Tampa 2, but when it's run well it can be an effective defense. The criticism that it's tough to find personnel who can run it well might actually be more true of the 3-4, since the 3-4 is the in defense currently and the demand for good nose tackles and good 5 technique defensive ends in the 3-4 generally outstrips supply. It's been pointed out that Tony Dungy always had defenses that were superior to Frazier's when Dungy was a DC. True, but Dungy having pioneered the scheme generally had his pick of the players who were best adapted to it since he was running it when no one else was. Frazier has lacked the good safeties he's needed in Minnesota though he's had a terrific front seven. Fans point out the need for the offense to be turned around, and Frazier is a defensive coach. However, reports are that Frazier would bring in one of two very experienced OCs who have had a lot of success. Fans are tired of a training camp that is run more like Club Med. Frazier is known as a players coach, but since he's never been a head coach we don't really know that he'd run a training camp as soft as Jauron's "Player's coach" doesn't necessarily mean he's never physical in his approach.

I would say the positives are that Frazier is smart, well connected with potential high quality candidates for at least some assistant positions. He has integrity, and is forthright and articulate in his dealings with the press.

I have to say on an emotional level I would feel a little better about Ron Rivera, Jason Garrett and maybe one or two others who are still possibilities at least according to fan sentiment, but Frazier could turn out to be a good head coach.
                    Last edited by TigerJ; 01-15-2010, 10:10 PM.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• BillsWin
                      man amongst boys
                      • Oct 2008

Minnesota wins and Arizona loses
                      I am The Batman.

Comment

• Stewie
                        Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                        • Aug 2002

Pro: He's alive

Con: He's not bill cowher

Result: He's not going to play qb, so what does it matter. we don't have a qb. we're doomed.
                        Originally posted by Topdog
                        Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                        Originally posted by mercyrule
                        I love Weiner.
                        Originally posted by mercyrule
                        also cheese

Comment

• Syderick
                          • Apr 2006

Pro: Good Defensive coordinator
                          Con: No NFL Head Coach experience

But overall he's an interesting candidate.
                          Last edited by Syderick; 01-15-2010, 10:36 PM.
                          3,000,000th post on BZ!

Comment

• Ground Chuck
                            • Jul 2009

Pro: Not just a cover 2 guy, knows Ryan schemes from Bear days and also worked for Jim Johnson.

Con: No experience running an offense.

Comment

• Buddo
                              • Mar 2007

'Unemotional' on the sidelines issomewhat over-hyped I think. What I find interesting, is the comment from Singletary (of all people - lol), that says something like 'there is an inner rage to Leslie'.
                              For all he may well come off as a 'players coach', if that 'inner rage' is on show on the practise field, then he will have discipline, and respect, from players.
                              To me, many of the 'players coach' definitions that seem to abound around here, make the assumption that it means 'easy'.
                              I think what has more meaning, is that a coach is unwilling to publicly criticise his players, whereas in meeting rooms etc. he could be as caustic as the best, but keeping criticism, 'in house'. I think players appreciate that approach, and if it is the way that Frazier operates, I don't think it's a bad thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X