PDA

View Full Version : The one question about Cowher nobody can/will answer

patmoran2006
01-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Just today alone, I spoke with two writers from the Buffalo News, two reporters who cover the NFL nationally, THREE former players and someone else I consider a "go to" guy, asking only a single question, and nobody could or would answer it.

"Why has Bill Cowher not publicly said thanks but no thanks to the Buffalo Bills job" ?

He'd have nothing to lose by stating he's not interested; its not like he'd lose leverage elsewhere.

And to boot, even our owner has admitted the sides have talked and Wilson even said "you'll have to ask him"

FlyingDutchman
01-15-2010, 04:04 PM
million dollar question brother

T-Long
01-15-2010, 04:05 PM
doesn't make sense...Gruden and Shanny and Brian S. all had no problems telling us no...why isn't he?

FlyingDutchman
01-15-2010, 04:05 PM
i mean 7 million dollar question

Beebe's Kid
01-15-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm sending wings.

BertSquirtgum
booooooo

Ron Burgundy
Q: Why hasn't Bill Cowher publicly stated that he does not want to be stung to death by killer bees?

A: Why the **** would Bill Cowher waste his time issuing public statements about things he clearly has no interest in doing?

HHURRICANE
01-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Because Cowher wants to coach and would need this job offer as leverage if another deal were to open that interested him.

Or maybe the Bills asked him not to give an answer "yes" or "no" until a certain date.

Either way, as I said from the beginning, Cowher is never, ever, coming here.

My old company could offer me twice what I'm making now and I would still say no. At some point it's about the quality and not the quantity.

Simon Cowell turned down 100 million dollars to return to American Idol.

Ralph's legacy is that he let the Bills fall to a point that only a new owner can turn it around.

Ron Burgundy
01-15-2010, 04:08 PM
doesn't make sense...Gruden and Shanny and Brian S. all had no problems telling us no...why isn't he?

No, they didn't. None of those people issued statements saying "I have no interest in coaching the Buffalo Bills," either. It's just that no one gives a damn because none of them are Bill Cowher.

Let it go, folks.

T-Long
01-15-2010, 04:09 PM

That really has no relevance. He turned it down because he is bringing his Britian show to the U.S.

patmoran2006
Because Cowher wants to coach and would need this job offer as leverage if another deal were to open that interested him.

Or maybe the Bills asked him not to give an answer "yes" or "no" until a certain date.

Either way, as I said from the beginning, Cowher is never, ever, coming here.

My old company could offer me twice what I'm making now and I would still say no. At some point it's about the quality and not the quantity.

Ralph's legacy is that he let the Bills fall to a point that only a new owner can turn it around.

The only part of your answer that had to do with the question is your first answer (though I certainly agree with your statements).

T-Long
No, they didn't. None of those people issued statements saying "I have no interest in coaching the Buffalo Bills," either. It's just that no one gives a damn because none of them are Bill Cowher.

Let it go, folks.

What are you talking about? Yes they did. All 3 of them publicly turned down the Bills.

patmoran2006
01-15-2010, 04:11 PM

Let it go, folks.

I've already "let it go" in terms of thinking he's coming here.

However. Since its been reported and even the owner was quoted as saying they've met, you'd think Cowher would issue SOMETHING to at least confirm something, even a generic "It's not the right opportunity at the right time" kind of one liner.

Coach Sal
01-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Just today alone, I spoke with two writers from the Buffalo News, two reporters who cover the NFL nationally, THREE former players and someone else I consider a "go to" guy, asking only a single question, and nobody could or would answer it.

"Why has Bill Cowher not publicly said thanks but no thanks to the Buffalo Bills job" ?

He'd have nothing to lose by stating he's not interested; its not like he'd lose leverage elsewhere.

And to boot, even our owner has admitted the sides have talked and Wilson even said "you'll have to ask him"

This is nothing different from what I've been asking/saying for the last three weeks. Here, on other boards, on my show, etc..

Ron Burgundy
What are you talking about? Yes they did. All 3 of them publicly turned down the Bills.

Well, Shanahan sort of did, by taking another job.

I must have missed the statements issued by the other two. A link would be awesome.

trapezeus
i guess cowher could lose leverage with carolina. the carolina owner isn't exactly on record for bringing cowher in. he said he'd promote internally if need be.

sure that's possibly just posturing, but if fox leaves and cowher says, "i want the job." the other guy could be like, "great $5MM a year. we want you, but we have other options. you on the other hand, have nothing else. buffalo and the raiders are you're only option and you turned them both down."

Demon
01-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Who cares? Jason Garrett is coming.... right?

Ron Burgundy
I've already "let it go" in terms of thinking he's coming here.

However. Since its been reported and even the owner was quoted as saying they've met, you'd think Cowher would issue SOMETHING to at least confirm something, even a generic "It's not the right opportunity at the right time" kind of one liner.

Nah, I don't think he'd issue anything at all.

I don't think he cares. I don't blame him, either...I wouldn't. Why would he do something like that?

Prov401
I agree.

I really do not believe that it's 100% certain that Cowher isn't coming here.

However, I'm about 95% sure he isn't. I'm really hoping that 5% is strong, and prevails.

patmoran2006
01-15-2010, 04:14 PM
This is nothing different from what I've been asking/saying for the last three weeks. Here, on other boards, on my show, etc..

I honestly talked to no less than 8 people today alone of varying degrees of knowledge on the Bills, and to a man every one of them either A) doesn't know or B) does know and won't say.

T-Long
01-15-2010, 04:14 PM

I must have missed the statements issued by the other two. A link would be awesome.

Shanny says No (http://ballhype.com/article/report-mike-shanahan-removes-himself-from-buffalo/)

Gruden says No (http://blogs.wivb.com/2009/11/20/gruden-says-no/)

B. Schotty says No (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/01/14/jets-oc-thanks-bills/)

trapezeus
01-15-2010, 04:18 PM
B Schotty turns down bills:
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/923168.html

shanahan turns down the bills
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/905494.html

mikemac2001
01-15-2010, 04:19 PM
why dont you call cowher and ask him pat

YardRat
01-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Cowher thought he had Carolina in his pocket.
The Panthers pulled a surprise by keeping Fox.
Almost immediately after, a 'source' indicates Cowher is 'impressed' with Buffalo...not a coincidence.
The Frazier "blew the Bills away" and "he's the guy" rumors start to fly.
Cowher's good buddy Bettis comes up with the Giants scenario shortly after that...again, not a coincidence.

I'll stick by my original assessment of the situation...the Cowher camp is posturing for leverage for the Panther's job, and that's the only job he's interested in. Period.

I will guarantee right now, if Richardson pulls the plug or Fox bails on his own, Cowher gets the job in four days, tops.

Ron Burgundy
01-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Gruden says No (http://blogs.wivb.com/2009/11/20/gruden-says-no/)

B. Schotty says No (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/01/14/jets-oc-thanks-bills/)

Alright, I see the public statement by Schottenheimer. Which, by the way, I am cool with, since I don't want him here anyways.

The thing with Gruden (and the thing with Shanahan) doesn't have a direct quote from either one of them anywhere in it. Again, Shanny took another job so that's just as clear, but still.

Thanks for the links, I've missed a pile of stuff due to the massive amount of bull**** clogging the boards.

Two things:

1) Why does Gruden get a pass for not publicly saying "no," but we absolutely MUST HAVE Cowher do the same thing?
2) Why is it important that either one of them issue a public statement, when anybody with half a brain can see that they're not interested in the job?

HHURRICANE
01-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Coughlin and Fox are staying. If by some chance one of them gets fired than that should be the Bills next hire.

T-Long
01-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Alright, I see the public statement by Schottenheimer. Which, by the way, I am cool with, since I don't want him here anyways.

The thing with Gruden (and the thing with Shanahan) doesn't have a direct quote from either one of them anywhere in it. Again, Shanny took another job so that's just as clear, but still.

Thanks for the links, I've missed a pile of stuff due to the massive amount of bull**** clogging the boards.

Two things:

1) Why does Gruden get a pass for not publicly saying "no," but we absolutely MUST HAVE Cowher do the same thing?
2) Why is it important that either one of them issue a public statement, when anybody with half a brain can see that they're not interested in the job?

Just because Gruden didn't go to a podium and say he is not interested doesn't mean him or his reps didn't address it to the media that he is not interested. He did that and that's why the reports came out on him turning the gig down. Schotty is with an NFL team, which allows him to do it at a press conference. Shanny and Gruden weren't.

Coach Sal
01-15-2010, 04:25 PM
I honestly talked to no less than 8 people today alone of varying degrees of knowledge on the Bills, and to a man every one of them either A) doesn't know or B) does know and won't say.

I do the same thing everyday, Pat.

I think T-Long does to some degree, as well.

No one's got an answer to this question from anyone since this thing began.

Nothing's changed. That's the point.

elltrain22
01-15-2010, 04:26 PM

still have any hope Sal??

mikemac2001
01-15-2010, 04:27 PM

Why don't you guys call cowher

X-Era
01-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Pat,

To me, this wont be answered until Minnesota loses in the playoffs or after the SB.

If Frazier becomes available and we still dont hire him before the SB is over, I think you will have your answer... we are waiting for Cohwer and Cowher is waiting till its all said and done, all jobs have been accounted for, and his only choice to coach is the Bills.

What I mean is that the Cowboys, STILL may can Wade... I could see Jerry doing it even if they get to the SB and lose... Hes that crazy.

Until Cowher knows the status of the HC's of all the teams, and until his gig with CBS is done for the year, he may just continue to not state anything publicly.

I can almost understand it.

The interesting part will be what the Bills do.

If its Frazier, they will be hiring him early the next week after the Vikes are done, if they still want Cowher, watch them wait.

And from the Bills standpoint, why rush? Its not like Frazier has any other options.

T-Long
01-15-2010, 04:29 PM

I talked to 4 people today and got absolutely nothing.

Ron Burgundy
01-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Just because Gruden didn't go to a podium and say he is not interested doesn't mean him or his reps didn't address it to the media that he is not interested. He did that and that's why the reports came out on him turning the gig down. Schotty is with an NFL team, which allows him to do it at a press conference. Shanny and Gruden weren't.

Okay, we're getting bogged down with side details here. Let's say every other man, woman, and child on earth issued a written essay explaining why they are not interested in the Bills' job.

Here's my take:

Question: What purpose does it serve for Bill Cowher (or his "reps") to state that he has no interest in Buffalo's coaching vacancy?

Answer: None whatsoever.

Or alternatively,
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=3119035&postcount=7

Coach Sal
01-15-2010, 04:31 PM
still have any hope Sal??

Yes.

That's why I don't post about it much.

I'm VERY guardedly optimistic.

I know what everyone says and what all the signs indicate. I know, most likely, it is not going to happen.

But after everything I found out when this thing started......until I REALLY KNOW..... I can't dismiss it. And the only way I'm going to really know is to hear Coach Cowher address his future (whether it has to do with the Bills or not) or the Bills address it or hire someone else.

T-Long
01-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Okay, we're getting bogged down with side details here. Let's say every other man, woman, and child on earth issued a written essay explaining why they are not interested in the Bills' job.

Here's my take:

Question: What purpose does it serve for Bill Cowher (or his "reps") to state that he has no interest in Buffalo's coaching vacancy?

Answer: None whatsoever.

Or alternatively,
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=3119035&postcount=7
maybe because he is tired of his name out there for the job or everyone and their brother asking him about it. That would give me every reason to come out publicly like the other three did. That's the only reason some Bills fans are holding out hope, it's because he NOR his reps haven't said no. Plain and simple.

Ron Burgundy
01-15-2010, 04:36 PM
maybe because he is tired of his name out there for the job or everyone and their brother asking him about it. That would give me every reason to come out publicly like the other three did. That's the only reason some Bills fans are holding out hope, it's because he NOR his reps haven't said no. Plain and simple.

That's it? Cowher or someone close to him should issue a public statement because you assume he's pissed off about being asked about a job over and over?

Well...alright.

Coach Sal
01-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Why don't you guys call cowher

I know it's easy to say this and ask this and sound cute about it.

But it's not that easy and it doesn't work like that.

Bill Cowher is not talking to ANYONE about his future right now, except probably his own wife.

Honestly. Did the people who doubted my original story on this (a full week before anyone else anywhere reported it) ever really think of how I may have known? Do they think it was just a lucky 1/million guess?

I know it's a cliche by now, and everyone and their mother is saying something like this......but I know people who know what's going on.......and what's not going on, if that's the case.

But NO ONE is talking.

Coach Sal
01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
That's it? Cowher or someone close to him should issue a public statement because you assume he's pissed off about being asked about a job over and over?

Well...alright.

Ron, it's not about Cowher making a public statement about the Bills job.

It's about him makiing any kind of statement at all regarding his future.

When you bring up Gruden, he didn't HAVE to say he wasn't interested in the Bills. He took care of that by saying he was staying at ESPN. That's all Cowher would have to do. But he hasn't. And yes, that silence speaks a lot louder than anything else right now considering who he is and the fact that everyone has indicated he wants to coach again soon.

T-Long
01-15-2010, 04:41 PM

Well...alright.
Look at the other 3 coaches! They DID it! So don't act like I am in the minority for thinking this way. It's funny that you disregard what the other 3 said, but don't acknowledge the fact that Cowher hasn't said NO, which is why people are still talking about it.

Do you see anyone still talking about Shanny or Gruden or B. Schottenheimer? NO..because they came out and addressed it. There has to be a reason why he hasn't done so as well. Is it for leverage? Probably. But he still hasn't done it. Until he does, people are still going to talk about it and hope for it. Nothing wrong with that.

Saratoga Slim
01-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Coughlin and Fox are staying. If by some chance one of them gets fired than that should be the Bills next hire.

I 100% agree with both of those statements.

trapezeus
01-15-2010, 04:47 PM

best way to stop geting people to ask is just to state what you feel is your option.

saying nothing rarely works.

like presidents trying to avoid some scandal. they think by not talking about it, it'll go away// but it just gets bigger.

Ron Burgundy
01-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Look at the other 3 coaches! They DID it! So don't act like I am in the minority for thinking this way. It's funny that you disregard what the other 3 said, but don't acknowledge the fact that Cowher hasn't said NO, which is why people are still talking about it.

Do you see anyone still talking about Shanny or Gruden or B. Schottenheimer? NO..because they came out and addressed it. There has to be a reason why he hasn't done so as well. Is it for leverage? Probably. But he still hasn't done it. Until he does, people are still going to talk about it and hope for it. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not disregarding it. I just don't understand the point of it. Who cares? The guy hasn't made any overtures whatsoever to be our coach. Several respected journalists (including Adam Schefter, who most folks feel is pretty reliable if not bulletproof) have stated that he has no interest in the job.

And there's nothing wrong with hope. I hope that I get a blowjob from Anne Hathaway.

I just know I better have an alternative lined up when that doesn't happen.

T-Long
01-15-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm not disregarding it. I just don't understand the point of it. Who cares? The guy hasn't made any overtures whatsoever to be our coach. Several respected journalists (including Adam Schefter, who most folks feel is pretty reliable if not bulletproof) have stated that he has no interest in the job.

And there's nothing wrong with hope. I hope that I get a blowjob from Anne Hathaway.

I just know I better have an alternative lined up when that doesn't happen.
I give up.

Ron Burgundy
01-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Ron, it's not about Cowher making a public statement about the Bills job.

It's about him makiing any kind of statement at all regarding his future.

When you bring up Gruden, he didn't HAVE to say he wasn't interested in the Bills. He took care of that by saying he was staying at ESPN. That's all Cowher would have to do. But he hasn't. And yes, that silence speaks a lot louder than anything else right now considering who he is and the fact that everyone has indicated he wants to coach again soon.

Cool. I'll rephrase.

Why would Bill Cowher feel it necessary to make a statement regarding his future?

Mike in Syracuse
01-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Is it possible that Russ and Ralph have a verbal agreement with Cowher that unless a specific coaching job opens up then he will be the next coach of the Bills.

I can easily see Cowher saying to Russ. "Look Russ, I wouldn't mind being your head coach but my family and I were hoping that my next job would be closer to home. If X job is not open by X date than I will take the job as your head coach".

I know it sounds insane but I'm struggling to figure out why Cowher wouldnt' shut down the speculation the same way he did with the Jets???

Coach Sal
01-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Cool. I'll rephrase.

Why would Bill Cowher feel it necessary to make a statement regarding his future?

He doesn't have to.

But he always has before, and any coach in that kind of situation basically has, as well.

Why? Because there are a lot of people with a lot invested in those kinds of things (him, his family, agents, teams, his current employers, etc.) and usually if someone that high profile in that type of situation knows exactly what is going on, AND that something isn't a secret, they try to at least take the pressure and the chaos off of and away from himself and those around him.

It's natural and professional.

So, by him not doing this, there are only two possible scenarios:
1. He knows his future by can't say due to some sort of obligation.
2. He doesn't know.

Your #3 scenario would be hat he just doesn't feel it "necessary" to talk about it, for whatever reason. That's possible, but highly unlikely.

Mike in Syracuse
01-15-2010, 05:11 PM
He doesn't have to.

But he always has before, and any coach in that kind of situation basically has, as well.

Why? Because there are a lot of people with a lot invested in those kinds of things (him, his family, agents, teams, his current employers, etc.) and usually if someone that high profile in that type of situation knows exactly what is going on, AND that something isn't a secret, they try to at least take the pressure and the chaos off of and away from himself and those around him.

2. He doesn't know.

Your #3 scenario would be hat he just doesn't feel it "necessary" to talk about it, for whatever reason. That's possible, but highly unlikely.

The problem with scenario #3 is that it goes against prior behavior. He had absolutely no problem telling the Jets "no thanks" last year.

patmoran2006
01-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Its not league requirement or anything like that; but considering he's done it when turning down other teams' interest, it would be nice to hear.

Ron Burgundy
01-15-2010, 05:22 PM
He doesn't have to.

2. He doesn't know.

I disagree with this.

I don't think that every coach has basically made a statement about their lack of interest in a job.

I don't believe that "chaos" is swirling around Bill Cowher. He has a job, he has his family, and he could pretty much have any coaching job that opens up. Where's the pressure? Why is this such a bad thing?

I think that my scenario, that he doesn't feel that it's necessary or worthwhile to release such a statement, is not only possible but extremely likely.

And no one has given a single valid reason why he should, unless y'all really think that he's in this total whirlwind of pressure about his job. Which I don't believe that he is at all, and I haven't seen one single thing to make me think otherwise.

Ron Burgundy
01-15-2010, 05:25 PM
it would be nice to hear.

Now this I do believe.

I think that Bills fans just want assurance straight from the horse's mouth that Cowher is not coming here.

But Cowher doesn't owe that to Bills fans or anyone else. And to expect it from him is pretty silly, IMO.

patmoran2006
01-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Now this I do believe.

I think that Bills fans just want assurance straight from the horse's mouth that Cowher is not coming here.

But Cowher doesn't owe that to Bills fans or anyone else. And to expect it from him is pretty silly, IMO.

I expect it because he's done it with the previous two teams that tried to land him as coach (NYJ, Clev)

Is he obligated, no?

And while I have become realistic to know his sudden arrival here isn't magically imminent, if nothing else it makes me suspicious that his silence could be angling towards something else; which is being speculated already.

Novacane
01-15-2010, 06:03 PM
I know it's easy to say this and ask this and sound cute about it.

But it's not that easy and it doesn't work like that.

Bill Cowher is not talking to ANYONE about his future right now, except probably his own wife.

Honestly. Did the people who doubted my original story on this (a full week before anyone else anywhere reported it) ever really think of how I may have known? Do they think it was just a lucky 1/million guess?

I know it's a cliche by now, and everyone and their mother is saying something like this......but I know people who know what's going on.......and what's not going on, if that's the case.

But NO ONE is talking.

Coach, are your sources who gave you the original info not talking or are they telling you they have not heard anything new?

Yasgur's Farm
01-15-2010, 06:17 PM
He doesn't have to.

2. He doesn't know.

Your #3 scenario would be hat he just doesn't feel it "necessary" to talk about it, for whatever reason. That's possible, but highly unlikely.:posrep: Perfectly stated so that even the most simple mind can understand. Anybody who continues to have issue with this logic is either ignorant or has another agenda.

DRutka
01-15-2010, 06:34 PM
And from the Bills standpoint, why rush? Its not like Frazier has any other options.

The rush is not and never has been about if Frazier will look somewhere else.

The rush is the fact that most real good assistants are or no longer will be available. The rush is in preparation for the draft and free agency. We have been without a real coach for 9 weeks. That is 9 weeks behind everyone else preparing for next season.

I own a business that is seasonal. I enjoy 4 months off every winter. But I would also be crazy not to start thinking about the next season before the current season is over. No matter what these teams say ("we are taking it one game at a time" or "we are focusing on the playoffs right now") the truth is they are always looking to and preparing for the next season and the future. If they are not, that is just poor business and again, we are 9 weeks behind everyone else at this point.

YardRat
01-15-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm not ignorant and I don't have an agenda, but I have to disagree.

Do you really think Cowher would play something like this so close to the vest that the people around him are 'sweating under pressure' in any manner?

Cowher's not stupid. Whatever his motivation is, he knows exactly what he's doing, why he's doing it, and what his gameplan is. His family (especially his wife) knows...His agents know...Chances are high that somebody at CBS knows also. Do you really think Mrs. Chin is tossing and turning all night long because she doesn't have a clue what's going on? She's struggling to deal with the 'chaos'? C'mon...

There is no pressure in Cowher's camp...the pressure is on the Bills, and obviously on many Bills fans. They (Cowher and Co) know exactly what they're doing...We don't.

That's the game. Cowher would be borderline ******ed if he played it any other way and definitively eliminated any leverage or bargaining chip that he has up his sleeve, and he doesn't owe anybody anything until the game has gone through all of the motions and a final decision has been made.

Being 'played' (like Bills Nation is) sucks, and it's always better to be the player, but somebody has to play yin to the yang and unfortunately for most that's the hand that we're dealt right now.

Kelly The Dog
01-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Because he simply doesn't know. It's a good job but there are several question marks. There may or may not be other openings. His family says they will surely go if he wants the job but he's not convinced they truly want to. He's not certain that the money will be available for the assistants he wants to hire and the players he wants to target. Other teams have told him that something may be happening and they would love to have him but cannot commit.

It could be any of them, it likely is a combination of them, if not all of them.

Typ0
01-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Can I try another spin on it one that does involve professionalism. Cowher right now is part of the national media. He is a guy of character. He's coached in the league and he's been to RWS. For weeks the national media, bloggist, media wannabees, arm chair message board idiots etc. have been pontificating all these people aren't coming here because of the snow, fat bottomed girls, chicken wings, lame bar scenes, pot holes, inability to get the peace bridge built, canadian ballet, low pay out casino's...etc.

He is the highest profile guy able to utter any word on any coaching job anywhere. There is nothing he can say that won't be twisted into a mass disrespect for Western New York and the beautiful passionate football people there other than he'll take the job. For completely other reasons he doesn't want to take the job so he says nothing out of respect for all the people I previously spoke of...you know who i'm talking about.

He doesn't have to.

2. He doesn't know.

Stewie
01-15-2010, 09:25 PM

I don't understand why he wouldn't lose leverage.

He has nothing to gain by saying anything about any job until he takes his next job.

Dr. Lecter
01-15-2010, 10:01 PM

There are a million links to Brian S turning down the interview.

None for Gruden though.

Ground Chuck
01-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Cowher doesn't want to say no because other teams might think that he doesn't want to coach at all again.

Plus the Bills may up the ante and make him an offer he can't refuse.

Michael82
01-16-2010, 01:00 AM
It's not just Cowher that has been silent, it's the Bills. They gotta know how much this **** has blown out of proportion, with the billboards, the plane tracking and all that. Yet they haven't come out and done anything to squash these rumors. Even Chris Brown has been silent on these issues. If they gave up and were told No by him...It would be in their best interest to leak it out, just to squash these rumors and calm down the fanbase.

I believe that maybe the reason why it's been so quiet is because Kelly, Nix and others inside OBD know that we need a guy like Cowher to come here and bring respectibility back to Buffalo and they are trying to convince Ralph to give Cowher what he wants. I think that they are still negotiating.

BillsWin
01-16-2010, 01:08 AM
Cowher to Buffalo sounds like a match made in football heaven to me... :idunno:

Novacane
01-16-2010, 06:40 AM
It's not just Cowher that has been silent, it's the Bills. They gotta know how much this **** has blown out of proportion, with the billboards, the plane tracking and all that. Yet they haven't come out and done anything to squash these rumors. Even Chris Brown has been silent on these issues. If they gave up and were told No by him...It would be in their best interest to leak it out, just to squash these rumors and calm down the fanbase.

I believe that maybe the reason why it's been so quiet is because Kelly, Nix and others inside OBD know that we need a guy like Cowher to come here and bring respectibility back to Buffalo and they are trying to convince Ralph to give Cowher what he wants. I think that they are still negotiating.

I don't think they are still negotiating. I think Cowher told them I need final say over players and a commitment to pay players. If you can do that call me. They won't do it so hence the silence.

Novacane
01-16-2010, 06:41 AM

I am also starting to believe it's more than just Ralph. I get the feeling Brandon is unwilling to give up power. I know Ralph has final say but Russ seems to be his boy.

Yasgur's Farm
01-16-2010, 07:37 AM
I don't think they are still negotiating. I think Cowher told them I need final say over players and a commitment to pay players. If you can do that call me. They won't do it so hence the silence.This is exactly why many of us still have hope.

1) Ralph, by his own words, knows he needs to hire a coach of Cowher's magnitude. He knows full well that it will be a 40,000 season ticket swing (30,000 w/o Cowher, 70,000 w/)... And let's not forget about box sales.

2) All other top tier coaches have turned us down.

3) We don't seem to be interested in the 2nd tier coaches (Billick, Martz)... 50,000 season tickets.

4) All the "hot coordinators" are turning their backs on the opportunity... 40,000 season tickets.

All this adds up to an eye opening perception of the depths this organization has achieved over the last decade... almost irreparable... ALMOST!! Except the hiring of someone like Bill Cowher... and what that represents in the form of attitude change and a new beginning at OBD.

It's got to be all-in for Ralph. I think he's rapidly coming to that conclusion... Any concessions necessary to make this big splash need to be made.

BILL HAS NOT SAID "NO" YET!

Michael82
01-16-2010, 07:56 AM
I am also starting to believe it's more than just Ralph. I get the feeling Brandon is unwilling to give up power. I know Ralph has final say but Russ seems to be his boy.
I agree with that. And if that's the case, it makes me hate the Brandon promotion even more. If Brandon was smart, he would be doing everything possible to make this into a winning team. Bringing in a guy like Cowher would help him with that goal. I think Kelly and Nix are trying to convince Brandon to sign on for giving Cowher more power and money to buy players. But so far Brandon isn't blinking. :ill:

Michael82
01-16-2010, 07:57 AM
This is exactly why many of us still have hope.

1) Ralph, by his own words, knows he needs to hire a coach of Cowher's magnitude. He knows full well that it will be a 40,000 season ticket swing (30,000 w/o Cowher, 70,000 w/)... And let's not forget about box sales.

3) We don't seem to be interested in the 2nd tier coaches (Billick, Martz)... 50,000 season tickets.

4) All the "hot coordinators" are turning their backs on the opportunity... 40,000 season tickets.

All this adds up to an eye opening perception of the depths this organization has achieved over the last decade... almost irreparable... ALMOST!! Except the hiring of someone like Bill Cowher... and what that represents in the form of attitude change and a new beginning at OBD.

It's got to be all-in for Ralph. I think he's rapidly coming to that conclusion... Any concessions necessary to make this big splash need to be made.

Exactly! Great post! :bf1:

shelby
01-16-2010, 08:17 AM
this whole Cowher thing makes me dizzy.

i hate to say it, but my gut says we will end up with Frazier or Garrett.

baseballdad
01-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Ok probably nothing but here is a flight from Teterboro to BUF today (leaving in about 15 mins. I think CBS has a late game tonight so maybe...nah probably not but since no one is saying anything you never know.

Flight Finder Results
Ident Status Departure Time Arrival Time Operator Aircraft
N525DP Scheduled Sat 10:05AM EST Sat 11:05AM EST MEANS TO GO LLC Cessna Citation CJ1

baseballdad
01-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Ok probably nothing but here is a flight from Teterboro to BUF today (leaving in about 15 mins. I think CBS has a late game tonight so maybe...nah probably not but since no one is saying anything you never know.

Flight Finder Results
Ident Status Departure Time Arrival Time Operator Aircraft
N525DP Scheduled Sat 10:05AM EST Sat 11:05AM EST MEANS TO GO LLC Cessna Citation CJ1

Ok so that flight landed at 10:45...maybe there is a black limo headed to OBD as I type this?

A little negotiate...a little lunch...hand shake...back to NYC for the show...what do you think? Should I go back and start drinking again? :drool2: :drool2: :drool2:

jlgarsh
01-16-2010, 10:13 AM
We can only hope...I turn 25 today, and that would have to be my best birthday gift in years!

ddaryl
01-16-2010, 10:18 AM
this whole Cowher thing makes me dizzy.

i hate to say it, but my gut says we will end up with Frazier or Garrett.

Garett won't come to Buffalo.

He'll stay in Dallas and wait for his opportuity to be the HC of Dallas.

Garett would never give up the possible opportunity in Dallas. Even if Wade sticks around for a few more years my money says he waits it out.

Who in their right mind would pass up a big budget, awesome stadium, and a franchise with plently of attraction for Free Agents to come to Buffalo where you get none of that at all, and the addition of instability, chaos, and non football men at the top of the management tree.

BuffaloBlakely14
01-16-2010, 10:28 AM
This is exactly why many of us still have hope.

One of the best posts I have seen on this board

jamze132
01-16-2010, 11:17 AM
My view...

I think Cowher and OBD have some sort of arangement PENDING resolution on the Fox/Carolina gig. If the it will be another 2 years before Bill can get to Carolina, he might just take the Bills job. But if he only needs to do another season in the studio then he gets the Carolina gig, he'll do just that.

ChristopherWalken
01-16-2010, 11:24 AM
I think its pretty clear. Bill Cowher had already openly stated that he would not consider another position out of respect of his current employer.

He is still employed through the playoffs and therefore will not be commenting and/or making even a consideration for another coaching job.

Perhaps this is a bonus thing with CBS? Perhaps he is contracted not to? Maybe it's juts a moral and ethical thing for him?

I believe he has already answered us and the media, and we are not respecting his request. Doesn't mean he isn't listening.

Coach Sal
01-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Coach, are your sources who gave you the original info not talking or are they telling you they have not heard anything new?

Not talking. I haven't been able to get a hold of people I normally can and haven't had as many returned phone calls, texts, or emails as I normally do.

The communication I have had has basically been different variations of, "I don't know."

YardRat
01-16-2010, 11:52 AM

If that were the case, Nix wouldn't have been elevated so quickly (IMO).

Coach Sal
01-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Can I try another spin on it one that does involve professionalism. Cowher right now is part of the national media. He is a guy of character. He's coached in the league and he's been to RWS. For weeks the national media, bloggist, media wannabees, arm chair message board idiots etc. have been pontificating all these people aren't coming here because of the snow, fat bottomed girls, chicken wings, lame bar scenes, pot holes, inability to get the peace bridge built, canadian ballet, low pay out casino's...etc.

He is the highest profile guy able to utter any word on any coaching job anywhere. There is nothing he can say that won't be twisted into a mass disrespect for Western New York and the beautiful passionate football people there other than he'll take the job. For completely other reasons he doesn't want to take the job so he says nothing out of respect for all the people I previously spoke of...you know who i'm talking about.

I think this is very plausible and something I've thought about.

It is certainly possible that he said no and the Bills politely asked him not to make that public as to avoid the embarrassment.

But the reason I doubt that is that hasn't been the case with anyone else before. Shanny made it public. And people have declined interviews publicly.

But, yeah. It's not out of the realm of possibilities at all.

Coach Sal
01-16-2010, 11:57 AM
We can only hope...I turn 25 today, and that would have to be my best birthday gift in years!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Coach Sal
01-16-2010, 11:59 AM
I think its pretty clear. Bill Cowher had already openly stated that he would not consider another position out of respect of his current employer.

He is still employed through the playoffs and therefore will not be commenting and/or making even a consideration for another coaching job.

Did he say this?

I'm not sure he did.

I think he said he wouldn't talk about an NFL coaching job unless that team had an opening, out of respect for its current coach.

I don't recall him stating anything in regards to his current employer (CBS).

MikeInRoch
01-16-2010, 12:08 PM
I think this is very plausible and something I've thought about.

It is certainly possible that he said no and the Bills politely asked him not to make that public as to avoid the embarrassment.

But the reason I doubt that is that hasn't been the case with anyone else before. Shanny made it public. And people have declined interviews publicly.

But, yeah. It's not out of the realm of possibilities at all.

It does make a lot of sense - the only thing I'd wonder about then is why Ralph would say "ask him" if that's exactly what the Bills did not want.

cwkbills
01-16-2010, 12:46 PM
The only thing that has kept my Cowher hope alive ( I'm at about 2% he comes) is the fact that from a public relations standpoint the Bills have set themselves up to fail if they hire anyone but a "big name coach". From their standpoint it would be better to squash the rumors and not set up fans for disappointment ie. season ticket holders and box holders. We have heard nothing and realistically for their benefit, to sell us on a less experienced coach they should leak something that will stop the rumors and prepare us for more mediocrity.

jlgarsh
01-16-2010, 04:32 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Thank you! Maybe tonight on CBS they'll shed some light on the situation (though I highly doubt it!!!)