PDA

View Full Version : So im moving out of the area...

more cowbell
01-15-2010, 05:41 PM
I've been a die-hard, Bills fan my whole life. I was born into it and used to be PROUD to talk about being a Buffalo Bills Fan. The past decade wasn't easy of course and I still tried to make excuses and reasons why the Bills werent fufiling expectations. As for the past 3 years, I have nothing positive to say about this organization, same for many of the people on this board.

Now I know I'm going to get some typical responses like "don't let the door hit ya on the way out" and "youre not a true fan if you give up"

But seriously, help me out here...WHY should I still support this team in my new town? Why not like the Chargers? I know Buffalo gets a bad rap and indeed it is a great town I would NEVER talk bad about the people of WNY or the city itself. But the Bills...god this is depressing..... :ill:

Dr. Pepper
01-15-2010, 05:48 PM
are you moving to San Diego???

go ahead and root for the Chargers.....

until they play the Bills.

more cowbell
01-15-2010, 05:50 PM
are you moving to San Diego???

go ahead and root for the Chargers.....

until they play the Bills.

im going to...but i was thinking about making the full-time switch

THRILLHO
01-15-2010, 05:51 PM
If you dont feel the need or the want to support the team, then you should not. No one is asking you to. And there is no reason that you should. It is a very popular thing to do right now I am sure, stop supporting the team when this get this bad. But we will be here now, if you stop supporting, and when you come back to us. And we'll be ready to accept you back into the fold :D

cpearl
01-15-2010, 05:56 PM
If you have to ask this question you shouldn't be a fan. Or, more importantly, you aren't a true fan. I won't make fun of you, but if you want to be a fairweather fan, root for another team.

Note: I've been living out of the area for over 8 years and watch almost every game (thank god for Directv Sunday Ticket).

ILOVEMIBILLS
01-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Love San Diego. Great city. Nice people. Coronado is a great place as well. I'm a Bills fan first and then a Chargers fan.

tatersalad
01-15-2010, 06:05 PM
im going to...but i was thinking about making the full-time switch

Real Fans Don't switch it's the hand were dealt

Dr. Pepper
01-15-2010, 06:06 PM
If you have to ask this question you shouldn't be a fan. Or, more importantly, you aren't a true fan. I won't make fun of you, but if you want to be a fairweather fan, root for another team.

Note: I've been living out of the area for over 8 years and watch almost every game (thank god for Directv Sunday Ticket).

totally disagree with this. this decade has been torture, and i wouldnt blame any fan for waivering. that said, ill support the Bills until they move.

Novacane
01-15-2010, 06:12 PM
I've been a die-hard, Bills fan my whole life......

If that is truely the case you won't be able to stop being a Bills fan. Believe me, I wish I could but it becomes part of who you are. I'm a Bills fan, period. No matter how much I hate the organization at times I'll always be there watching and hoping for the best on gameday.

THATHURMANATOR
01-15-2010, 06:18 PM
I've been a die-hard, Bills fan my whole life. I was born into it and used to be PROUD to talk about being a Buffalo Bills Fan. The past decade wasn't easy of course and I still tried to make excuses and reasons why the Bills werent fufiling expectations. As for the past 3 years, I have nothing positive to say about this organization, same for many of the people on this board.

Now I know I'm going to get some typical responses like "don't let the door hit ya on the way out" and "youre not a true fan if you give up"

But seriously, help me out here...WHY should I still support this team in my new town? Why not like the Chargers? I know Buffalo gets a bad rap and indeed it is a great town I would NEVER talk bad about the people of WNY or the city itself. But the Bills...god this is depressing..... :ill:
I would never question my fanhood ever

Billz_fan
01-15-2010, 06:18 PM
If you can make the switch go for it. I spent 12 years in the Tampa Bay area. I was all gung ho to embrace the local sports community and become a bucs fan. I didn't even last a season. I drove by some bars that has the ticket and some that had Bills Logo's in the windows and stuff and there I was :laughter:

Next thing that happened was I switched to Direct tv and got the ticket myself. The rest is history. My big switch lasted about 2-3 weeks, lol

I did end up following the Rays though, oh well.

Oh yeah, I been a Bills fan for 30+ years and a football fan for at least 44 years. Is it just me or does anyone else hate the expression "true fan" and "real fan" ? Everytime someone says one of those my eyes automatically roll. Im not going to go in depth into it but I would never say either to someone.

wmoz11
01-15-2010, 06:23 PM
I just don't understand how you can flip a switch and consciously try to like another team. I can't see forcing myself to like someone else.

The farthest I could see going is just not paying attention to the Bills until the season started, but personally, I could never even do that.

I've never lived in NY state and I grew up about 3.5 hours from Buffalo in PA. I recently moved to Pittsburgh and it made me hate the Steelers more.

mikemac2001
01-15-2010, 06:23 PM
If you can make the switch go for it. I spent 12 years in the Tampa Bay area. I was all gung ho to embrace the local sports community and become a bucs fan. I didn't even last a season. I drove by some bars that has the ticket and some that had Bills Logo's in the windows and stuff and there I was :laughter:

Next thing that happened was I switched to Direct tv and got the ticket myself. The rest is history. My big switch lasted about 2-3 weeks, lol

I did end up following the Rays though, oh well.

Oh yeah, I been a Bills fan for 30+ years and a football fan for at least 44 years. Is it just me or does anyone else hate the expression "true fan" and "real fan" ? Everytime someone says one of those my eyes automatically roll. Im not going to go in depth into it but I would never say either to someone.

They shouldnt even be called a fan

billistic
01-15-2010, 06:27 PM
I would NEVER talk bad about the people of WNY or the city itself. But the Bills...god this is depressing..... :ill:

Is the owner a Buffalonian? How many of those at OBD are native Buffalonians? How many of the coaches or players on the Bills team are Buffalonians?

The one and only thing Buffalo about this team are the fans.

Don't let the accident of your place of birth ruin your love for the game...

more cowbell
01-15-2010, 06:28 PM
I just don't understand how you can flip a switch and consciously try to like another team. I can't see forcing myself to like someone else.

The farthest I could see going is just not paying attention to the Bills until the season started, but personally, I could never even do that.

I've never lived in NY state and I grew up about 3.5 hours from Buffalo in PA. I recently moved to Pittsburgh and it made me hate the Steelers more.

I lived in pittsburgh area for a year and it made me hate the steelers more than any team in the nfl. but thats just because their fans are clueless homers

YoungEz
01-15-2010, 06:31 PM
When you actually think about it the Bills are just a team, not even a person you know personally. I am sure all of you had relationships before and when they end you move on whether its hard or not. So shouldn't moving on from being a bills fan be easier? It is just a bad relationship, us fans have been treated worse than a battered spouse.

Note: I am and still will be a Bills fan

BertSquirtgum
01-15-2010, 06:33 PM
If that is truely the case you won't be able to stop being a Bills fan. Believe me, I wish I could but it becomes part of who you are. I'm a Bills fan, period. No matter how much I hate the organization at times I'll always be there watching and hoping for the best on gameday.

this post says it all

HAMMER
01-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Cowbell, I have been in San Diego for fifteen years and will always be a Bills fan first and foremost. However I do root for the Chargers unless they are playing the Bills. I don't think there is anything wrong with having a second team. I love the NFL and certainly can use something else to cheer for as the Bills are pure agony to watch. Make sure you come join our local chapter of the Bills Backers, we are less than a hundred yards from the beach. Fun group, good days we have about 80 people in the bar. Tuesday night we are taking a bus up to Anaheim for the sabres/Ducks game. See attached link. Stand by your Bills, hope to see you next fall. If you have any questions about San Diego send me an IM.
http://www.sdbbc.org/

NIUBILLSFAN
01-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Trying to stop being a Bills fan will be like trying to change your sexual preference. Your post is pretty queer so I guess you bat from the other side of the plate. Stick with what you know.

Beebe's Kid
01-15-2010, 07:06 PM
A&E could make a movie about us...

If you can walk away, why wouldn't you? I can't, so I don't, I'll keep taking the beating, but when (not if) we accidentally turn this thing around, it will feel that much better!!

It is kind of funny, I am teaching my son to love the Bills...I hope Children Services doesn't show up for this!!!

NOT THE DUDE...
01-15-2010, 07:11 PM
dont let the door hit u on the way out!!!!!!!!!!

Novacane
01-15-2010, 07:12 PM
A&E could make a movie about us...

If you can walk away, why wouldn't you? I can't, so I don't, I'll keep taking the beating, but when (not if) we accidentally turn this thing around, it will feel that much better!!

It is kind of funny, I am teaching my son to love the Bills...I hope Children Services doesn't show up for this!!!

:lmao: So true. That's the only way we will turn it around. When/if Ralph stumbles into another Polian.

DrGraves
01-15-2010, 07:23 PM
we don't want half assed fans anyways...

Billz_fan
01-15-2010, 07:24 PM
:lmao: So true. That's the only way we will turn it around. When/if Ralph stumbles into another Polian.

So instead of billboards and chicken wings etc we spend our money getting the right GM hired. He will have to go in there and say all the stuff Ralph wants to here, Ticket sales, good cafeteria food, cash to cap, letting our own free agents walk, staying millions under the cap. etc.

Then when he gets in there he actually works on the football team and turns things around. By the time Ralph realizes this guy is obviously improving the football team and fires him we will have have a few good years of winning :laughter:

WeAreArthurMoates
01-15-2010, 07:33 PM

I'll grab you tissue after I stop playing my tiny violin.

more cowbell
01-15-2010, 07:39 PM
I'll grab you tissue after I stop playing my tiny violin.

no it's ok keep playing it you're quite good

RoanokeVABillsFan
01-15-2010, 07:45 PM
I grew up in Darien. Lived in Rochester for 15 years working at Kodak. Then I moved to Roanoke, VA. I could have become a Redskins or Panthers fan, but after supporting a team for 36 years locally, it kind of becomes a part of your life. You move away, but you can read all the local news on the Internet now and you interact on the forums.

You talk to your family, who are still local Bills fans, and it gives you that connection back to the area that you're proud of coming from. Many people here think that there isn't anybody that is still a Bills fan, but that makes me more stubborn to remain one. I have met people from all over that still support the team they always liked. Gives us great ammunition to bust on each other (I'm surrounded by Redskins, Steelers and Raiders fans). We all have fun. Support the team you want (I work with someone who is a Rams fan but has season tickets to the Jets games because he lives in NJ). Just don't take it seriously and have fun with it!!!

SABURZFAN
01-15-2010, 07:59 PM

this has nothing to do with Omon banging your ex-girlfriend, does it? i grew up watching the Bills as a kid. i was always a Bills fan when i went into the military and always a Bills fan when i lived in Vegas. i guess it's easier to be a Bills fan when they sucked before the Super Bowl years. a decade of 7-9's and 6-10's are nothing compared to the 1-13 and the 2-14's i endured as a kid.

more cowbell
01-15-2010, 08:04 PM
this has nothing to do with Omon banging your ex-girlfriend, does it? i grew up watching the Bills as a kid. i was always a Bills fan when i went into the military and always a Bills fan when i lived in Vegas. i guess it's easier to be a Bills fan when they sucked before the Super Bowl years. a decade of 7-9's and 6-10's are nothing compared to the 1-13 and the 2-14's i endured as a kid.

yep xavier omon is the lone reason i am considering it ...it has nothing to do with a completely embarassing front office! haha just kidding...

tampabay25690
01-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Once a BILLS fan always a BILLS fan..................
You will luv them more when you leave TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Miyagi
01-16-2010, 02:08 AM
I don't see why we have to make a formal announcement to officially switch over any fandom. Just root for any team you want. Don't have to be all or nothing.

I'm a Bills fan first, but I like the Bears a bit, and sort of like to see the Colts win. I even have a Packer hat. What's wrong with that??

Mr. Miyagi
01-16-2010, 02:09 AM
Once a BILLS fan always a BILLS fan..................
You will luv them more when you leave TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now that is true. :up:

Ingtar33
01-16-2010, 03:19 AM

I haven't lived in buffalo in 2 decades. i've coached for college teams and worked in the front office for an nfl team. I am still a buffalo bills fan. I still bleed red white and blue for this team. You can find bars where bills fans gather in your new city. I've found them in every place i've lived. you can also find bars where nfl fans gather and watch every game in the league on bigscreens.

or, you can buy Sunday ticket or watch the bills online.

There is no excuse to not still be a bills fan just because you don't live in buffalo. When Sunday rolls around and people see me with a bills hat on i laugh and say "yeah they suck but i'm a fan win or lose"

If you can't do that then you have no business calling yourself a bills fan.

Night Train
01-16-2010, 05:33 AM
Having been stationed in San Diego while serving, a question.

How the hell can you folks afford to live there ?

Jan Reimers
01-16-2010, 07:57 AM
I don't think you ever "choose" the team you root for, it chooses you. I grew up in WNY, but have lived and worked in the Albany area, as well as 5 other states. I never even considered a team other than the Bills, although I've lived among Jets, Giants, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Baltimore, Washington and Carolina fans.

But if you move to San Diego and the Chargers really grab you, go for it.

ddaryl
01-16-2010, 08:07 AM
I moved out to Washington north of Seattle and if I'm a Bill sfan only

If this team can't win or continues to embarsass then I choose to stop watching football all together.

I've tried to follow the Seahwaks but there is no emotional attachment to that team or any other for that matter and I know I will never be capable of liking another team outside of Buffalo... So for me its the Bills or absolulty nothing, and nothing never looked so good

El Guapo
01-16-2010, 08:20 AM
I live in Alabama, but when the Titans/Oilers moved to Tennessee, I lived in Memphis. The first year of the move, they played in the Liberty Bowl in Memphis before moving to Nashville and their new stadium. I was a Bills fan, but I had never had a "home town team." I tried like hell to become a Titans fan. I didn't ditch the Bills, but I figured my passion would eventually move on to the Titans. That first season, the Bills came to town to play "my" Titans/Oilers. It was that day I realized I was and always will be a Bills fan. I went to every game that first season, but I couldn't capture the magic of being at the Ralph.

Then, a couple of years later, there was a small thing called the Music City Bull***** Miracle that made me hate the Titans more than I hate the Dolphins.

Go Bills.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-16-2010, 09:16 AM
my wife keeps telling me to switch to another team but once you are emotionally locked on a team it is impossible to let go or ever fill the void with antother.

how pathetic do I sound?

Ickybaluky
01-16-2010, 09:43 AM

If the Chargers go downhill and the Bills turn things around, that means you were the problem and are to blame for the last 10 years.

If fact, if the Chargers lose to the Jets this week it means you have already infected them.

Just sayin'.

imbondz
01-16-2010, 09:44 AM
my self esteem rises and falls with the Bills. so i've been in a 15 year funk.

my 2nd team is the Rams, so at least I got to celebrate a SuperBowl win with a team that I love, but now I route for 2 of the worst organizations in sports. fun for me.

Billz_fan
01-16-2010, 09:48 AM
If the Chargers go downhill and the Bills turn things around, that means you were the problem and are to blame for the last 10 years.

If fact, if the Chargers lose to the Jets this week it means you have already infected them.

Just sayin'.

I think your onto something there :up:

SABURZFAN
01-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Having been stationed in San Diego while serving, a question.

How the hell can you folks afford to live there ?

not every job there is a minimum wage job like it is in Buffalo.

Ickybaluky
01-16-2010, 09:55 AM
I think your onto something there :up:

Maybe if you guys kicked him out things would turn around. Maybe that is the sticking point with Cowher.

shelby
01-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Good Lord....yes, the Bills suck, but you can't turn fandom off.

ddaryl
01-16-2010, 10:24 AM
my wife keeps telling me to switch to another team but once you are emotionally locked on a team it is impossible to let go or ever fill the void with antother.

how pathetic do I sound?

you sound like a real Bils fan to me...

Like I said above, it's either the Bills or no football at all... and beleive me when I say I am really ready to embrace watching considerably less football and eventually none at all because this franchise is just too pathetic to waste that much time and energy.

I will simply reduce myself to being a pure fair weather fan. I will come back once they start winning consistently and convincingly... but until then not buying a single piece of Bills paraphenalia, and there is a good chance I won't even renew the Sunday ticket this year.

I really do not see this franchise improving until Ralph gives up control either by choice or by death