PDA

View Full Version : So Bills are excluded from the playoffs for a record 10 years & Brandon is promoted?

Cleve
01-16-2010, 09:05 AM
The Bills are tied with the Lions for the longest period a team has ever been excluded from the playoffs. And Brandon, the guy at the helm of this meltdown gets a promotion?

Does this create a huge "WTF?" moment for anyone else besides me? Record-setting incompetency is rewarded at One Bills Drive it seems. Going 10 years without a playoff appearance is especially disgraceful given that this is the era of parity, salary caps, et al.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-16-2010, 09:07 AM
yer preachin to the choir bro :)

shelby
01-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Boggles the mind, doesn't it? i wish i could suck at my job and get a promotion.

Nighthawk
01-16-2010, 09:18 AM
The more this goes on, the more I hate Ralph and that is saying something!

Cleve
01-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Poor decisions like this one (promoting Brandon) send a terrible message, IMO, to the league and the fans. Is it any wonder Buffalo isn't an attractive venue for top-quality coaches and players?

It's also why I have almost no faith that the Bills can turn things around as long as Ralph Wilson Jr remains in charge and continues to make horrible and frankly, bizarre, decisions like this.

Billz_fan
01-16-2010, 09:38 AM
So Bills are excluded from the playoffs for a record 10 years & Brandon is promoted?

Theres your billboard right there !!

Can change it to

"Bills miss the playoffs a record 10 years in a row & Russ Brandon is promoted ? Come on Man !! "

Novacane
01-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Poor decisions like this one (promoting Brandon) send a terrible message, IMO, to the league and the fans. Is it any wonder Buffalo isn't an attractive venue for top-quality coaches and players?

top quality coaches? We can't even get nobody's to interview!

jamze132
01-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Brandon was promoted because he sold out almost every game for 10 years even though the Bills never sniffed the playoffs.

Oldbillsfan
01-16-2010, 10:08 AM
He earned the promotion filling the seats with a crappy team year after year.

YardRat
01-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Brandon's done his job...he deserves the promotion.

If you want to point fingers, you might want to throw some at Butler, Donahoe and Levy.

ChristopherWalken
01-16-2010, 11:30 AM
There's an old saying in the Army: "**** up Move up"

casdhf
01-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Seriously. TO was a genus move. He's done nothing but market and sell this turd team.

Griff
01-16-2010, 11:44 AM
he was promoted to a PR spot

SABURZFAN
01-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Does this create a huge "WTF?" moment for anyone else besides me?

not at all. when you put 67000+ asses in a seat for a poor product, you're doing a helluva job.

DynaPaul
01-16-2010, 12:23 PM
He could probably get 67,000 people to watch me take a dump on pay-per-view.

ddaryl
01-16-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm glad Brandon was promoted.. it will just ensure the Bills continue to fail on and off the field.

Can't wait to here all the reasons why no top FA's are going to sign with us, i can't wait to hear how whoever we hire as coach was our top choice after Cowher I can not wait to witness another sub .500 season in 2010.

I really am embracing failure.. it's so much easier then hoping or even trying to do things to remain hopeful... I see the light and I thank Billszone for helping me get there

trapezeus
01-16-2010, 01:23 PM
again, he's not a marketing guru. he's selling football in buffalo with an owner who refuses to confirm that the team will stay.

the team would have the same "success" with no one doing the "marketing". Fear is not a marketing campaign.

as for brandon's promotion...this is corporate america. you just give new titles to people and ask that they stay at the same position doing the same thing. you just hope it shuts them up for 3-5 more years and hold the status quo.

Cleve
01-17-2010, 11:32 AM

No - not the way to look at it. An organization or a company is a team, and a whole. One aspect of the business is fairly successful, but the failures in the other areas (in this case, the poor team itself) endanger the whole company and its future.

Wilson should have kept the carrot on the stick with Brandon, and linked Brandon's personal success to the success of the organization as a whole. But he didn't, and it's not really a Six Sigma approach to business management.

Now Brandon has a big raise, and is content. There will be little pressure from his desk to improve the on field product. Wilson should have said "Russ, you're doing a good job on marketing -but - the team is failing on the field. Help me to get it back on track, and make the fans happy, and you will definitely benefit from it, personally".

Syderick
01-17-2010, 11:52 AM
He could probably get 67,000 people to watch me take a dump on pay-per-view.
:lolabove:

YardRat
01-17-2010, 01:23 PM
No - not the way to look at it. An organization or a company is a team, and a whole. One aspect of the business is fairly successful, but the failures in the other areas (in this case, the poor team itself) endanger the whole company and its future.

Wilson should have kept the carrot on the stick with Brandon, and linked Brandon's personal success to the success of the organization as a whole. But he didn't, and it's not really a Six Sigma approach to business management.

Now Brandon has a big raise, and is content. There will be little pressure from his desk to improve the on field product. Wilson should have said "Russ, you're doing a good job on marketing -but - the team is failing on the field. Help me to get it back on track, and make the fans happy, and you will definitely benefit from it, personally".

We'll just have to agree to disagree. If an individual is doing their job well, they should be rewarded and not teased with a carrot on a stick because of other's lack of performance.

The 'all for one, and one for all' rah-rah stuff is nice if you're performing the company cheer before your shift starts at WalMart, but it's piss-poor management practice in the real world, especially the sports world. Should the front office 'dangle the carrot' when it comes to re-signing their top players, and tell them they'll get a raise when the entire team begins to play better? That would be pretty ******ed, and I would think not.

YardRat
01-17-2010, 01:33 PM
The Bills are tied with the Lions for the longest period a team has ever been excluded from the playoffs.

This is very, very wrong, BTW...

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=186357

TigerJ
01-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Brandon was promoted because he sold out almost every game for 10 years even though the Bills never sniffed the playoffs.And it should be noted that Brandon will not be making football decisions. His responsibilities are related to business and promotion, and he's good at both.

Cleve
01-18-2010, 06:42 AM
And it should be noted that Brandon will not be making football decisions. His responsibilities are related to business and promotion, and he's good at both.

Many large companies do NOT dole out raises and promotions when one or more divisions or branches of that company are failing or unsuccessful. Because the company is a team, and promoting one is viewed as divisive and harmful to morale.

Additionally, IF Brandon's title had been "Marketing Manager" then some of what I read above might have credence. But his title was CEO and General Manager.

He was the guy in charge, and his company's product is failing miserably on field. How is he deserving of a promotion when such a major component of his business, the most public and visible actually, is spiraling downwards?

Night Train
01-18-2010, 06:46 AM
Brandon = Smithers from the Simpsons

" I love you sir.."

Liverpoolkev
01-18-2010, 02:11 PM

If you want to point fingers, you might want to throw some at Butler, Donahoe and Levy. :please: If Brandon would have stayed in marketing .....then you could have said that.....but when he tried to run the team after Levy admitted he was nothing more than a figure head.....So Brandon ,Littman, Overdorfer & Ralph is solely the reason this team FO is a joke ..So stop trying to protect Russ...:dead:

HHURRICANE
01-18-2010, 02:15 PM

If you want to point fingers, you might want to throw some at Butler, Donahoe and Levy.

Alex, I'l take "owners that hired these losers" for $500.

YardRat
01-18-2010, 02:15 PM
:please: If Brandon would have stayed in marketing .....then you could have said that.....but when he tried to run the team after Levy admitted he was nothing more than a figure head.....So Brandon ,Littman, Overdorfer & Ralph is solely the reason this team FO is a joke ..So stop trying to protect Russ...:dead:

You might want to look at the personnel acquisitions post-Marv.

Not bad overall, IMO, for a guy filling a role that he was never really groomed for to begin with.

YardRat
01-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Many large companies do NOT dole out raises and promotions when one or more divisions or branches of that company are failing or unsuccessful. Because the company is a team, and promoting one is viewed as divisive and harmful to morale.

Additionally, IF Brandon's title had been "Marketing Manager" then some of what I read above might have credence. But his title was CEO and General Manager.

He was the guy in charge, and his company's product is failing miserably on field. How is he deserving of a promotion when such a major component of his business, the most public and visible actually, is spiraling downwards?

Yeah...Like financial institutions and auto manufacturers.