PDA

View Full Version : Harbaugh offered job

T-Long
01-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Just said it on NFL Today...this is starting to become a joke.

Slim
WOW.

Bravo82
LMAO :rofl:

Slim
Where did you hear this?

patmoran2006
01-16-2010, 06:44 PM
He said TWO sources said he turned the job down.

Wow, and he's publicly stated he wants a NFL job.

We suck

Slim
01-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Did he ever interview?

Slim
01-16-2010, 06:45 PM

We suck

I'm speechless.

McBFLO
Wait, so we offered him the job and he said no? WTF! I figured he was out, but man, we ARE pretty pathetic aren't we?

BILLSROCK1212
NO WAY!?!?!? I'd be okay with that I guess, but if he turned us down UGHHH. That explains the confusion us Bills fans have been having.

Cntrygal
Where did you hear this?

On "NFL Today" just a couple minutes ago.

Slim
01-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Lol, i wasn't that thrilled with Harbaugh, but now the he turned us down i want him :ill:

SeatownBillsFan21
01-16-2010, 06:47 PM
No suprise here

Cntrygal
01-16-2010, 06:48 PM
LOL

Why? Because he showed some sense of self preservation?

Demon
Just name Frazier as coach now..... wow this is a true joke

patmoran2006
And they refuse to even mention Cowher.

COmletely embarassing. There's nothing left to say

T-Long
01-16-2010, 06:49 PM
I always knew that we were never looked at as a top organization in the NFL, but this seriously is a wake up call. I can't believe the amount of people that turned down the job offer...I seriously feel like we are the Raiders. It's gotten THAT bad.

patmoran2006
Nx will claim that Frazier, who's clearly getting the job since he's the only one that's even interested in it, was his top choice all along.

Demon
Didn't Belichick say that Casserly doesn't know anything? Maybe this is one of those times.... ?

Mr. Pink
01-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Maybe we can hire Tom Cable when Al Davis gets around to firing him!

Nighthawk
Anybody who doesn't think the hiring of Nix and the same old **** from One Bills Drive didn't effect their search for a HC are on crack! The Nix hiring made it 100% more difficult to show a candidate that Ralph was really serious about change. Nix is killing this team...of course, Ralph is the main problem, but Nix being the GM is hurting us badly!

BillsWin
:lolpoint: The Buffalo Bills

:idunno:

elltrain22
01-16-2010, 06:51 PM
and the season ticket holders continue to drop like flies.....

Bravo82
01-16-2010, 06:52 PM
does this mean we aren't sending Cowher chicken wings anymore? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Ingtar33
01-16-2010, 06:53 PM
LOL

Why? Because he showed some sense of self preservation?

looks like the job is a coach killer.

Griz78
Also said that Dungy if he became Seahawks President wanted Leslie Frazier as teh Seahawks coach.

Bravo82
and the season ticket holders continue to drop like flies.....

I dropped mine last off-season. This team needs to earn my money.

McBFLO
Anybody who doesn't think the hiring of Nix and the same old **** from One Bills Drive didn't effect their search for a HC are on crack! The Nix hiring made it 100% more difficult to show a candidate that Ralph was really serious about change. Nix is killing this team...of course, Ralph is the main problem, but Nix being the GM is hurting us badly!
I disagree. I think it's way more about the 91 year old owner in a small market like Buffalo. Will this team even be in Buffalo 2 years from now? I certainly hope so, but I bet that's the main factor in this coaching search. That, and his past and how he's dealt with previous coaches and personnel people (Wade and Polian being the prime examples) Nix is too highly respected around the league to be the deterring factor here.

Nighthawk
01-16-2010, 06:54 PM
I dropped mine last off-season. This team needs to earn my money.

Well, I don't think they're doing that right now!

patmoran2006
Didn't Belichick say that Casserly doesn't know anything? Maybe this is one of those times.... ?

he made a bold statement, and cited multiple sources.. I know the Bflo News knows the Bills were hot for Harbaugh too.

I completely beleve him.

more cowbell
Also said that Dungy if he became Seahawks President wanted Leslie Frazier as teh Seahawks coach.

yeah makes sense so he could be his puppet much like sporano in miami.

frazier on his own here in buffalo, god this guy has NO idea what he is getting himself into if he takes the job....NO idea

Nublar7
Just name Frazier as coach now..... wow this is a true jokeHow do you know Frazier even wants the job?

Nighthawk
01-16-2010, 06:55 PM
I disagree. I think it's way more about the 91 year old owner in a small market like Buffalo. Will this team even be in Buffalo 2 years from now? I certainly hope so, but I bet that's the main factor in this coaching search. That, and his past and how he's dealt with previous coaches and personnel people (Wade and Polian being the prime examples) Nix is too highly respected around the league to be the deterring factor here.

No, I think you are way off. I'm finding it hard to believe that he is so "respected" when he can't even get his good friend's son to interview for the job, let alone turn it down if the job was offered!

McBFLO
01-16-2010, 06:55 PM
yeah makes sense so he could be his puppet much like sporano in miami.

frazier on his own here in buffalo, god this guy has NO idea what he is getting himself into if he takes the job....NO idea
Dungy's endorsement of Frazier actually does make me feel a little better about him.

Bufftp
01-16-2010, 06:56 PM
If asked I will serve. Cheap too.

Bmax
01-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Guys stop whinning about this .....Be patient see what happens....This city needs to get a back bone and forget about what people think about us or our team...

Frazier will be the coach.. Just like in Cincy Lewis took the job... that nobody wanted.....Why because those that don't have choices have to take what they can get to prove themselves...

Here to the new coach having a huge chip on his shoulder to prove to the world that he was worthy and that we can be winners again...

Go Bills....

Bmax....

McBFLO
01-16-2010, 06:57 PM
No, I think you are way off. I'm finding it hard to believe that he is so "respected" when he can't even get his good friend's son to interview for the job, let alone turn it down if the job was offered!
I agree that not even interviewing is pretty bad. But if I'm Brian S. I dont take this job either. He's a young coordinator and he is bound to get several more HC job offers in much better organizations than the Bills. One bad HC stint can really kill someone's momentum in their search for that job (i.e. Mularkey, Gregg Williams...)

Nighthawk
01-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Guys stop whinning about this .....Be patient see what happens....This city needs to get a back bone and forget about what people think about us or our team...

Frazier will be the coach.. Just like in Cincy Lewis took the job... that nobody wanted.....Why because those that don't have choices have to take what they can get to prove themselves...

Here to the new coach having a huge chip on his shoulder to prove to the world that he was worthy and that we can be winners again...

Go Bills....

Bmax....

Wow, super homer...gotta love the blinders.

buffalobillsfan95
they also said that seatle offered tony dungy as president or something like that and he really liked frazier sooo... if we get frazier we might also dungy

elltrain22
what if Harbaugh takes the Oakland job? How bad do we look then??

Nighthawk
01-16-2010, 06:59 PM
I agree that not even interviewing is pretty bad. But if I'm Brian S. I dont take this job either. He's a young coordinator and he is bound to get several more HC job offers in much better organizations than the Bills. One bad HC stint can really kill someone's momentum in their search for that job (i.e. Mularkey, Gregg Williams...)

I'm not disagreeing with that, but your assumption that Nix is this super respected person in the NFL, I think, is being proven wrong. If people really respected him, then they would be jumping at this job, that isn't happening and in fact, the opposite is happening.

McBFLO
01-16-2010, 06:59 PM
what if Harbaugh takes the Oakland job? How bad do we look then??
Oh god, I dont even wann think about that possibility!

Nighthawk
01-16-2010, 07:00 PM
they also said that seatle offered tony dungy as president or something like that and he really liked frazier sooo... if we get frazier we might also dungy

Umm, and exactly what position would he fill?

buffalobillsfan95
01-16-2010, 07:01 PM
idk hopefully ownership :)

McBFLO
I'm not disagreeing with that, but your assumption that Nix is this super respected person in the NFL, I think, is being proven wrong. If people really respected him, then they would be jumping at this job, that isn't happening and in fact, the opposite is happening.
I see your logic, but I just don't think there's really any way to prove that our problems looking for a HC is because of him. Just to make sure I understand your position, is Nix or Wilson the main culprit in our HC search issues?

more cowbell
Yes, the fact we have a 91 year old owner who has a repuation for being cheap, a 71 year old GM who was promoted in house because our owner is too stubborn to look outside the organization, and a CEO who was promoted from GM when he had absolutely no business being a GM in the first place has NOTHING to do with why assistant coaches are turning down the Bills for head coaching interviews.

This is completely embarassing

McBFLO
01-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Umm, and exactly what position would he fill?
Yeah, now way that happens. Ralph doesn't know him!

Ingtar33
Nix is a respected scout.

He's never been a respected GM because he's never been a GM

Philagape
Buffalo does not have an NFL team.

more cowbell
01-16-2010, 07:04 PM
this just proves that this organization has become one of the worst franchises in all of professional sports...

buffalobillsfan95
01-16-2010, 07:06 PM
only if we can get a great coach and a superstar player like manning.... brady..... or chris johnson or adrian peterson the bills fan base will deteriate and we will be moving to LA but im real bills fan for life

ddaryl
01-16-2010, 07:07 PM
this stuff needs to happen... and we can only hope Frazier also has a change of heart

Ralph must be removed... and until then this franchise is being held hostage.

what a shame that he couldn't just have made some sort of arrangement a few years back and just been a figure head partial owner at this point....

Mathja
01-16-2010, 07:08 PM
whoever takes this job has so many obstacles to get past -- mainly the perceptions that exist about the organization, true or untrue. That's why it's so important that they get someone who can provide instant credibility. It doesn't look like that will happen though.
I would have been really excited about Jim Harbaugh -- even though he wouldn't have been that sure thing like Cowher would have.

Nighthawk
01-16-2010, 07:09 PM
I see your logic, but I just don't think there's really any way to prove that our problems looking for a HC is because of him. Just to make sure I understand your position, is Nix or Wilson the main culprit in our HC search issues?

Wilson's hiring of Nix to the position was just another indication that nothing is going to change and I think candidates see that.

YardRat
01-16-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm stunned.

Boomer makes an off-hand comment about Cowher wanting to return to coaching, and nobody's hopped on that yet?

Speechless.

Typ0
01-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Dude Lewis was one of if not the MOST sought after candidate to coach that offseason and I seem to remember a plethora of coaching changes. Wake up.

Go Bills....

Bmax....

Mathja
01-16-2010, 07:14 PM
I wish there was someone who would go on the record and say what the problem is -- or someone who would even say it off the record.

A first-timer that takes the job would likely ruin his chances for future jobs if he failed in Buffalo. Too many of these first timers must think they are less likely to succeed in Buffalo than if they got a job working for a more stable owner that runs a team the way its supposed to be run -- or leaves it to someone that does know how.

YardRat
01-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Lewis turned down Buffalo also. A lot of posters were on his bandwagon at that time.

Typ0
01-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Look at all the guys who have left here in the past ten years. Fade is the last guy to get a HC job.

Canadian'eh!
01-16-2010, 07:20 PM
another nail in the coffin....

wmoz11
01-16-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm stunned.

Boomer makes an off-hand comment about Cowher wanting to return to coaching, and nobody's hopped on that yet?

Speechless.

I think it's finally hit everyone that if Jim Harbaugh, Russ Grimm (allegedly), Brian Schottenheimer, etc. do not want this job, it's a foregone conclusion that Bill Cowher sure as hell doesn't.

patmoran2006
01-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Anyone still thnk Cowher is a possibilty after this?

LOL

BTW, I throw my white flag and beg for mercy from the crowd for predicting Jason Garrett yesterday.

There is no way in hell he's coming here.

patmoran2006
01-16-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm stunned.

Speechless.

Them offering the job to Harbaugh is pretty much all the evidence that people really need that talks with Cowher led nowhere.

elltrain22
01-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Them offering the job to Harbaugh is pretty much all the evidence that people really need that talks with Cowher led nowhere.

this just keeps getting worse and worse by the day

Luisito23
01-16-2010, 07:35 PM
I think it's finally hit everyone that if Jim Harbaugh, Russ Grimm (allegedly), Brian Schottenheimer, etc. do not want this job, it's a foregone conclusion that Bill Cowher sure as hell doesn't.

I wouldn't be so sure about that...People here are so hardheaded that the stupid Cowher threads are not going to end until we sign someone.

patmoran2006
I"m sorry.. and I'm learning that jumping to conclusions doesn't work.

But how the hell can a college college who's dying to get a NFL head coaching job TURN DOWN a NFL offer.

Nighthawk
Anybody else just tired with Ralph and wish he was gone...not dead because that's pretty rude, but just gone?!?!

patmoran2006
01-16-2010, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't be so sure about that...People here are so hardheaded that the stupid Cowher threads are not going to end until we sign someone.

Its pretty obvious now that if Minny loses tomorrow the treads will be done for good by Monday or Tuesday

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Two words Russ Brandon He is the problem and is why no coach will come near the bills with a ten foot poll

Mathja
01-16-2010, 07:38 PM
It's almost impossible to switch allegiances when it comes to a favorite sports franchise. I tried it once with pro basketball and it just doesn't really work. I even wrote a column about it.
But some days I wake up wishing that someone could wash my brain of the Bills. Sort of like when Kate Winslett was wiped from Jim Carey's memory in that eternal sunshine for the spotless mind movie.

elltrain22
01-16-2010, 07:39 PM
ya think Lindy Ruff knows anything about football???

Luisito23
01-16-2010, 07:41 PM
But how the hell can a college college who's dying to get a NFL head coaching job TURN DOWN a NFL offer.

We're NOT an NFL team!

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-16-2010, 07:43 PM
this is truely one of the most amazing things i have ever seen in all my years of followiing pro foptball
seriously, i realy am flaberghasted. where the hell does this franchise go from here?

Mathja
01-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Was it Mike Lombardi who said he heard the bills already had their man and it might not be Leslie Frazier? I wonder if he was talking about Harbaugh, and at the time the Bills thought they had a good shot at getting it done.
I'm pretty sure he was guessing who this mysterious candidate was -- Harbaugh is one of the few that would have to absolutely keep an interview a secret.

elltrain22
01-16-2010, 07:45 PM
the more I hear, the more I read, the more I like Leslie Frazier; for wanting to coach here. If for one reason, Buffalo fans should be endeared to Frazier, is that he wants to be here. I just hope, at the end of the day, he still wants the job; if he ever really wanted it in the first place.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-16-2010, 07:46 PM
no player, no free agent, mo assistant...no nobody is going to come here now
.. this is the death nell of the franchise

Mathja
01-16-2010, 07:47 PM
the more I hear, the more I read, the more I like Leslie Frazier; for wanting to coach here. If for one reason, Buffalo fans should be endeared to Frazier, is that he wants to be here. I just hope, at the end of the day, he still wants the job; if he ever really wanted it in the first place.

Hmmm...he's interviewed for about 7 jobs and nobody wanted him....The Bills have interviewed or asked to interview about 7 candidates and nobody wants them. A match made in heaven?

YardRat
01-16-2010, 07:52 PM
I didn't see Casserly's comment, so I really have to hedge my own, but I have a hard time believing Harbaugh was actually offered the position before this weekend's round of games.

The team isn't in that big of a hurry, and shouldn't be, to get somebody.
They still have an opportunity to contact coaches from teams eliminated this weekend.
If he did indeed turn down any kind of offer (for all we know a formal offer wasn't really in place, and it could have been a 'what if?' scenario that JH just said no to), it's possible he knows he has security at Stanford and wants to wait for an opportunity that he considers closer to 'ideal' for him and his family.

Hell...there are tons of positions coaches around the league that would turn down the opportunity also, for reasons that would have nothing to do with the Buffalo organization.

cwkbills
01-16-2010, 08:00 PM
This is turning into a public relations nightmare, and our team CEO is a marketing guy. This could only get worse if they have a press conference on monday and name Chuck Lester our new head coach.

Bmax
01-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Dude Lewis was one of if not the MOST sought after candidate to coach that offseason and I seem to remember a plethora of coaching changes. Wake up.

I am awake i just don't be belive in cryimg about something the Bills never had ...I agree that they should have interviewed Billick or even Martz..

By my count it looks like they have talked to

Shanahan
Cowher
Fewell
Frazier
Harbaugh
Scottenheimer and Grimm

Some big names...but i knew from day one that Cowher and Shanahan were pipe dreams...

Schottenheimer isn't ready in my opinon to be a Head coach...
Grimm was passed over by his own team...But i still think he will be good and is worthy of consideration...

Frazier is worthy .. he was considered last year by teams ...I really don't see the point to be negative.. To always complain is uselees and pointless...The Bills should be pounded for letting it get to this but...i won't post constant we stink posts..Tell me something i don't know ...

If that's all you guys got then why bother ?

Bmax

BertSquirtgum
01-16-2010, 09:54 PM
i don't even care at this point

Ingtar33
01-16-2010, 10:00 PM
I"m sorry.. and I'm learning that jumping to conclusions doesn't work.

I don't know. If i was offered the Bills job i'd be there in a heartbeat, hell i'd even go to Oakland if it was open...

Just look at Lane Kiffin, Oakland was a huge career boost.

CoolBreeze
01-16-2010, 10:01 PM

Go Bills....
Best post all day.. reading this message board every day makes me think Buffalo doesn't deserve a NFL team. Fickle fans that think they know more than people who have been involved in pro football for many years, while they sit in at their computers analyzing "rumors" and "what could be" based on Madden 2010. Here's a thought, if Frazier becomes the head coach, how about rallying around a guy who deserve a shot, has 2 SB rings, and knows more about football than every single person on this message board combined!

Bmax....

sillenb61
01-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Screw harbaugh and screw cowher and screw b schottenheimer and screw grimm, if they dont want come to this good community and fan base and ry and turn this team around which isnt even a horrible team screw them!! You guys need to show a ittle pride!!

sillenb61
01-16-2010, 10:43 PM
We're NOT an NFL team!

Then how did we win 6 games this year and 7 the year prior were not even the worst team in the league, not even close!

Demon
01-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Two words Russ Brandon He is the problem and is why no coach will come near the bills with a ten foot poll

You couldn't be anymore wrong. Russ Brandon is not the problem. Actually, Russ Brandon is probably doing his best to convince Ralph to start doing the right thing.

Ralph ran Bill Polian out of town.
Ralph ran John Butler out of town.
Ralph ran Wade Phillips out of town.

Then we hired Gregg Williams and that relationship didn't end nice either.

We hired Tom Donahoe who hired his boy Mike Mularkey. Ralph kicked Donahoe to the curb, then forced Mularkey to fire one of his buds and gave Mularkey zero power in hiring his own people, so he left on bad terms, leaving loads of money on the table (something thats unheard of).

He hired Marv Levy, who brought in Dick Jauron. Ralph was the main guy who tried to force Turk out, who finally was fired by Dick..... but don't make any mistakes, it was Ralph's call.

Now, you ask, maybe Ralph changed? NOPE.

Alex Van Pelt said in an interview that he had DINNER with Ralph each and every Friday and they went over PLAYS for Sunday. Ralph gave him ideas of what to do. You think anyone with any credibility wants that????

He then hires Buddy Nix, after NOBODY from outside the organization wants to even interview, and has Buddy be his puppet. Buddy says "I will find a new coach".... Buddy later tells the Buffalo News that he was RECOMMAND top 2-3 choices to Ralph Wilson who WILL PICK the next coach out of that 2-3 pile.

Guys, wake up and smell the coffee. Ralph Wilson is the problem. He's been the problem since the SB days and he is killing this team.

Crisis
01-16-2010, 11:45 PM
ya think Lindy Ruff knows anything about football???

lol...

thank god for lindy ruff

Cleve
01-17-2010, 12:00 AM
If this news is true, it's strong evidence that Ralph Wilson Jr himself is the millstone around the neck of the Buffalo Bills, dragging the team ever downward.

Every single bad decision and blunder of the last futile decade has ultimately sprung from the mind of Ralph Wilson. Wilson should have stepped aside 10 years ago, and let younger minds and attitudes manage the team. I've been convinced that Wilson was the problem when he announced the firing of John Butler, and that he was taking an active role in the management of the team again. That very day, 9 years ago, when I heard Wilson's announcement on WHAM 1180 radio, I said to myself - "this man is becoming senile - he's losing it - he can't think clearly any more"

9 years later, the situation is far more desperate, because Wilson is a lot older now, and advancing old age continues to take it's toll. Besides, if a younger Wilson didn't have a clue, nearly a decade ago, how to organize and run a winning football team, does anyone really think he does now, a man in his 90s?

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-17-2010, 12:00 AM
You couldn't be anymore wrong. Russ Brandon is not the problem. Actually, Russ Brandon is probably doing his best to convince Ralph to start doing the right thing.

Ralph ran Bill Polian out of town.
Ralph ran John Butler out of town.
Ralph ran Wade Phillips out of town.

Then we hired Gregg Williams and that relationship didn't end nice either.

We hired Tom Donahoe who hired his boy Mike Mularkey. Ralph kicked Donahoe to the curb, then forced Mularkey to fire one of his buds and gave Mularkey zero power in hiring his own people, so he left on bad terms, leaving loads of money on the table (something thats unheard of).

He hired Marv Levy, who brought in Dick Jauron. Ralph was the main guy who tried to force Turk out, who finally was fired by Dick..... but don't make any mistakes, it was Ralph's call.

Now, you ask, maybe Ralph changed? NOPE.

Alex Van Pelt said in an interview that he had DINNER with Ralph each and every Friday and they went over PLAYS for Sunday. Ralph gave him ideas of what to do. You think anyone with any credibility wants that????

He then hires Buddy Nix, after NOBODY from outside the organization wants to even interview, and has Buddy be his puppet. Buddy says "I will find a new coach".... Buddy later tells the Buffalo News that he was RECOMMAND top 2-3 choices to Ralph Wilson who WILL PICK the next coach out of that 2-3 pile.

Guys, wake up and smell the coffee. Ralph Wilson is the problem. He's been the problem since the SB days and he is killing this team.

I agree somewhat. What I'm trying to say is that the title that Russ holds is a turn off to any of the respectable coaches in the NFL. Russ holds the same position as does Parcells does for Miami. So Russ has no experience in the position he holds. Why would any coach want to report to Russ, a marketing guy? Would you rather work under a football guy or a marketing guy?

The reason I feel we did not bring in a guy like Reese or Allen because Russ would've been shown the door or demoted to marketing director. Sure he has Ralph's ear and is trusted by Ralph. But Russ has a conflict of interest here, he doesn't want someone hired to replace him. You can say Russ did a good job selling tickets and so on. But if Ralph put in a football minded structure to the FO all of the rest would fall into place on it's own.

In the end potential coach's are saying what the hell are the Bills thinks having a marketing guy run the team and refuse to change that under and circumstances. So in-turn they are saying thanks, but no thanks because nothing has changed.

Mudflap1
01-17-2010, 12:04 AM

Maybe. Casserly also stated that Tony Dungy was serious about being the President of the Seahawks, and Frazier would've been his coach. However, Dungy stated on Dan Patrick's radio show personally on Friday that, while he received a call from the Seahawks and talked to them, politely told them he was not interested, and that the conversation didn't go anywhere. Dungy is a straight shooter that has no reason to lie. He is simply retired and not interested in getting back into football right now. However, as he has said, if someone calls him at his house, he'll talk to them. Bottom line is that Casserly may indeed be full of crap.

Oldbillsfan
01-17-2010, 12:05 AM
So he was offered the job without even an interview?

Demon
01-17-2010, 12:21 AM
So he was offered the job without even an interview?

Many college coaches agree to interview as long as it's kept as private as possible. Only reason is, if it leaked that Harbough was interested in the Bills and they were talking, his recruitment would be dead. He would have no chance of getting the trust of those players back or even future players. They keep it private and when it leaks, it's Harbough "rejected" us. It's all about recruitment.

Night Train
01-17-2010, 06:28 AM
Two words, Ralph Wilson. He is the problem and is why no coach will come near the bills with a ten foot poll

Corrected.

SABURZFAN
01-17-2010, 06:30 AM

We suck

three words- The Old Fart

nobody wants to work for a meddling, penny pinching owner who will not give them any kind of chance to win.

Cntrygal
01-17-2010, 06:52 AM
I didn't see Casserly's comment, so I really have to hedge my own, but I have a hard time believing Harbaugh was actually offered the position before this weekend's round of games.

The team isn't in that big of a hurry, and shouldn't be, to get somebody.
They still have an opportunity to contact coaches from teams eliminated this weekend.
If he did indeed turn down any kind of offer (for all we know a formal offer wasn't really in place, and it could have been a 'what if?' scenario that JH just said no to), it's possible he knows he has security at Stanford and wants to wait for an opportunity that he considers closer to 'ideal' for him and his family.

Hell...there are tons of positions coaches around the league that would turn down the opportunity also, for reasons that would have nothing to do with the Buffalo organization.

I saw the comment last night, I can't remember the actual wording (I was tired, I'm sure the :boozer: didn't have anything to do with it!)... but I thought he said that Harbaugh declined the INTERVIEW (not an actual job OFFER).

YardRat
01-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Bill Polian wasn't blameless when he left...He didn't get along that great with Littman, and if he had never called Wilson's daughter a ***** the mini-power struggle could have ended up with Bill staying and Jeff getting the boot instead. That would've been ideal.

Butler put us in cap hell, re-signing his 'buddy' players to huge contracts, and wouldn't commit to the team when his contract was almost up...Maybe Ralph's offer was too low and he jumped the gun a little on that one instead of waiting to see what John's fair-market value would be.

Wade Phillips wouldn't get rid of the worst special teams coordinator in the history of the NFL and FUBARed the QB's in the playoffs.

Williams was a horrid head coach. Terrible hire to begin with.

Donahoe was strapped by Butler's mess, screwed drafts, and could've done a helluva lot better than Mularkey for a HC. See Williams for Mike's grade.

Levy was a desperation move...When you're struggling, you turn to those who you trust the most and unfortunately Levy was in over his head. Jauron was a bad hire also.

I'm not saying Ralph is blameless. To a certain extent, Ralph is 'cheap', but no cheaper than the average owner. Ralph does 'meddle', but no more than other owners. Ralph has made bad hires, but what owner hasn't?

Tom D was the the hot name when he was brought in. Levy was a name guy. Is it their fault for the coaches they brought in, or Ralph's for trusting them to do their job?

Wilson certainly deserves his share of the blame for the last 15-20 years, but the people he hired to do a job and failed miserably deserve more.

BTW---not that I'm doubting it, but I'd like to see the interview with Van Pelt regarding the dinners and play selection...This is the first time I've ever heard anything like that happening being alluded to.

Novacane
01-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Wilson deserve the MAJORITY of the blame. His meddling causes most our problems. Yes, Wade should have been fired for refusing to fire Ronnie Jones but he never would have been here if meddling Ralph had not made them fire a good special teams coach in Dehaven the year before. The MCM was a fluke play! Not Dehavens fault. Meddling Ralph wanted a scapegoat. Where his rep really started going down around the league (IMO) is when he tried to get out of paying Wade. That was a cheapass loser move.

Agree the Donahoe years I don't blame on Ralph. Donahoe was the hot name we all wanted. It just did not work out mainly because he did not hire good coach's. Of course the Mike WIlliams and moving up for JP :puke: helped kill him too.

What has happend since then is what has really brought us to the embarring state of noone wanting this job. The Levy hire was looked at as a joke around the league. An 80yr old GM who has never done that job? :rolleyes: He hires a proven loser buddy in Jauron. :rolleyes: Then when he gets a chance to make it right this year he hires another old guy who has never done the job. Repeats the same mistake! Ralph is a meddling old bastard. Noone in thier right mind wants to coach for him. The state of affairs the franchise is in IS MOSTLY HIS FAULT!!!

shelby
01-17-2010, 08:21 AM
:rofl::rofl::rofl: This is getting embarrassing!

Anythewho, here's a link to the Harbaugh story: he was offered the job and declined.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/01/cbs-stanfords-jim-harbaugh-turns-down-bills-offer-to-become-head-coach/1

Griff
01-17-2010, 08:26 AM

Promoting a guy who is considered a top talent evaluator is a bad thing?

Mathja
01-17-2010, 09:39 AM
What a piss poor job by the buffalo media for not following up on Casserly's statements. He said it last night at what 7:15? Plenty of time for a story in today's papers.
There is speculation that Leslie Frazier is the leader in the clubhouse -- if someone else -- anybody else -- was actually offered the job, that is huge news!!!
Casserly threw some chum in the water -- but nobody is sniffing. Or, they can't get anyone to comment on this possibility. Not Harbaugh. Not a Bills rep. Not the AD at Stanford. If all else failed, and I was a reporter there, I'd call Lane Kiffin to get a quote -- That guy would love to plant a seed of doubt in the minds of potential Stanford recruits.
There is a story here to report on, but i'm not sure if anyone in the BLo media is good enough or ambitious enough to do it.

Nighthawk
01-17-2010, 09:58 AM
three words- The Old Fart

nobody wants to work for a meddling, penny pinching owner who will not give them any kind of chance to win.

Exactly...this guys unwillingness to do what it takes to build a winner is killing this franchise. This guy is so clueless that it's becoming laughable!

Nighthawk
01-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Promoting a guy who is considered a top talent evaluator is a bad thing?

Yes...stop being a homer and open your eyes.

madness
01-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Harbaugh just signed a nice extension and turned down every job offered to him. Nothing to see here. Move on.

Michael82
01-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Harbaugh just signed a nice extension and turned down every job offered to him. Nothing to see here. Move on.
Exactly! The more I read about it, Harbaugh only would have come here if the money was right and I'm betting it wasn't.

madness
01-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Exactly! The more I read about it, Harbaugh only would have come here if the money was right and I'm betting it wasn't.

it wasn't even about money. There's a good chance He could have made more at ND.