PDA

View Full Version : This is what a real GM does...

Nighthawk
01-16-2010, 09:23 PM
...cleans up the mess. Is Nix ever going to earn his paycheck or are the strings that Ralph has connected to him going to prohibit it?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AiQWYNmASYB1604_BxiybiwdsLYF?slug=ap-brownsfirings&prov=ap&type=lgns

CoolBreeze
01-16-2010, 10:09 PM
You know from personal experience? All your NFL experience taught you that? Which franchise did you resurrect?

YardRat
01-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Little bit different...Cleveland has a CEO/president in place, and is retaining their coaching staff.

Does Brandon or any of the front office get any credit for cleaning out the coaching staff immediately after the season ended? The moves appear similar to me, just different parts of the organization.

Nighthawk
01-16-2010, 10:16 PM
You know from personal experience? All your NFL experience taught you that? Which franchise did you resurrect?

Nice try...try again.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Little bit different...Cleveland has a CEO/president in place, and is retaining their coaching staff.

Does Brandon or any of the front office get any credit for cleaning out the coaching staff immediately after the season ended? The moves appear similar to me, just different parts of the organization.

but you still have the same FO that just got promotions and are now having a hard time filling those spots that they just opened up. Sounds to me like they are the reason we can't get a respectable coach here.

YardRat
01-16-2010, 10:29 PM
but you still have the same FO that just got promotions and are now having a hard time filling those spots that they just opened up. Sounds to me like they are the reason we can't get a respectable coach here.

It may sound like it to you, but at the same time it might be no where near the truth.

Maybe Brandon and Wilson threw the keys at Shanny but not the checkbook, and he told them he'd rather go to a team that gave him the safe also and could care less about the future ramifications of how he spends the money.

Maybe they offered Gruden and told him to pick a GM, and he likes the easy paycheck in the booth and doesn't want to coach anybody yet.

Maybe they offered the same to Cowher, and he replied "Tell you what...I really want the Carolina job, so no thanks, but I'll make a deal with you. I won't say publicly that I declined the opportunity to help you, you don't say anything publicly to help me get leverage with the Panthers."

Maybe they approached Schotty--"Thanks, but I'm done coaching. You could ask my kid, though."

Now what? "Gee...We better at least get a football GM since these guys aren't coming." Enter Buddy Nix. All the 'big names', except for Billick, are already eliminated so enter the likes of Frazier, Grimm, Rivera etc.

There are other reasons for guys to turn down jobs, other than just "Gee, we suck."