PDA

View Full Version : La Canfora on Cowher, coach search

YardRat
01-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Didn't see this posted before, sorry if it has been...

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/story?id=09000d5d815c085e&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Cowher was contacting associates again this offseason with his sights set on four attractive possibilities: Chicago, Houston, Carolina and Tampa Bay. As we know, positions with those teams did not open up, but the Buccaneers did contact him and were serious in their intent, as I have reported, but concerns over salary and player spending doomed any progress there.

At first, Russ Brandon, then team president, now CEO, was running the show, putting together lists of candidates for owner Ralph Wilson and scheduling interviews. Efforts to court Mike Shanahan, Jon Gruden and Cowher came up empty, as expected, and in the meantime Wilson was reshuffling his front office.
A few weeks back, Buddy Nix was promoted to general manager -- a move that shocked some in the football community given all the responsibility Nix, a 70-year-old, behind-the-scenes, on-the-road scout would have to take on -- and everything changed. Brandon now has a business-side title alone and, according to league sources, is no longer a part of the ongoing search.

BILLSROCK1212
01-16-2010, 09:45 PM
so is Nix screwing things up or did Brandon screw things up or did Wilson with his promotion of Nix??

BillsWin
01-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Brandon screwed them up it sounds like.

YardRat
01-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Personally, I don't think anybody's screwed anything up. Yet.

Bmax
01-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Hey people are n't interested in coming to a team with no QB and a owner who won't spend on free agents...

So they will have to get a guy who either really wants to be a coach or who really needs a job .....

Bmax...

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Brandon screwed them up it sounds like.

I agree, first Brandon was involved with interviewing/hiring the new coach. But then it came back that Brandon was making the process worse instead of better. So now Brandon will not be part of the HC search and head back to his desk at OBD. That is what it sound like too me

TrEd FTW
01-16-2010, 10:04 PM
You want to know what screwed it up? Ralph Wilson's presence.