PDA

View Full Version : Why the Bills can't Hire a Coach...

Mahdi
01-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Ok,

Let's put all the basic reasons out here first that any football fan would point to...

1. Buffalo not a big city

2. Bad Weather

3. Old owner who's commitment to winning is consistently questioned.

4. Rookie GM

5. Talent at critical positions is weak. (DL, OL, QB)

These 5 reasons are obvious to everyone but there is one reason that we might not have caught on to at the time that is pushing coaches away.

During Buddy Nix's PC he made the mistake of mentioning that the Bills were not going to be major players in FA. He said they would not hand out any big contracts and would only use FA to "Fill out the roster." That was the worst comment a rookie GM could make right before courting HCs.

Basically, any HC who actually looks past the first 5 deficiencies is also faced with the dilemma that they will also be relying on a rookie GM to hit on every single draft pick in order to fill out critical positions. Which means unless Nix does manage to be absolutely perfect in the draft, by year 3 of the coach's tenure, the team is still weak and the coach's rep is tarnished under a bad team.

Unfortunately, (although I like the Nix hiring) hiring Nix without looking for an experienced and well respected GM is hurting our ability to bring in a quality HC.

TacklingDummy
01-17-2010, 12:02 AM

That's the main reason.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-17-2010, 12:03 AM
A CEO/Prez that has no business in that title.

Mahdi
01-17-2010, 12:15 AM
A CEO/Prez that has no business in that title.
I think the Bills were pretty clear though that Russ will handle the business side of things so I doubt it's a factor.

Thurmal
01-17-2010, 01:10 AM

Ebenezer
01-17-2010, 01:31 AM

combine that with his firing of Wade Philips and the subsequent lawsuit so he didn't have to pay WP is probably 1a and 1b on the list.

Luisito23
01-17-2010, 03:22 AM
I think the Bills were pretty clear though that Russ will handle the business side of things so I doubt it's a factor.

Believe me it's a BIG factor. That bum has no business being the CEO of any football team.

YardRat
01-17-2010, 05:57 AM
How much 'play' is there really going to be this season anyway in free agency with the uncapped year?

SABURZFAN
01-17-2010, 06:27 AM

Brandon is nothing more to the team than marketing. i could name people in here that know more football than he does.

Cntrygal
01-17-2010, 06:55 AM

ddaryl
01-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Ok,

Football 101 clearly states you take care of the trenches and the QB position and you keep them up....

looking at our last 10+ drafts and FA we have failed miserably at these 3 key areas

justasportsfan
01-17-2010, 09:36 AM
NO one knows what the state of the franchise is. No one knows what's going to happen when Ralph passess. Anyone coaching the team then would be in limbo. THe team could have new owners and in a new city.

tampabay25690
01-17-2010, 09:50 AM
NO clear QB in Buffalo is a big reason....
No that for a fact

YardRat
01-17-2010, 09:59 AM
NO one knows what the state of the franchise is. No one knows what's going to happen when Ralph passess. Anyone coaching the team then would be in limbo. THe team could have new owners and in a new city.

Somebody indicated a couple of weeks ago that Bill Cowher knows what the state of the franchise is, and was 'impressed'.

Cntrygal
01-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Probably impressed that it still manages to have a fanbase.

k-oneputt
01-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Ralph Wilson.

That is all you need to know.

ByrdsTheWord
01-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Stop talking about us not having an established QB as a reason for not getting a coach. Baltimore's never had a legit QB before Flacco. Bucs never had a real QB, neither did the Lions. The Bears never had a legit QB and the Chiefs never had a problem getting interviews without an established QB. All this comes down to is the future of this franchise and where we're headed. Nobody knows.