PDA

View Full Version : At least this team gets it

Owen DeBoard
01-17-2010, 07:16 PM
At least the Jets understand how to build a winner. Take their O-line for example. They have built that O-line mostly through the draft and they are very solid instead of taking cornerbacks, running backs and safties. It goes to show you you dont need a great QB to win in this league. They can run the football and play D. Build an O-line and you have a good shot.

Mr. Pink
01-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Then explain to me why they're gonna get smoked next week by the worst rushing team in the entire NFL.

Damn, just imagine what would happen if the Colts "got it"

homeslice5484
01-17-2010, 07:27 PM
didnt the jets sign some of those linemen a few years ago to monster deals in free agency?

Mr. Pink
01-17-2010, 07:29 PM
didnt the jets sign some of those linemen a few years ago to monster deals in free agency?

Faneca and Woody were big FA signings....yes.

YardRat
01-17-2010, 07:30 PM
I think Indy's going to roll them also, but you do have to give them credit...Posters here were screaming for us to trade up for D'Brick, draft Mangold, etc. I know he's a CB, but I wanted Revis.

They have done well in the trenches.

YardRat
01-17-2010, 07:31 PM

While we went after guys like Dockery and Walker :sad:

Crisis
01-17-2010, 07:31 PM
At least the Jets understand how to build a winner. Take their O-line for example. They have built that O-line mostly through the draft and they are very solid instead of taking cornerbacks, running backs and safties. It goes to show you you dont need a great QB to win in this league. They can run the football and play D. Build an O-line and you have a good shot.

the jets have drafted 4 DBs in the last 4 years, and traded for sheppard as well.

in the last 4 years they've drafted more RBs (Green, Washington) than the Bills have (Lynch)

it's not about what you draft, it's about who you draft.

homeslice5484
01-17-2010, 07:32 PM
our team is so backwards, and its going to continue...brace yourselves Bills fans, Ralph is still alive!

Owen DeBoard
01-17-2010, 07:42 PM
I think Indy's going to roll them also, but you do have to give them credit...Posters here were screaming for us to trade up for D'Brick, draft Mangold, etc. I know he's a CB, but I wanted Revis.

They have done well in the trenches.
Bingo thanks pal.

Crisis
01-17-2010, 07:43 PM
just imagine if they had a real QB

Owen DeBoard
01-17-2010, 07:47 PM
the jets have drafted 4 DBs in the last 4 years, and traded for sheppard as well.

in the last 4 years they've drafted more RBs (Green, Washington) than the Bills have (Lynch)

it's not about what you draft, it's about who you draft.
Ok sorry i meant drafted more lineman in the first round the last couple of years than we did. I believe we passed on a lineman that the Ravens took named Oher that is a pretty darn good Tackle this year. I believe we could have drafted Ryan Clady the year before also. But I guess Leodis McKelvin and Aaron Maybin were better selections.

Owen DeBoard
01-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Thats only two pal. I didnt say they drafted their whole O-line in the draft.

Owen DeBoard
01-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Then explain to me why they're gonna get smoked next week by the worst rushing team in the entire NFL.

Damn, just imagine what would happen if the Colts "got it"
Im not counting out the Jets in no way that game. This game is going to be alot closer than what you think. The Chargers have a very good passing game and definently can run the ball alot better than the Colts. If you can run the ball and play good D you have a very good chance of winning football games and the Jets are proving it.

Owen DeBoard
01-17-2010, 07:54 PM
just imagine if they had a real QB
I just seen a "real QB" in Rivers get beat and a rookie QB win.

Mr. Pink
01-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Thats only two pal. I didnt say they drafted their whole O-line in the draft.

Well according to your theory, we get it too.

We have 4 FA signings on our O and D lines.

The Jets have 3.

So we both have 5 drafted guys starting or home developed guys, however you wanna look at it.

The difference their scouts did a better job on acquiring that talent.

While we draft McCargo, they draft Mangold. They draft Ellis, we take Kelsay and Denney.

While they sign Faneca, we sign Dockery.

Owen DeBoard
01-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Well according to your theory, we get it too.

We have 4 FA signings on our O and D lines.

The Jets have 3.

So we both have 5 drafted guys starting or home developed guys, however you wanna look at it.

The difference their scouts did a better job on acquiring that talent.

While we draft McCargo, they draft Mangold. They draft Ellis, we take Kelsay and Denney.

While they sign Faneca, we sign Dockery.
Now see this is how words get twisted. Can you show me where I said anything about FA signings? I said drafting O-line. McCargo plays on the D-line not the O-line. What the hell are you talking about?

Mr. Pink
01-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Now see this is how words get twisted. Can you show me where I said anything about FA signings? I said drafting O-line. McCargo plays on the D-line not the O-line. What the hell are you talking about?

Oh you want to go just O-line? Alright!

Butler, Levitre, Hangartner, Wood, Chambers...

I'll go with that being our starting offensive line for talking purposes, I forget if Chambers actually started the year.

Butler...drafted

Levitre...drafted

Hangartner...FA

Wood...drafted

Chambers...FA

3 of 5 drafted! What did the Jets do? 3 of 5 drafted!

Wow, looks the same to me, outside of the fact the Jets have done better on both drafting and FA than we have. But we've tried to build the exact same way.

Owen DeBoard
01-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Oh you want to go just O-line? Alright!

Butler, Levitre, Hangartner, Wood, Chambers...

I'll go with that being our starting offensive line for talking purposes, I forget if Chambers actually started the year.

Butler...drafted

Levitre...drafted

Hangartner...FA

Wood...drafted

Chambers...FA

3 of 5 drafted! What did the Jets do? 3 of 5 drafted!

Wow, looks the same to me, outside of the fact the Jets have done better on both drafting and FA than we have. But we've tried to build the exact same way.
WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The JETS have picked Mangold and D brick in the first round and the only guy we have drafted on the O-line in the first round has been Wood and that was this year.

Mr. Pink
01-17-2010, 08:34 PM
WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The JETS have picked Mangold and D brick in the first round and the only guy we have drafted on the O-line in the first round has been Wood and that was this year.

Fine, and we drafted Mike Williams.

Unfortunately for us, he was a bust, whereas D'Brick was not.

Owen DeBoard
01-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Fine, and we drafted Mike Williams.

Unfortunately for us, he was a bust, whereas D'Brick was not.
Your going to draft busts there is no way around that but just because Mike Williams was a bust doesnt mean to stop drafting O-lineman in the first round. The last two years in the draft we couldve had Michael Oher or Ryan Clady but we passed on them both and decided to draft Leodis McKelvin and Aaron Maybin.

Mitchell55
01-17-2010, 08:46 PM
4 of our OL were from the draft. The jets drafted Revis like we drafted McKelvin and they drafted Rhodes like we drafted Byrd

Mr. Pink
01-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Your going to draft busts there is no way around that but just because Mike Williams was a bust doesnt mean to stop drafting O-lineman in the first round. The last two years in the draft we couldve had Michael Oher or Ryan Clady but we passed on them both and decided to draft Leodis McKelvin and Aaron Maybin.

Alright so we've developed you want to keep twisting this around to fit your argument.

Even though the truth is we've for years tried to address the o-line, in pretty much every way you can. Problem is we've never selected the right players to do so with. Outside of Peters and now hopefully Wood.

Look, most people on this board were pissed when we moved up and took McCargo. I thought we did to get Mangold as did numerous other people.

But to say we haven't tried to bolster the o-line through the years is very shortsighted.

Owen DeBoard
01-17-2010, 08:51 PM
4 of our OL were from the draft. The jets drafted Revis like we drafted McKelvin and they drafted Rhodes like we drafted Byrd
How good does our O-line look when you draft them outside of the first round?

Owen DeBoard
01-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Alright so we've developed you want to keep twisting this around to fit your argument.

Even though the truth is we've for years tried to address the o-line, in pretty much every way you can. Problem is we've never selected the right players to do so with. Outside of Peters and now hopefully Wood.

Look, most people on this board were pissed when we moved up and took McCargo. I thought we did to get Mangold as did numerous other people.

But to say we haven't tried to bolster the o-line through the years is very shortsighted.
We havent tried to adress the O-line where the real talent is and that is the first round of the draft. As I have metioned before we should have went with Michael Oher or Ryan Clady or both but instead we pick players at different positions which really didnt need adressed as bad. My post said the Jets get it because they drafted O-lineman in the first round in D brick and Mangold. The Bills on the other hand have only drafted Wood in the first round. Yes they have been trying to adress the O-line in later rounds when most of the talent has already went and it shows. That my friend is why this offense has been so ****y.

Mr. Pink
01-17-2010, 09:08 PM
We havent tried to adress the O-line where the real talent is and that is the first round of the draft. As I have metioned before we should have went with Michael Oher or Ryan Clady or both but instead we pick players at different positions which really didnt need adressed as bad. My post said the Jets get it because they drafted O-lineman in the first round in D brick and Mangold. The Bills on the other hand have only drafted Wood in the first round. Yes they have been trying to adress the O-line in later rounds when most of the talent has already went and it shows. That my friend is why this offense has been so ****y.

And instead of drafting Clady we could have drafted Gosder Cherilus.

Just because guys get drafted in the first round doesn't mean they're destined for the most success....look up some draft history on some guys who've gone in the first round on the o-line.

If the real talent was in round 1, Mike Williams would still be anchoring this line and Jason Peters would be out of the league by now.

Look at the Raiders and their O-line...Robert Gallery...

Wait...Tony Mandarich, best offensive line prospect ever.

Owen DeBoard
01-17-2010, 09:21 PM
And instead of drafting Clady we could have drafted Gosder Cherilus.

Just because guys get drafted in the first round doesn't mean they're destined for the most success....look up some draft history on some guys who've gone in the first round on the o-line.

If the real talent was in round 1, Mike Williams would still be anchoring this line and Jason Peters would be out of the league by now.

Look at the Raiders and their O-line...Robert Gallery...

Wait...Tony Mandarich, best offensive line prospect ever.
We can sit and argue about this all night and not get anywhere. I gave you two guys the last two drafts that would have made this O-line better just like the two guys the Jets drafted in the first round made their O-line better. So take it for what.

justasportsfan
01-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Didn't we try that by drafting OL last year? I like the potential of our young players. What we did have was a coach that was soft and made our players soft.

HHURRICANE
01-17-2010, 09:54 PM

That's why I went nuts when they traded Peters. Now the o-line is important after they had an anchor on it?

The Bills like rebuilding, I'm convicnced of it.

Mr. Pink
01-17-2010, 10:02 PM
That's why I went nuts when they traded Peters. Now the o-line is important after they had an anchor on it?

The Bills like rebuilding, I'm convicnced of it.

It doesn't matter, Peters wasn't very good, he wasn't drafted in Rd1.

Honestly, the truth is Peters half assed it last year here and half assed most of this year in Philly. Plus he didn't even wanna be here anymore.

Owen DeBoard
01-18-2010, 12:32 AM
It doesn't matter, Peters wasn't very good, he wasn't drafted in Rd1.

Honestly, the truth is Peters half assed it last year here and half assed most of this year in Philly. Plus he didn't even wanna be here anymore.
Um lets see Mangold and D brick Rd1 draft picks=solid JETS O-line=AFC championship game....... Bills Wood only Rd1 draft pick on O-line=6-10 this year=no playoffs for 10 straight years. I dont think I can dumb it down for you anymore. Then again you are also a Browns fan so I guess you are having a hard time understanding.

Mr. Pink
01-18-2010, 01:33 AM
Um lets see Mangold and D brick Rd1 draft picks=solid JETS O-line=AFC championship game....... Bills Wood only Rd1 draft pick on O-line=6-10 this year=no playoffs for 10 straight years. I dont think I can dumb it down for you anymore. Then again you are also a Browns fan so I guess you are having a hard time understanding.

2000 Buffalo Bills John Fina and Ruben Brown Rd1 draft picks = no playoffs

2001 same two guys = no playoffs

2002 Buffalo Bills Ruben Brown and Mike Williams Rd1 draft picks = no playoffs

2003 same two guys = no playoffs

House Ballard was probably the most consistent lineman during the super bowl years...he was an 11th round pick.

How's that for dumbing it down?

Mr. Pink
01-18-2010, 01:48 AM
Wait, I can go further on "dumbing it down"

2009 Indianapolis Colts starting offensive line...

Charlie Johnson 6th round pick
Ryan Lilja undrafted FA KC
Jeff Saturday FA originally signed undrafted FA baltimore
Kyle DeVan FA originally an UDFA by washington
Ryan Diem 4th round pick

New Orleans Saints

Jermon Bushrod 4th Rd pick
Carl Nicks 4th Rd pick
Jonathan Goodwin FA from NYJ
Jahri Evans 4th Rd pick
John Stinchcomb 2nd Rd pick

Maybe when the Colts or Saints get it, they'll be good!

Those first round picks on the o-line really matter, don't they?

How did the Steelers ever win the SB last year?

Max Starks 3rd round pick
Chris Kemoeatu 6th round pick
Justin Hartwig FA 6th round pick by Tenn.
Darnell Stapleton UDFA
Willie Colon 4th round pick

NOT THE DUDE...
01-18-2010, 01:55 AM
i think any one with a brain realized u only win with bad or avg qb play when u have a number 1 or 2 defense in the nfl. which is incredibly hard to build and can take up to 3 or 5 years if u hit on every pick. the way u build a team is through ur qb first and then u build around him. the ravens jets and bears and bucs of this decade all have had great great defenses, that is why they have won. but its not the norm and it shouldnt be the way we build our team. if we have a chance to take a franchice qb this year. we must pull the trigger, if we cant, then take the best olineman or best pass rusher available. personally i would take brandon graham....