PDA

View Full Version : Bills’ coaching search to come into focus this week

patmoran2006
01-18-2010, 10:48 AM
While the Bills haven’t publicly declared interest in Garrett, a former player still close to the team told me this weekend Buffalo has been keeping very close tabs on him.

“If he wants the job and things can work out I think he’ll end up being the guy,” the player told me. “He’s that young, bright offensive mind in the mold of a Sean Payton they’ve been looking for. He hasn’t been a head coach but he’s worked under the bright lights of Dallas. He’s ready.”

Even if he’s interested, landing Garrett won’t be easy, or cheap. At around $3-million per year Garrett is the highest paid assistant in the NFL. He’s also been groomed as the replacement for Wade Phillips, though Phillips probably saved his job with a division title and playoff victory this month.

Though he’s stated money wouldn’t be an issue with his next coaching hire, Buffalo owner Ralph Wilson still owes former coach Dick Jauron $6-million over the next two years. That can’t be disregarded.

If the Bills truly are impressed with Frazier, and all reports indicate they are, his stock surged after Minnesota’s defensive drubbing of Dallas Sunday. Equally important from a marketing standpoint, his stock may have ascended among a justifiably skeptical fan base.

FULL STORY (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2010/01/bills-coaching-search-to-come-into-focus-this-week/)

bigbub2352
01-18-2010, 10:50 AM
any truth to the rumor about frazier saying he would bring Dungy with him? it was said he told Seattle that?
i read it on another message board

Garrett mite be a tad overatted in my book, but at this point i guess we are going after cordinators since no one else wants the job

patmoran2006
01-18-2010, 10:54 AM
any truth to the rumor about frazier saying he would bring Dungy with him? it was said he told Seattle that?
i read it on another message board

Garrett mite be a tad overatted in my book, but at this point i guess we are going after cordinators since no one else wants the job

Supposedly, the story is when Frazier interviewed with Seattle, he told them that if he were hired, he'd deliver Tony Dungy with him as the GM.

That door is already closed for us, because Ralph hired Buddy Nix.

DraftBoy
01-18-2010, 10:59 AM
But Dungy could come on in an advisory role similar to what Parcells does with Miami.

bigbub2352
01-18-2010, 11:19 AM
But Dungy could come on in an advisory role similar to what Parcells does with Miami.
right thats the way i looked at it too
get rid of Guy and Modrak and Overdorff and let Dungy do those things

BillsWin
01-18-2010, 11:25 AM
That Bills' player quote kind of confirms what I said in my Garrett thread. Thanks for the read Pat.

Scumbag College
01-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Another week of looking like a second rate franchise and being turned down by coaches.

Don't Panic
01-18-2010, 12:00 PM
right thats the way i looked at it too
get rid of Guy and Modrak and Overdorff and let Dungy do those things

Right... and if Dungy isn't interested in the full grind, he would need a GM, which begs the question of can Nix and Dungy work together, as well as is Wilson even remotely interested in trying something like this.

jesseInEA
01-18-2010, 12:05 PM
I kind of don't want to hear anything from mysterious "sources" any more. To me it's all BS until OBD makes an announcement.

McBFLO
01-18-2010, 12:06 PM
I thought it went this way: before Seattle hired Carroll, they tried to get Dungy as the main man there and he said he'd hire Frazier as HC, but ended up declining their offer. No?

Beebe's Kid
01-18-2010, 12:12 PM
I thought it went this way: before Seattle hired Carroll, they tried to get Dungy as the main man there and he said he'd hire Frazier as HC, but ended up declining their offer. No?

Yeah, this is the way it went.

I would be ecstatic if Dungy came in here. He could be what this team needs. I think that his quiet, "we'll handle this in-house" approach would appeal to RW and RB, and hopefully he could talk some sense to them behind closed doors.

Ok....Frazier and Dungy! I'm sold...when are putting up the billboard?

better days
01-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Yeah, this is the way it went.

I would be ecstatic if Dungy came in here. He could be what this team needs. I think that his quiet, "we'll handle this in-house" approach would appeal to RW and RB, and hopefully he could talk some sense to them behind closed doors.

Ok....Frazier and Dungy! I'm sold...when are putting up the billboard?

If Dungy ever takes another NFL job, it will be the Bucs period. Dungy loves living in Tampa, end of story.

jdbillsfan
01-18-2010, 12:43 PM

I think this combo would be my #1 option at this point.

Would bring credibility back to the franchise and the ability to land some free agents.

Don't Panic
01-18-2010, 12:50 PM
If Dungy ever takes another NFL job, it will be the Bucs period. Dungy loves living in Tampa, end of story.

Dungy would have to spend all of 4-5 months in WNY... the position I see him in doesn't require a full-time 12 month presence.

Throne Logic
01-18-2010, 01:22 PM
What, exactly, has Dungy done to warrant all these accolades as the next big thing at the GM position?

Happier with Nix than Tony Dungy.

paladin warrior
01-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Hey Pat.. What about Russ Grimm. Does he coming? AZ lose playoff.

madness
01-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Supposedly, the story is when Frazier interviewed with Seattle, he told them that if he were hired, he'd deliver Tony Dungy with him as the GM.

That door is already closed for us, because Ralph hired Buddy Nix.

That statement needs to do a 180. Dungy wanted Frazier as his coach if he went to Seattle.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4817401

TigerJ
01-18-2010, 02:47 PM
If the eventual new head coach turns out to be someone other than Les Frazier, things could move along rather quickly this week. If Frazier ends up being the guy, expect another week of spinning wheels since the Vikings are still in the playoffs. The best we can hope for in that eventuality is news of other candidates being eliminated, not good news for Frazier haters.