PDA

View Full Version : I loved the 4th and 1 Call by Rex Ryan

BuffaloBlitz83
01-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Ball was on 40, up only 3, 90 secs to go. 1st down wins the game. But a stoppage gives SD great field position to tie it with FG. So a safe call would have been to punt it and pin them inside 10.

Buffalo, 100% would have punted. Ryan showed guts and a brain on that call to control ending game on his own. Loved it. It wasn't the same as the Colts pats call.

Forward_Lateral
01-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Yeah, and if SD stops the Jets, it's the worst call in Jets history.

BuffaloBlitz83

What would you have done or wanted?

patmoran2006
I like the call too.

It showed 100% faith in his team they'd get the yard.

TheBrownBear
01-18-2010, 11:05 AM
It was actually on the 29. If it was on the 40, Ryan would have punted for sure. To go for it from the 29 was actually a no-brainer (unless your name is Dick Jauron), because if you punt and end up with a touchback (a likely scenario from that spot) you only gain 9 yards and then you look like an idiot - and a meek one to boot. So, although Ryan deserves credit for making the right call, it wasn't as if it was some overly ballsy move.

Dicknoze69
01-18-2010, 11:05 AM

I agree with this, but I still would have went for it to end the game. They have the best O-line in the game and only needed a yard. However, if they don't get it and the Chargers tie it up, Jets fans go ballistic.

cocamide
01-18-2010, 11:11 AM
It was actually on the 29. If it was on the 40, Ryan would have punted for sure. To go for it from the 29 was actually a no-brainer (unless your name is Dick Jauron), because if you punt and end up with a touchback (a likely scenario from that spot) you only gain 9 yards and then you look like an idiot - and a meek one to boot. So, although Ryan deserves credit for making the right call, it wasn't as if it was some overly ballsy move.

I thought the same thing. It wasn't like Bilicheat's call where he went for it in his own territory! You have the best defense and best running game. Only a moron wouldn't have gone for it.

ddaryl
01-18-2010, 11:16 AM
I like the call too.

It showed 100% faith in his team they'd get the yard.

which is why the Bills would punt in such a situation. We had no faith in our team to get the yard :tricycle:

BuffaloBlitz83
01-18-2010, 11:19 AM
And I think Turner was an idiot going for the Onside kick with 2:15 to go with 1 TO and 2 minute warning. Jets would have ran 3 straight running plays. Jets don't go for it on 4th down from own side of field.

Typ0
01-18-2010, 11:52 AM
I think it was a good call. If it was our team they would have kicked the field goal. The difference is the JETS have the running game to get that yard and we don't.

Don't Panic
01-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Watching the game, I thought it was a no-brainer to go for it at the time, given the clock/TO situation. And I think it was closer than the 40, because the announcers were talking about a FG attempt.

Don't Panic
01-18-2010, 11:57 AM
And I think Turner was an idiot going for the Onside kick with 2:15 to go with 1 TO and 2 minute warning. Jets would have ran 3 straight running plays. Jets don't go for it on 4th down from own side of field.

That;s one that could have gone either way. Tough to 2nd guess IMO.

MikeInRoch
01-18-2010, 12:01 PM

Which, alas, demonstrates the illogical nature of most fans. Whether or not it actually gets stopped is not the correct basis for determining if it was the correct call.

Griff
01-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Fail, going for it in situations like this are neither smart calls nor bad calls, because you either become the hero, or the zero, you just make the decision and live with the outcome.

MikeInRoch
01-18-2010, 12:50 PM
It's smart to make the call that gives you the highest percentage chance of winning. It's bad to not do that.

EricStratton
01-18-2010, 01:02 PM
His option was never to punt the ball, it was either a 46 yard FG attempt giving SD 1st down at the 36 if they missed, making the FG and being up 6 and kicking off with a minute left, not getting the yard and giving up the ball at the 30 with a minute left or making the 1st down.

It really was an easy decision.