PDA

View Full Version : Peter King: Frazier + Dungy as Team President?

Dicknoze69
01-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Some interesting tidbits in today's MMQB:

"Good notes by Charley Casserly on the CBS pregame show, and Jay Glazer on FOX, about the flirtations of Tony Dungy with the Seahawks, telling the Seahawks he'd sleep on it when they asked about him becoming team president, and about Dungy saying he would have hired Minnesota defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier to be his coach in Seattle. The job was never offered, but I can tell you this: I believe the only job Dungy would consider in the NFL, at least now, is one with him running the franchise and good friend (and family friend) Frazier as the coach. Dungy said several times during the season that he absolutely is not coming back -- but the chance to work Frazier has to give him something to think about. Or, perhaps, something he'd already thought about.

Now, my gut feeling is it won't happen next year either, but who knows? Dungy is getting to like TV, and he's getting to like the freedom the TV life gives him to do his charity work and to be around his children more.

Two things I know:

1. I'm told late last week that Seattle president Tod Leiweke was in the horns of a dilemma: If Dungy was seriously interested in the job, Seattle was going to have to decide who to hire -- Dungy and a head coach, or Pete Carroll and a front office. Those with knowledge of the situation say it would have been a tough call. And because Dungy did not tell Leiweke for sure he wasn't interested until last weekend, Leiweke went ahead with the interview of Frazier when it looked to all the world as if it were a sham. (That's exactly the word I used to describe it on NBC, though now it appears that the interview was legit.)

2. Dungy and Frazier are very close. So close that Frazier considers Dungy his mentor, and calls him weekly for advice on playcalls and personnel matters. "To be able to walk down the hall as head coach and talk to Tony for advice would be a dream,'' Frazier told me Sunday night ... after he and Dungy had dinner together in Minneapolis. "Tony has told me this: If he did ever do it [become a club president], it would be because of me. When he told me that, it brought tears to my eyes.''

So stay tuned. If Frazier doesn't get the Buffalo job after Minnesota's strong run, and if he waits until next year to be a head coach, we'll all have to be on Dungy watch again."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/17/mmqb/index.html?eref=sihp

ddaryl
01-18-2010, 11:29 AM
What are the Bills going to do have 10 different talking heads at the top of the corporate ladder that make decisions

One person needs to be making team decision, not Brandon Nix and Dungy ... that is a recipe for even a bigger disaster...

We all know Brandon is not going to be fired, and neither is Nix... so 1 + 1 = no chance

Dicknoze69
01-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Yeah I think it's unlikely this actually happens; I just found it pretty interesting that the only chance of Dungy coming back is to a Frazier-coached team.

If the Bills tried to make it work, you'd probably have the chain of command go something like this:

Brandon>Dungy>Nix>Frazier

Or you could swap Dungy and Brandon but that would be tough considering you just promoted Brandon to CEO.

Don't Panic
01-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Agreed that there is a slim chance of this happening, but I could see something like this if it did:

Wilson - asleep 14 hours of the day...

Brandon - President. Responsible for the business and marketing side of everything Buffalo Bills. Get's final approval (via Wilson) of all contracts (ie - sets spending limits)

Dungy - Vice President of Football Operations. Part of the brain trust that makes personnel decisions. More of a macro-advisor in that sense. Mentor to Frazier in terms of HC responsibilities. Limited overall role, allowing for flexibility with other pursuits.

Nix - General Manager. Does the bulk of decision making on personnel. Works more with Dungy than below him.

Frazier - Head coach.

Saunders has been tossed around as OC... Frazier would decide what direction the D went, whether it be C2, 3-4, or something in between. Mordak could even stay on as Assistant GM if that's what Nix (Wilson) wanted.

I'm not saying it's entirely desirable, but that could be a way to make it work.

patmoran2006
01-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Buddy Nix's hire blew this opportunity

Griff
01-18-2010, 12:13 PM
What are the Bills going to do have 10 different talking heads at the top of the corporate ladder that make decisions

One person needs to be making team decision, not Brandon Nix and Dungy ... that is a recipe for even a bigger disaster...

We all know Brandon is not going to be fired, and neither is Nix... so 1 + 1 = no chance

Russ is in PR.

Canadian'eh!
01-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Agreed that there is a slim chance of this happening, but I could see something like this if it did:

Wilson - asleep 14 hours of the day...

Brandon - President. Responsible for the business and marketing side of everything Buffalo Bills. Get's final approval (via Wilson) of all contracts (ie - sets spending limits)

Dungy - Vice President of Football Operations. Part of the brain trust that makes personnel decisions. More of a macro-advisor in that sense. Mentor to Frazier in terms of HC responsibilities. Limited overall role, allowing for flexibility with other pursuits.

Nix - General Manager. Does the bulk of decision making on personnel. Works more with Dungy than below him.

Frazier - Head coach.

Saunders has been tossed around as OC... Frazier would decide what direction the D went, whether it be C2, 3-4, or something in between. Mordak could even stay on as Assistant GM if that's what Nix (Wilson) wanted.

I'm not saying it's entirely desirable, but that could be a way to make it work.

What a cluster**** of people with bull**** positions stepping all over everyone elses toes.

baalworship
01-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Buddy Nix > Tong Dungy in personnel matters.

Although if we get Frazier I would love that Frazier has Dungy as a sounding board on big decisions (such as hiring an OC).

Tatonka
01-18-2010, 12:19 PM
you guys talk about brandon like he is making any personel decisions at all..

Don't Panic
01-18-2010, 12:47 PM
What a cluster**** of people with bull**** positions stepping all over everyone elses toes.

Don't hold back now... tell me how you really feel.

I would like to see how Miami and Cleveland are organized... my guess is there isn't a heck of a lot of difference. Like I said, not entirely desirable, but it could play out like this in a fairly reasonable way.

madness
01-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Dungy said several times during the season that he absolutely is not coming back -- but the chance to work Frazier has to give him something to think about. Or, perhaps, something he'd already thought about.

...and most people think Frazier is bum choice for HC. :shakeno:

YardRat
01-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Just from an organizational standpoint, and not by any means what I would or wouldn't 'hope' to happen or 'like' to see, I don't see any problems with Brandon running the business side, Dungy over-seeing the general football operations side, and Nix in charge of personnel. I don't believe Dungy really has much of a background with personnel (or marketing, for that matter), so his position would be more of a figure-head with no need to step on Brandon's or Nix's toes.

Let Brandon sell tickets.
Let Nix draft players.
Let Dungy be the public frontman, hold press conferences, announce signings, assist with negotiations, make sure all travel arrangements are taken care of, etc.
Let Frazier and his staff coach.

NorthCarBills
01-18-2010, 03:31 PM

I too am so confused by how something like this would work. We cannot go with the committee approach employed the last few years. It didnt work, and I hope the hiring of Nix does not do more harm than good in the coaching search.