PDA

View Full Version : Sneak peek of my article on Gailey for NFL.com

T-Long
01-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Guys, read the article then decide on what you think about Gailey.

The Buffalo News is reporting today that Chan Gailey may become the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills sometime this week. Gailey, who most recently was with the Kansas City Chiefs as their offensive coordinator in 2008, has the experience that GM Buddy Nix is looking for. Gailey was the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys from 1998-1999, making the playoffs in both seasons. He then moved on to be the head coach of Georgia Tech from 2002-2007, compiling a record of 44-33.

When Kansas City hired new head coach Todd Haley, Gailey was asked to stay on, but Haley decided to fire Gailey two weeks before the regular season. Sound familiar Bills fans? The Bills did the same thing when then head coach Dick Jauron fired offensive coordinator Turk Schonert a week before the opener.

Here are some highlights of Gailey's coaching career:

* Gailey's first job in the NFL as an offensive coordinator came in 1989-1990 with the Denver Broncos. Denver made the Superbowl in both of those years.

* From 1994-97, Gailey worked with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He was an offensive aide through those seasons, all of which the Steelers won their division. He was the offensive coordinator there from 1996-1997.

* After coaching the Cowboys, he took the job as offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins from 2000-2001. Miami went 11-5 in both of those seasons.

After what we have seen these past few weeks, the Bills could do a heck of a lot worse than Gailey. Keep it here to the Bills Blog Blitz for all the latest news on the Bills and this developing story. You can also follow us on Twitter @BillsBlogBlitz

Michael82
01-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Still hate the move! He's a ****ing D list coach. We were going after A list guys. I'd rather get a ****ing coordinator and some young, fresh mind! :mad:

:puke:

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Absolute worst move I could think of. Would rather have just not hired a coach at all.

BILLSROCK1212
01-18-2010, 04:10 PM
I don't hate the move...the guy is a winner who has flown under the radar mainly do to his move to the college ranks with GT, last year I think him and Haley just clashed it's not that he did a poor job....this guy has a successful track record and I wouldn't mind him getting the job as long as he brings a good staff w/ him and i think he has the connections to do so

Michael82
01-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Absolute worst move I could think of. Would rather have just not hired a coach at all.

Exactly!

No Cease Fires
01-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Exactly!

So you'd rather have no coach at all?

Some geniuses on this board, I tell ya.

patmoran2006
01-18-2010, 04:11 PM
At BEST

Gailey should've been considered for a OC position by Frazier or whomever came in as coach.

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2010, 04:12 PM
I don't hate the move...the guy is a winner who has flown under the radar mainly do to his move to the college ranks with GT, last year I think him and Haley just clashed it's not that he did a poor job....this guy has a successful track record and I wouldn't mind him getting the job as long as he brings a good staff w/ him and i think he has the connections to do so
Where did he win????

He had 1 winning year in Dallas and was like 7-6 every year in college. That is garbage.

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2010, 04:13 PM
So you'd rather have no coach at all?

Some geniuses on this board, I tell ya.
Only in spite.

Of course they need to hire someone but Gailey gives me ZERO confidence in any kind of success for this team.

T-Long
The guy has won everywhere he has went...so you guys are telling me you'd rather have a young guy with no head coaching experience than Gailey? What the hell is the matter with you people?

mark1126
lol.. gotta love bills fans..get a 3rd or 4 tier coach and the glass is still half full...thats admirable..lol...this is why the national media laughs at buffalo, because they DONT GET IT...hello?

BillsWin
01-18-2010, 04:14 PM
At least he's been around winning. I would have wanted Chan Gailey over Jauron when he got hired. But we could do better.

patmoran2006
The guy has won everywhere he has went...so you guys are telling me you'd rather have a young guy with no head coaching experience than Gailey? What the hell is the matter with you people?

ABsolutely yes.

and bring in a guy like Gailey, at best. as the OC

T-Long
Glazer just tweeted this...

Jay_Glazer

surprise candidate in buff. team secretly interviewed chan gailey last wk. expected to mt again 2day. barring a breakdown 2day, he's the guy

THATHURMANATOR
Where did he win?? I am confused.

He was barely above 500 in college and lost to Georgia their arch rivals every year and was 2-4 in bowl games.

He had 1 winning season in Dallas.

He was demoted by the Chiefs last year...

:puke:

FlyingDutchman
01-18-2010, 04:15 PM
coaching opinion aside, thank you for the write up

BillsWin
01-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Notice how I said, "been around winning". I don't think he is a winner, he just has a history of being around it. In Dallas, Pittsburgh and Denver.

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2010, 04:16 PM
At least he's been around winning. I would have wanted Chan Gailey over Jauron when he got hired. But we could do better.
I don't even know I could say that at the time. I didn't want Jauron but I know I wouldn't have wanted Gailey....

T-Long
ABsolutely yes.

and bring in a guy like Gailey, at best. as the OC
Pat, you of all people know, everyone and their brother are turning down the Bills. Getting a guy with an offensive mind with lots of HC experience is a PLUS for this organization. I have absolutely no problem with the hiring and I am far from a homer for this team.

THATHURMANATOR
coaching opinion aside, thank you for the write up
Yes what he said!! I am not mad at you man!

shelby
Nice read T, but to quote Ingtar, it's more of "polishing the turd".

BILLSROCK1212
01-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Where did he win????

He had 1 winning year in Dallas and was like 7-6 every year in college. That is garbage.
wrong...he won EVERY year in Dallas and made a bowl game EVERY year at GT...he coached under Johnson in Miami and was the OC of the winning Steelers of the mid 90s

T-Long
01-18-2010, 04:19 PM
* Gailey's first job in the NFL as an offensive coordinator came in 1989-1990 with the Denver Broncos. Denver made the Superbowl in both of those years.

* From 1994-97, Gailey worked with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He was an offensive aide through those seasons, all of which the Steelers won their division. He was the offensive coordinator there from 1996-1997.

* After coaching the Cowboys, he took the job as offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins from 2000-2001. Miami went 11-5 in both of those seasons.

After what we have seen these past few weeks, the Bills could do a heck of a lot worse than Gailey. Keep it here to the Bills Blog Blitz for all the latest news on the Bills and this developing story. You can also follow us on Twitter @BillsBlogBlitz

T-Long
01-18-2010, 04:20 PM
As Cowboys head coach, he made the playoffs both years. And you don't think that is WINNING?

BillsWin
01-18-2010, 04:22 PM

I think I could live with this if he brings on a nice DC/OC.

Offensive mided. Been around a while.

Good track record in the nfl.

We could do worse. But we could also do much better.

THATHURMANATOR
wrong...he won EVERY year in Dallas and made a bowl game EVERY year at GT...he coached under Johnson in Miami and was the OC of the winning Steelers of the mid 90s
Won what in Dallas? Not a playoff game.
Yeah at 7-6 every year. and lost 4 out of the 6 of those crappy bowl games.

SeatownBillsFan21
Agreed^

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2010, 04:23 PM
As Cowboys head coach, he made the playoffs both years. And you don't think that is WINNING?
To be fair one of the years he made the playoffs it was at 8-8. That is a joke and shouldn't count IMO.

The other year I will give him.

Wait wasn't Jauron 13-3 one year in Chicago.

BILLSROCK1212
01-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Won what in Dallas? Not a playoff game.
Yeah at 7-6 every year. and lost 4 out of the 6 of those crappy bowl games.
let me ask you thurm...when was the last time we won a playoff game??

patmoran2006
01-18-2010, 04:24 PM
CRYSTAL CLEAR

another "yes man"

No Cease Fires
01-18-2010, 04:25 PM
We could do worse. But we could also do much better.

Yeah, this is pretty much how I'm feeling right now. It concerns me that he hasn't coached much in the NFL in the last decade.

Not an exciting choice by any means, but his track record isn't awful.

Michael82
01-18-2010, 04:27 PM
CRYSTAL CLEAR

another "yes man"

They said on WGR that he's another friend of Modrak. So Ralph can keep this ****ty, ****ing pathetic front office together! :ill: :mad:

X-Era
01-18-2010, 04:33 PM
More of the same fans, look away.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-18-2010, 04:35 PM
the guy has been out of pro football for almost 3 years... yeah hell adjust
I quit

dannyek71
01-18-2010, 04:48 PM
If Gailey is in fact the guy, this is an absolute joke. The guy got canned as OC of the Chiefs. If he was brought in as an OC, then I would be content, but HC no way.

This is just like the Jauron hiring. A guy who could not cut it in the NFL is now our HC. The last few weeks has set us back ANOTHER few years.

Michael82
01-18-2010, 04:52 PM
If Gailey is in fact the guy, this is an absolute joke. The guy got canned as OC of the Chiefs. If he was brought in as an OC, then I would be content, but HC no way.

This is just like the Jauron hiring. A guy who could not cut it in the NFL is now our HC. The last few weeks has set us back ANOTHER few years.

I agree Danny. BTW, I bet I'll be getting our season ticket invoice soon. Can't wait to renew! :ill:

It's a good thing that we can still do the tailgating and all that to make the experience more enjoyable. :phew:

dannyek71
01-18-2010, 04:53 PM
I agree Danny. BTW, I bet I'll be getting our season ticket invoice soon. Can't wait to renew! :ill:

It's a good thing that we can still do the tailgating and all that to make the experience more enjoyable. :phew:

Drinking...the same thing that makes us all "tolerate" females who are disgusting also lets us tolerate football teams which are disgusting

T-Long
01-18-2010, 04:54 PM

He got canned because the head coach (TODD HAILEY) was an OC from Arizona and he wanted to call plays. Gheesh. You guys need to do more research before just throwing your opinions out there without being educated on it.

Michael82
01-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Drinking...the same thing that makes us all "tolerate" females who are disgusting also lets us tolerate football teams which are disgusting

Our Toronto ticket value just plummeted! :ill:

dannyek71
01-18-2010, 05:07 PM
He got canned because the head coach (TODD HAILEY) was an OC from Arizona and he wanted to call plays. Gheesh. You guys need to do more research before just throwing your opinions out there without being educated on it.

I don't care about the circumstances, but the Chiefs have been worse than the Bills have for the last couple of seasons. Talent or no talent, I really don't get warm and fuzzy feelings getting someone from that organization, regardless of the situation.

Dick Jauron Jr. will not be a welcome sight on our sideline.

Akhippo
01-18-2010, 05:30 PM
This whole organization is run like chicken soup. Whatever makes Ralph all warm and fuzzy inside. Or like my Grandma and her 20 year old car. It runs, its not flashy, doesnt cost alot, and shes use to driving it. Thats Ralph.

How did we go from standing on the showroom floor looking at the new models, to looking at the back lot at the basic models, to hunting in craigs list for something that at least runs.

Don't Panic
01-18-2010, 06:00 PM
lol.. gotta love bills fans..get a 3rd or 4 tier coach and the glass is still half full...thats admirable..lol...this is why the national media laughs at buffalo, because they DONT GET IT...hello?

Anyone who is being realistic about this team came to realize that we are not a desirable spot at this point. 10 years of failure, out of touch owner... both - whatever. Bottom line - no one who was "A list" or an up and comer wanted the job. I think what people are doing is saying, given that information, this isn't the worst thing that could happen. At least he's been there, and he's had some success, so there are positives to go off of, as opposed to a coordinator who hadn't gotten it done before.