PDA

View Full Version : *The Official Im in Favor of Gailey Thread*

Dying_-2-_Live
01-18-2010, 09:41 PM
You know... I have to admit i had forgotten about the guy lately... but when i heard his name come up recently... I got excited to be honest. The guys knows the offensive side of the ball as good as anyone... and took over a mediocre Cowboys team and took them to the playoffs each year he was there. He's no Bill Cowher. But I may be the only fan excited to hear the news about him likely on his way to Buffalo :giggity:

Commissioner
01-18-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm not for or against him.... i don't know much about him.

His resume looks good to me... better than Brian Billicks....

Dying_-2-_Live
01-18-2010, 09:44 PM
"Despite leading the team to consecutive playoff berths and seemingly re-igniting the Dallas offense, owner Jerry Jones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Jones) would fire head coach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_coach) Chan Gailey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chan_Gailey) after the season." - wikipedia

Mitchell55
01-18-2010, 09:47 PM
I dont mind it atall

tampabay25690
01-18-2010, 10:11 PM
I fine with it if it happens.
Lets just win some games and get this team back to where it needs to.....

Commissioner
01-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Watch this interview...

I like him.. and hope he succeeds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR-fCQSf9aM

hydro
01-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Waiting on the mention of assistants first. Until then I will hold criticism.

BILLSROCK1212
01-18-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm 100% down...probably best hire in the past 10 years....that's not saying much

baalworship
01-18-2010, 10:26 PM
It is an an obvious PR/marketing nightmare. As a football junkie I am waiting to see who his staff will be and how he plans on running the bills.

The guy was only an NFL head coach 2 years and he never missed the playoffs. We have seen so many bad coaches here recently that we rightly expect the worse.

If someone said the Bills would hire a coach that:

-Had NFL head coaching experience
-Was an Offensive Coach who like to run the ball and who had led the NFL in rushing attempts and yards in a city with inclement , bad weather
-Never missed the playoffs as a head coach
-Was a Great Teacher
-Didn't run the same system everywhere but adapted his scheme to match the players he had
-Had extensive years of coaching experience at almost every position including defense and special teams

Most of us would sign up for that. But people are scared because no one was talking about this guy and the Bills often make crazy choices. Gailey was recently considered for Dolphins and Steelers head coaching vacancies so he is not as far off the reservation a pick as some would have it. In the modern NFL candidates can become hot and cold overnight. Buddy Nix obviously remembers back farther than the hot coaching candidates from this year and last year.

Let's see who he brings and whether he will call the plays. I can't choose a side yet.

Philagape
01-18-2010, 10:29 PM
It is an an obvious PR/marketing nightmare. As a football junkie I am waiting to see who his staff will be and how he plans on running the bills.

The guy was only an NFL head coach 2 years and he never missed the playoffs. We have seen so many bad coaches here recently that we rightly expect the worse.

-Was an Offensive Coach who like to run the ball and who had led the NFL in rushing attempts and yards in a city with inclement , bad weather
-Was a Great Teacher
-Didn't run the same system everywhere but adapted his scheme to match the players he had
-Had extensive years of coaching experience at almost every position including defense and special teams

Most of us would sign up for that. But people are scared because no one was talking about this guy and the Bills often make crazy choices. Gailey was recently considered for Dolphins and Steelers head coaching vacancies so he is not as far off the reservation a pick as some would have it. In the modern NFL candidates can become hot and cold overnight. Buddy Nix obviously remembers back farther than the hot coaching candidates from this year and last year.

Let's see who he brings and whether he will call the plays. I can't choose a side yet.

Sorry this post is too nuanced and thoughtful for the BZ

BigZ
01-18-2010, 10:37 PM

-Was a Great Teacher

We used some of the same logic with Nix. Definitely wasn't my first choice but I'm with you - we are going to have to wait to see what kind of coordinators and assistants he can bring, what happens to the strength and conditioning department, whether the Bills bring in some scouting talent etc.

Looks like the BillsZone should up their ad rates - lots of us will be visiting now more than ever.

BillsFanCupp38
01-18-2010, 10:39 PM
At first I was skeptical but the more I read on him the more I like it. It would be nice to finally have a headcoach!

Dying_-2-_Live
01-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Much better hire than Jauron

Mudflap1
01-18-2010, 11:49 PM
If he's so great... why is he the only guy interested in the Bills? Why is no one else interested him?

Cheap, horrible hire. Looks like we've moved on from unproven up and comers to over the hill retreads. If you guys pay money to support this product anymore, you are all sheep. This is not the best hire that the Bills could've made. This isn't the 10th best hire the Bills could've made. Oh yeah, that's right... no one wanted to come here and interview in the first place.

This franchise is a disaster. Officially on Raiders/Lions/Rams level. At least.

Demon
01-18-2010, 11:58 PM
I'm down. We need to give him a chance. Our choices were very slim. Everyone rejected us. I mean, i like this guy more then i liked the Frazier hiring. Even with Frazier, his success would have waited for until he hires a OC, and a OLine coach and a QB coach. Gailey has more experience and i would assume has more connections. He has many question marks, but so does Frazier. Does his front 7 make him so good?

Gailey is taking the job that nobody wanted. He has a lot of work to do and he's going to need all the support he can get. I am glad they finally decided to bring in an offensive mind. Our offenses have been awful for years.

I am very happy the search is over.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm down. We need to give him a chance. Our choices were very slim. Everyone rejected us. I mean, i like this guy more then i liked the Frazier hiring. Even with Frazier, his success would have waited for until he hires a OC, and a OLine coach and a QB coach. Gailey has more experience and i would assume has more connections. He has many question marks, but so does Frazier. Does his front 7 make him so good?

Gailey is taking the job that nobody wanted. He has a lot of work to do and he's going to need all the support he can get. I am glad they finally decided to bring in an offensive mind. Our offenses have been awful for years.

I am very happy the search is over.

I'm not going to rip you for your opinion. I'm only going to comment that it is excruciatingly obvious that you are settling. You are like a 50 year old guy that has never been married, and is so desperate for a wife that he will marry a pig with lipstick just to feel like he has a wife. My apologies if this comparison hits too close to home for some of you...

better days
01-19-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm not going to rip you for your opinion. I'm only going to comment that it is excruciatingly obvious that you are settling. You are like a 50 year old guy that has never been married, and is so desperate for a wife that he will marry a pig with lipstick just to feel like he has a wife. My apologies if this comparison hits too close to home for some of you...

I hope you know more about Football than you do about life in general. If a guy reaches the age of 50 & has never been married, he is most likely the type of guy that never wants to get married.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 12:47 AM
I hope you know more about Football than you do about life in general. If a guy reaches the age of 50 & has never been married, he is most likely the type of guy that never wants to get married.

Thank you for telling me about life. Next time, it would probably be easier for you to read my complete post before drawing a conclusion on what I was trying to say.

better days
01-19-2010, 12:59 AM
Thank you for telling me about life. Next time, it would probably be easier for you to read my complete post before drawing a conclusion on what I was trying to say.

I believe you were trying to say anyone happy with the hire of Gailey is settling. I was saying you used a bad analogy.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 01:07 AM
I believe you were trying to say anyone happy with the hire of Gailey is settling. I was saying you used a bad analogy.

:rofl: That's not what I said. I said Demon in particular sounded like he was settling, because he was saying "we need to give him a chance", "our choices were slim", etc. And the analogy being bad is your opinion. Again, my apologies if my analogy hits too close to home for anybody.

G Wolly
01-19-2010, 01:10 AM
Waiting on the mention of assistants first. Until then I will hold criticism.

True statement.

We could've landed Cowher sure, but without the right sub-coaches to make each individual gear turn in the right direction, we'd get nowhere.

We'll see who else we get first.

better days
01-19-2010, 01:29 AM
:rofl: That's not what I said. I said Demon in particular sounded like he was settling, because he was saying "we need to give him a chance", "our choices were slim", etc. And the analogy being bad is your opinion. Again, my apologies if my analogy hits too close to home for anybody.

Having read your other posts in this thread, I think it is a fair assumption to say you think anyone happy with the Gailey hire is settling. I may be wrong, but it sounds like you are a young guy. I am in my 50's & happily married to wife #3. I do know a few guys my age that have never married & it is because they don't want to be married. If a guy wants to be married & has to settle, he will settle well before the age of 50. You should watch the TV show "Men of a certain age" The Scott Backula character is a perfect example of a never married 50 year old.

BertSquirtgum
01-19-2010, 01:46 AM
i'm not infuriated because pretty much every decent coach out there shunned the bills. the only reason i'm happy is because it's spares the bills and it's fans the embarassment of being turned down again.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 02:29 AM
Having read your other posts in this thread, I think it is a fair assumption to say you think anyone happy with the Gailey hire is settling. I may be wrong, but it sounds like you are a young guy. I am in my 50's & happily married to wife #3. I do know a few guys my age that have never married & it is because they don't want to be married. If a guy wants to be married & has to settle, he will settle well before the age of 50. You should watch the TV show "Men of a certain age" The Scott Backula character is a perfect example of a never married 50 year old.

I am not saying that anyone happy with Gailey is settling. For instance, there are some plain stupid people out there that may think the Gailey hire is a good idea. Furthermore, there are blind faith sheep that will rationalize whatever the Bills do as being the right thing. Lastly, there are fans (which Demon seems like one of those maybe) that knows this is not a good idea, but he is trying ot talk himself into it so that he doesn't end up going into a mental institution over his football team.

As for the analogy, not every never-married guy that is middle aged wants to not get married (yes that was a triple negative in that sentence). I know of people personally that have never been married and are very desperate to find someone. They may not admit it, but everyone knows it. They will end up settling for the first woman that can stand being with them for longer than 30 consecutive minutes. That's the type of situation I was referring to.

airdog32
01-19-2010, 02:52 AM
I am not saying that anyone happy with Gailey is settling. For instance, there are some plain stupid people out there that may think the Gailey hire is a good idea. Furthermore, there are blind faith sheep that will rationalize whatever the Bills do as being the right thing. Lastly, there are fans (which Demon seems like one of those maybe) that knows this is not a good idea, but he is trying ot talk himself into it so that he doesn't end up going into a mental institution over his football team.

As for the analogy, not every never-married guy that is middle aged wants to not get married (yes that was a triple negative in that sentence). I know of people personally that have never been married and are very desperate to find someone. They may not admit it, but everyone knows it. They will end up settling for the first woman that can stand being with them for longer than 30 consecutive minutes. That's the type of situation I was referring to.
It is only football for some it is LIFE, step back look at the big picture! We dont have very many choices, if it does'nt work than so be it time for a new wife!!! Hopefully next time she's young, dumb and full of @#!!!!!

elltrain22
01-19-2010, 04:50 AM
Not my first choice, but I think he's another Wade Phillips. We can win w/ Chan Gailey. I'm in favor.

Night Train
01-19-2010, 05:06 AM
His name is rather bland an unexciting, to say the least.

Still, he's not some unproven asst. who the media promoted ad nauseum, ala Frazier,young Schott, Grimm etc. Those hires would have seriously depressed me.

He can probably attract some quality asst. coaches, which is key to this whole thing working.

I'm not talking myself into liking him, so spare me the sermons. I'm saying I'll give him a chance and let others scream like jilted prom dates.

Historian
01-19-2010, 05:09 AM
Gee...another proven loser.

Go figure.

YardRat
01-19-2010, 05:31 AM
Give him his chance and hope for the best. That's pretty much all you can do, and it would've applied for anybody from Cowher to Harbaugh. One thing for sure...it certainly wasn't a marketing move with a base motivation of selling tickets.

X-Era
01-19-2010, 06:17 AM
You know... I have to admit i had forgotten about the guy lately... but when i heard his name come up recently... I got excited to be honest. The guys knows the offensive side of the ball as good as anyone... and took over a mediocre Cowboys team and took them to the playoffs each year he was there. He's no Bill Cowher. But I may be the only fan excited to hear the news about him likely on his way to Buffalo :giggity:

I wish I could see it this way, trust me. But, I simply cant.

HC was step two after a GM... so far we havent made any significant upgrades IMO. However, we still have to get through free agency and the draft... If we can make significant upgrades to our roster, we might get better.

But if you add in that we will have all new playbooks on both sides of the ball, we could easily be looking at being worse next year.

Jan Reimers
01-19-2010, 07:03 AM
Last year at this time, our top 2 football guys were Brandon and Jauron. Assuming we sign Gailey, this year it will be Nix and Gailey.

Major improvement.

Buddo
01-19-2010, 07:07 AM
I wish I could see it this way, trust me. But, I simply cant.

HC was step two after a GM... so far we havent made any significant upgrades IMO. However, we still have to get through free agency and the draft... If we can make significant upgrades to our roster, we might get better.

But if you add in that we will have all new playbooks on both sides of the ball, we could easily be looking at being worse next year.

TBH, I don't quite understand your reasoning there atm. We have made 'significant upgrades' in both the GM position, and HC position.
For one thing, we now actually have a 'Football' GM, when before we didn't.
We look like we will have a HC who has a clue about offense, whereas before we didn't.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not necessarily that enamoured of who we have got for those positions (although I think more by luck than judgement, Nix might end up being far better than many envisage), but I do consider them both enough of an 'upgrade' to be significant.
How it will all play out from here on in, nobody knows, but I think when the dust settles some, it will be more obvious that some steps in a better directin have been taken.
TBH, personally I think I'd feel more comfortable for the future, if we had Gailey just as our OC, behind a Frazier or Grimm, as I'm unconvinced he will take us to a SB, which is the object of the exercise.
Much will still depend on the staff he assembles under him, but he should be able to have picked up some decent contacts over the years.

Historian
01-19-2010, 08:03 AM
Much will still depend on the staff he assembles under him, but he should be able to have picked up some decent contacts over the years.

:rofl:

Well if nobody wanted to come here to be head coach.....

elltrain22
01-19-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm all aboard, no matter who or what, but I do worry about something. If this fails, and the Bills go another 2-3 years w/o going to the playoffs, how does this franchise survive? I think that Chan Gailey is a make or break hire for this franchise.

Scumbag College
01-19-2010, 08:21 AM
i'm not infuriated because pretty much every decent coach out there shunned the bills. the only reason i'm happy is because it's spares the bills and it's fans the embarassment of being turned down again.

I have to agree with you. It's really embarrassing that there are only 32 NFL head coaching jobs in the world and the Bills are getting turned down left and right or people won't even come to interview here. Also, I was getting tired of reading on these boards about a possible charter plane from North Carolina landing in Buffalo and Cowher sightings at Tim Horton's in WNY.

Now we can focus on being rejected by free agents, reaching with picks in the draft, and finding creative ways to lose at the end of the game during the regular season.

:pirate2: