What type of defenses did Gailey run in NFL and College?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloBlitz83
    We play to win the game!
    • Oct 2009

What type of defenses did Gailey run in NFL and College?

3-4, 4-3, Cover2? When he was a HC
  • Dying_-2-_Live
    • Feb 2009

Re: What type of defenses did Gailey run in NFL and College?

I believe he ran a 3-4... but i could be wrong
    "If you ain't first... You're last"

Comment

• wmoz11
      • Sep 2008

Ugh, Cover 2 is not a defense, it's a coverage. Why can't people ever grasp that? Cover 2 is played by every team in the league, regardless of front 7.

Comment

• Ingtar33
        Dances With Buffaloes
        • Sep 2002

well, Gailey's limited success at GT was basically because he had an awesome DC Jon Tenuta calling his defense. they were a heavy blitzing/pressure unit that was a nightmare for most teams to face.

They played a gambling 4-3 that at times almost looked like a hybrid 3-4 with all the zone blitzing and crazy fronts they ran (it wasn't a 3-4 though sometimes they did run a 3 man front when in nickle)... they might have run a little 3-4 for some of the years he was there... i sorta remember that, but I'll have to check my notes. i do remember his last season there they ran a 4-3 front (then again maybe he never ran a 3-4 look, and all I'm thinking about just might be the wild blitzing his DC liked to run, with all the crazy zone blitz and unbalanced lines).
        Last edited by Ingtar33; 01-18-2010, 10:19 PM.
        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
          !?!?!?!?!?
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Ingtar33
          well, Gailey's limited success at GT was basically because he had an awesome DC Jon Tenuta calling his defense. they were a heavy blitzing/pressure unit that was a nightmare for most teams to face.

They played a gambling 4-3 that at times almost looked like a hybrid 3-4 with all the zone blitzing and crazy fronts they ran (it wasn't a 3-4 though sometimes they did run a 3 man front when in nickle)... they might have run a little 3-4 for some of the years he was there... i sorta remember that, but I'll have to check my notes. i do remember his last season there they ran a 4-3 front (then again maybe he never ran a 3-4 look, and all I'm thinking about just might be the wild blitzing his DC liked to run, with all the crazy zone blitz and unbalanced lines).
          i like the sound of it...that's what the teams who have succeeded in the playoffs have been doing

Comment

• BillsFanCupp38
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by wmoz11
            Ugh, Cover 2 is not a defense, it's a coverage. Why can't people ever grasp that? Cover 2 is played by every team in the league, regardless of front 7.

I think when people say "cover 2" they are refering to the "Tampa 2" which is a 4-3 alignment in which the base package is cover 2. I think that was what he was refering to when he said "cover 2".
            Last edited by BillsFanCupp38; 01-18-2010, 10:28 PM.
            Jeremy Cupp

Comment

• BillsWin
              man amongst boys
              • Oct 2008

Gailey has run both. At GT he ran a hybrid which mixed it up between several different looks which included both 4-3 and 3-4 front sevens.
              I am The Batman.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                Dances With Buffaloes
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BillsFanCupp38
                I think when people say "cover 2" they are refering to the "Tampa 2" which is a 4-3 alignment in which the base package is cover 2. I think that was what he was refering to when he said "cover 2".

yeah, i think that's probably the case. in most people's minds the "cover 2" in synonymous with "tampa 2", when it shouldn't

Cover 2 is a basic coverage package, which indicated the safeties playing over the top.

Tampa 2 is a basic defense designed with the cover 2 at the heart of it's defense. The Tampa 2 uses unique personnel designed to cover the "traditional" holes in a cover 2 set, and relies heavily on the front 4 for stopping both the run and rushing the passer.

The theory is good for the Tampa 2, the problem is finding the personnel to make it work is problematic.
                My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Ingtar33
                  Dances With Buffaloes
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BillsWin
                  Gailey has run both. At GT he ran a hybrid which mixed it up between several different looks which included both 4-3 and 3-4 front sevens.

I remember GT standing their lighter DE up as if he were a LB a lot... and zone blitzing a lot. but i don't really remember them ever really fielding 4 LBers. But yeah, in a way it was a 4-3 hybrid look they liked to show.
                  Last edited by Ingtar33; 01-18-2010, 10:34 PM.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• wmoz11
                    • Sep 2008

yeah, i think that's probably the case. in most people's minds the "cover 2" in synonymous with "tampa 2", when it shouldn't

Cover 2 is a basic coverage package, which indicated the safeties playing over the top.

Tampa 2 is a basic defense designed with the cover 2 at the heart of it's defense. The Tampa 2 uses unique personnel designed to cover the "traditional" holes in a cover 2 set, and relies heavily on the front 4 for stopping both the run and rushing the passer.

The theory is good for the Tampa 2, the problem is finding the personnel to make it work is problematic.
                    Great post, thank you.

The "2" just refers to the amount of deep players. For instance, cover 0 is straight man, cover 1 is man-free, cover 2 is two deep safeties each responsible for half of the field, and cover 3 refers to a free safety having deep middle responsibility and each corner having a third of the deep field.

Like you said, Tampa 2 is considered a defensive scheme because it refers to not only the secondary, but the responsibilities of the linebackers (MLB helps with the deep middle of the field in coverage, a typical weakness of a base cover 2) and down linemen (run responsibilities are one gap).

The problem with the Bills playing the Tampa 2 the last few years is that it relies heavily on getting pressure on the QB without blitzing. It's overall goal is to frustrate teams and eliminate big plays.

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
                      We play to win the game!
                      • Oct 2009

Is DC Jon Tenuta available to reunite with Gailey?

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
                        We play to win the game!
                        • Oct 2009

I hear he is in ND and likely to be fired or quit with the Kelly hire.

Comment

• BillsWin
                          man amongst boys
                          • Oct 2008

I remember GT standing their lighter DE up as if he were a LB a lot... and zone blitzing a lot. but i don't really remember them ever really fielding 4 LBers. But yeah, in a way it was a 4-3 hybrid look they liked to show.
                          That's what I meant. My mistake.
                          I am The Batman.

Comment

• Mitchell55
                            only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
                            • Feb 2008

That DC sounds perfect

Comment

• Ingtar33
                              Dances With Buffaloes
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloBlitz83
                              Is DC Jon Tenuta available to reunite with Gailey?

last i knew he was still DC of the ND Fighting Irish, though i don't know if Kelly will keep him

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X