PDA

View Full Version : What type of defenses did Gailey run in NFL and College?

BuffaloBlitz83
01-18-2010, 09:57 PM
3-4, 4-3, Cover2? When he was a HC

Dying_-2-_Live
01-18-2010, 10:00 PM
I believe he ran a 3-4... but i could be wrong

wmoz11
01-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Ugh, Cover 2 is not a defense, it's a coverage. Why can't people ever grasp that? Cover 2 is played by every team in the league, regardless of front 7.

Ingtar33
01-18-2010, 10:13 PM
well, Gailey's limited success at GT was basically because he had an awesome DC Jon Tenuta calling his defense. they were a heavy blitzing/pressure unit that was a nightmare for most teams to face.

They played a gambling 4-3 that at times almost looked like a hybrid 3-4 with all the zone blitzing and crazy fronts they ran (it wasn't a 3-4 though sometimes they did run a 3 man front when in nickle)... they might have run a little 3-4 for some of the years he was there... i sorta remember that, but I'll have to check my notes. i do remember his last season there they ran a 4-3 front (then again maybe he never ran a 3-4 look, and all I'm thinking about just might be the wild blitzing his DC liked to run, with all the crazy zone blitz and unbalanced lines).

BILLSROCK1212
01-18-2010, 10:23 PM
well, Gailey's limited success at GT was basically because he had an awesome DC Jon Tenuta calling his defense. they were a heavy blitzing/pressure unit that was a nightmare for most teams to face.

They played a gambling 4-3 that at times almost looked like a hybrid 3-4 with all the zone blitzing and crazy fronts they ran (it wasn't a 3-4 though sometimes they did run a 3 man front when in nickle)... they might have run a little 3-4 for some of the years he was there... i sorta remember that, but I'll have to check my notes. i do remember his last season there they ran a 4-3 front (then again maybe he never ran a 3-4 look, and all I'm thinking about just might be the wild blitzing his DC liked to run, with all the crazy zone blitz and unbalanced lines).
i like the sound of it...that's what the teams who have succeeded in the playoffs have been doing

BillsFanCupp38
01-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Ugh, Cover 2 is not a defense, it's a coverage. Why can't people ever grasp that? Cover 2 is played by every team in the league, regardless of front 7.

I think when people say "cover 2" they are refering to the "Tampa 2" which is a 4-3 alignment in which the base package is cover 2. I think that was what he was refering to when he said "cover 2".

BillsWin
01-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Gailey has run both. At GT he ran a hybrid which mixed it up between several different looks which included both 4-3 and 3-4 front sevens.

Ingtar33
01-18-2010, 10:32 PM
I think when people say "cover 2" they are refering to the "Tampa 2" which is a 4-3 alignment in which the base package is cover 2. I think that was what he was refering to when he said "cover 2".

yeah, i think that's probably the case. in most people's minds the "cover 2" in synonymous with "tampa 2", when it shouldn't

Cover 2 is a basic coverage package, which indicated the safeties playing over the top.

Tampa 2 is a basic defense designed with the cover 2 at the heart of it's defense. The Tampa 2 uses unique personnel designed to cover the "traditional" holes in a cover 2 set, and relies heavily on the front 4 for stopping both the run and rushing the passer.

The theory is good for the Tampa 2, the problem is finding the personnel to make it work is problematic.

Ingtar33
01-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Gailey has run both. At GT he ran a hybrid which mixed it up between several different looks which included both 4-3 and 3-4 front sevens.

I remember GT standing their lighter DE up as if he were a LB a lot... and zone blitzing a lot. but i don't really remember them ever really fielding 4 LBers. But yeah, in a way it was a 4-3 hybrid look they liked to show.

wmoz11
01-18-2010, 10:38 PM
yeah, i think that's probably the case. in most people's minds the "cover 2" in synonymous with "tampa 2", when it shouldn't

Cover 2 is a basic coverage package, which indicated the safeties playing over the top.

Tampa 2 is a basic defense designed with the cover 2 at the heart of it's defense. The Tampa 2 uses unique personnel designed to cover the "traditional" holes in a cover 2 set, and relies heavily on the front 4 for stopping both the run and rushing the passer.

The theory is good for the Tampa 2, the problem is finding the personnel to make it work is problematic.

Great post, thank you.

The "2" just refers to the amount of deep players. For instance, cover 0 is straight man, cover 1 is man-free, cover 2 is two deep safeties each responsible for half of the field, and cover 3 refers to a free safety having deep middle responsibility and each corner having a third of the deep field.

Like you said, Tampa 2 is considered a defensive scheme because it refers to not only the secondary, but the responsibilities of the linebackers (MLB helps with the deep middle of the field in coverage, a typical weakness of a base cover 2) and down linemen (run responsibilities are one gap).

The problem with the Bills playing the Tampa 2 the last few years is that it relies heavily on getting pressure on the QB without blitzing. It's overall goal is to frustrate teams and eliminate big plays.

BuffaloBlitz83
01-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Is DC Jon Tenuta available to reunite with Gailey?

BuffaloBlitz83
01-18-2010, 10:55 PM
I hear he is in ND and likely to be fired or quit with the Kelly hire.

BillsWin
01-18-2010, 10:55 PM
I remember GT standing their lighter DE up as if he were a LB a lot... and zone blitzing a lot. but i don't really remember them ever really fielding 4 LBers. But yeah, in a way it was a 4-3 hybrid look they liked to show.

That's what I meant. My mistake.

Mitchell55
01-18-2010, 10:56 PM
That DC sounds perfect

Ingtar33
01-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Is DC Jon Tenuta available to reunite with Gailey?

last i knew he was still DC of the ND Fighting Irish, though i don't know if Kelly will keep him

TigerJ
01-18-2010, 11:00 PM
I hear he is in ND and likely to be fired or quit with the Kelly hire.If he's in college, then he would be available for hire. The question is: is what he coaches in college transferable to the pro game? Some things are, some aren't.

Ingtar33
01-18-2010, 11:09 PM
If he's in college, then he would be available for hire. The question is: is what he coaches in college transferable to the pro game? Some things are, some aren't.

tricky.. it's also a question if pro players will respond to him. i heard he's a bit of a loud mouthed jerk (a certain 4 letter word starting with F is apparently included in every sentence as sort of a verbal punctuation mark).

he's never been scared of blitzing though. you want the total opposite of what we run now, he's it. The guy loves the blitz. It should translate to the NFL. He ran some pretty good schemes, and defense is defense.

but the trick is do we have the personnel or will the defenders like working for a loud mouthed ass?

jpdex12
01-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Notre Dame's defense sucked...leave him there!

BuffaloBlitz83
01-18-2010, 11:15 PM
We need a loudmouth *******!

Ingtar33
01-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Notre Dame's defense sucked...leave him there!

that had nothing to do with the talent at ND right?

if Tenuta is fired he'll be a DC again inside of a week in a BCS conference.

Raptor
01-18-2010, 11:37 PM
I dont think he is married to either a 4-3 or a 3-4 but seems to be a fan of aggressive defenses ala lot of blitzs and what not

BuffaloBlitz83
01-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Maybe he can fix Maybin lol

Jaybird
01-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Maybe he can fix Maybin lol

so could HGH

ZAZusmc03
01-18-2010, 11:42 PM
so could HGH

:beers:

Mudflap1
01-18-2010, 11:43 PM
I'd like to see Blache, the guy from the 'Skins that got let go, come here. He is a good DC.

That being said, I don't see it happening here at "Retread Central".

Ferrygoat
01-18-2010, 11:46 PM
so could HGH

He already tried that