PDA

View Full Version : Lombardi: Bills hate change

Dicknoze69
01-19-2010, 10:23 AM
"Recently, my fundamental problem with the Bills organizational is that they hate change. They don’t want to bring in someone from the outside to alter their thought process, and as the saying goes, if you don’t like change, you’re going to like irrelevance even less. And let’s face it, the Bills are irrelevant. Hence, the reason for no GM hiring after Marv Levy left. Instead, they promoted marketing man Russ Brandon. Then they stayed in house and hired Buddy Nix to become their new general manager with Brandon overseeing the company, another indication the Bills are not inclined to bring anyone new into the organization — once again, very Raider-ish."

He basically kills the hiring here, and the quote above is pretty damning and something we all know is true.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-Bills-take-Raiderish-route-5686.html

elltrain22
01-19-2010, 10:31 AM
First off, he's right to a certain extent, but I think he's po'ed at the Bills for making him look dumb, when he sat here and said the Bills "had there guy" 2 weeks ago. Also, if Gailey can turn the Bills into a 9 or 10 win team, they'll all change their tune.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-19-2010, 10:39 AM
I agree with his sentiment.

When I think of wholesale changes, I want young coaches who wants to make their own mark in NFL, not re-cycled HCs. But that's not how Ralph thinks.

I like Chan Gailey -- as an OC. Supposedly Marlarkey got his system from this guy and added more crazy stuff to it. He just never struck me as a HC; I was really shocked when Jerry Jones actually hired him away to the Cowboys. There is only so few technicians like Belichick who turn out to be great HCs, and I don't think Gailey is one.

So the staff Cowher was assembling is Chan Gailey. Maybe there is something to the grapevine that I heard from my agency working friend that Cowher wanted an essentially one year deal with the Bills (with out clauses), but he's bringing guys like Gailey who will easily take over after him. Of course the Bills would have no interest in that (to pay Cowher $10 mil for one year service).

Dicknoze69
01-19-2010, 10:44 AM
I think the most relevant statement is this:

"Logically, I don’t have a problem believing that fixing your offense will help you improve, but what the Bills need is a leader. They need change, not a play caller, and this is where I disconnect with their decision."

He's right, we hired a play caller where we needed a leader for our football team.

baalworship
01-19-2010, 11:48 AM
He also mentioned in article that Scott Pioli was considering hiring Gailey as HC in KC but couldn't figure out how to market it. Sound familiar? I would rather the Bills hire a guy that knows football and figure out how to market it later than vice-versa.

Dicknoze69
01-19-2010, 11:50 AM
He also mentioned in article that Scott Pioli was considering hiring Gailey as HC in KC but couldn't figure out how to market it. Sound familiar? I would rather the Bills hire a guy that knows football and figure out how to market it later than vice-versa.

Yeah that's the glimmer of hope in the article. However, the Patriots during Pioli's years never catered to the media and if Pioli truly thought he was going to be a good head coach, he would have hired him, media consequences be damned. I personally think it's a bit of revisionist history by Lombardi.

DraftBoy
01-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Ill be honest, I really wanted Lombardi to be our GM behind DeCosta.

Dicknoze69
01-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Ill be honest, I really wanted Lombardi to be our GM behind DeCosta.

I think he would have been a solid hire. I'm not sure he'd come here though.