PDA

View Full Version : What do you have to say about Vanek now?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-19-2008, 11:27 PM
All you naysayers of Vanek (and you know who you are so don't deny it!)

Lets see...
you said that he's lazy
you chewed him up and spit him out
you said he couldn't score

Well what do you have to say now he's got 31goals not to mention he had 43 goals last season

OpIv37
03-19-2008, 11:33 PM
hey had one good month plus one good game.

Going into tonight, he had 2 points in the last 9 games.

you're living in the moment and not taking his full season into account. BTW, unless he gets 12 points in the next 8 games, he's BEHIND where he was last year. Considering he's only averaged .42 points per game, it's highly unlikely that he's going to triple that and average 1.5 ppg over the last 8. He's supposed to be the new leader, but he's behind where he was last year- instead of taking charge, he's regressing.

Please think before posting next time.

Philagape
03-20-2008, 12:17 AM
I say if he didn't tank the first half of the season, maybe we wouldn't be on the outside looking in right now.

mchurchfie
03-20-2008, 12:20 AM
I was at the game tonight. Other than finally living up to his big contract and earning his money in the third period he was absolutely pitiful just like the rest of the team for two thirds of the game so I wouldn't let your nipples get too hard over him.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Why do people have to say things like this? The guy has been a big disapointment this year. All money aside and what he should be doing, he has to be better than he was this season. I don't think it is wrong for people to want big things from Vanek.

SabreEleven
03-20-2008, 10:09 AM
What do I have to say about Vanek? It is about time he showed up.

SabreEleven
03-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Why do people have to say things like this? The guy has been a big disapointment this year. All money aside and what he should be doing, he has to be better than he was this season. I don't think it is wrong for people to want big things from Vanek.

It isn't people, it is LW, did you expect anything else?

clumping platelets
03-20-2008, 10:30 AM
He is lazy...............he was terrible in the second period

All we want is consistency............play harder on defense

Jan Reimers
03-20-2008, 10:56 AM
He's a streaky scorer who will give you games like last night. But not every night.

RockStar36
03-20-2008, 11:17 AM
For the sake of argument, Op, how many "good months" did he have last year? It's only fair.

SabreEleven
03-20-2008, 12:01 PM
He's a streaky scorer who will give you games like last night. But not every night.

Just like Satan.

raphael120
03-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Ovechkins worse night is about par to how we usually see Vanek. Vanek is a dull bulb so far that flickers bright sometimes but then fades out all over again.

Michael82
03-20-2008, 05:00 PM
We should have taken the draft picks. :snicker:

JD
03-20-2008, 05:21 PM
He is very Satan-ish.. shows up for a quarter of the season, while disappearing for the rest :sadwalk:

OpIv37
03-20-2008, 05:41 PM
For the sake of argument, Op, how many "good months" did he have last year? It's only fair.

Vanek actually got BETTER as the season went on last year. I remember I thought he was a weak link at the beginning of the season, but after the new year he went on a tear.

This year, he started slow and when he heated up in February, I had some hope for him. But then he cooled off again in March. Like several people already said, he's streaky and he doesn't put in a full season. At times he doesn't put in a full game.

To be fair, it's not entirely his fault. The FO is trying to use him like a Drury or an Ovechkin or a Crosby/Malkin and he's simply not that caliber of player. But LW is still dead wrong- Vanek is behind where he was last year and has not stepped up the way his contract and role on the team suggests he should.

SabreEleven
03-20-2008, 05:54 PM
but he folded like a cheap suit in the playoffs last year....

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Someone told me this stat about Vanek today. 17 of his goals were against teams that are not currently in the playoffs. I am not trying to say anything negative or positive, just thought that was a little interesting.

Dr. Lecter
03-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Someone told me this stat about Vanek today. 17 of his goals were against teams that are not currently in the playoffs. I am not trying to say anything negative or positive, just thought that was a little interesting.

That makes sense. About half of goals and about half of the teams make the playoffs.

Nighthawk
03-20-2008, 09:41 PM
hey had one good month plus one good game.

Going into tonight, he had 2 points in the last 9 games.

you're living in the moment and not taking his full season into account. BTW, unless he gets 12 points in the next 8 games, he's BEHIND where he was last year. Considering he's only averaged .42 points per game, it's highly unlikely that he's going to triple that and average 1.5 ppg over the last 8. He's supposed to be the new leader, but he's behind where he was last year- instead of taking charge, he's regressing.

Please think before posting next time.

Losman has a tendency not to understand things...

Typ0
03-20-2008, 10:19 PM
You folks are nuts. The Sabres are a top knotch club and there is not a whole lot of reasonable comparison between Vanek and Satan.

JD
03-21-2008, 02:00 AM
Sarcasm right?

Typ0
03-21-2008, 05:58 AM
not at all. It's BS to compare Vanek to Satan.

SabreEleven
03-21-2008, 06:33 AM
You folks are nuts. The Sabres are a top knotch club and there is not a whole lot of reasonable comparison between Vanek and Satan.
If you mean top "notch" club who is goes on serious losing streaks through out the year and fighting for thier playoff lives with a very realistic chance of NOT making the playoffs, then Yes, they are a top notch club. IF a top notch club was leading the league in scoring, they should be fighting for home ice advantage not for their playoff lives. "Top Notch Club", now that is funny.

Satan vs. Vanek. Both European, both make boat load of money, both show up occasionally in a game, both are very streaky, both seem very moody. Vanek isn't Satan yet but with 7 year contract in his hip pocket, he is well on his way. He'll be a New York Islander in less than 3 years, ok, maybe 4.

Buffatexas
03-21-2008, 06:52 AM
And it seems the worse teams bring out the best in Vanek. For what he is making he needs to be a hell of a lot more consistent. The cream is definately not rising in this case.

As far as comparing Vanek to Satan, you have different linemates and too many intangibles to really compare the two. All I can say if Thomas' last name was Jesus, this thread would become way too funny.

Jan Reimers
03-21-2008, 07:27 AM
I think Vanek is both a better player and goal scorer than Satan, but he does have that streakiness in common.

THATHURMANATOR
03-21-2008, 08:53 AM
All you naysayers of Vanek (and you know who you are so don't deny it!)

Lets see...
you said that he's lazy
you chewed him up and spit him out
you said he couldn't score

Well what do you have to say now he's got 31goals not to mention he had 43 goals last season
I have been behind Vanek the whole time.

Typ0
03-21-2008, 09:35 AM
If you mean top "notch" club who is goes on serious losing streaks through out the year and fighting for thier playoff lives with a very realistic chance of NOT making the playoffs, then Yes, they are a top notch club. IF a top notch club was leading the league in scoring, they should be fighting for home ice advantage not for their playoff lives. "Top Notch Club", now that is funny.

Satan vs. Vanek. Both European, both make boat load of money, both show up occasionally in a game, both are very streaky, both seem very moody. Vanek isn't Satan yet but with 7 year contract in his hip pocket, he is well on his way. He'll be a New York Islander in less than 3 years, ok, maybe 4.

I mean top notch club from top to bottom. I believe they are built right and just going through some change right now. I'm not worried. They've gotten up towards the top before and they will ascend there again.

Satan is a veteran player with a very bad me attitude. Don't think it's fair at all to put that on Vanek. Give the kid a year or two to mature and see if he grows into his role on this team before you throw him away as the garbage Satan is.

Buffatexas
03-21-2008, 09:59 AM
I mean top notch club from top to bottom. I believe they are built right and just going through some change right now. I'm not worried. They've gotten up towards the top before and they will ascend there again.

Satan is a veteran player with a very bad me attitude. Don't think it's fair at all to put that on Vanek. Give the kid a year or two to mature and see if he grows into his role on this team before you throw him away as the garbage Satan is.

I think that they were "built right" a year ago, but when you get beat not only in the game but physically punished like Ottawa did to us in the EC Finals, you have to get bigger. We sat idle and did not get bigger and now look at us.

Typ0
03-21-2008, 10:40 AM
I think that they were "built right" a year ago, but when you get beat not only in the game but physically punished like Ottawa did to us in the EC Finals, you have to get bigger. We sat idle and did not get bigger and now look at us.

and we trounced Ottawa the year before too. Too much wining about how good we were last year and how bad we are this year. That's my point. The organization is built well for the long-haul and will rise up again. The real question should be whether or not the players are willing to come and play here if you ask me not how committed this team is to winning.

Buffatexas
03-21-2008, 10:50 AM
and we trounced Ottawa the year before too. Too much wining about how good we were last year and how bad we are this year. That's my point. The organization is built well for the long-haul and will rise up again. The real question should be whether or not the players are willing to come and play here if you ask me not how committed this team is to winning.

I think that this edition of the team would do as well, IF it was last year. Unfortunately, the speed game, which we excel at, is changing. Teams are getting bigger. They are crashing the net more and are not hesitant to get in the way of shooters. I do not see the Sabs doing that. We lack size and strength. I would say that if we make some key moves in the offseason to bulk up, then we will be in a lot better shape

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-21-2008, 11:58 AM

Vanek is Austrian not European

Buffatexas
03-21-2008, 12:14 PM

Tell me, just where do you think Austria is located?

SabreEleven
03-21-2008, 12:27 PM

Ok, Kelly Pickler

Philagape
03-21-2008, 01:30 PM

:spit:

That post should put this thread in the HOF

Philagape
03-21-2008, 02:10 PM
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7396/austria1ci8.gif

Buffatexas
03-21-2008, 02:23 PM

I think you meant this :)

Philagape
03-21-2008, 02:25 PM
:doh:

THATHURMANATOR
03-21-2008, 04:03 PM
not at all. It's BS to compare Vanek to Satan.
I agree. It is plain ******ed. Satan was a pussy who would cost around the outside never giving up anything to fight to the front of the net. Vanek lives in that area and is constantly battling. I will agree that he needs to be less streaky but I don't buy the fact that he is a defensive liability. He was a +40 last year for christ sakes. I think that Giant contract he signed made him press WAAY to hard early and it showed. He will be fine.

I saw someone compare him to Ovechkin. WHY? Whats the point. Ovechkin is the best player in the league.

THATHURMANATOR
03-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Dumbest post in zone history.

OpIv37
03-21-2008, 04:41 PM

You're insane.

A lot of the "young" guys were part of the last two playoff runs, yet you still think they need more experience? You still think they're going to get better? That's illogical.

We have a lot of guys who are due to be FA's after '09, and I'm partially hoping for an off-season fire sale. Keep Hecht, Roy, Pominville, Tallinder, Paille and Kaleta (the last two on potential), maybe Vanek and maybe Miller. Entertain trade offers for everyone else but only bite if the right offer comes along.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-21-2008, 05:18 PM
:rofl:

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-21-2008, 05:18 PM
:spit:

Nighthawk
03-21-2008, 05:37 PM
I think it is very reasonable to compare Vanek to Satan. However, they're not 100% alike. As Thurm stated, Vanek will go to the front of the net and give up his body to make plays. On the other hand, he will not take a guy on in the corners or throw a check...just like Satan. He also is very similar to Satan in his work ethic. Both players play when they want to and do not skate hard all the time. So, yes...these players do have similarities.

JD
03-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Vanek goes in front of the net.
Satan does not

Satan has a hard slapshot
Vanek does not

Aside from those differences, they're basically the first human clones

Michael82
03-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Vanek goes in front of the net.
Satan does not

Satan has a hard slapshot
Vanek does not

Aside from those differences, they're basically the first human clones
Well, Satan never got $11 million for one season.... :ill:

JD
03-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Well, Satan never got $11 million for one season.... :ill:
Well thats not Vaneks fault. I would have accepted the offer sheet if I was garaunteed that money, too.

Crisis
03-25-2008, 03:15 AM
LOL!!!!!

how could i miss this

someone is about to unseat the great paladin warrior in my sig

lordofgun
03-25-2008, 05:20 AM
ROFL

Michael82
03-25-2008, 09:27 AM
LOL!!!!!

how could i miss this

:rofl: That took a lot of effort....didn't it?

JD
03-25-2008, 04:15 PM
LOL!!!!!

how could i miss this

Wait.. he was serious?

:roflmao:

Michael82
03-26-2008, 12:03 AM
I still think they should have said No Deal and taken all the draft picks from Edmonton. :sigh:

JD
03-26-2008, 12:18 PM
I still think they should have said No Deal and taken all the draft picks from Edmonton. :sigh:
Definitely, just think how stacked our farm team would be. What was it, 4 number one picks?? lol.. compare that to vanek, ahhhhhhhhhhhhahahahaha

Michael82
03-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Definitely, just think how stacked our farm team would be. What was it, 4 number one picks?? lol.. compare that to vanek, ahhhhhhhhhhhhahahahaha
plus we are desperate. I don't give a **** what anyone says, our farm system is pretty damn dry. We could have used those 4 number ones. :sigh:

JD
03-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Judging our farm system, wouldnt we just have to look at the Amerks in the standings? Now I'll be honest I dont follow them much at all but arent they doing quite poor this year?

CuseJetsFan83
03-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Judging our farm system, wouldnt we just have to look at the Amerks in the standings? Now I'll be honest I dont follow them much at all but arent they doing quite poor this year?

sabres have only put in a portion of rochester players... a majority of them are either amerks exclusive, or panthers property....

JD
03-26-2008, 03:15 PM
sabres have only put in a portion of rochester players... a majority of them are either amerks exclusive, or panthers property....
Just seemed when we would bring up players the last few years, the amerks would lose the following game without them..

CuseJetsFan83
03-27-2008, 03:38 AM
Just seemed when we would bring up players the last few years, the amerks would lose the following game without them..

see the problem with rochester for floridas sake would be distance.... their echl team is in florida, and sometimes they would purposely send them down to the ECHL just to make the trip shorter...

the biggest skill players for rochester were def. buffalo property, unless they were amerks only property (ahl contracts)

JD
03-27-2008, 02:50 PM
How much do players make in the AHL anyway.. or do they not get paid?

I know someone playing for the Blue Jackets farm club but I think its just an AHL contract for now..

CuseJetsFan83
03-28-2008, 02:39 AM
How much do players make in the AHL anyway.. or do they not get paid?

I know someone playing for the Blue Jackets farm club but I think its just an AHL contract for now..

depends, if its the NHL team having them on an ahl exclusive contract it ranges from 50-100k

Dozerdog
12-07-2008, 08:42 AM

OK- we know the country of Aust. is in Europe, but where is Austria?

SabreEleven
04-14-2009, 04:46 PM

Are the Sabres still top notch?

Typ0
04-14-2009, 04:50 PM
they are a lot better if they are substituting Vanek for Satan.

SabreEleven
04-14-2009, 04:55 PM
An Austrian for a European? Won't work.