• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mudflap1
    Next Question!
    • Nov 2004

Let's debunk some of the reasons people are rationalizing Chan Gailey

We are already starting to see the rationalizing by some fans trying to stay positive about Chan Gailey. The reasons why these fans are trying to talk themselves into this being a positive hire range from bad logic, denial, desperation to believe somehow the Bills will get better, settling, and just plain idiocracy. I would like to debunk a couple of these illogical statements right here.

Statement #1 - "Chan Gailey has a winning record as head coach."

So do Mike Martz, Jim Fassel, and Brian Billick, to name a few. At least two of them were not called, possibly all three. All three have coached in Super Bowls as head coaches. All three have gone to the playoffs numerous times. Some might say "well, Martz inherited a great team from Vermeil". Well, Chan Gailey inherited a great team from Barry Switzer/Jimmy Johnson. I wonder how Dick Jauron would've done the last couple of years with a star-studded offensive line, Hall of Fame QB, and the NFL's all time leading rusher as his tailback? Probably would've won a couple more games himself. I am not a fan of Martz or Fassel myself, but my point is, they would've been huge upgrades over Gailey. Billick, a Super Bowl winning head coach, would've been an even bigger upgrade.

Statement #2 - "Let's not get too up in arms as a fanbase until we see who Chan Gailey hires as his assistants."

Nobody wanted to come to Buffalo. Leslie Frazier, whom the fans were largely up in arms against, decided he didn't want to come here. Perry Fewell took a job somewhere else. If nobody wanted to come to Buffalo to be the head coach, and Gailey is a retread hire whom nobody else in the league had on their staff, what are the chances Gailey is going to hire top notch assistants to come to Buffalo to be his underlings? Oh yeah, Ralph is cheap too. Chances are slim to none.

Statement #3 - "Chan Gailey has a lot of experience."

Why is he not on a staff right now? Why does he get fired every 1-3 years? Why can't this guy hold a job? Why are the Bears the only team out there that have even speculated he could be worthy of being an assistant coach for them? Again, the guys listed in #1 have a lot of experience too.

Bottom line - I do not hate Chan Gailey, I hate the Bills for hiring him. But let's not talk ourselves into this hire. It blows on every level. I would've tolerated Gailey being hired as offensive coordinator for a really good head coach, but not as the guy running the show. Nobody in the NFL or college football wanted this guy as an assistant coach, let alone head coach. This is a horrific move, and the fans are being further abused for their loyalty.
    Last edited by Mudflap1; 01-19-2010, 12:28 PM.
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: Let's debunk some of the reasons people are rationalizing Chan Gailey

Why debunk? Should we just stay pissed and angry because they didn't hire Cowher? I don't go through life pissed and angry - it gets you nowhere.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• ChanGailey
      Veteran Zoner
      • Jan 2010

I don't hate you either.

Comment

• Mudflap1
        Next Question!
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Ebenezer
        Why debunk? Should we just stay pissed and angry because they didn't hire Cowher? I don't go through life pissed and angry - it gets you nowhere.
        It's not about Bill Cowher. Getting Bill Cowher was always an uphill battle. It's the fans showing blind faith and being sheep that has got to stop. Stop the addiction!

Comment

• Dicknoze69
          Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mudflap1

It cracks me up when people point to his college W-L record as a reason to hire him. Five of his six seasons at GT ended with 7-6 or 7-5 seasons which are mediocre and ultimately led to him getting fired.

I just feel like we could have done so much better than hiring Chan Gailey.

God give me style and give me grace
          God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• Mudflap1
            Next Question!
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Dicknoze69
            It cracks me up when people point to his college W-L record as a reason to hire him. Five of his six seasons at GT ended with 7-6 or 7-5 seasons which are mediocre and ultimately led to him getting fired.

Exactly.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
              • Jul 2002

I mean I hate Billick to no end, but you're telling me that Gailey's credentials are superior to Billick's? Really?

Same logic applies to Martz and Fassel. Their resumes are just flat-out better, and we went with Gailey instead without doing our due diligence.

Comment

• elltrain22
                • Sep 2003

We are already starting to see the rationalizing by some fans trying to stay positive about Chan Gailey. The reasons why these fans are trying to talk themselves into this being a positive hire range from bad logic, denial, desperation to believe somehow the Bills will get better, settling, and just plain idiocracy. I would like to debunk a couple of these illogical statements right here.

So do Mike Martz, Jim Fassel, and Brian Billick, to name a few. At least two of them were not called, possibly all three. All three have coached in Super Bowls as head coaches. All three have gone to the playoffs numerous times. Some might say "well, Martz inherited a great team from Vermeil". Well, Chan Gailey inherited a great team from Barry Switzer/Jimmy Johnson. I wonder how Dick Jauron would've done the last couple of years with a star-studded offensive line, Hall of Fame QB, and the NFL's all time leading rusher as his tailback? Probably would've won a couple more games himself. I am not a fan of Martz or Fassel myself, but my point is, they would've been huge upgrades over Gailey. Billick, a Super Bowl winning head coach, would've been an even bigger upgrade.

Statement #2 - "Let's not get too up in arms as a fanbase until we see who Chan Gailey hires as his assistants."

Nobody wanted to come to Buffalo. Leslie Frazier, whom the fans were largely up in arms against, decided he didn't want to come here. Perry Fewell took a job somewhere else. If nobody wanted to come to Buffalo to be the head coach, and Gailey is a retread hire whom nobody else in the league had on their staff, what are the chances Gailey is going to hire top notch assistants to come to Buffalo to be his underlings? Oh yeah, Ralph is cheap too. Chances are slim to none.

Why is he not on a staff right now? Why does he get fired every 1-3 years? Why can't this guy hold a job? Why are the Bears the only team out there that have even speculated he could be worthy of being an assistant coach for them? Again, the guys listed in #1 have a lot of experience too.

Bottom line - I do not hate Chan Gailey, I hate the Bills for hiring him. But let's not talk ourselves into this hire. It blows on every level. I would've tolerated Gailey being hired as offensive coordinator for a really good head coach, but not as the guy running the show. Nobody in the NFL or college football wanted this guy as an assistant coach, let alone head coach. This is a horrific move, and the fans are being further abused for their loyalty.
                1. The guy has won consistently, and under multiple circumstances. His NFL track record is very impressive. His college record is suspect, but I think that alot to do w/ his ability to not recruit well. Martz, Fassel, and Billick all had good/bad seasons give or take, but Gailey has won consistently.

2. I think it's not a question of coming to Buffalo, I think good coaches attract good assistants. I think, in the end, he'll have a good staff, that are good coaches, but more importantly coaches that can teach very well.

3. he was about to be hired by Chicago as their offensive coordinator.

bottom line- yeah his name doesn't conjure up any excitement, but IMO, his track record is impressive, and I'm willing to give him a chance.
                If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by elltrain22
                  1. The guy has won consistently, and under multiple circumstances. His NFL track record is very impressive. His college record is suspect, but I think that alot to do w/ his ability to not recruit well. Martz, Fassel, and Billick all had good/bad seasons give or take, but Gailey has won consistently.

2. I think it's not a question of coming to Buffalo, I think good coaches attract good assistants. I think, in the end, he'll have a good staff, that are good coaches, but more importantly coaches that can teach very well.

bottom line- yeah his name doesn't conjure up any excitement, but IMO, his track record is impressive, and I'm willing to give him a chance.
                  Nice debunking of the debunker.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Its all true though

I'm not big on Gailey. To me he's like Wade philipps on the offensive side of the ball.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mudflap1
                      Next Question!
                      • Nov 2004

1. He had a couple of years in Dallas, and squeezed out a couple of entry-level playoff seasons with the "Team of the 90s" that had multiple Hall of Famers and Pro Bowlers on their roster. Sorry, that's not that impressive to me. His roster was stacked. You're actually going to go toe-to-toe and argue Gailey has a better head coaching track record than Billick, Martz, and Fassel? Please.

2. Then we'll see, won't we? If he hires Al Saunders as offensive coordinator, and someone like Greg Blache as defensive coordinator, I'll give the guy a little credit. I think Ralph is too cheap to pay for them. I also think that Gailey does not have the rep to attract them.

3. Link? I only saw he was a candidate. And Chicago is incompetent themselves. They are bottom feeders.
                      Last edited by Mudflap1; 01-19-2010, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                        Next Question!
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                        Nice debunking of the debunker.
                        Not so fast my friend.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

He failed in miami but thats because Wanny blew the salary cap on the defnsive side of the team
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Ebenezer
                            Give me a minute...
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dicknoze69

Who? Martz, Haslett, Shottzy? Nobody wanted Martz or Has until they hired Gailey. Shottzy isn't coming back to any team.

Who would have been better than wanted to come here? I'll give you Billick but who else?

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by elltrain22

1. That Dallas team was loaded and everyone knows it. Yeah it was old, but they had a HOFer at QB. The only reason Dallas sucked the year prior to Gailey was because Aikman couldn't stand Switzer and half the team was out doing cocaine and strippers. Gailey's best NFL performance was 15 years ago as the Steelers offensive coordinator!

2. I think we're going to see bottom of the barrel types of hires. Gailey doesn't have a reputable name to bring in top-notch coordinators. He isn't Pioli and can swing Weis/Crennel.

3. Chicago was interested, but he was NEVER even interviewed for the position. Also, they were only interested because they got turned down by like 10 other coordinators. Maybe they would have hired him, maybe he's out of the NFL. No one knows.
                              Last edited by Dicknoze69; 01-19-2010, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X