PDA

View Full Version : Let's debunk some of the reasons people are rationalizing Chan Gailey

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 12:27 PM
We are already starting to see the rationalizing by some fans trying to stay positive about Chan Gailey. The reasons why these fans are trying to talk themselves into this being a positive hire range from bad logic, denial, desperation to believe somehow the Bills will get better, settling, and just plain idiocracy. I would like to debunk a couple of these illogical statements right here.

Statement #1 - "Chan Gailey has a winning record as head coach."

So do Mike Martz, Jim Fassel, and Brian Billick, to name a few. At least two of them were not called, possibly all three. All three have coached in Super Bowls as head coaches. All three have gone to the playoffs numerous times. Some might say "well, Martz inherited a great team from Vermeil". Well, Chan Gailey inherited a great team from Barry Switzer/Jimmy Johnson. I wonder how Dick Jauron would've done the last couple of years with a star-studded offensive line, Hall of Fame QB, and the NFL's all time leading rusher as his tailback? Probably would've won a couple more games himself. I am not a fan of Martz or Fassel myself, but my point is, they would've been huge upgrades over Gailey. Billick, a Super Bowl winning head coach, would've been an even bigger upgrade.

Statement #2 - "Let's not get too up in arms as a fanbase until we see who Chan Gailey hires as his assistants."

Nobody wanted to come to Buffalo. Leslie Frazier, whom the fans were largely up in arms against, decided he didn't want to come here. Perry Fewell took a job somewhere else. If nobody wanted to come to Buffalo to be the head coach, and Gailey is a retread hire whom nobody else in the league had on their staff, what are the chances Gailey is going to hire top notch assistants to come to Buffalo to be his underlings? Oh yeah, Ralph is cheap too. Chances are slim to none.

Statement #3 - "Chan Gailey has a lot of experience."

Why is he not on a staff right now? Why does he get fired every 1-3 years? Why can't this guy hold a job? Why are the Bears the only team out there that have even speculated he could be worthy of being an assistant coach for them? Again, the guys listed in #1 have a lot of experience too.

Bottom line - I do not hate Chan Gailey, I hate the Bills for hiring him. But let's not talk ourselves into this hire. It blows on every level. I would've tolerated Gailey being hired as offensive coordinator for a really good head coach, but not as the guy running the show. Nobody in the NFL or college football wanted this guy as an assistant coach, let alone head coach. This is a horrific move, and the fans are being further abused for their loyalty.

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Why debunk? Should we just stay pissed and angry because they didn't hire Cowher? I don't go through life pissed and angry - it gets you nowhere.

ChanGailey
01-19-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't hate you either.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Why debunk? Should we just stay pissed and angry because they didn't hire Cowher? I don't go through life pissed and angry - it gets you nowhere.

It's not about Bill Cowher. Getting Bill Cowher was always an uphill battle. It's the fans showing blind faith and being sheep that has got to stop. Stop the addiction!

Dicknoze69
01-19-2010, 12:31 PM

It cracks me up when people point to his college W-L record as a reason to hire him. Five of his six seasons at GT ended with 7-6 or 7-5 seasons which are mediocre and ultimately led to him getting fired.

I just feel like we could have done so much better than hiring Chan Gailey.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 12:32 PM
It cracks me up when people point to his college W-L record as a reason to hire him. Five of his six seasons at GT ended with 7-6 or 7-5 seasons which are mediocre and ultimately led to him getting fired.

Exactly.

Dicknoze69
01-19-2010, 12:34 PM
I mean I hate Billick to no end, but you're telling me that Gailey's credentials are superior to Billick's? Really?

Same logic applies to Martz and Fassel. Their resumes are just flat-out better, and we went with Gailey instead without doing our due diligence.

elltrain22
01-19-2010, 12:35 PM
We are already starting to see the rationalizing by some fans trying to stay positive about Chan Gailey. The reasons why these fans are trying to talk themselves into this being a positive hire range from bad logic, denial, desperation to believe somehow the Bills will get better, settling, and just plain idiocracy. I would like to debunk a couple of these illogical statements right here.

So do Mike Martz, Jim Fassel, and Brian Billick, to name a few. At least two of them were not called, possibly all three. All three have coached in Super Bowls as head coaches. All three have gone to the playoffs numerous times. Some might say "well, Martz inherited a great team from Vermeil". Well, Chan Gailey inherited a great team from Barry Switzer/Jimmy Johnson. I wonder how Dick Jauron would've done the last couple of years with a star-studded offensive line, Hall of Fame QB, and the NFL's all time leading rusher as his tailback? Probably would've won a couple more games himself. I am not a fan of Martz or Fassel myself, but my point is, they would've been huge upgrades over Gailey. Billick, a Super Bowl winning head coach, would've been an even bigger upgrade.

Statement #2 - "Let's not get too up in arms as a fanbase until we see who Chan Gailey hires as his assistants."

Nobody wanted to come to Buffalo. Leslie Frazier, whom the fans were largely up in arms against, decided he didn't want to come here. Perry Fewell took a job somewhere else. If nobody wanted to come to Buffalo to be the head coach, and Gailey is a retread hire whom nobody else in the league had on their staff, what are the chances Gailey is going to hire top notch assistants to come to Buffalo to be his underlings? Oh yeah, Ralph is cheap too. Chances are slim to none.

Why is he not on a staff right now? Why does he get fired every 1-3 years? Why can't this guy hold a job? Why are the Bears the only team out there that have even speculated he could be worthy of being an assistant coach for them? Again, the guys listed in #1 have a lot of experience too.

Bottom line - I do not hate Chan Gailey, I hate the Bills for hiring him. But let's not talk ourselves into this hire. It blows on every level. I would've tolerated Gailey being hired as offensive coordinator for a really good head coach, but not as the guy running the show. Nobody in the NFL or college football wanted this guy as an assistant coach, let alone head coach. This is a horrific move, and the fans are being further abused for their loyalty.

1. The guy has won consistently, and under multiple circumstances. His NFL track record is very impressive. His college record is suspect, but I think that alot to do w/ his ability to not recruit well. Martz, Fassel, and Billick all had good/bad seasons give or take, but Gailey has won consistently.

2. I think it's not a question of coming to Buffalo, I think good coaches attract good assistants. I think, in the end, he'll have a good staff, that are good coaches, but more importantly coaches that can teach very well.

3. he was about to be hired by Chicago as their offensive coordinator.

bottom line- yeah his name doesn't conjure up any excitement, but IMO, his track record is impressive, and I'm willing to give him a chance.

Jan Reimers
01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
1. The guy has won consistently, and under multiple circumstances. His NFL track record is very impressive. His college record is suspect, but I think that alot to do w/ his ability to not recruit well. Martz, Fassel, and Billick all had good/bad seasons give or take, but Gailey has won consistently.

2. I think it's not a question of coming to Buffalo, I think good coaches attract good assistants. I think, in the end, he'll have a good staff, that are good coaches, but more importantly coaches that can teach very well.

bottom line- yeah his name doesn't conjure up any excitement, but IMO, his track record is impressive, and I'm willing to give him a chance.
Nice debunking of the debunker.

justasportsfan
01-19-2010, 12:39 PM

Its all true though

I'm not big on Gailey. To me he's like Wade philipps on the offensive side of the ball.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 12:40 PM
1. He had a couple of years in Dallas, and squeezed out a couple of entry-level playoff seasons with the "Team of the 90s" that had multiple Hall of Famers and Pro Bowlers on their roster. Sorry, that's not that impressive to me. His roster was stacked. You're actually going to go toe-to-toe and argue Gailey has a better head coaching track record than Billick, Martz, and Fassel? Please.

2. Then we'll see, won't we? If he hires Al Saunders as offensive coordinator, and someone like Greg Blache as defensive coordinator, I'll give the guy a little credit. I think Ralph is too cheap to pay for them. I also think that Gailey does not have the rep to attract them.

3. Link? I only saw he was a candidate. And Chicago is incompetent themselves. They are bottom feeders.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Nice debunking of the debunker.

Not so fast my friend.

justasportsfan
01-19-2010, 12:43 PM
He failed in miami but thats because Wanny blew the salary cap on the defnsive side of the team

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 12:44 PM

Who? Martz, Haslett, Shottzy? Nobody wanted Martz or Has until they hired Gailey. Shottzy isn't coming back to any team.

Who would have been better than wanted to come here? I'll give you Billick but who else?

Dicknoze69
01-19-2010, 12:45 PM

1. That Dallas team was loaded and everyone knows it. Yeah it was old, but they had a HOFer at QB. The only reason Dallas sucked the year prior to Gailey was because Aikman couldn't stand Switzer and half the team was out doing cocaine and strippers. Gailey's best NFL performance was 15 years ago as the Steelers offensive coordinator!

2. I think we're going to see bottom of the barrel types of hires. Gailey doesn't have a reputable name to bring in top-notch coordinators. He isn't Pioli and can swing Weis/Crennel.

3. Chicago was interested, but he was NEVER even interviewed for the position. Also, they were only interested because they got turned down by like 10 other coordinators. Maybe they would have hired him, maybe he's out of the NFL. No one knows.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 12:45 PM
He failed in miami but thats because Wanny blew the salary cap on the defnsive side of the team

Wow! So you mean that Gailey failed as a coordinator when he had a crappy head coach above him, but had success when he had a good head coach and good players, ala Cowher in Pittsburgh? What a concept!

This guy is in way over his head boys. This franchise needs a leader to change the culture, not another retread that was a serviceable underling to good head coaches, and unsuccessful when he had to build something on his own.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 12:46 PM
1. That Dallas team was loaded and everyone knows it. Yeah it was old, but they had a HOFer at QB. The only reason Dallas sucked the year prior to Gailey was because Aikman couldn't stand Switzer and half the team was out doing cocaine and strippers. His best NFL performance was 15 years ago as the Steelers offensive coordinator!

2. I think we're going to see bottom of the barrel types of hires. Gailey doesn't have a reputable name to bring in top-notch coordinators. He isn't Pioli and can swing Weis/Crennel.

3. Chicago was interested, but he was NEVER even interviewed for the position. Also, they were only interested because they got turned down by like 10 other coordinators. Maybe they would have hired him, maybe he's out of the NFL. No one knows.

Right on brother!

Dicknoze69
01-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Who? Martz, Haslett, Shottzy? Nobody wanted Martz or Has until they hired Gailey. Shottzy isn't coming back to any team.

Who would have been better than wanted to come here? I'll give you Billick but who else?

Billick and Fassel's resumes both trump Gailey's by a wide margin. You could make an argument for Haslett if you took out the Katrina year where they didn't have a home. Martz even has a better track record, but I think he would have been a disaster on par with Gailey. Gailey's past performances aren't better than those guys.

Besides that, we need a leader for our team, and we hired a play caller instead.

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Billick and Fassel's resumes both trump Gailey's by a wide margin. You could make an argument for Haslett if you took out the Katrina year where they didn't have a home. Martz even has a better track record, but I think he would have been a disaster on par with Gailey. Gailey's past performances aren't better than those guys.

Besides that, we need a leader for our team, and we hired a play caller instead.

I am not disagreeing but go back to my point...nobody really wanted those other guys. Find me more than the odd post where people wanted Has or Martz. billick was the only name that sat well with fans...could they have done better? probably? would any of us had done better? no.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 12:50 PM

Those guys would've been better. They aren't who I would've wanted to hire, but they would've been better.

Realistic hires that would've been satisfactory at this point? Billick, Frazier (wouldn't have been my first choice, but would've been better), Grimm (if he was even still interested), Garrett (if interested), heck CHARLIE WEIS (who I don't like at all for a head coaching candidate) has a better track record!

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 12:52 PM
I am not disagreeing but go back to my point...nobody really wanted those other guys. Find me more than the odd post where people wanted Has or Martz. billick was the only name that sat well with fans...could they have done better? probably? would any of us had done better? no.

Then it all comes back to the real point of all this... I don't blame Chan Gailey. I blame the Buffalo Bills for being so inept, disgraceful, and having such a rancid reputation in the NFL that nobody worth anything wants to come here to be the head coach.

Dicknoze69

You're right, no one here wanted those guys. But I'm fairly comfortable saying everyone here wanted Chan Gailey less.

Ebenezer
Those guys would've been better. They aren't who I would've wanted to hire, but they would've been better.

Realistic hires that would've been satisfactory at this point? Billick, Frazier (wouldn't have been my first choice, but would've been better), Grimm (if he was even still interested), Garrett (if interested), heck CHARLIE WEIS (who I don't like at all for a head coaching candidate) has a better track record!

but look what you said..."if interested", "if interested", etc...that kind of makes the point...

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 12:53 PM
You're right, no one here wanted those guys. But I'm fairly comfortable saying everyone here wanted Chan Gailey less.

100% spot on.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 12:54 PM
but look what you said..."if interested", "if interested", etc...that kind of makes the point...

I agree that every really good candidate didn't want to come to Buffalo, with the possible exception of Brian Billick.

I don't agree that we should now, as a fanbase, talk ourselves into the fact that Chan Gailey is not that bad of a hire. He is that bad. Really bad. And, while they had serious flaws, there were better, more accomplished "retread" candidates out there.

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 12:54 PM

not disagreeing but...and I have a lot of experience in this...when you been turned down by the hot girls, and the passable girls only have a kind of interest, you got to kind of accept somebody from the middle (even the lower middle - like I did) or you are going to go to the dance with the last availabe gal or alone...you can't coach an NFL team on "alone".

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 12:56 PM
I agree that every really good candidate didn't want to come to Buffalo, with the possible exception of Brian Billick.

I don't agree that we should now, as a fanbase, talk ourselves into the fact that Chan Gailey is not that bad of a hire. He is that bad. Really bad. And, while they had serious flaws, there were better, more accomplished "retread" candidates out there.

Agreed...and that and $2 gets you coffee. See what I meant in my first post? It gets you nowhere. Dislike the hire but don't blame Gailey. Get over it and do what we have always done...hope. the only other option - go root for somebody else - I'm not doing that.

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Then it all comes back to the real point of all this... I don't blame Chan Gailey. I blame the Buffalo Bills for being so inept, disgraceful, and having such a rancid reputation in the NFL that nobody worth anything wants to come here to be the head coach.

Which many of us have said about RW since we figured it out...for me it was about 1982.

Dicknoze69
not disagreeing but...and I have a lot of experience in this...when you been turned down by the hot girls, and the passable girls only have a kind of interest, you got to kind of accept somebody from the middle (even the lower middle - like I did) or you are going to go to the dance with the last availabe gal or alone...you can't coach an NFL team on "alone".

I agree with that, but I still believe that there were more qualified candidates who would have come here. I think Frazier would have. Billick might have. Fassel would have. Haslett would have loved it.

In short, we passed over more qualified candidates who would have come here.

Mudflap1
Agreed...and that and $2 gets you coffee. See what I meant in my first post? It gets you nowhere. Dislike the hire but don't blame Gailey. Get over it and do what we have always done...bend over. the only other option - go root for somebody else - I'm not doing that.

Fixed that for you.

I can't root for anybody else. I've tried, it doesn't work. This franchise is like an incurable disease. I have to live with it.

I said right off the bad that I hate the hire, but don't hate Gailey personally for it.

And there were less rancid girls out there than Gailey...

MikeInRoch
01-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Leslie Frazier, whom the fans were largely up in arms against, decided he didn't want to come here.

Link?

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 01:00 PM
I agree with that, but I still believe that there were more qualified candidates who would have come here. I think Frazier would have. Billick might have. Fassel would have. Haslett would have loved it.

In short, we passed over more qualified candidates who would have come here.

Here's the reasons I had talked myself into Frazier:

1. You can argue about his defenses' rankings, but at least he is a coordinator on one of the best teams in the NFL... that automatically makes you someone of interest to be a head coach at some point.

2. Tony Dungy really likes him, and Dungy is very credible.

3. While nobody is thrilled with going out on a limb again on a first time head coach, there is always the promise of huge upside, because you don't know what you are going to get. You could get the next Tony Dungy, who knows. With a retread, you know what you've got, a freaking retread.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Link?

Scroll down on the BZ, there is a thread from earlier today where Peter King stated on the radio that Frazier was no longer interested.

Dicknoze69
01-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Another candidate who, according to Peter King, would have walked to Buffalo for the job, is Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. He turned that defense into pretty rock solid over the past few years.

However, we rigidly stuck to our "plan" to hire an offensive coach, even if their credentials are worse than other candidates.

Dujek
01-19-2010, 01:10 PM
1. He had a couple of years in Dallas, and squeezed out a couple of entry-level playoff seasons with the "Team of the 90s" that had multiple Hall of Famers and Pro Bowlers on their roster. Sorry, that's not that impressive to me. His roster was stacked. You're actually going to go toe-to-toe and argue Gailey has a better head coaching track record than Billick, Martz, and Fassel? Please.

The team of the decade that went 6-10 the year before he took over?

That's the bottom line, he took a team with a losing record and turned it into a playoff team. Just because you don't understand how someone who isn't a "name" coach could be a good thing for the Bills doesn't mean he won't be.

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Another candidate who, according to Peter King, would have walked to Buffalo for the job, is Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. He turned that defense into pretty rock solid over the past few years.

However, we rigidly stuck to our "plan" to hire an offensive coach, even if their credentials are worse than other candidates.

you can list people all day...and make that argument all day. if we had hired cowher some could say shanny was better, vice versa. we agree - he isn't a A, B or C list guy...being pissed goes no where...in fact, rehashing is wasting time...i'm out on this one.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 01:12 PM
The team of the decade that went 6-10 the year before he took over?

That's the bottom line, he took a team with a losing record and turned it into a playoff team. Just because you don't understand how someone who isn't a "name" coach could be a good thing for the Bills doesn't mean he won't be.

Easy there tough guy. The 'Boys were stacked. They had a Hall of Fame QB, Hall of Fame WR, Hall of Fame (all time leading rusher) at RB, star studded offensive line, and decent defense. Gailey couldn't win a playoff game.

Have you forgotten that the Cowboys were 6-10 with a chimpanzee as their head coach, and the team quit on him? Get yer facts straight.

Philagape
01-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Here's the reasons I had talked myself into Gailey:

1. You can argue about his offenses' rankings, but at least he is a coordinator on one of the best teams in the NFL... that automatically makes you someone of interest to be a head coach at some point.

2. Bill Cowher really likes him, and Cowher is very credible.

3. While nobody is thrilled with going out on a limb again on a retread, you don't know what you are going to get. You could get the next Marv Levy, who knows.

:up:

TedMock
01-19-2010, 01:21 PM
It's not about Bill Cowher. Getting Bill Cowher was always an uphill battle. It's the fans showing blind faith and being sheep that has got to stop. Stop the addiction!
You said this in another thread too. Basically, if somebody doesn't agree with your opinion they are either stupid or a blind sheep. That is so irrational. Nobody is thrilled with the hire, but we have zero control over it. No, I'm not settling either. It is what it is. I will support Gailey as I hope he succeeds - even if he's not my choice. It's not blind following either. I'm very much aware of the reality of the situation. We just have to hope for the best at this point. Also, the whole "debunking" thing only makes sense if there are inaccurate statements that you are correcting. The winning percentage of other coaches has nothing to do with his, for example. The Cowboys team he took over was aging and no longer the dynasty they were a couple of years earlier. They were 6-10 the year before he started there, so he can't be blamed for any demise. He went 10-6 and 8-8, respectively. Not great. Very average, actually. They also went on consecutive 5-win seasons after he left. I'm not sticking up for him by any stretch. I'm just saying this is not as bad a hire as some make it out to be. He was not a great head coach, but he also didn't suck as some are saying. He did consistantly have decent offenses though. I will give him that much.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 01:27 PM
You said this in another thread too. Basically, if somebody doesn't agree with your opinion they are either stupid or a blind sheep. That is so irrational. Nobody is thrilled with the hire, but we have zero control over it. No, I'm not settling either. It is what it is. I will support Gailey as I hope he succeeds - even if he's not my choice. It's not blind following either. I'm very much aware of the reality of the situation. We just have to hope for the best at this point. Also, the whole "debunking" thing only makes sense if there are inaccurate statements that you are correcting. The winning percentage of other coaches has nothing to do with his, for example. The Cowboys team he took over was aging and no longer the dynasty they were a couple of years earlier. They were 6-10 the year before he started there, so he can't be blamed for any demise. He went 10-6 and 8-8, respectively. Not great. Very average, actually. They also went on consecutive 5-win seasons after he left. I'm not sticking up for him by any stretch. I'm just saying this is not as bad a hire as some make it out to be. He was not a great head coach, but he also didn't suck as some are saying. He did consistantly have decent offenses though. I will give him that much.

So basically he's a kinda/alright/average coach on a crappy team with no management expertise? We agree!

4-12 here we come.

Dujek
01-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Easy there tough guy. The 'Boys were stacked. They had a Hall of Fame QB, Hall of Fame WR, Hall of Fame (all time leading rusher) at RB, star studded offensive line, and decent defense. Gailey couldn't win a playoff game.

Have you forgotten that the Cowboys were 6-10 with a chimpanzee as their head coach, and the team quit on him? Get yer facts straight.

You're the one who needs to take it easy, you've decided that Gailey is a bad hire based on the fact that he didn't win a SB with the Cowboys. No harm to you, but they didn't exactly light up the playoffs after they sacked him either, or did you forget that the next time they won a playoff game was two weeks ago?

Most of the "stars" you are talking about were on the downside of their careers when Gailey took the reigns of the Cowboys, and as for them quitting on the previous coach, it must say something about Gailey's ability to lead and motivate that these same prima donnas didn't quit on him and made it to the playoffs. Or do you not follow logical reasoning?

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 01:29 PM
When was Chan Gailey a coordinator on one of the best teams in the NFL... 1997?

Bill Cowher likes him... as being an assistant coach under... Bill Cowher!

Yes, we could get the next Marv Levy. We could also get the next Dick Jauron, or worse.

Philagape
01-19-2010, 01:30 PM

So they didn't quit on Gailey then. He cleaned up the mess.

And I still hear crickets chirping over the fact that they lost Irvin shortly into Gailey's second season. That left Rocket Ismail as their top receiver.
The season before that, they won the NFC East title.
Great teams lose playoff games. It happens. Every year.
Get YOUR facts straight.

Philagape
01-19-2010, 01:31 PM
When was Chan Gailey a coordinator on one of the best teams in the NFL... 1997?

Bill Cowher likes him... as being an assistant coach under... Bill Cowher!

Yes, we could get the next Marv Levy. We could also get the next Dick Jauron, or worse.

Cowher liked him as his successor.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 01:31 PM
You're the one who needs to take it easy, you've decided that Gailey is a bad hire based on the fact that he didn't win a SB with the Cowboys. No harm to you, but they didn't exactly light up the playoffs after they sacked him either, or did you forget that the next time they won a playoff game was two weeks ago?

Most of the "stars" you are talking about were on the downside of their careers when Gailey took the reigns of the Cowboys, and as for them quitting on the previous coach, it must say something about Gailey's ability to lead and motivate that these same prima donnas didn't quit on him and made it to the playoffs. Or do you not follow logical reasoning?

I follow logic reasoning. The Bills have not made the playoffs the last ten years. They just got done with a cheap hire retread for the last four years. They decided to go get another one, even though Buffalo was one of the only openings for a job this offseason. They should've had the pick of the littler. Instead, nobody wanted to come here. Guys would rather sit out and not have a job than come to Buffalo. So they hired Chan Gailey, and people like you are talking yourselves into how the Bills might end being halfway decent because of this.

"Baaaaaa... baaaaaaaa"

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Cowher liked him as his successor.

When was this? Gailey left in '97. Cowher left in 2006.

Ingtar33
01-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Link?

Frazier pulled out just before the rumor about Gailey broke yesterday (I heard this rumor today). I have a feeling that he called the Bills and said he was no longer interested which is what precipitated this hiring.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 01:34 PM
So they didn't quit on Gailey then. He cleaned up the mess.

And I still hear crickets chirping over the fact that they lost Irvin shortly into Gailey's second season. That left Rocket Ismail as their top receiver.
The season before that, they won the NFC East title.
Great teams lose playoff games. It happens. Every year.
Get YOUR facts straight.

Dude, why do you love this guy so much? What has he done since 2000? He was OC on Miami. They weren't that good. He then went to GT, and they weren't very good. Then he went to K.C. on a crap team. After that, nobody wanted him.

Yet, for some reason I'm the illogical one, but guys like you are happy with this hire? This guy wasn't sought after to be an offensive coordinator, but we should all be pleased he is the head coach and is going to make this team a winner?

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Frazier pulled out just before the rumor about Gailey broke yesterday (I heard this rumor today). I have a feeling that he called the Bills and said he was no longer interested which is what precipitated this hiring.

...and that is what I really want to know...the timeline. Was this a knee jerk reaction to being turned down by Frazier or was Frazier a smokescreen or what...but we will never know.

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Dude, why do you love this guy so much? What has he done since 2000? He was OC on Miami. They weren't that good. He then went to GT, and they weren't very good. Then he went to K.C. on a crap team. After that, nobody wanted him.

Yet, for some reason I'm the illogical one, but guys like you are happy with this hire? This guy wasn't sought after to be an offensive coordinator, but we should all be pleased he is the head coach and is going to make this team a winner?

Mud, stop putting words in people's mouths...none of us are giddy over the hire...some are just trying to be positive...you got your vote...you hate the hire, think the guy will fail and wanted somebody else...understood.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 01:36 PM
...and that is what I really want to know...the timeline. Was this a knee jerk reaction to being turned down by Frazier or was Frazier a smokescreen or what...but we will never know.

I agree. I'd like to know this too.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Mud, stop putting words in people's mouths...none of us are giddy over the hire...some are just trying to be positive...you got your vote...you hate the hire, think the guy will fail and wanted somebody else...understood.

I'm on the same page with you at this point... it's others that are acting like the Bills might be winners again with this hire.

Dujek
01-19-2010, 01:38 PM
I follow logic reasoning. The Bills have not made the playoffs the last ten years. They just got done with a cheap hire retread for the last four years. They decided to go get another one, even though Buffalo was one of the only openings for a job this offseason. They should've had the pick of the littler. Instead, nobody wanted to come here. Guys would rather sit out and not have a job than come to Buffalo. So they hired Chan Gailey, and people like you are talking yourselves into how the Bills might end being halfway decent because of this.

"Baaaaaa... baaaaaaaa"

No, people like me are willing to give a guy who has been a successful coach in the past the benefit of the doubt, and not just throw him under the bus because we didn't pick up the "name" coach everyone was calling for.

I certainly don't believe Gailey is any sort of messiah, and he more than likely won't lead the Bills to a championship, but he knows how to win football games, and that is a valuable commodity.

Belittling people who make valid, reasoned points for not throwing the new coach under the bus by calling them sheep reflects badly on you.

Philagape
01-19-2010, 01:38 PM

I neither like nor dislike him or the hire. But the drunk, ignorant tantrums are insane even for this place.
And he was sought as an OC, by the Bears.

Philagape
01-19-2010, 01:40 PM
When was this? Gailey left in '97. Cowher left in 2006.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07014/753748-66.stm

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 01:41 PM
I neither like nor dislike him or the hire. But the drunk, ignorant tantrums are insane even for this place.
And he was sought as an OC, by the Bears.

I wish I was drunk...

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 01:41 PM
No, people like me are willing to give a guy who has been a successful coach in the past the benefit of the doubt, and not just throw him under the bus because we didn't pick up the "name" coach everyone was calling for.

I certainly don't believe Gailey is any sort of messiah, and he more than likely won't lead the Bills to a championship, but he knows how to win football games, and that is a valuable commodity.

Belittling people who make valid, reasoned points for not throwing the new coach under the bus by calling them sheep reflects badly on you.

It may sound like I am settling...but I will take 9-7 with competent coaching and respectable football management at this point. NOBODY was going to come in and turn this team into a SB contender right away...I said a while back that the next coach might only be here for two or three years to right the ship for the next guy.

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 01:42 PM

:goodpost:

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 01:42 PM

Obviously, it wasn't good enough.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 01:43 PM

You started slingin' first Hoss...

TedMock
01-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Obviously, it wasn't good enough.

Aww. Sounds like somebody needs a hug.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Aww. Sounds like somebody needs a hug.

Hey man, I'm just trying to help you guys out that are going to get all excited, spend money on tickets and merchandise, then be morbidly depressed next Sept./Oct./Nov. when the Bills are the embarrassment of the AFC again. At that time, I'll be fine. I'm getting it out of my system now. I have immediate reactions. I don't take the bait, and let the Bills reel me in time after time. Get ready for a rough year in 2010.

TedMock
01-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Hey man, I'm just trying to help you guys out that are going to get all excited, spend money on tickets and merchandise, then be morbidly depressed next Sept./Oct./Nov. when the Bills are the embarrassment of the AFC again. At that time, I'll be fine. I'm getting it out of my system now. I have immediate reactions. I don't take the bait, and let the Bills reel me in time after time. Get ready for a rough year in 2010.

Thanks. I'm under no illusion that we're going to the promised land anytime soon. I don't think anybody is. I will watch the games and I will be pissed when they lose. No secret there. I think any fan will. Even you. You'll watch the games and you'll still get irritated when you see bad play. I have enough merchandise, so I don't think I'll get anything new this year. thank god. Well, maybe for the kids. We'll see. Either way, I don't expect them to be good. I will still root for them and I will still watch. I may even attend a game or two. I will give Gailey a chance as I would give anybody else...except Ralph. This mess is Ralph's fault and I don't blame Chan. He's going to come out and bust his butt and all I can do is hope it turns out well. I won't fault him unless he starts making boneheaded decisions.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks. I'm under no illusion that we're going to the promised land anytime soon. I don't think anybody is. I will watch the games and I will be pissed when they lose. No secret there. I think any fan will. Even you. You'll watch the games and you'll still get irritated when you see bad play. I have enough merchandise, so I don't think I'll get anything new this year. thank god. Well, maybe for the kids. We'll see. Either way, I don't expect them to be good. I will still root for them and I will still watch. I may even attend a game or two. I will give Gailey a chance as I would give anybody else...except Ralph. This mess is Ralph's fault and I don't blame Chan. He's going to come out and bust his butt and all I can do is hope it turns out well. I won't fault him unless he starts making boneheaded decisions.

I agree with this statement. I don't blame Chan. I blame Ralph.

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 02:01 PM
I agree with this statement. I don't blame Chan. I blame Ralph.

we all do...I take criticism for saying it all the time but he is not a HoF owner.

Oaf
01-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Why not debunk? The way the top of this organization is handled has mired us in futility no matter who gets fired below, players (Losman, McGahee, etc), coaches (Mularkey, Dick), or both. We have a right not to wag our tail and slobber everytime these guys come up w/ some new cupcake for us.

You draft based on quality, not need. Frazier, touted by many leaders that are better than our staff, would have been the smart hire. Heck, Harbaugh would have been a smarter hire but you can't erase history with a 7-figure contract (unfortunately).

90% of the time, I'm against what flap has to say, but he's spot on in not taking this hire sitting down.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 02:26 PM
90% of the time, I'm against what flap has to say, but he's spot on in not taking this hire sitting down.

Thanks, I think?

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Why not debunk? The way the top of this organization is handled has mired us in futility no matter who gets fired below, players (Losman, McGahee, etc), coaches (Mularkey, Dick), or both. We have a right not to wag our tail and slobber everytime these guys come up w/ some new cupcake for us.

You draft based on quality, not need. Frazier, touted by many leaders that are better than our staff, would have been the smart hire. Heck, Harbaugh would have been a smarter hire but you can't erase history with a 7-figure contract (unfortunately).

what are you going to do?

not buy tickets? - how many games do you go to living in chicago?

not buy merchandise? - one person doesn't matter.

not watch them? not post at Billszone?

nothing one fan can do will change anything any team does...

Oaf
01-19-2010, 05:14 PM

I know! That's why I post- to learn perspectives of those that don't agree with me, but mostly to find those that do share my perspective. By having open discussion with that set of posters, a strengthening of each of our individual perspectives will occur in the direction we started at- in this case it's proposing the support of a lack-of-support movement towards OBD.

I grew up in Buffalo during that magical time and remember what the people were like. Today, when I stay there, and even on this board, I see much more of sense of muteness towards defeat, sadness towards the "glory days", and eternal annual cycles of hope (which included me until 2008) that stifles any real accountability on OBD's part.

Let eternal optimists continue- only more losses can change their minds (like it did me). If we can turn any of that muteness, sadness, or hopelessness (as your post displays) into a demanding anger, I think it will make a difference.

HHURRICANE
01-19-2010, 05:18 PM

I think it's more than one fan.