PDA

View Full Version : Were you any less excited when they hired

Bufftp
01-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Were you any less excited when they hired Marv Levy? A lot of fans were Marv Who? Less than stellar resume, including tome in the cfl and a year the USFL with 5 years at KC and on;y one winning season, and 9-7 at that.

We really don't know how it will turn out.

Billz_fan
01-19-2010, 01:22 PM
I was good when Marv got hired. I had no issues with him. Of course he had also been an NFL head coach less than 10 years before that :laughter:

SABURZFAN
01-19-2010, 01:22 PM
i hope the doubters are proven wrong.

THATHURMANATOR
01-19-2010, 01:24 PM
I was too young to even remember the Levy Hiring.

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 01:32 PM
I pretty much remember feeling the same way about ML. It ushered in an era where upper management did everything it could to win. I don't think the Bills FO has that dedication at this time. I hope I am proven wrong. I also will not knock Gailey for that...now, his game day decisions might be a different thing.

Philagape
01-19-2010, 01:35 PM
It's a remarkably similar line of coaches ... two spectacular failures followed by a retread (who had a far worse resume than Gailey).

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 01:37 PM
It's a remarkably similar line of coaches ... two spectacular failures followed by a retread (who had a far worse resume than Gailey).

actually, MLs resume was not that bad...it was pretty par with Gailey.

Billz_fan
01-19-2010, 01:40 PM
i hope the doubters are proven wrong.

Someone has hacked Sabz account !

superbills
01-19-2010, 01:41 PM
The key difference between the two will be in how the GM does at stocking the team with quality players. Marv Levy benefited from the "Polian Machine" in an un-capped era. If Buddy Nix can be HALF the GM Polin was/is, we could be OK.

Philagape
01-19-2010, 01:44 PM
actually, MLs resume was not that bad...it was pretty par with Gailey.

Except for the difference between winning and losing.

OpIv37
01-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Were you any less excited when they hired Marv Levy? A lot of fans were Marv Who? Less than stellar resume, including tome in the cfl and a year the USFL with 5 years at KC and on;y one winning season, and 9-7 at that.

We really don't know how it will turn out.
And the trend of using the exception to prove the rule continues! Tell me, why exactly did you choose Levy as your example and not Jauron, mularkey or Williams?

BigZ
01-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Except for the difference between winning and losing.

I felt just as bad when Levy was brought in but Gailey has a much better resume and winning percentage.

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 01:49 PM
And the trend of using the exception to prove the rule continues! Tell me, why exactly did you choose Levy as your example and not Jauron, mularkey or Williams?

MM and GW were first time coaches...why compare? DJ was a loser four out of five of his seasons as HC. ML and CG are pretty much on par. But then again, you always do navigate to the negative.

Philagape
01-19-2010, 01:50 PM
The Zone would have bombed the stadium over Levy.

Bufftp
01-19-2010, 01:51 PM
To annoy you.
To me of the last coaches his most similar situation and resume.

Philagape
01-19-2010, 01:54 PM

Mularkey and williams weren't retreads.

Night Train
01-19-2010, 01:58 PM
I can still remember watching vid's of the Kay Stevenson & Hank Bullough pressers. I remember thinking " We have no hope next season " . This was a bland hire but not hopeless.

I'll give this a guy a chance to assemble a staff and see how the draft plays out before playing taps.

Beebe's Kid
01-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Someone has hacked Sabz account !

Hilarious!! I like it though...optimism is a good fit on Sabz!!

Dicknoze69
01-19-2010, 02:03 PM
The key difference between the two will be in how the GM does at stocking the team with quality players. Marv Levy benefited from the "Polian Machine" in an un-capped era. If Buddy Nix can be HALF the GM Polin was/is, we could be OK.

This. The Bills were absolutely loaded during the Levy-era, although we didn't know it at the time. A training dummy could have coached them to the playoffs. If Nix/Gailey can find us a QB, they will be successful.

I've maintained all along that our decade of futility is more because of our draft mishaps than coaching failures.

Canadian'eh!
01-19-2010, 02:05 PM
I was excited about Donahoe.
I was ok with Gregg Williams.
I was wait and see on Mularkey
I disliked brining Levy back.
I HATED the Jauron hire.
I was appalled by the Nix promotion.
I am disgusted and outraged by the Gailey hire.

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 02:10 PM
This. The Bills were absolutely loaded during the Levy-era, although we didn't know it at the time. A training dummy could have coached them to the playoffs.

Incorrect. ML held that place together for 10 years...not everybody would have been able to do that. He wasn't a great tactician and he didn't get in players faces but many, many others would have failed handling all those egos. How many coaches would have held a team together after "wide right" and gotten them back to three more super bowls?

Dicknoze69
01-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Incorrect. ML held that place together for 10 years...not everybody would have been able to do that. He wasn't a great tactician and he didn't get in players faces but many, many others would have failed handling all those egos. How many coaches would have held a team together after "wide right" and gotten them back to three more super bowls?

I didn't say he wasn't a good coach and he certainly handled the egos well enough, but there's no denying the Bills weren't loaded. He absolutely helped them get to the Super Bowl year after year and rebound from wide right, but I firmly believe a ton of NFL coaches could have taken that team to the playoffs.

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 02:19 PM
I didn't say he wasn't a good coach and he certainly handled the egos well enough, but there's no denying the Bills weren't loaded. He absolutely helped them get to the Super Bowl year after year and rebound from wide right, but I firmly believe a ton of NFL coaches could have taken that team to the playoffs.

as would have Dallas...as would have a number of teams...that argument can always be made. Is Dungy any less a coach if Indi wins it this year?

Dicknoze69
01-19-2010, 02:26 PM
as would have Dallas...as would have a number of teams...that argument can always be made. Is Dungy any less a coach if Indi wins it this year?

That's my point. The Bills success then was a direct result of Polian's brilliance and less a result of Levy's coaching. Obviously both played a part however.