JD
01-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Oh boy..

Scumbag College
01-19-2010, 01:29 PM
that always works out well.

Thief
01-19-2010, 01:38 PM
They should have just hired him to be the OC ONLY.

muestafa1
01-19-2010, 02:17 PM
He actually said he'd be in that role long term. He said maybe in a few years he'd be comfortable handing it over to someone, but even then he'd be involved.

trapezeus
01-19-2010, 02:18 PM
is this just a cover that no one wanted the "promotion" to OC in Buffalo?

HHURRICANE
01-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Cam Cameron II baby!!!!!

BILLSROCK1212
01-19-2010, 02:19 PM
It never seems to work well like this, but I hope he hires a good assistant...based on this my assumption is that he hires a VERY capable DC and a young up and coming OC....maybe AVP

ArcticWildMan
01-19-2010, 02:21 PM
is this just a cover that no one wanted the "promotion" to OC in Buffalo?

More likely that he doesn't like the available OC candidates and feels more comfortable calling the plays himself. I'm fine with that. I'd rather he call the plays than have another Kevin Gilbride fiasco.

shelby
01-19-2010, 02:21 PM
great. that makes me feel so much more comfortable with this "new regime".

Beebe's Kid
01-19-2010, 02:22 PM
It never seems to work well like this, but I hope he hires a good assistant...based on this my assumption is that he hires a VERY capable DC and a young up and coming OC....maybe AVP

:chair::deadhorse

SquishDaFish
01-19-2010, 02:23 PM
I wouldnt mind a young OC that he can teach his offense to. But we need a STRONG DC so he can concentrate on our PATHETIC Offense

FlyingDutchman
01-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Gailey to start the season as OC=good
Gailey to start the season as HC=bad

OpIv37
01-19-2010, 02:24 PM
More likely that he doesn't like the available OC candidates and feels more comfortable calling the plays himself. I'm fine with that. I'd rather he call the plays than have another Kevin Gilbride fiasco.
Well maybe if Buffalo hadn't dragged their feet on this hire, more OC candidates would be available.

Strike one against Chan.

Buddo
01-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Basically, his position was that he will be OC until such time as he thinks everything is running how he wants it. He might delegate it then, but still be able to stop any mistakes occurring, or put anything right that isn't working. For the foreseeable future, he will be the OC and calling the plays, even if we employ someone with that title. I think he expects that to be the case for quite some time tbh.
However, that could mean we can snag a good assistant from somewhere, by giving him the OC title. ;)

BILLSROCK1212
01-19-2010, 02:30 PM
:chair::deadhorse
ahahaha, can't say I disagree, but he does fit the character

ArcticWildMan
01-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Well maybe if Buffalo hadn't dragged their feet on this hire, more OC candidates would be available.

Strike one against Chan.

Dragged their feet? Come on man, we tried to get the big name coach everybody wanted. It didn't work. Considering there is still two more weeks of football left I'd say we acted quickly enough. Just because a few teams shuffled their coaching rosters hardly means we are too late.

Buddo
01-19-2010, 02:34 PM

Strike one against Chan.

I really don't see the point of being a better OC than other people, and not calling the shots yourself tbh.
I'd feel the same way about it if it were a DC we were employing - e.g. Frazier.
I consider it to be wasting resources available to you.

The Jokeman
01-19-2010, 02:37 PM
He better pick a really strong QB coach then.

ddaryl
01-19-2010, 02:37 PM
rather have Chan calling plays

this way when it goes bad he'll get all the blame, and if it goes well he will get all the accolades.

No changing OC's a week before the season begins, there will be no scapegoats

ZAZusmc03
01-19-2010, 02:38 PM

this way when it goes bad he'll get all the blame, and if it goes well he will get all the accolades.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

DrGraves
01-19-2010, 02:39 PM
He actually said he'd be in that role long term. He said maybe in a few years he'd be comfortable handing it over to someone, but even then he'd be involved.

he WONT BE HERE in a few years... we will have another washed up bum by then

baalworship
01-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Good. The best coaches want to call plays on game day.

Throne Logic
01-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Funny. We were speculating that Buffalo might go into the season without a Head Coach. Seems like that's pretty much what they're doing. They just gave the OC the HC titile.

OpIv37
01-19-2010, 04:20 PM
he WONT BE HERE in a few years... we will have another washed up bum by then

nah.... this is the second washed up bum in a row. If he fails, Ralph will bring us "change" by hiring an inexperienced coordinator who will turn out to be a bum instead.

baalworship
01-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Funny. We were speculating that Buffalo might go into the season without a Head Coach. Seems like that's pretty much what they're doing. They just gave the OC the HC titile.

So the Jets don't have a head coach because Rex Ryan calls the defensive plays? Maybe the Jets have a DC with the head coaching title.

JD
01-19-2010, 05:40 PM

There were no scapegoats with jauron..he always took the blame. Where did that get us? We're doomed. GO SABRES!

Dying_-2-_Live
01-19-2010, 05:45 PM
I like that he will call his own plays... less confusion... it shows that he his actually focused and determinded

dannyek71
01-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Maybe Dungy will come in as his OC and Cower as his DC?

billistic
01-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Gailey to be unemployed, to end the season.

Typ0
01-19-2010, 05:57 PM

You're rationalizing. I could just as easily say two days ago he was sipping beers at an OTB with no clue he'd be back in football. I doubt he's even looked into what's available. He's like all coaches a headstrong powermonger that thinks he can do it all.

This job is too much to be doing alone. A big part of head coach is spin control and media work. So basically, now they've taken a screwed up front office because there was no GM and recreated the position...just to get rid of a position on the field that is equally as screwed up. Oh yeah, and this means now they don't have to pay an OC. What a frigging joke these *******s are.

Typ0
01-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Gailey to be unemployed, to end the season.

Nah, the fans will tolerate him for a few years...

T-Long
01-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Who was the last HC of ours that called plays on gameday? Just curious.

billistic
01-19-2010, 06:02 PM

Ours?

T-Long
01-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Ours?
Wow, you seriously better be joking right now.

Typ0
01-19-2010, 06:05 PM

Head coaches call plays and still have OCs. The idea is more brainpower is better.

T-Long
01-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Head coaches call plays and still have OCs. The idea is more brainpower is better.
But when did you last see a Bills HC with a play card calling plays for the offense? I don't remember one.

Typ0
01-19-2010, 06:08 PM
I have no idea. There is a reason for it. It's a stupid ****ing move that a cheap ass mother ****er pulls because he won't budget for a real staff.

billistic
01-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Wow, you seriously better be joking right now.

Seriously: Anyone who considers Greg Williams, Mike Mularkey, and Dick Jauron to be "theirs" is a plain fool like Ralph.

ArcticWildMan
01-19-2010, 06:09 PM
You're rationalizing. I could just as easily say two days ago he was sipping beers at an OTB with no clue he'd be back in football. I doubt he's even looked into what's available. He's like all coaches a headstrong powermonger that thinks he can do it all.

This job is too much to be doing alone. A big part of head coach is spin control and media work. So basically, now they've taken a screwed up front office because there was no GM and recreated the position...just to get rid of a position on the field that is equally as screwed up. Oh yeah, and this means now they don't have to pay an OC. What a frigging joke these *******s are.

Yet you wanted to let Cowher or Shanahan coach and be GM? Come on now, by your logic no single person can coach and be GM.

Which way is it?

Mike in Syracuse
01-19-2010, 07:49 PM
that always works out well.

I don't know, why don't you call Sean Payton and ask him how it works for him. Seems to be going OK down there!

Typ0
01-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Yet you wanted to let Cowher or Shanahan coach and be GM? Come on now, by your logic no single person can coach and be GM.

Which way is it?

You're barking up the wrong tree AWM. I was vehemently opposed to that arrangement and said so every time it was brought up. You are right...by my logic no single person can coach and be GM. Maybe some of these guys can do it in some situations but not for this organization right now in this situation.

ArcticWildMan
01-19-2010, 07:52 PM
I don't know, why don't you call Sean Payton and ask him how it works for him. Seems to be going OK down there!

All that needs to be said is....DREW BREES.

Without him, the Saints are a .500 team.

Bulldog
01-19-2010, 08:18 PM
All that needs to be said is....DREW BREES.

Without him, the Saints are a .500 team.

Defensive minded head coaches are heavily involved with the defense.

Offensive minded head coaches are heavily involved with the offense.

I'd say it's fairly common amongst HC's in the league. I'm really not sure what the big deal is here. I like the idea that Gailey will be held accountable for the performance of the offense. He'll have nobody to blame but himself. I'm more concerned as to who he'll bring in to run the defense. That will be Gailey's most important hire. And for his own sake, he better nail it. I'd start by looking at the Baltimore coaching tree.