PDA

View Full Version : Nix has the final say on player

ghz in pittsburgh
01-19-2010, 01:47 PM
That's a little different from the past.

Maybe why some coaches declined when they heard that?

ghz in pittsburgh
01-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Alson Ralph was not there. Was Ralph in the other coaching hire pressers?

ArcticWildMan
01-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Isn't that what a GM is for? He should listen to his coach but a GM should have the final say on who is drafted/signed.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Gailey is going to call plays, which isn't a shock. He has been wherever he holds OC or higher positions

Jeff1220
01-19-2010, 01:50 PM
I was surprised RB wasn't there. Is this to convince the press that Nix's authority as GM won't be undermined by the non-football people?

ghz in pittsburgh
01-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Not in recent year for those high-profile coaches. For example, Shanahan has the final say in Washington.

SquishDaFish
01-19-2010, 01:52 PM
GM should have final say period. He has to take advice from the coach or that team wont be successful. But he should have the final say.

SquishDaFish
01-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Not in recent year for those high-profile coaches. For example, Shanahan has the final say in Washington.

And that is why they wont be successful.

ArcticWildMan
01-19-2010, 01:54 PM

And Shanahan's personnel moves in Denver are probably what cost him his job.

I don't think there is a single coach out there who has had total control that has been successful. Look at Holmgren, he couldn't do it.

Beebe's Kid
01-19-2010, 01:54 PM
I was surprised RB wasn't there. Is this to convince the press that Nix's authority as GM won't be undermined by the non-football people?

From what I understand, that is exactly the intent. I think that he is going to have to operate with the understanding that money is an issue (to say the least) but will be on his own with the football decisions. Let's hope this dynamic works.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-19-2010, 01:57 PM
GM should have final say period. He has to take advice from the coach or that team wont be successful. But he should have the final say.

Not necessarily.

When JJ was in Dallas and Miami, he had the final say period. In fact that's why Jerry Jones can't live with him.

In NE, belichick always have the final say.

The key is for the GM and HC to be on the same page so that the scouting taking like minded approach all the way.

Cowher couldn't agree to Donahoe in Pittsburgh. When the Rooneys retained Cowher, they made sure getting a GM who is in part interviewed by Cowher. It's widely known in Pittsburgh that Cowher had the final say after Donahoe left.

I add here that I don't have a problem with the HC having the final say on personnel. Parcells used to say he must get to choose ingredients if he's asked to make the meal. The key is they share the same vision, have the same idea, then the two combined can generate greater results than each on his own. For that reason, I strongly disagree with the Bills FO structure in the past. Donahoe is simply not a good GM. I don't think he ever was in Pittsburgh. Jauron was hired by Levy but then Marv left. So they don't have a consistent GM/HC relationship. If there is disagreement, who is to make the final call? Brandon? Probably Ralph. For example, Modrak recommanded Cushing, but we know someone else wanted a DE. Now we need someone to make a call. The thing is, if the personnel Department and the coaching staff think alike, the issue won't be there in the first place.

Buddo
01-19-2010, 02:02 PM
If you have a top talent evaluator as GM, as the Bills have in Nix, you really don't want to hamstring him.
I was quite struck with how Gailey was open about it though - and also the fact that he and Nix were 'on the same page'. I'm getting the impression that the pair of them will, at least, work well together.

ArcticWildMan
01-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Well, at least we know why Cowher didn't take the job. He pretty much had total control in Pittsburgh and there is no way he was coming here without the same power.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Well, at least we know why Cowher didn't take the job. He pretty much had total control in Pittsburgh and there is no way he was coming here without the same power.

To be honest, I think Ralph would give him that power (of finding his GM, like in Washington)if Cowher asked for it. But I think he just didn't want to come here.

psubills62
01-19-2010, 02:27 PM

I seriously doubt the relationship between Gailey and Nix is the same as it would have been between Cowher and Nix. I have to think that Cowher would have been given much more authority than Chan Gailey is allowed.