PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: Bills Sign Safety Chad Cota!!!!

deathadder
06-05-2003, 06:06 AM
I just heard twice on the WNSA radio sports ticker that the Bills have signed veteran Safety Chad Cota to a 1 year league min. contract to compete with Coy Wire. I believe this is a great pickup!!!! Sorry I have no link as of yet, but should probably soon popup on wnsafm.com :)

deathadder
06-05-2003, 06:12 AM
-- TACKLES -- -- FUMBLES -- -- INTERCEPTIONS --
YEAR TEAM G GS TOT SOLO AST SK SYD STF STYD SF FF BK INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD
1995 CAR 16 0 4 4 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 2
1996 CAR 16 2 42 39 3 1.0 7.0 2.0 10.0 0 0 0 5 63 12.0 35 0 6
1997 CAR 16 16 117 90 27 1.0 25.0 5.0 11.5 0 0 0 2 28 14.0 15 0 5
1998 NO 16 16 96 73 23 2.0 9.0 4.0 12.5 0 1 0 4 16 4.0 9 0 5
1999 IND 15 15 88 67 21 0.0 0.0 1.5 2.0 0 1 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 5
2000 IND 16 16 87 68 19 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 2 3 1.0 3 0 5
2001 IND 16 16 94 74 20 0.0 0.0 1.5 2.0 0 0 0 2 21 10.0 12 0 5
2002 STL 14 1 4 4 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0
Total 125 82 532 402 130 4.0 41 0.0 0 0 2 0 15 131 8.0 35 0 33

Pride
06-05-2003, 06:58 AM
not exactly stunning huh?

Tatonka
06-05-2003, 07:33 AM
please tell me he is a free safety...

wasnt he part of the indy defense that got lit up all the time?

Tatonka
06-05-2003, 07:36 AM
sweet.. he had all of 4 tackles last year.. and played in 14 games..

good find td.. :rolleyes:

Turf
06-05-2003, 07:39 AM
We have the same DB coaches as last year don't we?

Tatonka
06-05-2003, 07:46 AM
he is definately a strong safety.. so he is depth behind wire..

which could mean the end of prielou... or driver for sure.

cota will never see the field though.. no way he is good enough to beat out wire.. and he is a 9 year vet.. he is too old to play special teams.

Ebenezer
06-05-2003, 07:51 AM
I used to go apoplectic when Denver used to sign all those older free agents that nobody else was signing...then they won 2 Super Bowls...keep 'em coming...nothing ever beats depth...

Patrick76777
06-05-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
I used to go apoplectic when Denver used to sign all those older free agents that nobody else was signing...then they won 2 Super Bowls...keep 'em coming...nothing ever beats depth...

Ding Ding Ding. Hit the nail on the head EB. Injuries happen. It’s nice to have depth.

And remember, the Pats won the superbowl by bringing a bunch of Vets in.

G. Host
06-05-2003, 08:12 AM
ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0604/1563080.html)

THATHURMANATOR
06-05-2003, 08:25 AM
I agree you can never have too much depth. What are the chances we are only going to lose 6 man games due to injury this season.

lordofgun
06-05-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
he is definately a strong safety.. so he is depth behind wire..

which could mean the end of prielou... or driver for sure.

cota will never see the field though.. no way he is good enough to beat out wire.. and he is a 9 year vet.. he is too old to play special teams.

Come on, T. The best players will make the team. If they're afraid of competition, they shouldn't be in the NFL.

WG
06-05-2003, 08:59 AM
I agree for the most part LOG, but often players simply make the team due to expectations that haven't materialized yet or simply b/c the GM/HC wanted them here. Look at Robinson last year; can anyone say he was the best of what we had? I highly doubt it. So it was either a complete breakdown in failing to assess him, although I had no trouble based on his prior season, so I don't think that's it, or it was b/c he was a Titans connection and GW inductee, which makes more sense. Just one example. Newman is another.

Cota: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3294

WG
06-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
sweet.. he had all of 4 tackles last year.. and played in 14 games..

good find td.. :rolleyes:

In any case, I agree!

But then again, we have the cap room and it isn't going to hurt us, so WTH...

Patrick76777
06-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

But then again, we have the cap room and it isn't going to hurt us, so WTH...

Exactly, It's a win win situation. The guys a bum, we cut him. The guy plays well, We've got a nice backup for league Min. The guy Plays great. We've got a starter for League min.

Patrick76777
06-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Plus he pushes the other Safeties in TC.

lordofgun
06-05-2003, 09:12 AM
I agree for the most part LOG, but often players simply make the team due to expectations that haven't materialized yet or simply b/c the GM/HC wanted them here. Look at Robinson last year; can anyone say he was the best of what we had? I highly doubt it. So it was either a complete breakdown in failing to assess him, although I had no trouble based on his prior season, so I don't think that's it, or it was b/c he was a Titans connection and GW inductee, which makes more sense. Just one example. Newman is another.

Cota: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3294

And who did Robinson kick off the roster that should have been there? NO ONE. :D

TD has cut plenty of "big names" since he's been here and I'm confident he won't keep someone just because of their name.

Patrick76777
06-05-2003, 09:16 AM
esp. Chad Cota.

WG
06-05-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun

And who did Robinson kick off the roster that should have been there? NO ONE. :D

TD has cut plenty of "big names" since he's been here and I'm confident he won't keep someone just because of their name.

I hear ya, but obviously some LB got cut. Can you say that that "some LB" was actually worse than Robinson? I have difficulty imagining that, I really do. I said Robinson was a stiff from the moment we brought him here and he was. I'm not sure exactly who we cut last season, but I'm sure there were one or two who couldn't possibly have played worse and who weren't 47. LOL

Patrick76777
06-05-2003, 09:33 AM

I said Robinson was a stiff from the moment we brought him here and he was.

You say that about everybody. The odds were with you.

WG
06-05-2003, 10:03 AM
Well, yeah, I did say that about several players brought in under guises of Pittsburgh/Tennessee connections!

Can you name a couple that have been anything short of below average?

Johnson, who will be cut this year has done nothing for us in spite of insistances of others. Robinson was a bust. Farris. Who else, I know there was at least another one or two.

:scratch:

I'm just not big on these "former team 'connections' "

I was hard on Drew and still am.

Spikes is gonna be huge. HUGE I tell you!!! Moreso than many of you realize now!

This year we signed Jett, Gary, and Reese, all of whom have injury issues and may very well be in the twilights of their careers.

I guess what puzzles me about some of our pickups is that they are sold to the fans and pushed by talking about what a guy has done when he's clearly on the way out. I'm more concerned w/ what he's capable of doing instead of what he did for some other team years ago. Jones is in that category too.

I mean it's as if we have a quota of "prior injured players" and "players who didn't play last year due to injury" that we're trying to fill. What's wrong w/ that you ask? Well, perhaps nothing, perhaps everything. But when there are equally good players available who weren't hurt, and who aren't 32, then why not pursue them?

Spikes is HUGE, Adams is what we needed. But other than those two, there's not a player that we picked up this offseason, other than perhaps Gash, we'll see, who isn't fully expendable and for whom there were not a ton of other options. Nor do any of them excite me. You? I know you'll rave about Posey, but I still think we could have done better and I'm still not sold that he's gonna be what we're being told.

But seriously, who on that list are you drooling over besides Spikes, Adams, and possibly Posey? Other than Spikes, Adams, and Posey (where we had a complete hole), there's not a starter on that list. Heck, most of those guys won't even be #2 on the DC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf

Patrick76777
06-05-2003, 10:06 AM
Whoa that was another long one.

I’m just saying that you said that at least following players were going to be bums last year. I’m sure there were more

Bledsoe
Price
Henry
Fletcher
Robinson

WG
06-05-2003, 10:13 AM
Again, you have to look not at what a player has done, but what he's capable of doing.

Gary started in place of an injured Davis in his rookie season and hasn't done jack since in 3 seasons except for get hurt.

Reese never started until last season, and what did he do there? Nothing for the most part.

Jett, he's been good as a #3/backup, but he hasn't done squat in the last two seasons due primarily due to injury. He's 33 and will turn 34 this season, and most players who rely almost entirely on their speed tend to lose that around that age. At least in an increment. And frankly, even other than that, his best season ever is only over 800 yards.

So it's easy to look back and see what a player did, but it's much more difficult to assess how they will play when they get here. Clearly, very clearly, GW did that w/ Robinson last season and TD w/ Johnson.

WG
06-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
Whoa that was another long one.

I’m just saying that you said that at least following players were going to be bums last year. I’m sure there were more

Bledsoe
Price
Henry
Fletcher
Robinson

No, actually I was big on Fletcher last year. I soured on him after the season.

As to Henry, yes, based on his extremely eratic performances in his rookie year, I did not think he would run well.

Price is overrated and I'll stand by that, although, I agree, he did better than I had thought.

Robinson sucked! So not sure why you put him in there. He sucked the year before too.

Bledsoe, well, let's not start this up again. Let's just see how he plays this season. You and others measure everything in aggregate yards, attempts, and completions. I measure things in contributions to winning games, TDs, and lack of errors/TOs that cause us to lose games. So our perspectives are different. Let's just say that if he plays the same this season, you'll be joining me in demanding that one of our backups take over. :D

BTW, it's easy to say "everyone's gonna be great" and then criticize people like me who state in detail what they think in hindsight. I'll be posting my entire season predictions the week prior to the start of the season. I'll also ask others to join me. Do you know that when I've done that, only one person has had the stones to ante-up!

So it's easy to criticize, but no one's right. TD/GW have made some very bad judgements since he's been here too. Farris and Robinson among them. None of the national level analyists get it right either. Most of them simply post the party-line bird's eye view of things w/o having any specific insight at all.

So how about joining me this year instead of simply saying "I knew it all" while Wys was wrong on the following..., blah, blah...

I'll respect you in the morning if you do! :D

Patrick76777
06-05-2003, 10:23 AM
Actually, I started a thread titled "Henry Must Go" 1 week before the season started.

I also questioned starting Coy Wire in his rookie year

and this year I'm not sold on Reed and Number 2. YET!

Ebenezer
06-05-2003, 10:25 AM

The guy had over 200 tackles with bupkus for a DL...he could get 250 or more this year if everybody stays healthy.

lordofgun
06-05-2003, 10:33 AM
How you can sour on someone who had over 200 tackles WITHOUT a good DLine in front of him is beyond me.

Patrick76777
06-05-2003, 10:35 AM
It's Wys Logic. We will never fully understand the man!

Dozerdog
06-05-2003, 10:40 AM
Actually, I started a thread titled "Henry Must Go" 1 week before the season started.

And you became Ostrich Club VP on that voting record? :shakeno:

Mr. Miyagi
06-05-2003, 10:44 AM

As to Henry, yes, based on his extremely eratic performances in his rookie year, I did not think he would run well.

Price is overrated and I'll stand by that, although, I agree, he did better than I had thought.

Robinson sucked! So not sure why you put him in there. He sucked the year before too.

Bledsoe, well, let's not start this up again. Let's just see how he plays this season. You and others measure everything in aggregate yards, attempts, and completions. I measure things in contributions to winning games, TDs, and lack of errors/TOs that cause us to lose games. So our perspectives are different. Let's just say that if he plays the same this season, you'll be joining me in demanding that one of our backups take over. :D

BTW, it's easy to say "everyone's gonna be great" and then criticize people like me who state in detail what they think in hindsight. I'll be posting my entire season predictions the week prior to the start of the season. I'll also ask others to join me. Do you know that when I've done that, only one person has had the stones to ante-up!

So it's easy to criticize, but no one's right. TD/GW have made some very bad judgements since he's been here too. Farris and Robinson among them. None of the national level analyists get it right either. Most of them simply post the party-line bird's eye view of things w/o having any specific insight at all.

So how about joining me this year instead of simply saying "I knew it all" while Wys was wrong on the following..., blah, blah...

I'll respect you in the morning if you do! :D
Wys, you seem to be very good at criticizing our players, in every position and on every new signee. I think it's time for you to tell us what players would be ideal in your opinion instead of the ones we have.

Here are a few of the many players you don't like:

RB - Henry
WR - was Price
MLB - was Robinson
OLB - Fletcher
QB - Bledsoe

Tell us what players that were/are available in FA that we should've signed instead in these positions. Granted, Spikes taking over for Robinson seems to have your approval.

Who should be our QB/RB/WR/OLB?

It's time for YOU to make a suggestion and US to criticize your choices.

G. Host
06-05-2003, 11:36 AM
Not entirely.
What happens with a vet, especially with a one year vet, is the vet picks up the system quicker because he is a vet but loses gas very quickly. The vet has gone through this before, knows the drill and is willing to burn the wick fast now even though he may not have anything left later. Plus because he is older he is more likely to get hurt and not heal as quickly from the small muscle pulls football players get.

[B]I agree for the most part LOG, but often players simply make the team due to expectations that haven't materialized yet or simply b/c the GM/HC wanted them here.

Tatonka
06-05-2003, 01:03 PM
come on T, what??

i am saying that wire is better than cota is at this point.. i am not saying wire is afraid of the competition..

ok, fine.. he is veteran depth.. i was just hoping we would sign a fs.. not a ss.

WG
06-05-2003, 01:04 PM

There ya go! Painless, right...

NOW we can be friends! :D

Tatonka
06-05-2003, 01:08 PM
miyagi.. fletch IS the MLB and robinson WAS the WSLB

Patrick76777
06-05-2003, 01:09 PM

There ya go! Painless, right...

NOW we can be friends! :D

I said most of that last year. I never tried to hide it. and of course we can be friends. I look forward to eating wings with you. I'll tell you what I really thing! he he .

WG
06-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

The guy had over 200 tackles with bupkus for a DL...he could get 250 or more this year if everybody stays healthy.

What, are you counting his 4 years at the Rams??? or what?

He had 108 solo tackles last year, and another 41 assists.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4539

What's so special about that especially since there was no DL. I would think that w/ a decent DL, your MLB doesn't get an opportunity to make nearly as many first hits and tackles, right? Or does it mean that w/ a stellar DL RBs get through constantly?

As a MLB on a team w/ no DL, he should have had over 200 tackles I agree. But he didn't. He was woefully short.

W/ a bad DL, the team may be worse, but the MLB should have far more opps to make tackles.

WG
06-05-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
How you can sour on someone who had over 200 tackles WITHOUT a good DLine in front of him is beyond me.

Why is everyone saying that Fletcher had over 200 tackles???

Is this a joke on me or something?

He didn't even have 150 tackles!

This is like Drew logic, the more times people say it the sooner it becomes a fact. I've heard this going around for months now.

Bizarre!

It's Wys Logic. We will never fully understand the man!

76 is right! I base my logic on facts and reality. That's usually where we all hang up...

:D

WG
06-05-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

Wys, you seem to be very good at criticizing our players, in every position and on every new signee. I think it's time for you to tell us what players would be ideal in your opinion instead of the ones we have.

Here are a few of the many players you don't like:

RB - Henry
WR - was Price
MLB - was Robinson
OLB - Fletcher
QB - Bledsoe

Tell us what players that were/are available in FA that we should've signed instead in these positions. Granted, Spikes taking over for Robinson seems to have your approval.

Who should be our QB/RB/WR/OLB?

It's time for YOU to make a suggestion and US to criticize your choices.

Miyagi,

I like plenty of our guys! In fact, I think I'm higher on some of them than you and others are. I've posted numerous times on this.

LOVE: Henry, Reed, Moulds, JJ/MW on the line, Moore, Spikes (and I've said he's gonna be bigger than most think he will), Adams (although I would have signed Thornton, longer term too), Williams, Schobel, Winfield, Clements, Thomas.

Think are good or good enough to meet the need: Sullivan, Teague, Brown, Fletcher, PP, Wire

That pretty much covers the team. My comments on Fletcher are simply in response to the "he's pro bowl material" threads/posts that I'm reading. I think he's average and I've said that a million times.

As to Drew, I'd rather he go elsewhere and I'll have plenty of company in all liklihood by season's end if not sooner.

Posey, I'm taking a wait and see attitude. If I had to lay $100, I'd lay it that he won't do what he's been advertised to do. We had plenty of options at SLB. Plenty!

So who do I hate then since that's all you and some others are saying?

I think we have potential pro bowlers, if not gimme pro bowlers in:

Spikes, Pat Williams, Winfield, Clements, Henry, Moulds, Williams and Jennings. Drew may make it, but it'll be more on rep than reality.

So I completely fail to see where I am not optimistic. I'm the one sayin' we can be 12-4 w/o mishaps! Have you heard anyone say that we'll be 13-3, realistically? Or better? I haven't!

BillsOwnAll
06-05-2003, 01:28 PM
yah EB is and WYS are right we have all this money this year lets use it. we need all the depth we can get.

cordog
06-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Okay Wys, there are sources that say Fletcher had over 200, and some say 150, but even at 150 ESPN says he was the 2nd leading tackler in the AFC and 3rd in the NFL behind only Urlacher and Thomas. Not too bad for an "average" linebacker

cordog
06-05-2003, 03:06 PM
And since we are looking at the stats, which we all know you love to do, according to espn, the only linebacker to have over 200 takles was Urlacher, so are all the MLBs in the league pathetic other than Urlacher?

lordofgun
06-05-2003, 03:12 PM
I just heard on ESPN or Empire that he broke the Bills record with 206 or thereabouts...I swear. :huh:

cordog
06-05-2003, 03:33 PM
yeah im sure he was over 200. I remember hearing it numerous times

venis2k1
06-05-2003, 03:58 PM
I have heard that alot too, but i cant figure out how they got that number. 3rd in the NFL in tackles should make you a lock for the pro bowl(especially when Ray Lewis is hurt) Fletch got screwed. London-Spikes is gonna be NASTY. I still say we should have gotten Rosevelt Colvin instead of Posey, we have the cash, and that would be down right S-C-A-R-Y. I cant wait to scream "Pocket Full of Posey"!!!

Mr. Miyagi
06-05-2003, 03:59 PM

Miyagi,

I like plenty of our guys! In fact, I think I'm higher on some of them than you and others are. I've posted numerous times on this.

LOVE: Henry, Reed, Moulds, JJ/MW on the line, Moore, Spikes (and I've said he's gonna be bigger than most think he will), Adams (although I would have signed Thornton, longer term too), Williams, Schobel, Winfield, Clements, Thomas.

Think are good or good enough to meet the need: Sullivan, Teague, Brown, Fletcher, PP, Wire

That pretty much covers the team. My comments on Fletcher are simply in response to the "he's pro bowl material" threads/posts that I'm reading. I think he's average and I've said that a million times.

As to Drew, I'd rather he go elsewhere and I'll have plenty of company in all liklihood by season's end if not sooner.

Posey, I'm taking a wait and see attitude. If I had to lay $100, I'd lay it that he won't do what he's been advertised to do. We had plenty of options at SLB. Plenty!

So who do I hate then since that's all you and some others are saying?

I think we have potential pro bowlers, if not gimme pro bowlers in:

Spikes, Pat Williams, Winfield, Clements, Henry, Moulds, Williams and Jennings. Drew may make it, but it'll be more on rep than reality.

So I completely fail to see where I am not optimistic. I'm the one sayin' we can be 12-4 w/o mishaps! Have you heard anyone say that we'll be 13-3, realistically? Or better? I haven't!
I didn't realize you were THAT optimistic. Somehow I think I wasn't the only one here who was under the impression that you're very sour on our team. Glad you clarified that and you're in fact on our side.

If Drew and Posey aren't what you had in mind, who do you think we should've got? Last year the choices for QBs weren't exactly plentiful. Should we have got Blake? Dilfer? Instead of Drew??? Name one guy please.

Same with Posey. Who should we have got instead of him, for the money that we got him for? Give a name will you?

Halbert
06-05-2003, 04:03 PM
20th solo, 2nd assisted

chubluv
06-05-2003, 07:06 PM
Can Cota play S/T ? Maybe thats why we signed him !!!!!

Lone Stranger
06-06-2003, 06:15 PM
IMO an absolute waste. I can't figure if he's a worse pickup than Jett.

venis2k1
06-06-2003, 06:16 PM
Its not like the FA market is over flowing with pro bowlers right now.