PDA

View Full Version : Marty Schottenheimer wanted to coach the Bills, The Ralph Wilson didn't want him.

Ickybaluky
01-19-2010, 04:01 PM
According to Tim Graham:

LINK (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/9487/marty-schottenheimer-wanted-bills-gig)

Contrary to the diplomatic comments he made on his radio show, Marty Schottenheimer actually did want the Buffalo Bills head-coaching job.

Badly.

Bills owner Ralph Wilson, however, wasn't interested, sources close to Schottenheimer informed me Tuesday after the club introduced Chan Gailey as their man.

Schottenheimer had a strong desire to return to coaching after three years away from the sidelines and had an ally in former Bills general manager Buddy Nix. They became close while working together with the San Diego Chargers.

Schottenheimer played linebacker four seasons with the Bills, winning an AFL title with them in 1965.

But the Bills couldn't consider Schottenheimer a candidate because Wilson wasn't comfortable with him, the sources said.

Kind of explains his kid not wanting to interview.

Dicknoze69
01-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Jesus, it's going to get ugly.

Billz_fan
01-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Great ! Glad ralph is on top of things

/sarcasm

Crisis
WHAT THE ****

BILLSROCK1212
Ok, I was fine with hiring Gailey, but this is PATHETIC!!

Ickybaluky
01-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Matt Mosley of ESPN had a great line:

Pardon me if I was a little startled by the news Monday that the Buffalo Bills were going to hire Chan Gailey as their next head coach. What, was Bruce Coslet not available?

Prov401
wow. If this is true. F*** you Ralph.

ArcticWildMan
When Marty comes out and admits he wanted to come here, I'll believe it. Until then, this is just more speculation and face saving by the media that is wearing a 12 egg omlet all over their collective faces.

Michael82
01-19-2010, 04:05 PM
You gotta be ****ing kidding me! **** YOU, RALPH! :mad: :fit:

Crisis
01-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Thank you for bringing the Bills to Buffalo, Ralph.

NOW PLEASE GIVE THE TEAM TO SOMEONE ELSE WHO WANTS TO KEEP IT HERE.

hydro
01-19-2010, 04:06 PM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_kTaFrEr_318/SRmvNaTsfdI/AAAAAAAAAYY/d78b4hnZAGs/smash%20and%20break%20computer%20pc%20monitor%20with%20keyboard%5B12%5D.jpg

madness
More sources. Yay.

Marty and his son's words and actions contradict Tim's source.

FlyingDutchman
tell me this is a joke

BillsWin
01-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Excuse me while I step out of the room, take the next flight to Detroit and set Ralph Wilson's home on fire.

(disclaimer: If this does happen, it wasn't me.)

deviantwolf
01-19-2010, 04:08 PM
God I hope this isn't true.

If it is...

This team is doomed until Ralph is buried and the team moves on. You talk about big name coach's and change and then turn down just that.

Of course it's hearsay until Marty says it for sure which I doubt will happen.

SquishDaFish
01-19-2010, 04:10 PM
I was partly won over by Chan in his PC but if this is true Ill be beyond pissed off

lafluer
01-19-2010, 04:10 PM
According to Tim Graham:

LINK (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/9487/marty-schottenheimer-wanted-bills-gig)

Blah,Blah,Blah....etc etc...... you people would of cried over him also, he's basicly gailey. you guys make me laugh.

Dicknoze69
01-19-2010, 04:11 PM
When Marty comes out and admits he wanted to come here, I'll believe it. Until then, this is just more speculation and face saving by the media that is wearing a 12 egg omlet all over their collective faces.

Or it's Marty trying to save his friend's (Nix) ass because Marty knew if this came out there'd be a storm.

Jaybird
01-19-2010, 04:11 PM

The media has been wrong about everything concerning the job. This means nothing to me unless, like you said marty comes out and says it

HHURRICANE
01-19-2010, 04:12 PM
According to Tim Graham:

I thought I couldn't hate Ralph anymore but NE39 was able to bring it up another notch for me.

patmoran2006
01-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Timmy aint lying.. Trust me

(WHat I mean is you can trust me that he's not making **** up, I dont know his sources of course, but I KNOW Tim doesnt just make **** up)

BillsWin
01-19-2010, 04:18 PM
I LITERALLY just threw up. That is how sick that made me.

Dujek
01-19-2010, 04:19 PM
We knew this last week. The reason neither Billick nor Schottenheimer were interviewed was because Ralph didn't want them, for whatever reason.

I would rather have had Billick or Schottenheimer than Gailey, but it's still no reason for people to call for his head before he's even settled into the job.

The Bills have a coach, they have a GM and those two men have a very difficult job in front of them. It's time to draw a line under the hiring process and move on.

Jan Reimers
01-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Let's move on, sport's fans. We will drive ourselves nuts (well, some of you seem to be there already) by listening to every rumor, half-thuth and innuendo from every source.

BillsWin
01-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Ralph felt uncomfortable with a former Bills player with 200 wins on his resume, wanted the job and loves the city of Buffalo...

Tell me what the **** is wrong with that statement!!!!!

Demon
01-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Wasn't this already reported when his son turned us down? I could have sworn it was said somewhere that Ralph wasn't interesting in Marty.... ?

dmosher12
01-19-2010, 04:23 PM
this team is a joke

Dicknoze69
01-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Wasn't this already reported when his son turned us down? I could have sworn it was said somewhere that Ralph wasn't interesting in Marty.... ?

At that point, it was understood that Marty wanted to remain retired. Therefore, when Brian Schotty turned us down, it was sort of a "wtf" moment. However, provided this report is true, it makes complete sense now.

kingJofNYC
Wow, just when you think it can't get any worse, it does.

Dr. Pepper
**** this ****ing bull**** i hate this ****ing cheap ass owner and his piece of **** ****ing lies saying he was willing to spend money **** that **** he was just hoping everyone would say no.

HHURRICANE
01-19-2010, 04:27 PM
We knew this last week. The reason neither Billick nor Schottenheimer were interviewed was because Ralph didn't want them, for whatever reason.

I would rather have had Billick or Schottenheimer than Gailey, but it's still no reason for people to call for his head before he's even settled into the job.

The Bills have a coach, they have a GM and those two men have a very difficult job in front of them. It's time to draw a line under the hiring process and move on.

Is Ralph your grandfather? These guys aren't saving the world they are running a football team. These guys are going to suck ass and everyone here with half a brain realizes this. I don't need to experience getting shot by a bullet to realize that it might kill me.

Dying_-2-_Live
01-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Im probably the only one excited about the Gailey hiring... BUT, this stings... stings real bad.

HHURRICANE
01-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Ralph felt uncomfortable with a former Bills player with 200 wins on his resume, wanted the job and loves the city of Buffalo...

Tell me what the **** is wrong with that statement!!!!!

This is the same owner that let Lou Saban go to the grave without ever reconciling with him. He's one classy guy.

THRILLHO
01-19-2010, 04:31 PM
I guess Ralph would rather play money ball instead of Marty Ball.

Dujek
01-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Is Ralph your grandfather? These guys aren't saving the world they are running a football team. These guys are going to suck ass and everyone here with half a brain realizes this. I don't need to experience getting shot by a bullet to realize that it might kill me.

Seriously, were you dropped on your head as a kid, or were you born this way?

You keep saying you don't care about the team anymore, well then **** off and let those of us that do have an adult conversation.

Canadian'eh!
01-19-2010, 04:34 PM
WOW.... just wow.

kingJofNYC
At least Nix wasn't full of **** when he said that there were coaches who wanted the job, too bad the feeling wasn't mutual in this case.

JJamezz
I don't know how comfortable I am spending $500 on Sunday Ticket next season.

ParanoidAndroid
01-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Speculation.....

And the author loses lots of credit when he says that Schottenheimer went to the playoffs 12 times and went 5-13. How can you lose 13 games in 12 playoff appearances?

HHURRICANE
01-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Seriously, were you dropped on your head as a kid, or were you born this way?

You keep saying you don't care about the team anymore, well then **** off and let those of us that do have an adult conversation.

Seriously? Is my realistic view killing your fandem? So you think Gailey and Nx are good choices that can be defended?

I'm all ears.

patmoran2006
01-19-2010, 04:39 PM
First of all

THe media hasn't been all wrong about anything, other than not knowing Gailey was going to get the job.

These interviews or lack of interest in them, you assume they're all false?

Are people telling me right now you BELIEVE Buddy nix today?

He only admitted to interviewing with Fewell, Frazier and Gailey.

UMM RALPH WILSON SAID HIMSELF THE TEAM WAS IN TALKS WITH COWHER!

Get real man.

Dujek
01-19-2010, 04:42 PM
I've stated my reasons when I was putting Mudflap in his place. I really don't need to set these points out again.

We'll leave it at the fact that Nix has a proven record at finding quality players and Gailey has a proven record at winning football games. Claiming that these guys are doomed to failure is a mix of hyperbole and pure ignorance.

Dicknoze69
01-19-2010, 04:42 PM
First of all

THe media hasn't been all wrong about anything, other than not knowing Gailey was going to get the job.

Get real man.

When Buddy said he got 15 calls a day by people who wanted the job, I laughed out loud. So no, I don't believe that at all.

HHURRICANE
01-19-2010, 04:43 PM
First of all

Get real man.

I still believe my buddies info to be accurate. He won't be around until tonight so I'll see what he says but Frazier had to have told the Bills he wasn't taking the job because it was his if he wanted it.

Maybe the Bills were scared to have a report having him say "no" so this was a pre-emptive move to make it look like they had control of the situation.

HHURRICANE
01-19-2010, 04:44 PM
I've stated my reasons when I was putting Mudflap in his place. I really don't need to set these points out again.

We'll leave it at the fact that Nix has a proven record at finding quality players and Gailey has a proven record at winning football games. Claiming that these guys are doomed to failure is a mix of hyperbole and pure ignorance.

What was Gailey record in Dallas? And with what roster?

patmoran2006
01-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Nobody should be mad at Gailey.

Gailey did what any coach hungry for a job did. .He took a job that was offered to him.

Oaf
01-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Can't wait to get Paladin's thoughts on this.

Typ0
01-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Maybe that was Shotty leaving messages on the machine that weren't being returned.

When Buddy said he got 15 calls a day by people who wanted the job, I laughed out loud. So no, I don't believe that at all.

YardRat
01-19-2010, 04:47 PM
:rofl: at ANY talking head that claims to have ANY insight at all.

If anybody should've learned anything from the past few weeks, it's that NONE of these guys know DICK.

Jesus...If PT Barnum were alive today, he'd either be a sports 'reporter' (and I use that term very loosely) or a message board spammer.

Typ0
01-19-2010, 04:48 PM
I take this statement with a grain of salt really. However, if we find out this is true I'm going to be very sick. Wilson did say he wasn't interested in Shottenheimer at one time which threw me but I didn't think shotty was interested so I let it go. However, if MS was all about returning to coach and wanted this job and he's not on the sidelines this is the worst joke played on a great society ever!

patmoran2006
01-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Well, lets listen to Tim's take tonight on Sal's UStream show.

And I dont blame you for the skepticism on a lot of writers, including myself.

But Tim Graham is as good as they come and he doesn't profess to be an insider and he when he reports on sources-- I will vouch that he is SOLID.

he may not always be right, but he is SOLID and doesn't throw stuff up to see what sticks.

Dujek
01-19-2010, 04:55 PM
What was Gailey record in Dallas? And with what roster?

With a roster that went 6-10 before he was coach and 5-11 the year after.

Then the "stars" retired and they went 5-11 twice more.

So he improved the team when he took over and it plummeted after he left.

It really doesn't take much to find these facts. Also, all the "stars" were past their prime, or do you think everyone plays like they did at 26/27 forever?

FlyingDutchman
01-19-2010, 04:55 PM
I still believe my buddies info to be accurate. He won't be around until tonight so I'll see what he says but Frazier had to have told the Bills he wasn't taking the job because it was his if he wanted it.

Maybe the Bills were scared to have a report having him say "no" so this was a pre-emptive move to make it look like they had control of the situation.

we're all set from hearing from your guy, thanks anyways

Nighthawk
01-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Matt Mosley of ESPN had a great line:

Now, I don't love the hire, but how well regarded was Belicheat when NE hired him? Just sayin'....

YardRat
01-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Well, lets listen to Tim's take tonight on Sal's UStream show.

And I dont blame you for the skepticism on a lot of writers, including myself.

But Tim Graham is as good as they come and he doesn't profess to be an insider and he when he reports on sources-- I will vouch that he is SOLID.

he may not always be right, but he is SOLID and doesn't throw stuff up to see what sticks.
No offense, Pat, but you vouched that Schefter was solid.
Then Glazer was 'the man'.
Then Schefter had the scoop.

Etc, etc.

edit...My god...How did I forget Joe Logan???

HHURRICANE
01-19-2010, 04:59 PM
we're all set from hearing from your guy, thanks anyways

I guarantee that if it's confirmed that Frazier turned the job down that I won't be getting any reconciliation from you. Go sell some more copiers.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Where are the sheep now? There was a much better candidate that was available, hands down, and the Bills went the cheap and sucky route.

patmoran2006
01-19-2010, 05:02 PM
No offense, Pat, but you vouched that Schefter was solid.
Then Glazer was 'the man'.
Then Schefter had the scoop.

Etc, etc.

Schefter was solid.. He was the ONLY one who said ON the record with no hesitation that Cowher was NOT coming to Buffalo.

And I dont ever remember Glazer speculating that the Bills were about to hire a coach, other than Frazier being a solid candidate which I firmly believe he was.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 05:04 PM

Oh really??? You put me in my place? Would you like to point out where that happened? I believe I stated that blind faith in the Bills for thinking Gailey was a good move and was going to turn the team around was nonsense. This was a cheap move when there were better choices and more qualified choices available. Brian Billick and Marty Schottenheimer were available and interested. End of story and discussion. The Bills screwed the fans again.

And your point is what? That the Bills made a great hire?

Keep drinking that Kool Aid buddy. Things should really start to sink in for you late thinkers around Oct/Nov 2010.

Oldbillsfan
Why did this report come out as soon as the new Bills coach was introduced? By the same media outlet that painted this as the job they couldn't give away?

YardRat
Schefter was solid.. He was the ONLY one who said ON the record with no hesitation that Cowher was NOT coming to Buffalo.

And I dont ever remember Glazer speculating that the Bills were about to hire a coach, other than Frazier being a solid candidate which I firmly believe he was.

He and a bunch of posters on this very board with a half an ounce of brains in their head.

That's real 'inside info'.

Typ0
01-19-2010, 05:05 PM

PAT, there are really hundreds of coaches out there. Picking one and saying he's not going to be hired is not being reliable about anything. I can pick a couple dozen people, myself included, who have been saying Cowher wasn't coming here since the beginning. Does that make me solid?

zone
I can't even believe what I just read.

FlyingDutchman
I guarantee that if it's confirmed that Frazier turned the job down that I won't be getting any reconciliation from you. Go sell some more copiers.

surprised you can talk with a foot so far down your throat...

Typ0
He and a bunch of posters on this very board with a half an ounce of brains in their head.

That's real 'inside info'.

Right!

HHURRICANE
01-19-2010, 05:08 PM
surprised you can talk with a foot so far down your throat...

That was pretty funny. I'll actually give you that one....for now.

Dujek
01-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Oh really??? You put me in my place? Would you like to point out where that happened? I believe I stated that blind faith in the Bills for thinking Gailey was a good move and was going to turn the team around was nonsense. This was a cheap move when there were better choices and more qualified choices available. Brian Billick and Marty Schottenheimer were available and interested. End of story and discussion. The Bills screwed the fans again.

And your point is what? That the Bills made a great hire?

Keep drinking that Kool Aid buddy. Things should really start to sink in for you late thinkers around Oct/Nov 2010.

Where did I say that the Bills made a good hire?

I said that based on previous record and experience Gailey deserved to be given a shot before he was thrown under the bus. Big difference.

But you only see what you want to see, and don't realise when the fact you have to resort to namecalling and hyperbole shows that you've lost a debate.

Typ0
01-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Ten years ago I would have been so excited about this hire. Now, it's not about Gailey it's about OBD. His time has likely passed and he won't get the help he needs to be successful.

JD
01-19-2010, 05:30 PM
If Bills fans will spray paint a guys lawn because he lost his team a game.. I can't imagine what they'll do when this hits the local news.

hammerbillsfan
01-19-2010, 05:30 PM
:shoothead:

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 05:37 PM
PAT, there are really hundreds of coaches out there. Picking one and saying he's not going to be hired is not being reliable about anything. I can pick a couple dozen people, myself included, who have been saying Cowher wasn't coming here since the beginning. Does that make me solid?

I may not have been the first but I took a bunch of flack the day of the Indi game for starting a thread saying he wasn't coming here...guess I'm solid, too! :hi5:

Ickybaluky
01-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Now, I don't love the hire, but how well regarded was Belicheat when NE hired him? Just sayin'....

Not very. In fact, after his press conference resigning as the "hc of the nyj" (just a few weeks prior), everyone was wondering if he had all his marbles. Most people couldn't figure what Kraft was thinking by handing him total control and allowing him to bring in his guys (Pioli, Weis). It really wasn't much different than when Cleveland hired Mangini last year.

It's funny. If it weren't for the pure luck, hitting the lottery with a 6th round comp pick and landing Tom Brady in 2000, he probably gets run out of town in 3 years (if he made it that far). I remember reading an article by the well-respected Joel Buchbaum (RIP) prior to the 2001 season, where he picked the Patriots as the team the furthest away from possibly making the playoffs. Buchbaum was a friend of Belichick, but he felt they were the worst team in the NFL.

You never know, and certainly I have nothing against Gailey or Nix. While they don't seem like inspired hires, you really can't tell what is going to happen with any certainty. Things change pretty quickly.

I just thought that was a funny line. I posted the original article because I was hoping Mikey's head would explode, not really to piss anyone off. I realize it may be taken as a little jab by me, but I don't really want to get into any trash talking crap. It really isn't my thing.

Ickybaluky
01-19-2010, 07:51 PM
BTW, Adam Schefter tweeted this:

Two teams said they considered hiring Chan Gailey last year, but questioned "sizzle" factor with fans. Great coach, but not popular w/ fans.

LarryBoy
01-19-2010, 07:52 PM
I love this team...but sometimes the whole thing makes me :blowup:

JPFBillsFan
01-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Marty Ball 0-13 in the playoffs....ENOUGH SAID~!

ArcticWildMan
01-19-2010, 07:56 PM
BTW, Adam Schefter tweeted this:

Any owner who bases his coaching selection on sizzle factor is an idiot. If the guy has the tools to be a good coach who cares if wears a pink dress to the games? Big names are nice to debate on message boards but winning games is the only thing that matters.

Ebenezer
01-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Any owner who bases his coaching selection on sizzle factor is an idiot. If the guy has the tools to be a good coach who cares if wears a pink dress to the games? Big names are nice to debate on message boards but winning games is the only thing that matters.
hell, how much sizzle factor would there be if they hired jimmy johnson, don shula or bill belicheck to be the Bills coach? because of what they did to the Bills people should be outraged if RW did that, and rightly so -that is sleeping with the enemy to the highest degree...but the outrage would fade and people would eat it up if any of them came here and won. it is about winning.

Luisito23
01-19-2010, 08:35 PM

Yeah, because Gailey has a much more impressive playoff record...Buy a clue son.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-19-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't believe this one minute.

patmoran2006
01-19-2010, 08:39 PM

5-13

Typ0
01-19-2010, 08:41 PM
It doesn't matter who is the coach here if they don't have the resources to be succesful.

Hemlepp53
01-19-2010, 08:59 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/19/report-ralph-wilson-nixed-potential-return-of-martyball/

Mitchell55
01-19-2010, 09:21 PM
I didnt want him. Hes a very bland conservative boring coach. Itll be a Jauron O still

mysticsoto
01-19-2010, 09:23 PM
I think some of you are jumping to conclusions way too fast. From the horses' mouth:

Marty Schottenheimer Says No To Coaching Bills Or Any Team

http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/115341-marty-schottenheimer-says-no-coaching-bills-any.html

mysticsoto
01-19-2010, 09:25 PM
[/URL]
[URL="http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/12/31/marty-schottenheimer-insists-hes-done-with-coaching/"]Marty Schottenheimer insists he’s done with coaching (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/12/31/marty-schottenheimer-insists-hes-done-with-coaching/)

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/12/31/marty-schottenheimer-insists-hes-done-with-coaching/

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Where did I say that the Bills made a good hire?

I said that based on previous record and experience Gailey deserved to be given a shot before he was thrown under the bus. Big difference.

But you only see what you want to see, and don't realise when the fact you have to resort to namecalling and hyperbole shows that you've lost a debate.

I didn't lose a debate. You made the statement that you give Chan Gailey the "benefit of the doubt" and I'm saying, as a life long Bills fan -- SCREW THAT! I am taking a faraway view of things. I don't know where you live, but I live in Southern California, far away from Buffalo. The Bills are a laughingstock outside of WNY. Heck, Tedy Bruschi was on ESPN tonight saying the Bills are the "Raiders of the East" because of the Chan Gailey hire. He went on to say that no team is going to be intimidated by the Bills and this hire. I don't like Tedy Bruschi, but that pretty much sums up what I'm trying to say. It was a crap hire by a crap franchise. And, to top it off, it appears that there was a legitimate candidate interested in the job (Schotty) that the Bills deliberately didn't hire. The fans would've loved Marty. That guy is a winner.

I don't know what world you are living in man, but it's not the world that the other 31 teams of the NFL live in. They are laughing at the Buffalo Bills right now. And for that, I am no longer in the mood to give the Bills or Chan Gailey the benefit of the doubt. They need to earn the fans' trust at this point.

Goobylal
01-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Nix shot down Marty. Not Ralph.

hydro
01-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Nix shot down Marty. Not Ralph.

You keep posting this everywhere. How do you know?

YardRat
01-19-2010, 10:25 PM
I think some of you are jumping to conclusions way too fast. From the horses' mouth:

Thank you....I was trying to find a quote from Marty, but was short on time before leaving for a meeting, and just returned.

Philagape
01-19-2010, 10:27 PM

A little birdie told him that the bartender at Duff's has a brother-in-law whose sources tracked the flights of a reporter who read it on a blog.

TacklingDummy
01-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Was never a Marty fan so I don't give a S**t

Goobylal
01-19-2010, 10:29 PM
There is a poster on TSW who yesterday said that Gailey would be the Bills' next head coach. He also said that it was Nix' call. I believe him.

unpaid_bills
01-19-2010, 10:29 PM
its simple Gailey is easier to spell than Schottenheimer, at Ralph's age that little s**t matters.

Remember Ralph lives in Detroit its all a conspiracy to make the Lions NOT the worse (laughable) franchise in the NFL.

somethings just dont have answers i guess they just sort of happen:cheers:

NoVabillsfan89
01-19-2010, 10:35 PM
I don't have any sources and this is pure speculation. But I think it might be worthwhile to consider other possibilities rather than simply saying"Marty wanted to coach the Bills and Ralph said no".

I don't know the arrangement Marty had in San Diego but it is well known around DC that when he was with the Redskins, Marty demanded full control over personnel matters. Those demands, combined with an 8-8 record and a sexy alternative like Steve Spurrier got him fired after one year.

Perhaps he was looking for the same thing with in Buffalo and a newly appointed GM - who had just been given that responsibility for the first time in his 70 years - wasn't willing to make that concession, regardless of history or friendship.

naveed
01-19-2010, 10:52 PM
There is a poster on TSW who yesterday said that Gailey would be the Bills' next head coach. He also said that it was Nix' call. I believe him.
He was not only the first to mention Gailey (before any of the national pundits), but also when Buddy Nix was hired. Sounds reliable to me.

BertSquirtgum
01-19-2010, 10:55 PM
i wish that senile old **** would just sell the team. what an azzhole.

Tatonka
01-19-2010, 11:41 PM
guys.. everyone is going nuts.. but think about this.. we know that marty was directly quoted as saying he was done.. he did 30 years and is happy with enjoying the spoils of that long career..

or a reporter saying that a "source" from marty's camp (cuz marty comes across as the type of guy that has a camp) says he was "dying" to get back into coaching and wanted to come to the bills.

i will take the word of the coach himself. he is one of the few people who was actually quoted directly (as opposed to cowher, who never acknowledged even meeting with the bills).

the article is crap.

Griff
01-20-2010, 05:05 AM
I call bull****, Marty has expressed no desire to return to coaching, this has already been reported.

Meathead
01-20-2010, 05:47 AM
key piece of data: buddy and marty are reportedly close friends

that leaves two possibilties:
- buddy wanted marty and ralph shot it down
- buddy knew something about marty that made chan a more attractive candidate

given the bubbling enthusiasm that buddy showed over gailey im having a hard time believing that was his second choice. i dont see how he could be that giddy if he was holding onto resentment that ralph had just nixed (haha timely pun) his first crucial decision at gm

im waiting to hear his comment on the situation, cuz it HAS to be coming soon, but if i had to bet now id say something isnt adding up and that the story is somehow inaccurate

Night Train
01-20-2010, 05:54 AM
Something doesn't wash here.

Schott was saying in the fall he didn't want to return. He repeated it for over the last month on Sirius radio.

Then Graham mentions "a source" and we blindly believe otherwise ?

YardRat
01-20-2010, 06:01 AM
key piece of data: buddy and marty are reportedly close friends

that leaves two (three) possibilties:
- buddy wanted marty and ralph shot it down
- buddy knew something about marty that made chan a more attractive candidate
-Schotty didn't want to coach...anywhere

given the bubbling enthusiasm that buddy showed over gailey im having a hard time believing that was his second choice. i dont see how he could be that giddy if he was holding onto resentment that ralph had just nixed (haha timely pun) his first crucial decision at gm

im waiting to hear his comment on the situation, cuz it HAS to be coming soon, but if i had to bet now id say something isnt adding up and that the story is somehow inaccurate

I added one to your list...

historypete
01-20-2010, 06:37 AM
I loved the line "Ralph was not comfortable with Marty".

Yeah, because he knows how to put together a winning team. How can you not be comfortable with this guy????? He played for you Ralph! This is so sad.

chernobylwraiths
01-20-2010, 06:44 AM
I love how Marty was quoted in all news reports as not wanting to coach anymore and being happy in his life with what he does now and the minute we hire a coach there is all of a sudden a report that he desperately wanted the Bills job.

I'm sure a bunch of people here would have beat Ralph up for hiring another coach that is past retirement age too.

Buckets
01-20-2010, 06:58 AM
According to Tim Graham:

Sources Said!!!!!!

M
01-20-2010, 07:42 AM
I just don't get that if Marty wanted to coach, OBD said no, but asked his SON instead? If Nix and Schot are that close of friends, I just can't see that ever happening. :idunno:

THATHURMANATOR
01-20-2010, 08:06 AM
This report is just like all the other made up ones over the last month. Unless Marty comes out and says this I feel it is BS.

SABURZFAN
i think this is one of the best moves that The Old Fart made.

THATHURMANATOR
I just don't get that if Marty wanted to coach, OBD said no, but asked his SON instead? If Nix and Schot are that close of friends, I just can't see that ever happening. :idunno:
EXXXCACTLY!!!!!

MAKES 0 Sense.

No we aren't comfortable with your dad but do you want to coach? Come on...

djjimkelly
01-20-2010, 08:38 AM
According to Tim Graham:

i believe buddy nix when he says alot of what was said by the media was lies and made up stuff.

Typ0
01-20-2010, 04:01 PM
More like "your dad is out of our price range but you aren't would you please take this job for pittence"

EXXXCACTLY!!!!!

MAKES 0 Sense.

No we aren't comfortable with your dad but do you want to coach? Come on...

Typ0
01-20-2010, 04:01 PM
does a good job of covering all his bases in one fool swoop doesn't it?

i believe buddy nix when he says alot of what was said by the media was lies and made up stuff.

Ickybaluky
01-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Looks like someone got a hold of Marty to ask him about this. He does confirm there were discussions, but classifies them as "very preliminary". Nothing that reach the level to justify Tim Graham's use of "badly" to describe his wanted the job. He answers when asked if he felt Ralph Wilson was not interested in him: "Not in my sense of it. No, I don't think so".

LINK (http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=73757&catid=37)

REPORTER: How interested were you in coaching in Buffalo?

MARTY: Well, I wasn't certain, quite frankly, that I was interested in coaching, but Buddy Nix has been an associate of mine for a number of years. And Buddy in my opinion is one of the best personnel people I've ever been around. So, with that in mind, we had some discussions, but to suggest that I was ever a candidate would not be accurate... My discussions about it were really driven by the fact that I have such a high regard for Buddy Nix.

REPORTER: Did Buddy reach out to you?

MARTY: No. Buddy and I, having been together in San Diego for an extended period of time, are good friends, and, you know, we had some discussions about (my son) Brian Schottenheimer, and all. But, there was never a point in time that this was something that I was absolutely excited about doing, to be candid with you.

Schottenheimer briefly discussed the report that Wilson was not interested in him. We asked him if it was true.

"Not in my sense of it. No, I don't think so," Schottenheimer said.

REPORTER: Were you disappointed at all that there didn't seem to be a massive level of interest from the Bills in bringing you in?

MARTY: No, because I never considered myself a candidate. No, I didn't have any disappointment at all, because I was never a candidate in my view... My discussions, as they unfolded, were very preliminary and never got beyond that point. There was never any point in time in my opinion that I was committed to doing.

Prov401
01-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Looks like someone got a hold of Marty to ask him about this. He does confirm there were discussions, but classifies them as "very preliminary". Nothing that reach the level to justify Tim Graham's use of "badly" to describe his wanted the job. He answers when asked if he felt Ralph Wilson was not interested in him: "Not in my sense of it. No, I don't think so".

LINK (http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=73757&catid=37)

That makes me feel a little better.

Tatonka
01-21-2010, 12:16 AM
once again.. people freak the **** out over a piece of **** blogger quoting a ****ing source.. and ignore the direct information from the actual person involved.. im glad marty came out and directly addressed it..

the bills kept this coaching search quite.. and while i am not pumped about gailey, i do believe nix when he says that 80% of what we heard was ****.. dumbass reporters just have to have "a source" to put out complete bull****.. it is like throwing darts at a dartboard and hoping one of the hits.. and not a SINGLE ONE knew **** about Gailey.. none of them..

you just can't believe **** you read unless it is directly from the parties involved.

Syderick
01-21-2010, 02:14 AM
once again.. people freak the **** out over a piece of **** blogger quoting a ****ing source.. and ignore the direct information from the actual person involved.. im glad marty came out and directly addressed it..

the bills kept this coaching search quite.. and while i am not pumped about gailey, i do believe nix when he says that 80% of what we heard was ****.. dumbass reporters just have to have "a source" to put out complete bull****.. it is like throwing darts at a dartboard and hoping one of the hits.. and not a SINGLE ONE knew **** about Gailey.. none of them..

you just can't believe **** you read unless it is directly from the parties involved.

Yea exactly. With everyone reporting Marty (including himself) was done with coaching. One source supposedly decided to stir up ***** with him coming back.

YardRat
01-21-2010, 03:00 AM
Tim Graham needs to call up Marty and set him straight...of course he wanted the job badly, if Graham's 'source' told him so.

djjimkelly
01-21-2010, 06:59 PM
does a good job of covering all his bases in one fool swoop doesn't it?

sure it does but over the last several years espn and alot of media outlets have for no reason but to have a chance to bash someone said stuff about the bills that i know that isnt true

Typ0
01-21-2010, 09:09 PM
sure it does but over the last several years espn and alot of media outlets have for no reason but to have a chance to bash someone said stuff about the bills that i know that isnt true

You don't think there are any reasons to bash the Bills the last several years? What color is the sky in your world? This team sucks ass. The decision making is horrible. The players are marginal. The owner is a babbling idiot. There isn't a whole lot of reasons to say anything positive about this team IMO unless you need to do that to rationalize why you're spending your money on crap. If you went to the store you would just switch to a different product!

YardRat
01-21-2010, 09:20 PM
You don't think there are any reasons to bash the Bills the last several years? What color is the sky in your world? This team sucks ass. The decision making is horrible. The players are marginal. The owner is a babbling idiot. There isn't a whole lot of reasons to say anything positive about this team IMO unless you need to do that to rationalize why you're spending your money on crap. If you went to the store you would just switch to a different product!

Yes.
Blue. (actually, this time of year it's predominately gray, but...)
I've seen much worse.
I don't know about the decisions in general, but a lot of hires certainly haven't worked out the way we thought they might.
Some are. Some are better, some are worse.
Babbling? Well he is 147. Idiot? I don't think so.
I'm more optimistic about this season than I have been in a few years.That could change, of course.
No other product courses through my veins like the Bills do.