PDA

View Full Version : CG's thoughts on defense

Saratoga Slim
01-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Chan was on with Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwin a half hour or so after the press conference this afternoon, and they asked him what type of defensive system he was planning to install. He made the following comments:

Said "in a perfect world, we'd run a 3-4." Direct quote.
Said that the 4-3 can often be a tougher defense to run against, but the 3-4 provides more opportunity for confusing the QB, and he leans a little in that direction.
He hasn't yet watched enough film to make a full eval of our personnel
Once he's better acquainted with the personnel and has worked with whatever DC he hires, he'll have a better idea of whether it'd be feasible to make a transition to the 3-4, or if the team would be better suited to the 4-3.In general, talked a good game. Came across as credible, and offered some detail instead of the standard coach-speak. Didn't want to commit himself to the 3-4 or 4-3 at this point, just expressed some general feelings.

Bulldog
01-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the recap.

BillsWin
01-19-2010, 08:38 PM
I would love to see the 3-4 defense ran in Buffalo.

I think there are plenty of options via draft and free agency to get it done.

I would be more than excited if Nix lures McNeil over from San Diego to address the left tackle position and we sign Hampton to anchor the d-line at that NT position.

Then in the draft I would go Bradford in the first. I would even trade up to get him.

Prov401
01-19-2010, 08:44 PM
I think we are further off running a 3-4, than a 4-3.

That being said, there are a few VERY talented free agents that we can plug into our starting D in order to make a transition to a 3-4.

Richard Seymour, Casey Hampton, and Demeco Ryans come right to my head. If we can get one, or two of these type of free agents, and draft a monster NT...we could be in business.

Ickybaluky
01-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Absent an extension of the CBA by the end of February, then the FA class will not be there. There are a boatload of guys who will be restricted FA because it will take 6 years to reach unrestricted status. Guys like Marcus McNeil and Demeco Ryans will receive a high tender (about $3M) if they are not re-signed, which means their teams will retain the right to match any offer or get a 1st and 3rd round pick in return.

Also, Richard Seymour is certain to be franchised if he isn't extended. The Raiders gave up their 2011 1st, they aren't going to let him go in a year.

Hampton will likely be a FA, so he is available. However, the pool is much thinner than you think.

justasportsfan
01-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Once he's better acquainted with the personnel and has worked with whatever DC he hires, he'll have a better idea of whether it'd be feasible to make a transition to the 3-4, or if the team would be better suited to the 4-3.[/LIST]In general, talked a good game. Came across as credible, and offered some detail instead of the standard coach-speak. Didn't want to commit himself to the 3-4 or 4-3 at this point, just expressed some general feelings.

In a perfect world, he would come in during his interview and say "this what I would do with POZ, Maybin , etc.etc. and then I would run this type of O with what I see in, Lee, Nelson, Hardy , Jackson/Lynch ....."

In the bills reality world ,what Gailey just said (pointing at the midget trainer) "Why isn't Parrish suited up?"
s
Goes to show you he wasn't prepared because he himself was surprised he was offered a job.

Billick is the jackarse who had his assist lists ready and didn't get a call. That's why he wore his SB ring on NFL and they talked about it .....on the very show where they announced Gaileys hiring. Coincidence? Maybe ....maybe not!

psubills62
01-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Chan was on with Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwin a half hour or so after the press conference this afternoon, and they asked him what type of defensive system he was planning to install. He made the following comments:
Said "in a perfect world, we'd run a 3-4." Direct quote.
Said that the 4-3 can often be a tougher defense to run against, but the 3-4 provides more opportunity for confusing the QB, and he leans a little in that direction.
Once he's better acquainted with the personnel and has worked with whatever DC he hires, he'll have a better idea of whether it'd be feasible to make a transition to the 3-4, or if the team would be better suited to the 4-3.In general, talked a good game. Came across as credible, and offered some detail instead of the standard coach-speak. Didn't want to commit himself to the 3-4 or 4-3 at this point, just expressed some general feelings.
I'm glad to see he's open to playing different schemes depending on the personnel. I'm sick of seeing coaches try to force players into certain roles, especially when they obviously aren't good fits.

Ingtar33
01-19-2010, 09:46 PM
In a perfect world, he would come in during his interview and say "this what I would do with POZ, Maybin , etc.etc. and then I would run this type of O with what I see in, Lee, Nelson, Hardy , Jackson/Lynch ....."

In the bills reality world ,what Gailey just said (pointing at the midget trainer) "Why isn't Parrish suited up?"
s
Goes to show you he wasn't prepared because he himself was surprised he was offered a job.

Billick is the jackarse who had his assist lists ready and didn't get a call. That's why he wore his SB ring on NFL and they talked about it .....on the very show where they announced Gaileys hiring. Coincidence? Maybe ....maybe not!

I pulled this from the press conference too. it sounded like he had no idea who'd be his coaching staff or who the players were on his team. that's the voice of a guy called out of the blue at the last minute and offered a job he wasn't expecting to get.

Dying_-2-_Live
01-19-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm glad to see he's open to playing different schemes depending on the personnel. I'm sick of seeing coaches try to force players into certain roles, especially when they obviously aren't good fits.

One of the main reasons Jauron was criticized.
~ Gailey is gonna come in here... talk to Nix and the players... watch film and make a decision. Which i believe will be to stick with the 4-3 for this year.

justasportsfan
01-19-2010, 09:52 PM
I pulled this from the press conference too. it sounded like he had no idea who'd be his coaching staff or who the players were on his team. that's the voice of a guy called out of the blue at the last minute and offered a job he wasn't expecting to get.

The last one they hired who had a great interview and had visuals with him was Greg Williams. So not to be fooled by that again, they grabbed someone who didn't have a plan and the best way to do that is interview someone who didn't think he'd get a call.

I think Ralph hired Gailetybecause he was amused with 2 guys speaking with a southern accent at the same time. I think it's funny.

Looks like we'll be hearing DIDLEY POOO!!!! again

wmoz11
01-19-2010, 10:01 PM
If he wants a 3-4, then there's no need to run a 4-3 this year, even if it would mean a better defense. He needs to start drafting and signing players for the 3-4 and implement it ASAP.

Let's face it, 2010 is going to be the first year of a 3 year rebuild. There's no need to waste one of those years by sticking to the 4-3 for an extra 1 or 2 wins.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-19-2010, 10:08 PM
if gailey goes to the 34 i will be very happy!

unpaid_bills
01-19-2010, 10:18 PM
at least the man has a plan. one thing he knows football he has worked for some good coaches who know what they are doing

Nix and Gailey are a change for sure. Look at it this way, can it get any worse?

Cntrygal
01-20-2010, 05:22 AM
When I signed in, I was like "I shared thoughts?" :insane::boozer:

This could be really rough when Bills fans turn into a lynch mob :couch:

jamze132
01-20-2010, 05:48 AM
So basically we are going to have a no-name DC who probably is wishing for a job at the collegiate level...

Buckets
01-20-2010, 07:04 AM
So basically we are going to have a no-name DC who probably is wishing for a job at the collegiate level...

You have sources???

jamze132
01-20-2010, 09:48 AM
You have sources???

My left nut.

NorthCarBills
01-20-2010, 09:53 AM
~ Gailey is gonna come in here... talk to Nix and the players... watch film and make a decision. Which i believe will be to stick with the 4-3 for this year.

Agree. During the presser he stressed building the team plan around the individual talents. I think these types of comments, all things aside, are positives at this point.

psubills62

Yeah...at this point we have WAY too many 220 lb linebackers to be able to easily switch to the 3-4. We're probably 2 offseasons away from truly being able to switch with decent results.

Ron Burgundy
My left nut.

Ah, James Westfall.

I'm more interested in what Dr. Kenneth Noisewater thinks of the situation.

psubills62
01-20-2010, 09:54 AM
When I signed in, I was like "I shared thoughts?" :insane::boozer:

This could be really rough when Bills fans turn into a lynch mob :couch:

Haha you're not the only CG around now...

Saratoga Slim
01-20-2010, 10:00 AM

I agree in part and disagree in part.

I got the feeling he has a shortlist of DCs ready to go. On Sirius he said that anytime you get a call to interview for HC, you start thinking about who you'd bring in with you and maybe have some preliminary conversations with those guys. Moreover, he also said in the press conference and on the radio that his staff might not be names that you hear on TV every day. So I think he's got a pretty good idea who he's going to hire.

But I FULLY agree that if he was a serious target of this search for as long as Buddy insinuated, he would have been taking at least an initial review of the roster in the interim. And it didn't sound like he had. On Sirius, in the context of whether our current roster is suited to a possible switch to the 3-4, he said that he'd have to thoroughly review the roster before making a decision, but that "I know there's a pretty good group of cornerbacks up there." Didn't sound like he'd done much more than watch a few games on TV yet.

The alternative is that he WAS a target of the coaching search for a week or more, but didn't do his homework for the second interview. If that was the case, I'm really scared. But I don't think you get the kind of jobs he's previously had by being lazy. So yep, I do agree that, even if he was on Buddy's list early in the search, he wasn't seriously targeted/interviewed until late in the game.

Buckets
01-20-2010, 10:49 AM
My left nut.

That's as good as your opinion.