PDA

View Full Version : Switching to the 3-4......

Bulldog
01-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Assuming Gailey hires a DC who wants to employ the 3-4, where do you guys see the current players fitting in under the new scheme? This is not a Chan Gailey bashing thread, so if thats what you would like to do, please go to one of the other 50 threads to do that. I'd just like some input about how difficult it will be for the Bills to make the transition.

ServoBillieves
01-19-2010, 08:59 PM
To be completely honest, I think that no players status with the team is safe. An ideal 3-4 system with the players we have would be...

DT's: Johnson, Stroud, Kelsay (again, with who we have)
LB's: Maybin, Posluszny, would be nice to have DiGi back but BUggs will do, and Mitchell.

I would like to see the DT's be Johnson/Stroud/and pick up Pickett for the outside, or draft a big body to stuff the run and take up blockers.

I feel Poz is more suited to be an ILB in a 3-4 defense. more padding to make plays on the ball. Buggs proved he's worthy to be on this team, I wouldn't mind seeing another ILB brought in who is familiar with the system. With Jairus having the coverage ability, it would also make it easier for Donte to prove his worth as a blitzer and create some havoc flying up.

I hope we switch to it... it's a proven system.

Pinkerton Security
01-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Is there any reason he would switch to a 3-4? I mean Dallas was 4-3 before Parcells got there right, meaning Gailey, as a coach, had a 4-3. Plus hes an offensive guy. I guess it might depends on the DC he brings in??

Just throwing things out there.

edit: Sorry just read another thread where he said in a perfect world we'd run a 3-4.

However the Bills world is far from perfect, so lets so what DC we bring in, etc

Mitchell55
01-19-2010, 09:38 PM
DL- Johnson, Hampton, Williams
OLB- Maybin
ILB- Pos
ILB- Mitchell
OLB- Miller

psubills62
01-19-2010, 09:49 PM
I think we'd have to sign or draft a starter at NT. Kyle Williams could be the backup there, but ideally he would be a starting DE.

It would be great if we could run a penetrating 3-4, similar to Green Bay, where the 3 front linemen aren't just asked to take up space (a la Casey Hampton).

Here's where I see the current personnel playing:

DE: Stroud, Spencer Johnson
NT: Kyle Williams
DE: Kelsay
OLB: Schobel
ILB: Poz
ILB: Mitchell
OLB: Maybin/Ellis
DB's are pretty well set already

In my opinion, the area we'd be particularly weak at is LB. Maybin might thrive as a 3-4 OLB, but that's not a guarantee. Who knows which of our DE's could legitimately make the transition to OLB? And as far as ILB goes, Poz and Mitchell are the only ones who come close to fitting, and I'm not a fan of Mitchell.

We'd have to dump a whole bunch of those 220-230 pound LB's that we picked up this past year. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it could be a difficult transition.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-19-2010, 09:54 PM
I think there are 2 players the bills can draft that would make a smooth transition and they are brandon graham and terrence cody. graham had a great year as a 3-4 end and is 6-2 and weighs 275lbs... he is a little small for a 34 end but he is incredibly strong and stout with great leverage and quickness. graham is the type of player u can build a defense around! i think stroud williams johnson kelsay and resigning denney can round out the dline maybe we can also get marcus spears... olb can be schobel and maybin and then 2 young backups ilb will be mitchell and poz...

front 7 i see is

stroud denney
cody williams
graham spears johnson
schobel
poz
mitchell
maybin

again i hate to make comparisons to bruce smith but i really believe brandon graham will be close to that. he would be a great pick...

JCBills
01-20-2010, 12:57 AM
NT: ?? Looks like we're drafting one.
DE: Williams / Johnson
DE: Stroud / Johnson
ILB: Posluszny
ILB: Mitchell
ROLB: Schobel (probably retiring though) so Maybin
LOLB: ?? Probably have to draft one.

clumping platelets
01-20-2010, 01:01 AM
Rolando McClain :nod:

NOT THE DUDE...
01-20-2010, 02:13 AM
1. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">BRANDON</st1:place></st1:City> GRAHAM OLB
2. TERRENCE CODY NT
2. JONATHAN DWYER RB
3. DAN LEFEVOUR QB
3. ERIC <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">NORWOOD</st1:place></st1:City> OLB
4. SAM YOUNG OT
4. VINCE OGHOBAASE DE
<st1:address w:st="on"><st1:Street w:st="on">4. AUSTIN LANE</st1:Street> <st1:City w:st="on">DE</st1:City></st1:address>
5. SEAN LEE ILB
6. AARON MORGAN OLB
6. JOHN FLETCHER DE
6. ERIC OLSEN OG
7. DOUG <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">WORTHINGTON</st1:place></st1:City> DE
7. JIM CORDLE C
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

BILLS SIGN FAS
<o:p> </o:p>
QB <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">CHAD</st1:place></st1:country-region> PENNINGTON
OT DONALD PENN
DE MARCUS SPEARS
NT CASEY HAMPTON
RESIGN
WR TERRELL OWENS
OG RICHIE INCOGNITO
<st1:place w:st="on">S BRYAN</st1:place> SCOTT
S GEORGE WILSON
DE RYAN DENNEY
TRADE
KYLE WILLIAMS FOR <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">A 2<SUP>ND</SUP> RD</st1:address></st1:Street> PICK
AARON SCHOBEL FOR <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">A 4<SUP>TH</SUP> RD</st1:address></st1:Street> PICK
MARCUS STROUD FOR <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">A 4<SUP>TH</SUP> RD</st1:address></st1:Street> PICK
SPENCER JOHNSON FOR <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">A 6<SUP>TH</SUP> RD</st1:address></st1:Street> PICK
MARSHAWN LYNCH FOR <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">A 3<SUP>RD</SUP> RD</st1:address></st1:Street> PICK
OFFENSE
OWENS HARDY JENKINS
PENN <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">BELL</st1:City></st1:place>
LEVITRE OLSEN
HANGARTNER CORDLE
INCOGNITO OLSEN
<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">BUTLER</st1:place></st1:City> YOUNG
NELSON SCHOUMAN FINE
EVANS JOHNSON PARRISH
PENNINGTON FITZPATRICK LEFEVOUR
HAVILI MCINTYRE
<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">JACKSON</st1:place></st1:City> DWYER OMON
DEFENSE
DENNEY OGHOBAASE <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">WORTHINGTON</st1:place></st1:City>
<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">HAMPTON</st1:place></st1:City> CODY
SPEARS LANE FLETCHER
<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">NORWOOD</st1:place></st1:City> MAYBIN
POZ LEE
MITCHELL HARRIS
GRAHAM KELSAY MORGAN
MCKELVIN <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">FLORENCE</st1:place></st1:City> LANKSTER
MCGEE CORNER
WHITNER SCOTT
BYRD <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">WILSON</st1:place></st1:City> WENDLING

Griff
01-20-2010, 05:03 AM
What happened to Trent? He's paid less than Fitz and is better.

mysticsoto
01-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Gailey's comments on 3-4:

New Bills head coach Chan Gailey won't make a decision on a defensive scheme until his defensive coordinator is hired.
Gailey has run a 4-3 defense with the Cowboys and at Georgia Tech, but he's willing to change. "I know one thing," said Gailey. "I'm much more open to the 3-4 than I used to be because I know what a pain it is to go against it every week."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Defensive-approach-will-wait-on-coordinator/c078fcfc-6890-464e-8c71-03a8bc15f132

Mahdi
01-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Assuming Gailey hires a DC who wants to employ the 3-4, where do you guys see the current players fitting in under the new scheme? This is not a Chan Gailey bashing thread, so if thats what you would like to do, please go to one of the other 50 threads to do that. I'd just like some input about how difficult it will be for the Bills to make the transition.
Well some players will fit in the scheme and some wont IMO.

I think Stroud and Sp. Johnson can be DE in a 3-4 (5-technique) because they have the height and weight to do it.

I think we already have a NT prospect on the roster with Lonnie Harvey. The guy was built for it. 6'3 346 is exactly what you want and he also has some good athleticism to go with it.

Poz and Mitch are automatic at ILB. Maybin can be a good OLB and Ellis and Schobel compete at the other OLB spot. Schobel may not fit at all though. His speed dropping into coverage will be a liability.

I think we are 2 players away from running the 3-4 effectively.

As for Kyle Williams, he is a good player but he does not fit a 3-4 scheme. Too light for NT and way too short for DE (5 technique).

He can be traded for a low 2nd rounder or high 3rd which is good since we got him in the 5th.

Stroud - Harvey - Sp. Johnson
Maybin - Posluszny - Mitchell - DRAFT PICK

k-oneputt
01-21-2010, 10:25 AM
That looks right to me Mahdi.
If they do switch you can expect at least one front -seven player coming in the draft in the first three rounds, so that player you can plug in.

No way you are getting a 2nd rounder for Williams though and I doubt you will even get a 3rd.

mysticsoto
01-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Well some players will fit in the scheme and some wont IMO.

I think Stroud and Sp. Johnson can be DE in a 3-4 (5-technique) because they have the height and weight to do it.

I think we already have a NT prospect on the roster with Lonnie Harvey. The guy was built for it. 6'3 346 is exactly what you want and he also has some good athleticism to go with it.

Poz and Mitch are automatic at ILB. Maybin can be a good OLB and Ellis and Schobel compete at the other OLB spot. Schobel may not fit at all though. His speed dropping into coverage will be a liability.

I think we are 2 players away from running the 3-4 effectively.

As for Kyle Williams, he is a good player but he does not fit a 3-4 scheme. Too light for NT and way too short for DE (5 technique).

He can be traded for a low 2nd rounder or high 3rd which is good since we got him in the 5th.

Stroud - Harvey - Sp. Johnson
Maybin - Posluszny - Mitchell - DRAFT PICK

What about Ashlee Palmer? He should good promise last year in terms of speed and quick learning...and he was just a rookie. He's 6'1", 236...a little light, but could certainly put on more muscle/weight.

Ferrygoat
01-21-2010, 12:08 PM
I personally dont think Schobel can make the switch to OLB. They tried to do that with Aaron Kampman in GB and he struggled all year.

Mahdi
01-21-2010, 12:17 PM
What about Ashlee Palmer? He should good promise last year in terms of speed and quick learning...and he was just a rookie. He's 6'1", 236...a little light, but could certainly put on more muscle/weight.
I dont see where a coverage 4-3 OLB fits into a 3-4 at all. He could compete at ILB but playing inside and smashing heads with OLmen is not his strength.

Harris on the other hand can compete at ILB. He's 6'2 235 right now, and if he adds a few pounds he has the demeanor to play on the inside.