PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 would be the end of Schobel

Mitchell55
01-19-2010, 10:20 PM
I highly doubt Schobel will stay if we switch and we would be forced to trade Stroud. Stroud is 300 lbs but a small framed 300 lbs so he cant be a NT, hes to old and slow for DE, so I think wed be forced to trade him for maybe a 4th

DrGraves
01-19-2010, 10:27 PM
he's one of a better players... you're going to give him up for a 4th round pick? smart move.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-19-2010, 10:27 PM
if we can trade stroud and schobel for 3rd or 4th rd picks pull the trigger and get what u can or them now... we are rebuilding and need as many picks as possible...

Dying_-2-_Live
01-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Gotta agree with you on the Schobel thing, but Stroud could probably handle being an end in the 3-4...However I still believe with the current staff we have... There will be little change to the defensive scheme. But major "tweeks" could improve the current 4-3 we have in place.

Mitchell55
01-19-2010, 10:35 PM
he's one of a better players... you're going to give him up for a 4th round pick? smart move.

We got him for a 3rd and 5th. 2 years later he got injured again and had a very bad year where we were last in run defense. So yea, a 4th. Hes getting old

Scumbag College
01-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Gotta agree with you on the Schobel thing, but Stroud could probably handle being an end in the 3-4...However I still believe with the current staff we have... There will be little change to the defensive scheme. But major "tweeks" could improve the current 4-3 we have in place.

I always thought Stroud would be a good 3-4 end. What the Bills would desperately need would be the big NT in the middle.

Mitchell55
01-19-2010, 10:36 PM

I think hes to slow and same with Schobel, im not sure how well he would react to playing 4-3 to now 3-4 after all these years

Dying_-2-_Live
01-19-2010, 10:37 PM
I always thought Stroud would be a good 3-4 end. What the Bills would desperately need would be the big NT in the middle.

The absolutely ideal NT is coming out in this years draft... Terrence Cody

Dying_-2-_Live
01-19-2010, 10:39 PM
I think hes to slow and same with Schobel, im not sure how well he would react to playing 4-3 to now 3-4 after all these years

But i have a feeling he could manhandle some of the smallish OT in the league with pure strength... not speed

Mitchell55
01-19-2010, 10:40 PM
But i have a feeling he could manhandle some of the smallish OT in the league with pure strength... not speed

True

Stroud, Hampton, Williams

Sounds scary ha ha. Your actually warming me up to the idea

Dying_-2-_Live
01-19-2010, 10:44 PM
True

Stroud, Hampton, Williams

Sounds scary ha ha. Your actually warming me up to the idea

hmmm... Hampton would be a nice pick up. I still say find a way to trade back into the first and get Cody aswell. Have them rotate, because i have concerns about his weight and how he'd hold up playing at the NFL level. PLaying in 90 degree weather (away games obviously) is hard for Roscoe Parrish. Imagine Cody! :handball:

Luisito23
01-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Both Stroud, and Schobel are old, and washed up, we'll be lucky to get a 4th. for either of them. Now stop dreaming, and move on.

clumping platelets
01-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Stroud could play 3-4 DE for a year while new pieces are put into place. But I say stay with the 4-3.....works for the Vikings and Colts

Throne Logic
01-19-2010, 11:06 PM
The hiring of Chan Gailey probably didn't do much to tilt the odds in favor of Schobel returning next year. I bet he ultimately waits to see who the DC is going to be. If it comes down to it, faced with learning an entirely new system is most likely going to send him right off into retirement.

sven233
01-19-2010, 11:11 PM
The Bills could switch to a 3-4 if they wanted to and I think it wouldn't take as much work as some fear.

The first thing they would need to do is go out and get.........and I can't believe I am saying this because he is so dirty........VINCE WILFORK. I know he won't come cheap, but he is just heading into the prime of his career at 28 or so. Yes, the Cheatriots* may re-sign him, but that is not a guarantee by any means. The Cheatriots* have a history of letting guys like this go at this point. So, this would be the first step.

With this signing, I think we would actually have the starting pieces in place on the D-Line. Stroud would make a very good 3-4 DE with his size and athletic ability. He would be fine on 1 side. Williams, while not the tallest guy out there, still has good size and could play the other DE I believe. They can always draft another DE in the 2nd or 3rd rounds that might work as well. But I think Stroud and Williams could play the DEs in a 3-4.

Then, the no-brainer move. Maybin moves to one of the OLB positions in the 3-4. From there, the first pick in the draft could go a bunch of different ways depending on who is available. While the chances are maybe slim, if we could pick up either McClain or Spikes with the first pick, I think we will be OK in terms of our starting LBS. We would have Poz and McClain/Spikes in the middle with Maybin and Mitchell on the outside. So, the starting positions would be all set at this point. Depth would be a problem so they would have to do some work in FA and the draft, but in a 3-4 system, our starters would look pretty good, I think.

STROUD WILFORK WILLIAMS

MAYBIN POZ MCCLAIN MITCHELL

Add in our great secondary (I believe our secondary is one of the best in the league already) and I think you starting 3-4 defense would be pretty good.

So, while it would take a little work, i think it is possible to put a 3-4 defense on the field that is pretty good.....at least on paper.

Dying_-2-_Live
01-19-2010, 11:15 PM
The Bills could switch to a 3-4 if they wanted to and I think it wouldn't take as much work as some fear.

The first thing they would need to do is go out and get.........and I can't believe I am saying this because he is so dirty........VINCE WILFORK. I know he won't come cheap, but he is just heading into the prime of his career at 28 or so. Yes, the Cheatriots* may re-sign him, but that is not a guarantee by any means. The Cheatriots* have a history of letting guys like this go at this point. So, this would be the first step.

With this signing, I think we would actually have the starting pieces in place on the D-Line. Stroud would make a very good 3-4 DE with his size and athletic ability. He would be fine on 1 side. Williams, while not the tallest guy out there, still has good size and could play the other DE I believe. They can always draft another DE in the 2nd or 3rd rounds that might work as well. But I think Stroud and Williams could play the DEs in a 3-4.

Then, the no-brainer move. Maybin moves to one of the OLB positions in the 3-4. From there, the first pick in the draft could go a bunch of different ways depending on who is available. While the chances are maybe slim, if we could pick up either McClain or Spikes with the first pick, I think we will be OK in terms of our starting LBS. We would have Poz and McClain/Spikes in the middle with Maybin and Mitchell on the outside. So, the starting positions would be all set at this point. Depth would be a problem so they would have to do some work in FA and the draft, but in a 3-4 system, our starters would look pretty good, I think.

STROUD WILFORK WILLIAMS

MAYBIN POZ MCCLAIN MITCHELL

Add in our great secondary (I believe our secondary is one of the best in the league already) and I think you starting 3-4 defense would be pretty good.

So, while it would take a little work, i think it is possible to put a 3-4 defense on the field that is pretty good.....at least on paper.

Doesnt matter how much money you throw at him... Wilfork would NEVER play for this team, nor do most of us want him to.

sven233
01-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Doesnt matter how much money you throw at him... Wilfork would NEVER play for this team, nor do most of us want him to.

It doesn't have to be Wilfork.........Hampton would be fine!!!!

I am not so sure Wilfork wouldn't want to play here, though. If NE lets him walk, he may look at that as a personal thing and might jump at the chance to play them twice a year. Look at what Seymour said the other day. He would play for 31 teams in this league.......

I agree.....it would be tough to watch him play here, though......

Throne Logic
01-19-2010, 11:30 PM

Moot point. If there is no new bargaining agreement, the he's a restricted free agent. If there is and he does become an FA, the Pats will resign him. They already made their choice last year when they traded Richard Seymour to Oakland for their 1st rounder. Doubt they let them both go.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-20-2010, 02:53 AM
Just sign casey hampton and marcus spears...

SquishDaFish
01-20-2010, 03:01 AM
Stay with 4-3 and sprinkle in some 3-4. Stroud can play end.

dannyek71
01-20-2010, 07:07 AM
For the 500th time. Schobel doesnt care about the defense we run. He just doesnt want to play. He is done.

Buckets
01-20-2010, 12:24 PM
I highly doubt Schobel will stay if we switch and we would be forced to trade Stroud. Stroud is 300 lbs but a small framed 300 lbs so he cant be a NT, hes to old and slow for DE, so I think wed be forced to trade him for maybe a 4th

Stroud, Marcus DT 6-6 310 ????

Mitchell55
01-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Stroud, Marcus DT 6-6 310 ????

Hes not wide tho

The Jokeman
01-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Both Stroud, and Schobel are old, and washed up, we'll be lucky to get a 4th. for either of them. Now stop dreaming, and move on.
How is Schobel washed up? Compared to other DEs in the NFL he is above average. As he was 27th in his position in tackles, 7th in his position for sacks, tied for 3rd in his position for pass defensed, 10th in his position for forced fumbles and tied for 2nd at his position for INTs. While there has to be some slight concerns that he's 32 but he's hardly washed up. He's tired of losing from the sounds of everything I've heard. A damn shame if we lose him as he won't be easy to replace.