PDA

View Full Version : Peter King's take on Chan Gailey

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 11:50 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/19/mailbag/index.html

Night Train
01-20-2010, 03:11 AM
Like all, he has to win IN SPITE OF WILSON.

shelby
01-20-2010, 03:57 AM
A couple of coaches who didn't want to become a candidate for the job made no bones about the obstacles: They worry about the hire of a 70-year-old GM everyone thought was on the back nine of his career, Buddy Nix. They worry about owner Ralph Wilson's meddling. They worry about where the franchise might be in two years. They worry about luring free-agents to Buffalo. In short, it's a tough sell to attractive candidates.

That sums it up nicely right there.

Historian
01-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Last point: I can guarantee you one of the things that the Bills loved was Gailey's attitude about how you can win without stars in the NFL. In fact, that's the kind of team he prefers. More than once in his career, he's told coaches he worked with: "You can win the World Series without Babe Ruth.'' In Buffalo, he's going to get that chance.

Right up Ralph's alley.

Get ready for some real boring, uninspired football.

And please don't cry when we get no Monday or Sunday nighters either,.

YardRat
01-20-2010, 05:57 AM
The best thing about this hire has nothing to do with football, actually....

NONE of these dumb-ass talking heads had any clue it was coming, and neither did their sources. Now they are all resorted to either...

A-Admitting they are just as ****ing clueless as anybody.
B-Scrambling for excuses and making **** up to cover their asses.
C-Railing on the organization for the 'terrible' choice, and hoping like hell the Bills lose so they can salvage something and 'prove' how 'smart' they are.

**** 'em all and :gobills:

zone
01-20-2010, 06:07 AM
Right up Ralph's alley.

Get ready for some real boring, uninspired football.

There is another coach in our division that believes this same thing and as much as I hate them, they have done alright.

Pinkerton Security
01-20-2010, 10:07 AM
There is another coach in our division that believes this same thing and as much as I hate them, they have done alright.

i agree whole-heartedly. I kinda like this approach of Gailey's (if only because we certainly arent going to lure any big names here so he may as well embrace that!!)

trapezeus
01-20-2010, 10:55 AM
the talking heads have been right a lot longer than us die hards trying to spin things to make sense and in the end feel really upset that williams, mularkey and jauron didn't work out.

Gailey needs to win out the gate to have me give him any credit. i'm tired of pretending the bills know what they're doing when they have a 10 year record of not knowing what they are doing, promoting these know-nothings, and asking us to believe they'll find capable players at discount rates.

i don't think you need a team of superstars, but you need talent. the bills don't find talent, and they routinely pass on good players in their early picks. Then they get "teachers" instead of coaches that teach nothing.

Nothing ever changes. for a change of pace, i'm asking the team to prove to me first that this makes sense in the first 4 weeks of the season. if they aren't at the very least and entertaining team, i'll write off the 2010 season.

ddaryl
01-20-2010, 11:02 AM

I HATE Sunday and Monday night football. hate it hate it hate it.

Football is for Sunday afternoons only for me..

HHURRICANE
01-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Chan Gailey was a cheap pick who isn't going to challenge the owner.

Ralph what a great job running this team.

The last buffalo fan
01-20-2010, 12:00 PM
I HATE Sunday and Monday night football. hate it hate it hate it.

Football is for Sunday afternoons only for me..

:hi5: same here!

Mudflap1
01-20-2010, 12:05 PM
The best thing about this hire has nothing to do with football, actually....

NONE of these dumb-ass talking heads had any clue it was coming, and neither did their sources. Now they are all resorted to either...

I totally disagree with you here. Did you ever think that maybe the reason any of the professionals didn't have a clue this hire was coming was because the hire was so unbelievably out of left field that no one with any sanity would believe that the Bills would have gone this direction? And that's saying something, because the Bills were already a laughingstock. My reasoning is a lot closer to the truth than what you are trying to get at. It's not like the Bills made some unbelievably stealth, savvy hire. They went the cheap route by picking a guy off of the scrap heap whom everybody in the industry thought was a fringe choice to even be a coordinator in the NFL again, let alone a head coach. I seriously doubt that Bills Nation is getting the last laugh with this one.

YardRat
01-20-2010, 12:12 PM
I totally disagree with you here. Did you ever think that maybe the reason any of the professionals didn't have a clue this hire was coming was because the hire was so unbelievably out of left field that no one with any sanity would believe that the Bills would have gone this direction? And that's saying something, because the Bills were already a laughingstock. My reasoning is a lot closer to the truth than what you are trying to get at. It's not like the Bills made some unbelievably stealth, savvy hire. They went the cheap route by picking a guy off of the scrap heap whom everybody in the industry thought was a fringe choice to even be a coordinator in the NFL again, let alone a head coach. I seriously doubt that Bills Nation is getting the last laugh with this one.

'Sources' are called such for a reason.

If their 'sources' were valid, or had any credibility, this wouldn't have come 'out of left field'.

They obviously don't know any more than the average fan, and this process proved.

"Cowher is interested."
"Frazier is the man."
"Schotty wanted the job badly."

My ass...